Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 16: Bengals playing Spoiler

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The more answerable question..
.. have the Texans had a game that the first wasnt wasted? :kitten:
Last season they had 2 FGs and 1 TD on their opening drive. The TD was the week 17 game the starters sat out. They score on their 1st drive against KC in the playoff game, and that’s it. 0 points this season on their 1st possession.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
Last season they had 2 FGs and 1 TD on their opening drive. The TD was the week 17 game the starters sat out. They score on their 1st drive against KC in the playoff game, and that’s it. 0 points this season on their 1st possession.
That's pretty bad. What does the rest of the League look like?

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
not that it's any better, but we have 7 points.

I believe it was against the Jags, but don't hold me to that.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
My bad. We do have 1 TD this season on opening drive - against Jacksonville.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Commentators getting on this D for their effort. Fair comment. I hope people don’t have revisionist history when thinking about RAC, he took over a decent D from Wade and it stayed OK for a few years, but he’s overseen a big decline here.
I can’t put that all on Rac.

They haven’t done a whole lot to bolster this defense and they’ve actually let good pieces get away.

The offensive guru HC needed to pour resources into the offense over and over again to keep the offense at an acceptable level.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I can’t put that all on Rac.

They haven’t done a whole lot to bolster this defense and they’ve actually let good pieces get away.

The offensive guru HC needed to pour resources into the offense over and over again to keep the offense at an acceptable level.

What an accurate statement …. it should be played loudly every hour. We get so caught up on this player or that !

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If my research is correct, this is the 1st game the Texans had a 300 yard passer, 100 yard rusher and 100 yard receiver in the same game since week 4 of 2013. That was a loss too so it looks that really doesn't matter much, but still.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why do you hate to say you’re disappointed in the Texans? It’s why they exist...to disappoint their fans. And this particular version of the Texans are very, very good at it. They’ve had a ton of practice doing it. This is pretty much the same team, on defense especially that is responsible for 51-7. No shame in being disappointed by this team. They are the new and improved factory of disappointments. Expert craftsmen in their, pardon the pun, field. Their moto is You Thought We Were Going To Win, Didn’t You. Each loss is lovingly handcrafted for your pain.
But... But.... Hey, They've got the best gameday experience in the NFL.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Watson needs to work on his mechanics to improve accuracy. If he could only tighten up windows and stop missing wide open receivers. Probably real simple fix, like just adjusting launch point, to keep balls from sailing.
He could be top 3 in the league if he did.
Now he just needs a couple of good receivers, a reliable running game and a defense on the other side of the ball.

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
Watson needs to work on his mechanics to improve accuracy. If he could only tighten up windows and stop missing wide open receivers. Probably real simple fix, like just adjusting launch point, to keep balls from sailing.
Yeah. If only he could go from the 2nd highest passer rating and 3rd highest completion % to 1st in both categories. All he needs to do work on his mechanics to make that happen. Hopefully, someone on the Texans Talk forum can point him in the right direction.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah. If only he could go from the 2nd highest passer rating and 3rd highest completion % to 1st in both categories. All he needs to do work on his mechanics to make that happen. Hopefully, someone on the Texans Talk forum can point him in the right direction.
Watson did what he should've done against a terrible defense. Played well. Still only put up 10 pts in the 1st half against that putrid defense. This is where the game was really lost.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I have never seen so many successful screen plays in my life. Can someone explain to me why the Texans couldn't stop it? What were they doing so wrong?

BTW, it was a lot of XSF out blocking those screens. I remember when XSF was on the Texans, people were saying we don't have athletic Linemen to run an effective screen. Oops!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I have never seen so many successful screen plays in my life. Can someone explain to me why the Texans couldn't stop it? What were they doing so wrong?

BTW, it was a lot of XSF out blocking those screens. I remember when XSF was on the Texans, people were saying we don't have athletic Linemen to run an effective screen. Oops!
The bad coaching isn't limited to the offensive side of the ball.

