Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We like physical Rehabs

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Woodson Released by Oakland Do we take a chance on him and perhaps use him as a teacher and a special play person - I have a feeling he would be a heck of a backup. Is he done with the game? I think we have an excellent medical staff and a heck of a trainer. His work ethic is outstanding and he hasn't been a bad player either.

I am just curious why when a veteran player becomes available sometimes it is suggested we should sign them to be a "teacher" or a "mentor" and to use them in certain situations. IMO, if a team is going to sign a player to be a "teacher", then sign them as a coach, would save a lot of money that way. I didn't post this to offend anyone, just my :twocents:

That's what it looks like to me, but Oakland's move could be about money as much as anything. I think for a minimum it might be worth a look. Particularly if something has been overlooked. I will grant you, however, 39 is getting up there as an NFL player. He has been a very skilled player who might have some real value in other ways.

I think the Raiders held on as long as they could after Woodsons December surgery that used cadaver cartilage to fill holes in his left knee. Woodson has been a class act all throughout his career and has been one of my favorite, if no THE favorite player in the NFL. Time just catches up. No need to go after him, we've got a good imitation of Woodson in Coleman.
rwoodson_100701.jpg

Unfortunately the guy is done with the NFL. The cadevear cartiledge was done on 3 pro athletes I believe, and not one of the recovered to a point where they could play. Woodson was always one of my favorites too. I remember when he picked off that past near the goal line a year ago with Oakland and ran it back for a TD and was having a hard time catching his breath. I believe it was against Denver so who can blame him. The guy will be a great DB coach at the very least one day, and although its sad to see him hang them up I will look forward to seeing him on the sidelines again one day.

I think several have had this procedure and are doing well. Seth Payne had it done.

...but 40 is 40. 40 is a bit much for a DB.

I'm not sure if they had the cadaver cartiledge or not. But I know Woodson's former teamate Romo had it done, and I believe that a baseball player did too. I'll have to try and find out who that was.

See, what they don't tell you is that Seth is soooooo big that a cadaver ligament just wasn't big enough. They had to use a whole cadaver in there. ;)

he said that he doesn't want to end his career with an injury , so I think that he still has some time left in him . But not in houston we have a young core of players and bringing him in would slow their development and take thier play time. But where ever he goes he will just go out on passing downs and in nickle and dime situations.

F-minus67 said:
he said that he doesn't want to end his career with an injury , so I think that he still has some time left in him . But not in houston we have a young core of players and bringing him in would slow their development and take thier play time. But where ever he goes he will just go out on passing downs and in nickle and dime situations.

I agree, I dont see him as a everydown player anymore. But the man still has some game left in him.

I guess Payne did have his ligament replaced, but cartiledge is a different thing. As I said I'm not sure that anyone who's had teh cadaver cartiledge put in their leg has recovered enough to play again. (ex cartiledge is the spongy substance between your bones at the joints) The ligament replacement is pretty prevalent I believe. Whereas the cartiledge replacement is a little more rare, and I think its a 'last option' type of procedure. With all this ligament and cartiledge talk I can't help but ask 'Is there a Doctor in the house?' :rofl:

With all the injuries, he's done. But as far as what V said about him being 40... I got 2 words for ya buddy.

Darrell Green

There is one word for Darrell Green and Roger Clemens.

Freak-of-nature!

Guys like Green and Clemens are exceptions to the rule. Huge exceptions. Woodson had a nice second career as a safety after being one of the best corners in history. He is one of the greatest pure athletes to ever play the game and will likely end up in the Hall of Fame.

However, he is done.

texan279 said:
I am just curious why when a veteran player becomes available sometimes it is suggested we should sign them to be a "teacher" or a "mentor" and to use them in certain situations. IMO, if a team is going to sign a player to be a "teacher", then sign them as a coach, would save a lot of money that way. I didn't post this to offend anyone, just my :twocents:

Man , I could agree with you more. Everytime somebody with any kind of a name is released there is a thread about how he could help the texans and he could teach the young players something or another.

I want players to play and coaches to coach. :soapbox:

Yeah we should have a league of nothing but rookies! eek:

Back