Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WA trade #'s

ghostlight

Veteran
We traded up and gave up No. 12 overall (Round 1), No. 33 overall (Round 2), a 2024 first-rounder, and a 2024 third-rounder for Anderson and a Round 4 (No. 105 overall) selection. We got a serious impact player however is the value worth what we gave up.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Yes.

First off, if you just look at the trading chart, we're 50-60 points off. Which is fine. The trading chart is a guideline not a straitjacket. Different situations require some give and take.

Secondly, you can't look at this move in isolation. Even if you do look at the move in isolation, it's pretty close to being spot on. But the moves made here were really smart. They pick Stroud so that they're not competing with the Titans to trade with the Cardinals, then they offer a little extra incentive so that the Cardinals will make the trade instead of just choosing Anderson themselves.

You could totally look at this as a trade up to get the QB.

Thirdly, most people had Will Anderson as either the first or second highest defensive player and most people had CJ Stroud as either the first or second highest rated QB. So that trade allowed is to nab arguably the best defensive player and the best QB in the draft.

Now, if you don't like these particular players, then no. This trade wasn't worth it. But for most people, it was.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We traded up and gave up No. 12 overall (Round 1), No. 33 overall (Round 2), a 2024 first-rounder, and a 2024 third-rounder for Anderson and a Round 4 (No. 105 overall) selection. We got a serious impact player however is the value worth what we gave up.
That's a question that will only get answered on the field of play.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Here is something huge to keep an eye on, the career of Will Levis vs CJ Stroud, because the Texans could have taken Anderson at 2 and picked up Levis at 12 or traded way back and taken him later, or even possibly taken him in Rd. 2 and selected another position such as WR or LB very high at 12, lots of options and also any of the other QBs still on the board.

As things stand I can’t fault them for taking the 2 men they wanted on their team as it stands right now, and that is great, in 5 years time it could be glaringly obvious what they should have done but hindsight is 20-20.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Here is something huge to keep an eye on, the career of Will Levis vs CJ Stroud, because the Texans could have taken Anderson at 2 and picked up Levis at 12 or traded way back and taken him later, or even possibly taken him in Rd. 2 and selected another position such as WR or LB very high at 12, lots of options and also any of the other QBs still on the board.

As things stand I can’t fault them for taking the 2 men they wanted on their team as it stands right now, and that is great, in 5 years time it could be glaringly obvious what they should have done but hindsight is 20-20.
Unfair to hold them accountable if Levis is great, ESPN was showing a 1% chance he was sitting in bottom half of second round. Every team was either right or wrong on Levis so not blaming the Texans if Levis outplays CJ. I assumed they would get a QB and EDGE in 2/12 some way or form, did not see them losing their rd2 for it, but I was ok with a lesser QB or EDGE, they went big. I applaud them for conviction, plan and taking a swing even if I thought another way may be better (more good players vs fewer great players)

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I don't know if we should have given them our #1 next year. Seeing it seems that the Browns will probably have a later pick. Basically say our pick 1.10, Browns pick 1.20, example number only. But, according to the draft picks value charts...it's not too bad.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know what 1st we gave up next year? Was it ours or Clevelands? And yes we gave up to much for a conventional pick. But This wasn’t a pick based on talent alone. Anderson is very talented but this move had more to do with his personality and leadership abilities than anything else. This is the culture change and new face of the defense for Demeco. obviously one Demeco felt he really needed so no, in the big picture we did not give up too much. Not what I would of done but we drafted two of arguably top 5 best players in this draft. We now have our offensive and our defensive leaders in place. That’s a good start on a rebuild.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I don't know if we should have given them our #1 next year. Seeing it seems that the Browns will probably have a later pick. Basically say our pick 1.10, Browns pick 1.20, example number only. But, according to the draft picks value charts...it's not too bad.
I like giving our pick, I can root against DW4 and root for the Texans without any worries on draft positioning. I think with the draft, FA, and coaching staff changes Texans improved quite a bit, and Browns just paid DW4 more $$. I expect us to beat the Browns record. Interesting to see if Vegas moves odds. I think we are at 6.5 wins and Browns at 9.5 Browns did not look very special last year.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm hoping for and expecting, and it is not an unrealistic expectation, for WA to meet the expectations we had for another very highly drafted edge-rusher here, Jedeveon Clowney.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know what 1st we gave up next year? Was it ours or Clevelands? And yes we gave up to much for a conventional pick. But This wasn’t a pick based on talent alone. Anderson is very talented but this move had more to do with his personality and leadership abilities than anything else. This is the culture change and new face of the defense for Demeco. obviously one Demeco felt he really needed so no, in the big picture we did not give up too much. Not what I would of done but we drafted two of arguably top 5 best players in this draft. We now have our offensive and our defensive leaders in place. That’s a good start on a rebuild.
It was the Texans pick that was traded in 2024.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Steep price for sure, but people are overvaluing picks again. You got the franchise QB you were targeting and the best defensive player in the draft. Finally replaced Watson, and still have tons of ammo in the future. Teams trade future first rounders like candy these days, that used to be pretty rare.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
All depends how good Will Anderson is. Caserio paid aggressively, so it's obvious this was the guy they wanted and they didn't want to take any chances.