Decim8

Veteran
Watson did what he should've done against a terrible defense. Played well. Still only put up 10 pts in the 1st half against that putrid defense. This is where the game was really lost.
Wrong, the Game was lost when the defense made a practice squad player whos only started 6 games in his 5 year career look like an all pro.

Bengals defense = Terrible
Texans defense = Piss poor

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

Recognition, effort and the athletic ability to get there.

Based on JJs post game talk my guess is that they were severely lacking in the effort category.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Do you know exactly what the players were doing wrong? Was it a matter of the players gotta do a better job at recognizing it? Were we running too much man coverage?
I can't recall the specific players, and I damn sure ain't going back to re-watch, but I do remember a couple of occasions where it simply wasn't recognized and they ran themselves out of the play. Other than that, when you're constantly getting beat by the same thing over and over, I tend to lean on it being a poor job of coaching it up.

Then again, the Texans have been in the wrong gaps and taking wrong angles on any play for most of the season anyway. I don't see why it would be different on screen plays. Either the players are that dumb or less talented, or it's coaching. I think we can all agree Reid has regressed. Mercilus was at least decent once, now he's a nobody. Name the last rookie who improved from season to season.

We cap on Kelly and Devlin all the time, but I think the guys on the defensive side are just as bad. Weaver, Broomfield, Rumph, Dent, Lynn, they should be getting as much crap as Kelly and Devlin do. And yeah, other than Weaver, I had to go look up who those guys even were.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We cap on Kelly and Devlin all the time, but I think the guys on the defensive side are just as bad. Weaver, Broomfield, Rumph, Dent, Lynn, they should be getting as much crap as Kelly and Devlin do. And yeah, other than Weaver, I had to go look up who those guys even were.
They’ll all be coaching their last game for the Texans on Sunday. Many of the players will be playing their last game as a Texan (some their last as a NFL player). Not going to spend any time wondering why they are making the mistakes they are making.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I can't recall the specific players, and I damn sure ain't going back to re-watch, but I do remember a couple of occasions where it simply wasn't recognized and they ran themselves out of the play. Other than that, when you're constantly getting beat by the same thing over and over, I tend to lean on it being a poor job of coaching it up.

Then again, the Texans have been in the wrong gaps and taking wrong angles on any play for most of the season anyway. I don't see why it would be different on screen plays. Either the players are that dumb or less talented, or it's coaching. I think we can all agree Reid has regressed. Mercilus was at least decent once, now he's a nobody. Name the last rookie who improved from season to season.

The defensive coaching has been bad, but the talent has been severely stripped over the past two seasons on the defensive side of the ball. Not to mention all of the injuries this season. At least they can make somewhat of an excuse.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why do you hate to say you’re disappointed in the Texans? It’s why they exist...to disappoint their fans. And this particular version of the Texans are very, very good at it. They’ve had a ton of practice doing it. This is pretty much the same team, on defense especially that is responsible for 51-7. No shame in being disappointed by this team. They are the new and improved factory of disappointments. Expert craftsmen in their, pardon the pun, field. Their moto is You Thought We Were Going To Win, Didn’t You. Each loss is lovingly handcrafted for your pain.
Low expectations rarely leads to disappointment. :winky:

I don't think I can remember the last time this franchise disappointed me. Maybe the Nuk trade, simply because I never thought a team I root for could make such a monumentally stupid deal. I guess it shows that my expectations just weren't low enough for this franchise. Never again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Low expectations rarely leads to disappointment. :winky:

I don't think I can remember the last time this franchise disappointed me. Maybe the Nuk trade, simply because I never thought a team I root for could make such a monumentally stupid deal. I guess it shows that my expectations just weren't low enough for this franchise. Never again.
The Monday night game that the Titans/VY beat the Texans at the gun let me know winning was much more important to the fans than the McNair's. Since then I've had lowered expectations.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Wouldn't know these guys if they were on a milk carton. But this is the reason I hope the McNair's will go out and spend the $$$$ to put together the best coaching staff possible. I know people gripe about BOB's offense/DW4 etc... but his failure to put together a great coaching staff was BOB's greatest failure. At this point I would be all in on bringing Wade back as DC.

