Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

way too early: 2010 openning day roster prediction!

I pretty much agree with Pencil Neck's prediction, though I think the Texans will carry more than 5 LBs on the roster. Since it still looks like Cushing won't be there on opening day, I'm certain that another LB makes the squad. I would say both Bing & Adibi make the opening roster, with Sheppard and Torri Williams going to the PS.

Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky

Arian Foster, Steve Slaton, Ben Tate, Chris Henry

Vonta Leach

Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, Dorin Dickerson, Andre Davis

Owen Daniels, James Casey, Joel Dreessen, Garrett Graham

Duane Brown, Eric Winston, Rashad Butler, Cole Pemberton

Kasey Studdard, Antoine Caldwell, Mike Briesel, Wade Smith

Chris Myers, Chris White

Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, Aaron Schobel(Are we to assume Schobel signs here?)

Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, Earl Mitchell, Malcolm Sheppard

Zac Diles, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Danny Clark, Darryl Sharpton, Kevin Bentley, Xavier Adibi

Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin, Brice McCain, Jacques Reeves, Antwaun Molden

Bernard Pollard, Dominique Barber

Eugene Wilson, Troy Nolan

Neil Rackers

Matt Turk

PUP: Anthony Hill

IR: Tim Bulman

PS: TBD

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a player is placed on the practice squad he can be picked up by any other team with no compensation, my point is this, if the Texans place Malcolm Sheppard on the practice squad he's gone.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a player is placed on the practice squad he can be picked up by any other team with no compensation, my point is this, if the Texans place Malcolm Sheppard on the practice squad he's gone.
You're that certain? Sheppard's never even played in a preseason game. If he tears it up in the preseason, maybe. Right now, Sheppard's an undersized UDFA that's pretty much unknown in the league.

He's bigger than Omobi and being undrafted doesn't take away what he did at Arkansas, there are loads of players drafted high and never lived up to their billing, Sheppard fits the style of play the TEXANS look for, he's a high motor guy that wont quit, its well documented, to come into camp as an unknowned and get praise from the head coach is not a fluke or misprint, going undrafted was a hard pill to swallow for a player that was only the 2nd player in Arkansas history to be 2-time team captain, legendary FRANK, BROYLES was the first, good company i think.

Although the individuals you list seem about right, I think the numbers will have to make it work out a bit different. I think they need more than 5 LBs, especially with Cushing missing 4 games (they can't plan on just 4 LBs for the first 4 games). 11 DBs is probably a bit too high. And, I don't see them keeping only 8 on the OL, but 10 on the DL. If that's right, it means we'll probably end up cutting a better player in order to keep a poorer player to fill out a position.

When Cushing is out, they'll be able to carry 1 more linebacker. Probably Clark, who'll be cut as soon as Cush comes back. So that's a wash.

The lines were a tough call for me. I could easily see some shifting around but I thought this was very similar to what we went with for a good part of last year.

Torri could EASILY go to the PS to free up some room somewhere else. But he's been getting a lot more press than Barber lately.

I also struggled with putting Chris Henry as a 4th RB. That's another place where I could see us possibly just going Foster, Slaton, Tate with Johnson on the PS. But that's AWFULLY thin at RB.

It was also hard for me to cut JDB because by all accounts, he's played as well as Orlovsky to this point.

He's bigger than Omobi and being undrafted doesn't take away what he did at Arkansas, there are loads of players drafted high and never lived up to their billing, Sheppard fits the style of play the TEXANS look for, he's a high motor guy that wont quit, its well documented, to come into camp as an unknowned and get praise from the head coach is not a fluke or misprint, going undrafted was a hard pill to swallow for a player that was only the 2nd player in Arkansas history to be 2-time team captain, legendary FRANK, BROYLES was the first, good company i think.

So what's happened in the last 4 months that has transformed him from a guy who was passed on 255 times in the draft to being someone an NFL team would be willing to commit a spot on their 53 man roster to?

No disrespect or anything like that to newtexan but he has a huge man-crush on Sheppard. Not a bad thing as we all have players like or love, but MS is someone he likes and will reiterate it time and time again;). Really likes him and/or followed him closely at Arkansas.

This was the deepest draft ever for D.T'S, players get looked over every yr.,.... it happens, question is what are you are going to do about it , do you get mad at Mel, Kiper or Todd Mcshay or do you put in work and prove to the NFL world that they missed another good one, J.Russell was the no. 1 pick just a couple of yrs. ago, it happens.

This was the deepest draft ever for D.T'S, players get looked over every yr.,.... it happens, question is what are you are going to do about it , do you get mad at Mel, Kiper or Todd Mcshay or do you put in work and prove to the NFL world that they missed another good one, J.Russell was the no. 1 pick just a couple of yrs. ago, it happens.

Yes, the draft is an inexact science. Yes, players taken highly bust, and players drafted later (or not at all) have been known to be studs. But 255 picks went by without his name picked. 255. Why would another team jump him to their 53 man roster, after not even drafting him?

Back