Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Walter Is Officially Ours!!

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
Texans | Team acquires Walter; Bengals fail to match offer sheet
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:29:29 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have declined to match to offer sheet made by the Houston Texans to restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter. He signed an offer sheet on a four-year, $6.4 million contract with the Texans. The Texans will owe the Bengals a seventh-round draft pick as compensation.

badassBENGAL said:
good for you. he could be a good WR for you guys.

could you tell us anything about him, like is he physcial, good hands, fast or what? does he have good attitude/character?

^^ i dont think so, but if we get burleson, that would make our receivers:

Andre Johnson
Nate Burleson
Kevin Walter
Jerome Mathis
Armstrong

That looks pretty damn nice to me

We can only hope to get Burelson. My above comment is a joke toward those who feel that our 3rd (practically second) round pick is to valuable to give up for a 1000 yd NFL receiver. I think the Walter signing is a good start, the Burelson signing would make this offseason much more bearable.

HoustonTexans said:
^^ i dont think so, but if we get burleson, that would make our receivers:

Andre Johnson
Nate Burleson
Kevin Walter
Jerome Mathis
Armstrong

That looks pretty damn nice to me

Well, if the Texans get Burleson, then I think that Walter and Armstrong switch off at the #3 spot:

1. AJ
2. Burleson
3. Walter/Armstrong
4. Mathis (who I think will be used more in situational passing plays)

No Burleson, I think Walter, Armstrong, and Mathis all switch out at the #2 spot.

bigTEXan8 said:
Well, if the Texans get Burleson, then I think that Walter and Armstrong switch off at the #3 spot:

1. AJ
2. Burleson
3. Walter/Armstrong
4. Mathis (who I think will be used more in situational passing plays)

No Burleson, I think Walter, Armstrong, and Mathis all switch out at the #2 spot.

If your going to list situational recievers then you have to throw Bush in there also, if we get him.

that will give us.

1. AJ
2. Burleson (if we get him)
3. Walter/Armstrong
4. Mathis/Bush (if we get him) on about the 10 recieving plays he should get a game

Then you throw in Putzier and DD and hopefully a improved Oline and I really like how this offense is comming together and the best thing is they will be very YOUNG.

I still think they are leaning towards a 3rd rounder or so as a receiver pick. It isn't deep but they just really haven't been reaching for studs so far. Givens was close but they had their price. Burleson would be nice.

According to the Texans Web sit this guy has worked his way from being cut to in the line-up by working hard and becoming a good special teams player as well. They also mention that he was a good blocker as a WR in the C running game. This indeed looks like a good pickup. We will have one of the taller sets of WR's. Now, who do you pick in the draft - Davis of Bush? After all you do have a RB, but still no TE. I still think Bush is it, but you can make a case for Davis given the kind of QB Carr is.....

Ibar_Harry said:
According to the Texans Web sit this guy has worked his way from being cut to in the line-up by working hard and becoming a good special teams player as well. They also mention that he was a good blocker as a WR in the C running game. This indeed looks like a good pickup. We will have one of the taller sets of WR's. Now, who do you pick in the draft - Davis of Bush? After all you do have a RB, but still no TE. I still think Bush is it, but you can make a case for Davis given the kind of QB Carr is.....

How many TE's have been the first pick in the draft? Ain't happening unless we trade down, which is very unlikely. All in all, I would say drafting Davis will happen when :pigfly:

The story I read in the Enquirer said if Cincy gets this other WR they won't match the offer sheet for Walter. Is that what you read because no where did I see where they definitely won't match it? Not doubting you, just asking where you read that in his article because article I saw was different.

LORK 88 said:
Texans | Team acquires Walter; Bengals fail to match offer sheet
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:29:29 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have declined to match to offer sheet made by the Houston Texans to restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter. He signed an offer sheet on a four-year, $6.4 million contract with the Texans. The Texans will owe the Bengals a seventh-round draft pick as compensation.

Ok pick -up but we still need a #2 WR. Hopefully we can get Nate.

Mailman04 said:
The story I read in the Enquirer said if Cincy gets this other WR they won't match the offer sheet for Walter. Is that what you read because no where did I see where they definitely won't match it? Not doubting you, just asking where you read that in his article because article I saw was different.

If you go to kffl.com/hotw/nfl it's on there

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had the following comments about the team's decision not to match the Houston Texans offer sheet to WR Kevin Walter: "Kevin has been a fine player for us, and he deserves the opportunity he'll get in Houston to be a starting receiver," Lewis said. "But as we build our roster for the upcoming season, we believe it's in the best interest of our team to allocate these funds to another position."

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Mailman04 said:

Maybe you better read the entire thread.

