Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Wade Smith G to visit this weekend

AJ is next to us in the Platinum lot. If you're ever in the area on game day, stop by our spot, S4. There is always some interesting football talk going on.

I'm in the Orange lot Michael. Dale Murphy tailgates with me. We'll stop over some time and talk shop. Informed discussions are so few and far between. Would love to.

Barrett, you are officially scaring me.

Don't be scared Alan. I'm just starved for relevance. And you're our only source. I was just bragging about your post to Dale. A great example of why you are so much better at this than any of our other options: You hear news of Wade Smith and you go and find the relevant information about him. What do knowledgable Chiefs fans think of him? It's common sense stuff. If someone with McCain's connections and contacts had your effort and logical process we as fans would probably be much more involved in the day to day news of the team. Might even sell a paper or two.

As far as I know, you were the only person to clarify the DelJuan signing. It's the details. Not every Texans fan sits around listening to Adam Schefter (I'm sure many do). Many of us recognize that we know more about the team than those "expert journalists" do. But we dont have access to the information.

I find often times that I am aware of information that Mr. McClain and certainly the national writers doesn't even know about. Not sure That's ever happened with you.

I'd love to see us make a run for Casey Wiegmann. He's a bit older (36?) but I think he could be to the Texans what Kevin Mawae was for the Titans the last couple years. He had a bad year because Denver switched away from a pure ZBS but he is one of the best ZBS centers in football.

A veteran presence like him would be a welcome addition in the interior OL. He's got the Bronco connection, so its just a matter of our new OC/his former OL coach signing off on him.

Well he made it out of Washington. They went with Artist Hicks instead. So just maybe.

If we could come out of FA with Wiegeman and this Smith guy, I think that would be pretty productive. We needed to get tougher on the interior of the OL and that would work. It would allow us to go with a good center and OG in the 5th round and beyond.

Didn't Seattle lowball Rob Sims?

I would much rather go grab him. A 4th for a guy who could develop into a pro bowl type lineman is a steal.

He gave up 1 sack, 1 QB hit, and 10 QB pressures in 560 snaps in pass protection.

Casey Studdard gave up 4 sacks, 7 QB hits and 20 QB pressures in 584 snaps in pass protection.

Last edited:
You know, Scout.com actually shows Wade Smith as a C.

We wouldn't be bringing him in for the C position, would we?

Assuming we re-sign Pitts...

Brown Pitts Smith Caldwell Winston

Or... Weiggman is still out there, too. How about...

Brown Pitts/Smith Weiggman Caldwell Winston

With Myers and either White or Studdard as depth along with Butler.

Does anyone know what these visits actually involve? I assume there are interviews, but no drills or anything. Do they do physicals?

I guess what I'm wondering is - what (barring some horrendously bad interview) would make a team say "no" after they've brought someone in? I would think they would know 90% of what they needed to from film or whatever before they brought somene in. Plus, I would think they would work out at least the general parameters of a deal beforehand. What exactly is the point of bringing people in (besides recruiting them - convincing the player)? It seems there are a lot more people that leave without offers (overall, not just the Texans) than I would have guessed.

Does anyone know what these visits actually involve? I assume there are interviews, but no drills or anything. Do they do physicals?

I guess what I'm wondering is - what (barring some horrendously bad interview) would make a team say "no" after they've brought someone in? I would think they would know 90% of what they needed to from film or whatever before they brought somene in. Plus, I would think they would work out at least the general parameters of a deal beforehand. What exactly is the point of bringing people in (besides recruiting them - convincing the player)? It seems there are a lot more people that leave without offers (overall, not just the Texans) than I would have guessed.

I would imagine they start off just trying to get a feel for the player. Check out his personality and game intellect. I'd also imagine that they talk about his would be role on the team and gauge his response to said role. I'm sure if both parties are happy with the outcome of the meeting, then a physical would be scheduled, followed by a contract.

Looks like Wade left without a contract.....

Adam_Schefter Arizona is bringing in free agent DT Nick Eason and free agent OL Wade Smith for a visit tonight and tomorrow.

Looks like Wade left without a contract.....

Adam_Schefter Arizona is bringing in free agent DT Nick Eason and free agent OL Wade Smith for a visit tonight and tomorrow.

I wonder if this is Smith more than the team - i.e. wanting to visit several places and decide between them (wasn't he at Buffalo just before us). I think it used to be that people would visit several teams then decide - now it seems more like a "decide while in town, or not at all" kind of thing. Maybe Smith's plan all along was to visit several places and then compare offers.

I wonder if this is Smith more than the team - i.e. wanting to visit several places and decide between them (wasn't he at Buffalo just before us). I think it used to be that people would visit several teams then decide - now it seems more like a "decide while in town, or not at all" kind of thing. Maybe Smith's plan all along was to visit several places and then compare offers.

He was at Washington before coming to Houston.

He was at Washington before coming to Houston.

Actually, he was in Buffalo before coming to Houston.

The Bills hosted OL Wade Smith for a free agent visit on Friday.
Finally -- Bills news. Smith, also slated to visit Houston on Saturday, could help Buffalo at right tackle or even right guard if Eric Wood (broken leg) isn't ready for Week 1. Smith, though, would be a backup on a good team.

The Cardinals will host free agent DL Nick Eason and OL Wade Smith on Monday night and into tomorrow.

Smith has already met with Buffalo and Houston, while this is Eason's first visit. Eason, who can play nose tackle and defensive end in the 3-4 in a backup capacity, is familiar with Arizona's staff from their Steelers days.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NfL&id=1249

Back