If he turns out to be that pass rusher / run-stopper that we definitely need, then of course would be worth it.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame

I think it is obvious that no one likes Will Levis. As far as Stroud goes, you get the QB you want, damn the consequences.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Unless Stroud was their guy all along and Levis was never in the conversation. No one knows how it will turn out, of course, but I'm glad we have Stroud instead of the Colts or Titans. And I'm not worried at all that Indy got Richardson. Again, we don't know how it will turn out, but I have no idea how Richardson had a 1st round grade, never mind going top 4.

Interesting that there's talk that the Titans would have gone after #3 hard if the Texans had taken Anderson at 2, with the thought being that they wanted Stroud, but the Titans were out at going after 3 to try to get Richardson after the Texans took Stroud instead.

Reactions: JB

Toro Bravo

Rookie
While I like that Nick is being aggressive, and I like both picks, I question what we could have gotten by staying at 12.
1.13 = Lucas Van Ness
1.15 = Will McDonald
1.18 = Jack Campbell
1.19 = Calijah Kancey
1.28 = Myles Murphy
1.30 = Nolan Smith
There were plenty of good defensive players still available at 12. Not to mention that we could have our choice of TE (sans Kincaid) or Center at 33.
It was a steep price to pay but as long as Anderson lives up to his status, I'm OK with it. I honestly think he can be a JJ Watt type of player for this franchise - great on and off the field.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
While I like that Nick is being aggressive, and I like both picks, I question what we could have gotten by staying at 12.
1.13 = Lucas Van Ness
1.15 = Will McDonald
1.18 = Jack Campbell
1.19 = Calijah Kancey
1.28 = Myles Murphy
1.30 = Nolan Smith
There were plenty of good defensive players still available at 12. Not to mention that we could have our choice of TE (sans Kincaid) or Center at 33.
It was a steep price to pay but as long as Anderson lives up to his status, I'm OK with it. I honestly think he can be a JJ Watt type of player for this franchise - great on and off the field.
The dropoff from Anderson to all those guys is huge... that's why you move up to get him. It was a move up to get the combo of Stroud/Anderson.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We received #105.

BattleRedBlud

Blue Steel Pose. No Excuses!
So, this is just theory and speculation, so please take it as such. I am bored as I wait for day 2 to start.

1) Houston Texans wanted to choose Will Anderson at 1.2
2) However, front office was split, ownership wanted a QB, face of the franchise who could put butts in seats and sell tickets, whether it be Young or Stroud. And coaches buy off that either can also win games in our system.
3) This leads to the comment that these QBs are 1A/1B, meaning either could fill that role, depending on who was available and ownership would buy in.
4) Texans explore trade ideas to land Anderson at 1.2 and 1A/1B at 12, or trade up slightly.
5) Then rumors about Stroud begin to leak and hurting his draft potential (but helping Texans chance of landing him a few picks after our first)
6) Panthers lean heavy towards Young, Texans front office quickly learns that pick 1.2 is the lynch pin that the rest of the draft is eyeing. Meaning if we don't pick a QB with our first pick, a bidding war would take place at 1.3.
7) It is decided that Strouds draft value wasn't hurt enough to justify the gamble on waiting for him to drop. Nor could they allow the bidding war for 1.3 to begin by passing on QB.
8) Stroud is chosen at 1.2, effectively minimizing those trade offers to Arizona for 1.3, allowing Houston to trade back up for their initial favorite draft choice, Will Anderson.
9) And the crowd goes wild!!

Long story short, the trade up wasn't so we could choose Will Anderson. The trade up, was so we could choose a combination of Anderson and Stroud without having to miss out and settle on one or the other.

Last edited:

ghostlight

Veteran
So, this is just theory and speculation, so please take it as such. I am bored as I wait for day 2 to start.

2) However, front office was split, ownership wanted a QB, face of the franchise who could put butts in seats and sell tickets, whether it be Young or Stroud. And coaches buy off that either can also win games in our system.
3) This leads to the comment that these QBs are 1A/1B, meaning either could fill that role, depending on who was available and ownership would buy in.
4) Texans explore trade ideas to land Anderson at 1.2 and 1A/1B at 12, or trade up slightly.
5) Then rumors about Stroud begin to leak and hurting his draft potential (but helping Texans chance of landing him a few picks after our first)
6) Panthers lean heavy towards Young, Texans front office quickly learns that pick 1.2 is the lynch pin that the rest of the draft is eyeing. Meaning if we don't pick a QB with our first pick, a bidding war would take place at 1.3.
7) It is decided that Strouds draft value wasn't hurt enough to justify the gamble on waiting for him to drop. Nor could they allow the bidding war for 1.3 to begin by passing on QB.
8) Stroud is chosen at 1.2, effectively minimizing those trade offers to Arizona for 1.3, allowing Houston to trade back up for their initial favorite draft choice, Will Anderson.

