Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 12 -Miami Fish Fry the Texans

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Of course they’re not the answer. We all knew that way before the season started. I was hopeful that Mills would have continued to grow. Unfortunately, he regressed.
I’m not ready to toss the Texans QB’s under the bus for one simple reason…..the coaching staff, scheme, play calling, OL, and receivers just aren’t getting the job done. The receivers just don’t break coverage. Even Cooks can’t do what he was doing last season.

I don’t care who you put under center with this current group….they’d have the impossible task of putting a cherry on top of this shite pile, then trying to call it a sundae.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I’m not ready to toss the Texans QB’s under the bus for one simple reason…..the coaching staff, scheme, play calling, OL, and receivers just aren’t getting the job done. The receivers just don’t break coverage. Even Cooks can’t do what he was doing last season.

I don’t care who you put under center with this current group….they’d have the impossible task of putting a cherry on top of this shite pile, then trying to call it a sundae.
The reason why I’m throwing Mills in particular out there because of his accuracy. The first 5 games he was sailing his passes over his receivers heads. Then after the Bi he started throwing it at their feet. This is when he had plenty time in the pocket.
I’m not excusing what you said, you’re right on that part. As far as Allen I will give him a pass because he hasn’t had any time with the ones.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Nope, this just is more proof that a QB isn't going to fix what's wrong with the Texans.
Who said a quarterback would. Jzezzzz man. What I saw you can start by drafting a quarterback. That is the most important position of need. They have already started building from the previous two drafts. You have 20 draft picks in the next two. So let it play out.

Look at the Bengals for the latest example.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I don’t understand how you can throw other players under the bus, OL, WRs, but give a pass to the QBs. They’re backup material just like a majority of this team is.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Nope, this just is more proof that a QB isn't going to fix what's wrong with the Texans.
Glad to see you finally come around on this topic. Previously, when coaching, play calling, OL blocking and defense were mentioned as issues. You used to call it making excuses. :kitten:

vtech9

All Pro
Maybe I’m not recalling but I didn’t see guys coming out against Culley like this publicly.
Even with Culley's inexperience, and a few boneheaded mistakes, the Texans were more competitive last year than they are with Lovie as HC this year. On top of that, as bad as we all know Tim Kelly is, he seems to be 10x better than Pep as an OC. That's just friggin' sad.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who said a quarterback would. Jzezzzz man. What I saw you can start by drafting a quarterback. That is the most important position of need. They have already started building from the previous two drafts. You have 20 draft picks in the next two. So let it play out.

Look at the Bengals for the latest example.
There's not a Burrow in this draft class.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Even with Pierce among the leading rushers in the league, the run game as a whole was about 26th or so.

As for Pierce in particular, he's at 180 carries now, 74 more than he's ever had in a season. I'm wondering if maybe he isn't hitting a rookie wall. Yes, I'm well aware there's more to the run game, OL blocking for example, but that still doesn't ease my concerns. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it is. Never know with this organization.
That makes me think "Why run this guy into the ground in a losing, failed campaign for what will likely result in no real gain? Just platoon the RB position. Allow him to play, do well, not get beat up anymore than is absolutely necessary, and increase his load next year when maybe, just maybe it starts to make a difference? RB's is a short lived position and they take a lot of abuse. If you got a good one but you don't have much else why burn him up for no reason?

You dont know there is one either.

After watching football for over 50 yrs it's my opinion that there's no QB in this draft that can come close to Burrow.
Has your opinion about C.J. Stroud changed after losing to Michigan in Saturday. Specifically, in terms of Stroud's inability to win the big game with the most 5-star rated recruits in college football on his side? Should that be of some concern? Generally curious about how you view big game performance on the college level and whether that something that could cross over into the pros.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Has your opinion about C.J. Stroud changed after losing to Michigan in Saturday. Specifically, in terms of Stroud's inability to win the big game with the most 5-star rated recruits in college football on his side? Should that be of some concern? Generally curious about how you view big game performance on the college level and whether that something that could cross over into the pros.
Stroud is very overrated. IMHO

My opinion about him hasn't really changed.

Top 10-15 QB at best. Certainly not what I'm looking for in a QB, nor is he ever going to be a championship level QB. But I guess this depends on what you consider a franchise QB to be.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
That makes me think "Why run this guy into the ground in a losing, failed campaign for what will likely result in no real gain? Just platoon the RB position. Allow him to play, do well, not get beat up anymore than is absolutely necessary, and increase his load next year when maybe, just maybe it starts to make a difference? RB's is a short lived position and they take a lot of abuse. If you got a good one but you don't have much else why burn him up for no reason?
Maybe that's why he only got 10 carries last week and 5 yesterday

Texansballer74

The Marine
You dont know there is one either.

After watching football for over 50 yrs it's my opinion that there's no QB in this draft that can come close to Burrow.
I’m not acting there is. I’ve been watching it for 40 and your point?

I don’t care what anyone says both Young and Stroud are legit.

vtech9

All Pro
The problem with any first round QB that we bring in is that he is going to be expected to start right away. There is no QB in this draft that I would want to see starting right away. CJ Stroud might end up being a good Pro QB, but I wouldn't draft him unless we had the luxury of sitting him for a year or two behind a decent veteran. I definitely wouldn't take him at the top of the 1st round.