Porky said:
How many TE's have been the first pick in the draft? Ain't happening unless we trade down, which is very unlikely. All in all, I would say drafting Davis will happen when :pigfly:

how many TE's are workout warriors, have an excellent attitude, great hands, good blocker, runs a 4.38 40??
VD is my 3rd choice #1 pick and may slowly become my #2 choice.
VD is a beast and a playmaker-soon he will challenge gates for being the best TE in the league

TexanFan881 said:
Kellen Winslow was selected 3rd overall...we all know how that's gone so far.

#1-winslow isnt a bust yet- he broke his leg and was an *** last year.
#2-if you're implying winslows a bust, please name a position that hasnt had a high pick bust- except C who are never high picks-and even faine @ #21 could be considered a bust using your logic

This guy is pretty good. He has decent speed, good agility, good hands, and hes tough to take down. I like the pickup. Hopefully we can get a #2. This guy is alot similar to Gaffney and will probably be used in a similar manner.

Mightymike said:
could you tell us anything about him, like is he physcial, good hands, fast or what? does he have good attitude/character?

He was one of our more physcial WRs. He will go up to fight for the ball and has VERY reliable hands. Average speed and acceleration, but a good route runner. One of the nicest guys I've met on the team, so no character issues to worry about.

Maddict5 said:
how many TE's are workout warriors, have an excellent attitude, great hands, good blocker, runs a 4.38 40??
VD is my 3rd choice #1 pick and may slowly become my #2 choice.
VD is a beast and a playmaker-soon he will challenge gates for being the best TE in the league

I can hear the chants now....

We Want V.D.

Give us V.D.

Texans get V.D.

V.D. for me!

Are you ready for V.D?

:rofl:

I see we overpayed another guy. $1.6 million a year? I can't blame the Bengals for not matching that offer. He had 30 catches in 3 years in the league and we're giving him that much money as if he's going to be our #2 WR? I really don't like that. I have been saying we need a bigger WR target and he is listed at 6'3", 215 lbs., but he ran a 4.65 40 and obviously has below average speed, and has not proven much of anything as far as being a quality WR. We do need depth at WR, but we could have kept Gaffney for this kind of money, probably even less, and without giving up a draft pick (yes it's only a 7th rounder, but you could probably find a WR as good as Walters there). I don't understand this move.

Walter kind of reminds me of Joe Jurevicius, just not as good. Maybe he can make some of the same kind of plays, jumping up and grabbing throws for tds.

MorKnolle said:
I see we overpayed another guy. $1.6 million a year? I can't blame the Bengals for not matching that offer. He had 30 catches in 3 years in the league and we're giving him that much money as if he's going to be our #2 WR? I really don't like that. I have been saying we need a bigger WR target and he is listed at 6'3", 215 lbs., but he ran a 4.65 40 and obviously has below average speed, and has not proven much of anything as far as being a quality WR. We do need depth at WR, but we could have kept Gaffney for this kind of money, probably even less, and without giving up a draft pick (yes it's only a 7th rounder, but you could probably find a WR as good as Walters there). I don't understand this move.

I agree with you, it just seems like we keep adding overpaid mediocre at best talent to fill glaring needs on our team.

"Despite that fact, Walter delivered career highs in catches (19), receiving yards (211) and touchdowns (1) this past season. He also proved to be a solid blocker in the Bengals’ 11th-ranked rushing offense, and was one of the team's best special teams players.

The 255th overall pick by the New York Giants out of Eastern Michigan, Walter was waived by New York at the end of his rookie training camp. The Bengals acquired him on waivers, and Walter was on the practice squad for five games before being activated to the 53-man roster. He caught three passes for 18 yards in 2003, and followed that performance with eight grabs for 67 yards in 2004."

THIS GUY IS A SCRUB! STOP THE PAIN! GET SOME PLAYERS WHO ACTUALLY MAKE A TEAM!

Texan in Japan said:
He was #6 in 2004 draft.
Wow have I screwed up my facts today :brickwall :lol:

Maddict5 said:
#1-winslow isnt a bust yet- he broke his leg and was an *** last year.
#2-if you're implying winslows a bust, please name a position that hasnt had a high pick bust- except C who are never high picks-and even faine @ #21 could be considered a bust using your logic

I'm not trying to imply that Winslow was a bust. I'm just saying that we don't need to draft a TE with the first pick of the draft. I think he would help out our team, but do I think he would help us out as much as A.J. Hawk or Mario Williams...no. I think we can select Leonard Pope or Marcedes Lewis with our second rounder and they are also very good TE's in this year's draft.

Whew-hoo???

1.6 mill per for a special teamer/4th string receiver. Don't they already have a guy like this (making about 1 million less) playing in NFLE named Kendrick Starling?

the wonger need food said:
Whew-hoo???

1.6 mill per for a special teamer/4th string receiver. Don't they already have a guy like this (making about 1 million less) playing in NFLE named Kendrick Starling?

And we have our 4th round draft pick from last year who happens to have the same role, but be proven at special teams.