Last edited:
Either the players are that dumb or less talented, or it's coaching.

You have earned a bonus for hitting the trifecta!

austins23

Hall of Fame

Most of those screens were run at Greenard... he was lost

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Regarding XSF. I've made the point that it was not a reach for Smith to draft XSF. By all draft accounts he was a athletic OG with quick feet and agility who many thought could be a first rounder. The knock was strength and I thought that would be improved with an NFL strength program.

Then he got Devlined and we know the rest of the story.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
LOL. By all accounts, the Steelers are better than the Texans. Last week, that same putrid defense held the Steelers scoreless in the first half. A couple of weeks ago, they held the Titans to 10 pts in the first half. Washington might win their division and the Bengals held them to 7 pts in the first half.

How about the game was lost when the defense allowed a backup RB to go 46 yards for a TD on the opening drive in the 2nd half. How about their inability to defend basic RB screens cost them the game? How about when up 31-27 with six minutes left, allowing the Bengals to go on a 10 play 75 yard scoring drive?

Yep. I guess NFL games are lost in the first half with the score tied 10-10.
:hankpalm:

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Length of recovery doc?
Without examining him, it would be difficult for me to assess. It would not have been a complete rupture of the ligament, or he would not have been able to carry on. But even a Grade I would be treated with a period of no throwing followed by a rehabilitation program. This would not uncommonly take several weeks. Watson would likely not feel the full extent of the injury until 24-48 hour post injury (pain, swelling, guarded movements). Watson will not want to miss a game (which he would be well-advised to do so), so if he continues to play without proper rest/rehab, I can't see his play not being mired with more hesitancy and inaccuracy.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Without examining him, it would be difficult for me to assess. It would not have been a complete rupture of the ligament, or he would not have been able to carry on. But even a Grade I would be treated with a period of no throwing followed by a rehabilitation program. This would not uncommonly take several weeks. Watson would likely not feel the full extent of the injury until 24-48 hour post injury (pain, swelling, guarded movements). Watson will not want to miss a game, so if he continues to play without proper rest/rehab, I can't see his play not being mired with more hesitancy and inaccuracy.
With one game left in the season, he'll have plenty of time to recoup for next season then. Unless he injures himself playing in the last useless game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Regarding XSF. I've made the point that it was not a reach for Smith to draft XSF. By all draft accounts he was a athletic OG with quick feet and agility who many thought could be a first rounder. The knock was strength and I thought that would be improved with an NFL strength program.

Then he got Devlined and we know the rest of the story.
Yeah I remember that I was surprised that XSF was available where we got him. As I recall, most had him going late round one.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Most of those screens were run at Greenard... he was lost
I understand the DE/rush end has some responsibility, but it looked like the LB, #50 was responsible for the RB on two of the big ones, I think the first two.

He drops into coverage, thinking the RB is staying in for protection. Which is fine, but the moment he takes his eyes off the RB, he'd leak out into the flats. By the time Adams notices, he's out of position, the blocking OL has leverage on him & he doesn't have the strength BMack has to fight through them, or the quickness of Demeco or Cush to get around them.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I understand the DE/rush end has some responsibility, but it looked like the LB, #50 was responsible for the RB on two of the big ones, I think the first two.

He drops into coverage, thinking the RB is staying in for protection. Which is fine, but the moment he takes his eyes off the RB, he'd leak out into the flats. By the time Adams notices, he's out of position, the blocking OL has leverage on him & he doesn't have the strength BMack has to fight through them, or the quickness of Demeco or Cush to get around them.
I hear you. The very first screen I believe it was, Greenard ran right past everybody. You could see the screen coming. I think he was just so excited to be rushing the QB he forgot about the screen developing.