Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 13: The Brown stains smear the Texans

badboy

Hall of Fame
My guess, both Young and Stroud could be desired by both the Raiders and Lions and it would be to gain additional picks in 2023 and possibly 2024……not give away the 2023 draft. I could see both teams being interested in the 1st pick since neither QB makes it to 5 or 6.
You know that I want a trade with Detroit but the raiders have nothing I'm interested in

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If these guys suck (like some claim), then why are teams going to give their right nut to draft one of them? The Texans have the worst QB situation in football, if they are passing on these guys, then logic dictates that other teams would feel the same way.
These guys don’t suck…..it’s that the Texans suck far too much to allow the coaching staff to burn through another QB, especially a RD1-01 investment.

Other teams are much further along in their rebuilds, b/c they’re drafting behind the Texans and aren’t pushing for a serious playoff spot. They may be a QB away from becoming much better, so I could see those teams giving up a pretty good ransom if they’re sold on the 2023 QB prospects.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

You know that I want a trade with Detroit but the raiders have nothing I'm interested in
I mentioned that I’d swap places with the Raiders if WR, Devonte Adams and a 2024 RD1 was part of the package.

Carr would clear waivers and become a straight up FA who could then sign with any team of choice.

Hopefully the Texans could make enough noise in the draft to lure Carr over. The potential of having Adams (Raiders), Collins, Metchie, Dell (UH WR Draft), Washington (Georgia TE Draft), Aikens, and Jordan could be pretty dam appealing. Toss in Pierce and Johnson (Texas RB Draft) for good measure and that would be a pretty exciting group of skill position players.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Much IMHO

Easier to add impact players and no minor league system to have to deal with.
I think what makes football easier to improve is the salary cap. Good teams have to pay their good players, and sometimes they have to pay for guys that used to be good. Bad teams aren't forced to pay good $$$ for bad players (like the NBA and MLB thru max contracts or arbitration). They can pay for players the good teams can't, while still building their core through the draft.

Of course, these teams trying to rebuild need to understand how to manage their cap space to take advantage. This organization hasn't shown that skill set.

vtech9

All Pro
If these guys suck (like some claim), then why are teams going to give their right nut to draft one of them? The Texans have the worst QB situation in football, if they are passing on these guys, then logic dictates that other teams would feel the same way.
Why did teams want draft Ryan Leaf or Jared Lorenzon?

vtech9

All Pro
I mentioned that I’d swap places with the Raiders if WR, Devonte Adams and a 2024 RD1 was part of the package.

Carr would clear waivers and become a straight up FA who could then sign with any team of choice.

Hopefully the Texans could make enough noise in the draft to lure Carr over. The potential of having Adams (Raiders), Collins, Metchie, Dell (UH WR Draft), Washington (Georgia TE Draft), Aikens, and Jordan could be pretty dam appealing. Toss in Pierce and Johnson (Texas RB Draft) for good measure and that would be a pretty exciting group of skill position players.
Carr would not clear waivers. If Baker Mayfield didn't clear waivers, there is no way Carr would clear waivers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think what makes football easier to improve is the salary cap. Good teams have to pay their good players, and sometimes they have to pay for guys that used to be good. Bad teams aren't forced to pay good $$$ for bad players (like the NBA and MLB thru max contracts or arbitration). They can pay for players the good teams can't, while still building their core through the draft.

Of course, these teams trying to rebuild need to understand how to manage their cap space to take advantage. This organization hasn't shown that skill set.
The Texans currently have the 7th most cap space in the NFL and have the ability to create more if needed. What you're saying certainly used to be the case under RS and especially BOB. It's no longer the case. They will have 51 mil in cap space before making any offseason moves and nobody on the current roster they have to spend the cap space on.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The Texans currently have the 7th most cap space in the NFL and have the ability to create more if needed.
I could explain the number you're quoting doesn't include the draft pool, the other players it takes to fill out the roster. I could explain how the $30 million in dead money this year (not including the O'Brien/Easterby signings) could have been pushed into 2023. But what's the point. You're going to quote some extraneous number without understanding Caserio's mismanagement of the cap.

So think whatever you want to think.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Carr would not clear waivers. If Baker Mayfield didn't clear waivers, there is no way Carr would clear waivers.
Baker had an expiring contract and was cheap.