Long story short, the trade up wasn't so we could choose Will Anderson. The trade up, was so we could choose a combination of Anderson and Stroud without having to miss out and settle on one or the other.
very good explanation

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

And that, is how this trade should be judged in future years. I hope folks who are critical of wa understand this. It was indirectly, a tandem deal.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame

Pretty much. Good post. But I think CJ was always their guy, they were just blown away by meeting WA too. Getting both these guys was probably in the works for weeks. If some other team had fallen in love with Levis or Wilson, they could have let one drop a few spots before trading up.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Pretty much. Good post. But I think CJ was always their guy, they were just blown away by meeting WA too. Getting both these guys was probably in the works for weeks. If some other team had fallen in love with Levis or Wilson, they could have let one drop a few spots before trading up.
Good way to lose your player. Do you expect other teams would have told them they wouldn't take Anderson?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I think we over paid, but I'm also not mad.

The Texans clearly knew who they wanted and did what needed to be done.

I'm happy to see someone in the organization finally grew a set.

Ultimately time will tell if they were right in their decision.

TBH under this current climate of Texans leadership... Im more concerned about CJ than WA reaching potential.

That being the case, I don't believe we overpaid by much.... it just seems steep on this side of time.

IF anyone can get the most out of a defensive player... its DR.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Good way to lose your player. Do you expect other teams would have told them they wouldn't take Anderson?
Should restate. If they evaluated Levis as being worth as a high pick, or Wilson as fully healthy, I think they could take the risk of letting one drop and save some picks. But, I like what they did in getting their guys.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don’t think they overpaid at all. A lot of people are saying he’s the best player in this draft. Especially on the defensive side of things. Plus if he’s your guy then sometimes it comes at a price. Bold move by Caserio and Meco.
Oh no, they overpaid, but as I've said somewhere around here, it wasn't egregious. Sometimes it'll cost a little extra to get something really good.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Oh no, they overpaid, but as I've said somewhere around here, it wasn't egregious. Sometimes it'll cost a little extra to get something really good.
If there's a HC that knows Will Anderson best, it's got to be DR.

You only overpay when you don't know the real value of the thing you buy.

But sure, if you only look at the value chart or you don't want to put everything in one basket, it's easy to call it overpaying.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Stroud was the pick all along. They have picks, so they still have enough to keep building.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I’ve over-paid for variety of things in my life because I REALLY wanted them. Right or wrong.

LikeMike

Veteran
I think we could afford to overpay, because we have so many draft picks including 2 firsts next year. And the Will Anderson pick probably was as much a culture pick as it was a player pick. DR is setting the tone here. I also would have preferred if we‘d had given up the Browns 1st, but this way there is no incentive for tanking. And I am a little cautious because there are definetly question marks around both players - and I feel like there are more question marks than most of the times for players being picked this high…

And as a fan - these past two seasons sucked. Not just because we weren‘t competitive, but because we didn‘t really have exciting players. Players that I looked out for every time they hit the field. Players like Watt or Watson. Now we have drafted two of these players. When was the last time, that a team had the offensive and defensive rookies of the year?

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I think we could afford to overpay, because we have so many draft picks including 2 firsts next year. And the Will Anderson pick probably was as much a culture pick as it was a player pick. DR is setting the tone here. I also would have preferred if we‘d had given up the Browns 1st, but this way there is no incentive for tanking. And I am a little cautious because there are definetly question marks around both players - and I feel like there are more question marks than most of the times for players being picked this high…

And as a fan - these past two seasons sucked. Not just because we weren‘t competitive, but because we didn‘t really have exciting players. Players that I looked out for every time they hit the field. Players like Watt or Watson. Now we have drafted two of these players. When was the last time, that a team had the offensive and defensive rookies of the year?
I actually like that we traded our first round pick and not the 1st from the Browns. Browns play in a much tougher division and that Cleveland train is already primed for derailment. I can easily see a complete implosion there from GM down to QB. (Sound familiar). Complete opposite of what we seem to have here now. I think we'll finish with a better record than Cleveland.

Then again I always thought that deal would go up in flames for them, hell Watson didn't even want to play there until they guaranteed all his money. That football relationship was doomed from the start and both sides deserve all the losing that's about to come their way. I mean we already know when the going gets tough, Watson quits.. and that was when he had future financial incentives. Which now he doesn't have. It all pays the same.. Win, lose, it all pays the same.

Lol, yep I'm glad we still own the rights to their 1st round pick.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Anderson is a special prospect. On LZ’s grades the past five drafts, only Chase Young was rated ahead of him. In terms of college production, no prospect did more than Anderson. And he did it against the best competition in college football. That’s the on-field part… he’s instantly the best player on the Texans defense.

At Alabama, he was the leader of the defense as soon as he stepped foot on the field as a true freshmen. That doesn’t happen at one of the best programs in college football. This is a team that lacks legitimate leaders and now they have the alpha amongst alphas in the locker room. This is a culture shift on Kirby.

DeMeco wants his defense to run without excuses so he went out and got his Bosa. The engine that makes everything work. That’s Will Anderson. If you can’t tell I am over the moon for this pick! I can’t think of a non QB that I would have been ok with trading the picks they had to in order to get Anderson in recent drafts, but I am completely fine with what they gave up to get Anderson.