Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 17 around the NFL

Can't wait to watch the Titans get their asses handed to them by the Cowboys tonight. On the other hand, that means more Cowboy goodness which is always irratating.

I haven’t had the chance to research it. But the 2022 AFC South will likely go down as the worst season any NFL division has ever had.

And the Texans are still bringing up the rear.

I haven’t had the chance to research it. But the 2022 AFC South will likely go down as the worst season any NFL division has ever had.

There have been 7-9 playoff teams. I wonder where the AFC/NFC South winners will end up?

It's possible that Carolina can win the NFCS with a 7-10 record
Barring a tie the AFCS winner will have at least 8 wins

If Carolina wins the NFCS then would their draft position go from being with the rest of the 7-10 teams and out of playoffs to being with the Division winners or Wild Card teams? Does it work like that.

Because for Carolina that would suck.

If Carolina wins the NFCS then would their draft position go from being with the rest of the 7-10 teams and out of playoffs to being with the Division winners or Wild Card teams? Does it work like that.

Yes you're correct...playoff teams' draft order is based on the outcome of the playoffs. If Carolina gets into the playoffs with a 7-10 record, then loses in the SB they will draft at #30 this year. Normally the SB loser drafts at #31 but Miami forfeited their 1st rd pick this year. Here are the draft order rules:

1 Non-playoff teams get picks 1-18 -- the team with the worst record picks first overall
2 Teams eliminated in the Wild Card round get picks 19-24
3 Teams eliminated in the Divisional round get picks 25-28
4 Teams eliminated in the Conference Championships get picks 29-30
5 Super Bowl loser gets pick 31
6 Super Bowl winner gets pick 32
7 Tiebreakers: strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, interconference tiebreakers, coin toss
8 This order applies to all seven rounds of the draft with tied teams cycling positions from round to round
9 Weeks before the draft, up to a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lost significant free agents -- these picks are made after rounds 3-7

It would suck more to not win your division and not get to play in the playoffs at all.

I hate that tonight..... albeit with minimal enthusiasm. And only a short span of time... I will be hoping the Cowboys win.....

Which tastes like bile to speak... but.... tonight is the superbowl of my most hated teans.

The Hatred Bowl.

In a perfect world the Cowboys and Titans play almost endlessly causing the Titans to forfeit their remaing game. Jags win the division title..... and the Cowboys and Titans eventually settle in a tie of suckage so both can lose.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Glad that Tennessee is losing, not so much with Dallas winning. The game itself has been kind of sleep worthy, I'm surprised I'm still watching.

For team building purposes moving from 8 to 19 in each round would hurt more than the miniscule gain from a one and done

You say that like you think the 19th pick can't be better than the 8th pick or 51 can't be better than 40. I think that's taking draft positioning a little too far. Yeah, if you're in the Texans situation, where you're bad, got nothing to play for and #1 is in your grasp, then by all means play for the draft. But even then you've still got to make the right pick. It's all a crapshoot. But if you have a chance to make the playoffs, you take that every time. You never know what can happen once you get there. The 9-7 Giants got hot at the right time once and won a Superb Owl.

You say that like you think the 19th pick can't be better than the 8th pick or 51 can't be better than 40. I think that's taking draft positioning a little too far. Yeah, if you're in the Texans situation, where you're bad, got nothing to play for and #1 is in your grasp, then by all means play for the draft. But even then you've still got to make the right pick. It's all a crapshoot. But if you have a chance to make the playoffs, you take that every time. You never know what can happen once you get there. The 9-7 Giants got hot at the right time once and won a Superb Owl.
It's as if you didn't follow the conversation at all

Are you sure about that? Getting killed in the WC game?

That’s assuming they get killed in the WC game. Those 7-9 Seahawks stole their WC game against the heavily favored Saints in the playoffs. The game where Marshawn Lynch went beastmode maybe his most famous time.

I guarantee Seahawks fans would rather have that iconic moment in their franchise history than picking a little earlier in the draft and staying home. Fans like going to playoff games more than draft parties (or so i’m told).

Congrats, 2022 AFC South! You are only the 3rd worst division in NFL history, with a guaranteed week 18 record of .500.

2008 NFC South - .343
2014 NFC West - .351
2022 AFC South - .353

The Texans did their part, going a perfect oh for 11 in out of division games for the first time in franchise history.

Congrats, 2022 AFC South! You are only the 3rd worst division in NFL history, with a guaranteed week 18 record of .500.

2008 NFC South - .343
2014 NFC West - .351
2022 AFC South - .353

The Texans did their part, going a perfect oh for 11 in out of division games for the first time in franchise history.

You know what’s sad? Lovie and Pep inherited a 4 win team from last season and managed to thwart and put into reverse, Mill’s development while getting the entire team to perform poor enough to secure the first pick in the draft. This is after they managed to add some solid contributors via the draft.

Back