Carr has an expensive longer term contract.

It would be interesting to watch.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Lol exactly

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could explain the number you're quoting doesn't include the draft pool, the other players it takes to fill out the roster. I could explain how the $30 million in dead money this year (not including the O'Brien/Easterby signings) could have been pushed into 2023. But what's the point. You're going to quote some extraneous number without understanding Caserio's mismanagement of the cap.

So think whatever you want to think.
How much is the draft pool?

Do they have the 7th most cap space after all that you've listed? Can they make more cap space if they need it. I'm just quoting the OTC numbers. Also does it really matter this offseason since the Texans aren't going to be attracting top tier FA's.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Imagine you were the Bengals with $49M of capspace & 40 players under contract.

Imagine you're the Texans with $46M of capspace & 40 players under contract.

Can you comprehend there's more than $3M difference between these two situations?

The Bears have $126M of free cap, with 33 contracts. This is where the Texans should be, & could have been, after 2 years of rebuilding.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Can you comprehend there's more than $3M difference between these two situations?

The Bears have $126M of free cap, with 33 contracts. This is where the Texans should be, & could have been, after 2 years of rebuilding.
Last I read they had 51 mil in cap space and can get more if needed by cutting/trading guys, which you know will happen with probably 8-9 rookie contracts and UDFA's. In addition to saving even more by trading guys like Cooks, Greenard, M.Collins etc... if needed, but it wont be needed for a couple of more yrs because no top tier FA will want to come to Kirby.

The Texans are 51 mil under the cap. 7th most in the NFL, That's more than enough at this time.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Although I want to do a trade with both Seattle and Detroit and perhaps panthers I am not sure if we should use their model to evaluate players for our team.

badboy

Hall of Fame
IMHO the issues not only in the QBs being average but also the fact we don’t have the right coaches, mentors, or team around them to support and help them succeed.

It is more of a luxury pick at this point. Having a rookie QB sit a year is a waste compared to drafting a defensive player that would have an immediate impact.
If the Houston Texans draft a quarterback with the 1st pick I would not expect player to sit. Part of the reason of having the 1st pick is to bring a dynamic player aboard that will enthrall and pump up fans. I don't see that being done sitting on the bench. Mrs McNair should want to see full seats in NRG and positive, exciting things being said in media in particular national.

She has to know Hopkins trade ; Watson debacle; the Easterby turmoil; then Culley whiff has deminished Bob's legacy. She should be consulting experienced NFL advisors as of weeks ago. I Continue to think that The termination of Jack easterby was her doing and perhaps not the last we have heard from her.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think the trade Of Brandon Cooks was a miss by Dallas as allegedly balk was not on a round 2 + a 4 but because Texans wouldn't pay part of contract. Cowboys would have paid in this season only remainder of his $1 m base, coupled with 18 for 2023 or < than 9 per annum. Ridiculously inexpensive for Cooks with $13m for 24 AND Brandon said he'd renogiate. I don't see him being cut or traded.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Last I read they had 51 mil in cap spaceand can get more if needed by cutting/trading guys, which you know will happen with probably 8-9 rookie contracts and UDFA's. In addition to saving even more by trading guys like Cooks, Greenard, M.Collins etc... if needed, but it wont be needed for a couple of more yrs because no top tier FA will want to come to Kirby.

The Texans are 51 mil under the cap. 7th most in the NFL, That's more than enough at this time.
How many quality FAs can 51M buy (assuming they're willing to come)?

How much is a quality QB?
Let's assume Brady is a year or two younger.
Rodgers?
Even Geno Smith?

How much is a quality center?
A quality guard?
A quality NT? DT?
Edge Rusher?
Safety?

51M buy you very little while you still have to compete with other teams for their services (the FAs).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many quality FAs can 51M buy (assuming they're willing to come)?

How much is a quality QB?
Let's assume Brady is a year or two younger.
Rodgers?
Even Geno Smith?

How much is a quality center?
A quality guard?
A quality NT? DT?
Edge Rusher?
Safety?

51M buy you very little while you still have to compete with other teams for their services (the FAs).
4-5 solid starters.

