Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson bad play thread

76Texan

Hall of Fame
So I was starting to scout the Vikings, in the process of watching their first game against the Packers.
Thought I take a peek at what Rodgers was doing.

Here goes:

Vikings vs. Packers
1 1:58 2 5 GNB 44 Aaron Rodgers pass incomplete deep right intended for Jace Sternberger
Rodgers had a wide open man underneath good for a first down, but he decided to take a shot downfield along the sideline, to a well-covered receiver.

2 11:32 1 10 GNB 44 Aaron Rodgers pass incomplete deep right intended for Marquez Valdes-Scantling (defended by Harrison Smith). Penalty on Holton Hill (no. 24): Defensive Holding, 5 yards (no play)
Vikings rush 5, Packers block 6
4 receiver vs. 6 defenders; that means 2 receivers in one and one.
Rodgers had all day to run around and didn't throw the ball until the 11:24 mark (nearly 8 seconds) into double coverage (by 21 and 22). The receiver was able to fight off the INT.
He was covered very well by the two DBs.
Luckily, the Packers were bailed out by a 5yd holding somewhere else (on no. 24)

2 8:23 2 10 MIN 12 Aaron Rodgers pass incomplete short right
Vikings rush 4; Packers sent all 5 out on routes.
3 receivers in one on one to the right.
2 receivers covered by 3 men on the left.
One deep safety.
Guess where the QB should look at? The one-on-ones on the right or the well-covered area on the left?

The 2 receivers on the left were never open (being covered by 3 defenders), but Rodgers kept looking there.
Finally, he scrambled to the right and threw the ball away at 8:18 (nearly 5 seconds).

2 8:16 3 10 MIN 12 Aaron Rodgers pass incomplete short left. Penalty on Aaron Rodgers: Intentional Grounding, 13 yards
Another 5-man routes
Only difference is the Vikings rushed 5, man coverage, single deep.
Rodgers missed the rub route on the right because he kept looking left.
Rusher got to him and he frantically threw the ball away at nobody.
Intentional grounding.
Luckily, they were still in FG range.

These things are more common than some of you think.
I stop right here.
There's really no need to go on for no good reason.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Bonus round:

2 0:47 2 9 MIN 24 Aaron Rodgers pass complete deep right to Davante Adams for 24 yards, touchdown

Rodgers forego two check downs underneath; he kept scrambling toward the side line and threw a TD pass around the 5-sec mark, to his 5th read, no less.

A check down would have made it third and short at the very least, but NO, that dumb Rodgers just has got to play hero ball.
:corrosion:

Or how about this one:

Hey Rodgers, that TE would have been good for a FG, why were you playing hero ball again.
That CB was in phase with the receiver when you threw that ball.
Why didn't you take the sure thing? What the defense gave you, ya know.

:hides:

I challenge you critics of DW4 to use those same critical eyes and watch the Packers' games and come back here to compare notes.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Bonus round:

2 0:47 2 9 MIN 24 Aaron Rodgers pass complete deep right to Davante Adams for 24 yards, touchdown

Rodgers forego two check downs underneath; he kept scrambling toward the side line and threw a TD pass around the 5-sec mark, to his 5th read, no less.

A check down would have made it third and short at the very least, but NO, that dumb Rodgers just has got to play hero ball.

Or how about this one:

Hey Rodgers, that TE would have been good for a FG, why were you playing hero ball again.

I challenge you critics of DW4 to use those same critical eyes and watch the Packers' games and come back here to compare notes.

Only Watson can’t do this as you can see. Lol

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bonus round:

Or how about this one:

Are you saying DW4=Aaron Rodgers?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Are the Packers 0-3?

I agree with you 76, that calling out Watson here isn’t warranted.

At the same time I understand the frustration with Watson. Not that they are making stuff up, but there are other plays (even early in the game) he makes poor decisions, or at least decisions that are hard to understand.

& yeah, the Wilsons, Rogers, & Roethlisbergers make them as well. But so do the Staffords, Newtons, & Foles...

We’re in the middle right now & none of us know where he will end up.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Are you saying DW4=Aaron Rodgers?

It's called making excuses for the things that the tape reveals that cannot be explained away to support a theory.

You'll find one , two , maybe a handful of these examples from the other QB's being injected into the conversation .... You'll find it to be the common theme with Watson.

Really I should stop commenting on the subject completely .... Time will tell the tale and the narrative will change.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No no , its not just on OB.

OB sucks
Kelly sucks (despite the fact that video shows guys open - Wide open on most plays)
The OL sucks
Receivers aren't getting open , ran the wrong route , can't catch ....
Yep, everybody sucks except the 160 million dollar man.

He's going to look good today against a beat up Vikes secondary and everything will be right in the world.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Was it just me or did Watson consistently throw behind his receivers on crossing patterns Sunday?
He definitely was. It looked like he wasn’t doing a good job with his feet. On a couple plays he kind of hopped left as he threw
I noticed this too during the game. Watching the All-22 right now and I just re-watched three plays where Watson either misses the short crosser, or throws behind them, missing out on some YAC.

In one play, it was simply a bad throw.
Another play, a DL jumps and puts his arms up and blocks the passing lane, causing DW to adjust his throw.
Another time, pass rush was coming from the right, forcing DW to step to his left while throwing to the right.