Bryce Young is just a no for me in the 1st round. At 5'10" and 186 lbs soaking wet, he is just too small to gamble on with a 1st round pick, and absolutely too small for the #1 overall pick. If you can get him in the 2nd or later, he'd be worth taking and sitting him until he can show he can be a viable starter. I think he will be exciting to watch on some plays, but I don't think he will ever win you a championship.

Now, I'm not a Rattler fan, but if he comes out, I think I'd rather take him in the 3rd, and sit him behind a Foles, Jimmy G., or some other vet for a few seasons as he develops. I'd probably take a flyer on Richardson in the 2nd if he's there.

I just don't see a franchise QB in this draft. There are a few that might be able to develop into one, but none that are worth the #1 overall pick.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The problem with any first round QB that we bring in is that he is going to be expected to start right away. There is no QB in this draft that I would want to see starting right away. CJ Stroud might end up being a good Pro QB, but I wouldn't draft him unless we had the luxury of sitting him for a year or two behind a decent veteran. I definitely wouldn't take him at the top of the 1st round.

Bryce Young is just a no for me in the 1st round. At 5'10" and 186 lbs soaking wet, he is just too small to gamble on with a 1st round pick, and absolutely too small for the #1 overall pick. If you can get him in the 2nd or later, he'd be worth taking and sitting him until he can show he can be a viable starter. I think he will be exciting to watch on some plays, but I don't think he will ever win you a championship.

Now, I'm not a Rattler fan, but if he comes out, I think I'd rather take him in the 3rd, and sit him behind a Foles, Jimmy G., or some other vet for a few seasons as he develops. I'd probably take a flyer on Richardson in the 2nd if he's there.

I just don't see a franchise QB in this draft. There are a few that might be able to develop into one, but none that are worth the #1 overall pick.
Texans have Mills who would start and wait until whoever is drafted to least become better prepared.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
...I just don't see a franchise QB in this draft. There are a few that might be able to develop into one, but none that are worth the #1 overall pick.
I think that's pretty much nail on the head. No glaringly obvious "He's going to be amazing" guy in here. Even those can and do fail to pan out but that's beside the point. 1st overall or at the very least top 5 pick needs to be an arguable "hit". I think picking a position that's going to strike a balance between "immediate impact" and "decent career duration" is a good idea. Hopefully you get a player with a higher chance to pan out than a 5'10", 186 pound guy who is immediately counting down to his first season-ending injury behind the Texans pathetic excuse for a line.

It's so frustrating because we're all in a never-ending debate over the "What comes first?" part of NFL rebuilding with this team.

vtech9

All Pro
Man bump that clown boy. Yes they’re that talented.
Ok...just wanted to see where you stood. I didn't want WD-40 coming out. I thought he'd be able to give us some exciting play, but I didn't think he'd ever bring us a championship. I don't see either Young or Stroud being on the same talent lever as WD-40, but since you do, I can see why you would want one of them. We'll just have to disagree.

I liked Mahomes coming out, but I didn't even want him at the top of the draft because I knew we would have to start him right away, and I thought he needed a season to get used to the NFL before becoming the starter.

I've been against taking a QB #1 overall for many years. Like I said before, 1st round QB's are expected to start day one, and I don't think any Rookie QB should start day one. I think they should be given a year to sit and learn. I still believe David Carr could have been a decent starter in the NFL if he'd have been given a chance to sit and learn while the rest of the team was built. Because he was thrown out there right away, his career was ruined.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not acting there is. I’ve been watching it for 40 and your point?

I don’t care what anyone says both Young and Stroud are legit.
Then why are you trying to discount my position. We need to disagree. But I can say you dont know about any prospect that's listed.

For instance you could say Bijan isn't going to be a good NFL RB and to discount your opinion I would only have to say, you dont know this.

I could say Carter is will be the best player in thisdraft and you could say you dont know this. What I do know is I will feel very sorry for Young/Stroud if they are drafted.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OL has managed to get worse……is that even ducking possible?????
the OL was passable until Green got hurt. Didn’t Cann miss a game as well? Maybe he’s playing at less than 100%

The tackles had been playing well, until yesterday.

There was one blitz on an empty set. If Allen didn’t panic he could have made an easy throw over the middle for a TD.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is why you don't sign older players during a rebuild. When the team is losing, they become a negative influence. This team needs upbeat, positive leadership. Especially from the coaching staff.
Good thing the rebuild hasn’t started yet. But I can’t imagine they can dump Cooks before his poison sets in

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good thing the rebuild hasn’t started yet. But I can’t imagine they can dump Cooks before his poison sets in
The rebuild started last draft. The full rebuild will start this yr when Caserio has plenty of cap space available and 10 draft picks. I always said it would take 2 yrs to cleanup the mess BOB left behind. Nothing has happened to make me change my mind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I understand that you want to believe that, but think about it. When Cal hires the next HC they're most likely starting over.
They were always going to hire another HC after 2-3 yrs.

Like I said before name 1 HC the McNair;s didn't hire? From Capers to Kubiak to BOB and we know Lovie was a Cal hire. Maybe Culley was the unicorn.