TexanFan881 said:
Wow have I screwed up my facts today :brickwall :lol:

I'm not trying to imply that Winslow was a bust. I'm just saying that we don't need to draft a TE with the first pick of the draft. I think he would help out our team, but do I think he would help us out as much as A.J. Hawk or Mario Williams...no. I think we can select Leonard Pope or Marcedes Lewis with our second rounder and they are also very good TE's in this year's draft.

or we could get D'Quell Jackson or Hali/Kiwi if theyv fall-or just use babin...

I don't know if you guys understand this whole scouting coach process.....but just because one team didn't want to throw to him a lot....doesn't mean he won't fit ours perfectly. Cincy isn't exactly a real running/short yardage possession passing team. He is lucky he got that many receptions on a team that deep with WR's and their offensive game. You have to take the other team a guy was with in mind....and trust the fact the coaches believe he can be used.

....and i hope all this talk about drafting V. Davis instead of Bush also is incorporating the idea of trading down. If not you'd be out of your ****ing mind to think we'd use the first pick on a TE....not to mention over a player like Bush.

the wonger need food said:
Whew-hoo???

cincy's recievers were a little better than ours. just cause he was a 4 for them doesnt mean he will be 4th on our depth chart. plus every thing i read said he has improved every year in the league.

MorKnolle said:

I'm the new guy in town, however, if you want the truth, at his pro day, he chose to perform at Northwestern in Illinois. He ran a 4.43 and a 4.47 in the 40 yd dash. He is a very sincere guy, with good hands, great character, and I wish him the best of luck. Congrats Kevin.:

taxman said:
I'm the new guy in town, however, if you want the truth, at his pro day, he chose to perform at Northwestern in Illinois. He ran a 4.43 and a 4.47 in the 40 yd dash. He is a very sincere guy, with good hands, great character, and I wish him the best of luck. Congrats Kevin.:

Thanks for the great info and welcome to the bb. :)

taxman said:

thanks for the info and welcome to H-TOWN

I congratulate the player who has worked hard to achieve success. This makes me wonder. Was this a Kubiak pick? I do hope that we get Burelson at this point. I do think we have players like Walter already. There must be something about Walter that made the Texans staff like him. I think I will wait and see.

Some good comments in the previous posts. Here's his 2003 write-up.

( Draft Insider's Digest )
Kevin Walter - 6'-3" - 220# - sp, 4.55

Big, athletic receiver displayed fine playmaking ability over his career in the MAC, earning raves from NFL scouts about his natural receiving skills. He is a big sturdy wideout with large hands and the ability to adjust nicely to the pass. He is a straightline runner who lacks the extra gear to get deep consistantly, though is considered a quality possession receiver for the next level. He is a good athlete who tested out well in the pro day in March '01 when he ran a 4.5 time, 30" vertical leap, 390# bench press and a 490# back squat. He is an intriguing athlete with an excellant size/speed ratio for the position. He has a big frame that allows him to carry 220 lbs easily without sacrificing speed. As a senior, he responded with a huge performance, including 92 catches for 1359 yds and 9 TD catches. He has adequate quickness off the line of scrimmage and average separation in and out of his breaks. He has good leaping ability and the ability and the agility to win most jump ball situations. He has very good hands and shows improvement as a route runner over his final season. He displays natural pass catching ability and is most effective on the short crossing, out and fade routes. As a receiver, he needs to read defenses better and develop a feel for the soft spots in coverage. He also needs to learn how to come back to the ball quicker when the passer is in trouble. He is still considered a solid possession receiver with well-developed talent to contribute early in his pro career. Good athlete with tools to help in three and four wideout sets. Solid late round pick with the talent and developement to make roster.

( Pro Football Weekly )
Positives: Has excellent size, is big and strong with large, strong hands and will take ball away from the defender. Deceptive speed. Catches the ball well and can adjust to the poorly-thrown pass. Improves every year.

Negatves: Lacks quickness, explosiveness and suddenness. May have trouble getting separation on the next level. Looks a little stiff at times. Is not really fluid getting into and out of his breaks and can't accelerate into or out of his breaks. Has rarely faced an NFL-caliber cornerback. Questionable skills as a blocker.

Summary: Will have a chance to catch on if he goes to a team that wants a big, strong possession catcher that can contribute on special teams. May be best as an H-back or tight end because of his lack of speed.

Carr Bomb said:
If your going to list situational recievers then you have to throw Bush in there also, if we get him.

that will give us.

1. AJ
2. Burleson (if we get him)
3. Walter/Armstrong
4. Mathis/Bush (if we get him) on about the 10 recieving plays he should get a game

Then you throw in Putzier and DD and hopefully a improved Oline and I really like how this offense is comming together and the best thing is they will be very YOUNG.

I'm still hoping that we don't pick Bush.

Holy cow. This is good news. I remember watching the Bengals Steelers playoff game and seeing this guy do well. He is a big guy. I thought he was their #2 tight end. I had no idea he was a WR.

Back