You aren't going to be able to get top tier FA's to come to Kirby right now anyways. You can find solid long term starter level players at the DT/LB positions in this fa class. BTW, this is a weak fa class.

Add say 3-4 solid starters and add 5 starter level players from the draft, including 2-3 star level players and give them some NFL experience. You put this together with a healthy last years class and another productive draft in 2024 and the future is bright.

Right now things look grim because this is the beginning of the rebuild and the terrible coaching, plus having bad QB play and a tough schedule. It is what it is.

At the beginning of the year most fans wanted the Texans to be competitive in most games and for the most part they have been. Now it looks like the team is beginning to quit on Lovie, so that's a problem.

You likely won't find the QB answer QB fa. Jimmy G/Mike White/Dalton/Minshew are guys I would look at bringing in on three year deals as stop gaps and draft a QB in 2024.

Texansballer74

The Marine

How so?

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
If the Houston Texans draft a quarterback with the 1st pick I would not expect player to sit. Part of the reason of having the 1st pick is to bring a dynamic player aboard that will enthrall and pump up fans. I don't see that being done sitting on the bench. Mrs McNair should want to see full seats in NRG and positive, exciting things being said in media in particular national.

She has to know Hopkins trade ; Watson debacle; the Easterby turmoil; then Culley whiff has deminished Bob's legacy. She should be consulting experienced NFL advisors as of weeks ago. I Continue to think that The termination of Jack easterby was her doing and perhaps not the last we have heard from her.
Well said badboy. This is the reason why they can’t sit on the ashes twiddling their thumbs waiting on another year of sucktitude to make some moves. They have no other choice but to draft a potential franchise quarterback in 2023. Like you said, they have to start doing things to win back the fan base.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Well said badboy. This is the reason why they can’t sit on the ashes twiddling their thumbs waiting on another year sucktitude to make some moves. They have no other choice but to draft a potential franchise quarterback in 2023. Like you said, they have to start doing things to win back the fan base.
Fans don't have to be concerned with things like season ticket sales and holding on to sponsors. Another year of a dumpster fire is no big deal.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
4-5 solid starters.

You aren't going to be able to get top tier FA's to come to Kirby right now anyways. You can find solid long term starter level players at the DT/LB positions in this fa class. BTW, this is a weak fa class.

Add say 3-4 solid starters and add 5 starter level players from the draft, including 2-3 star level players and give them some NFL experience. You put this together with a healthy last years class and another productive draft in 2024 and the future is bright.

Right now things look grim because this is the beginning of the rebuild and the terrible coaching, plus having bad QB play and a tough schedule. It is what it is.

At the beginning of the year most fans wanted the Texans to be competitive in most games and for the most part they have been. Now it looks like the team is beginning to quit on Lovie, so that's a problem.

You likely won't find the QB answer QB fa. Jimmy G/Mike White/Dalton/Minshew are guys I would look at bringing in on three year deals as stop gaps and draft a QB in 2024.
That's the problem.
If the better FAs would rather not come here, the Texans would have to overpay like the Jaguars.

Or they will end up with guys like Kirksey, Kruger Hill, Murray, Quessenbery, etc.

I hate to keep raking on Caserio so let's hope he can do something like you hope for, next year and so on (if he's still here)

OptimisticTexan

Texans would have first crack on waivers, but the backend of Carr’s contract (2023- 32.9M / 2024- 41.9M / 2025- 41.2M and 40.4M is guaranteed after 15 Feb 2023 as well. His contract is also equipped with a NTC.) may be enough to scare teams into waiting. All interested teams could compete for his services, when he’s free to sign a new contract with a team of his choice or who brings enough money to the table.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's the problem.
If the better FAs would rather not come here, the Texans would have to overpay like the Jaguars.

Or they will end up with guys like Kirksey, Kruger Hill, Murray, Quessenbery, etc.

I hate to keep raking on Caserio so let's hope he can do something like you hope for, next year and so on (if he's still here)
As long as FAs appreciate the gross failure of the HC and coaching staff in developing/improving ANY levels of talent (and they will), without a massive overhaul of the coaching leadership, Casserio can have the biggest wallet to work with and the Texans will still not attract any decent level of talent, let alone ellite talent.