Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Visiting Houston...

coggsnyrnyg

Practice Squad
Giants fan coming in peace. Have done several trips to see the Giants on the road and this year, looks like I am coming to Houston for the game on 9-23. Notice the other forum said Football only talk, so figured I would put the thread here. Have never been to your city and don't know anyone who has. Here's the info I am hoping to get and appreciate any advice:

1) Most likely flying in on Friday and leaving on Monday. Should I rent a car or is there adequate public transportation/cabs/uber available?

2) Noticed the Astros are at home the same weekend and likely going to hit that game Saturday night. Want to stay near NRG, is it easy to get to Minute Maid? I saw on a map they are about 8 miles apart, but 8 miles can mean different things in different cities. In New York City, 8 miles is almost the equivalent of going to the moon at heavy traffic times. I remember when I went Chicago, I stayed at a hotel right near the Red Line. Was able to take the train to Wrigley one day and Comiskey the next. Is there a similar set-up?

3) Aside from Texas Brisket, any food for which is Houston is well known? Nothing spicy, I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food. Oh, and where would you suggest I go for Brisket?

4) Any other places/things you suggest I make sure to see while I am in town?

5) Any bar/restaurant areas you suggest?

6) Is Cooters still open? The place where a bunch of the Mets got arrested in 86? yes, I am a mets fan, would love to get a picture outside the place.

Not worried about tickets or tailgating. The friend I am going with has connections everywhere for tailgating. Yes, I literally mean everywhere.

Anything you feel I didn't touch on, but want to add, feel free.

thank you

Giants fan coming in peace. Have done several trips to see the Giants on the road and this year, looks like I am coming to Houston for the game on 9-23. Notice the other forum said Football only talk, so figured I would put the thread here. Have never been to your city and don't know anyone who has. Here's the info I am hoping to get and appreciate any advice:

1) Most likely flying in on Friday and leaving on Monday. Should I rent a car or is there adequate public transportation/cabs/uber available?

2) Noticed the Astros are at home the same weekend and likely going to hit that game Saturday night. Want to stay near NRG, is it easy to get to Minute Maid? I saw on a map they are about 8 miles apart, but 8 miles can mean different things in different cities. In New York City, 8 miles is almost the equivalent of going to the moon at heavy traffic times. I remember when I went Chicago, I stayed at a hotel right near the Red Line. Was able to take the train to Wrigley one day and Comiskey the next. Is there a similar set-up?

3) Aside from Texas Brisket, any food for which is Houston is well known? Nothing spicy, I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food. Oh, and where would you suggest I go for Brisket?

4) Any other places/things you suggest I make sure to see while I am in town?

5) Any bar/restaurant areas you suggest?

6) Is Cooters still open? The place where a bunch of the Mets got arrested in 86? yes, I am a mets fan, would love to get a picture outside the place.

Not worried about tickets or tailgating. The friend I am going with has connections everywhere for tailgating. Yes, I literally mean everywhere.

Anything you feel I didn't touch on, but want to add, feel free.

thank you

1) I'd rent a car, though if you're only going to/from the airport (not seeing sights), Uber is doable.

2) There is a light rail stops at NRG and one about 6-7 blocks from Minute Maid. http://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/lightrail.html Other than making sure they're still running that day (more for baseball than the football game), it's very doable. Plenty of hotels in downtown, through the med center stretch and all the way to NRG.

3) I'd need an inner-looper to say where any decent brisket is near downtown. Only ones I'd suggest are 20+ miles from downtown. A must-visit would be Mama Ninfa's on Navigation. Maybe even fit in the Breakfast Klub on Saturday morning?

4) Without much travel, there's the aquarium downtown (decent viewsand decent food - owned by our resident NBA owner.

5) Lots of decent little downtown bars, many frequented by some of our super-fans (both sports), I'll have to see who they suggest. The Commoner / Boulevardier are about 3-4 blocks from Minute Maid. Owned by our local 6'7"+ viking, who goes to away games in a Texans snuggie. :)

6) Per a book about the '86 Mets, it was closed in '91. The location was absorbed into a shopping center I believe.

Hope that's a good start for you!

Want to stay near NRG, is it easy to get to Minute Maid? I saw on a map they are about 8 miles apart, but 8 miles can mean different things in different cities.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hote...teldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-US-_-HOUAD

https://www.choicehotels.com/texas/houston/comfort-suites-hotels/tx546?source=gyxt

https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hot...teldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-CP-_-US-_-HOUCP

All 3 of these hotels are next door to NRG, all next to Tailgate lots. Walking distance. No bar at the Comfort Inn Suites. An Uber will take you from there to Minute Maid for the Astros game.

Thank you guys. Anyone else feel free to chime in. Bummed about Cooters. As for Brisket, I don't need "THEE PLACE", just some place good. When I went to D*ll*s, we had it at Sonny Bryant's (I think, place was right next to the JFK museum). I love Brisket, make it myself about 2-3 times per year, but not Texas style. I always say there is no such thing as bad brisket, only stupid people who do not understand how good all brisket is!

As far as renting a car, a big part of it will be parking. Will have to check if the hotel we eventually choose has parking. Not a fan of parking overnight on the street in an area where I am unfamiliar. Don't want trip ruined with a towed car.

Thank you guys. Anyone else feel free to chime in. Bummed about Cooters. As for Brisket, I don't need "THEE PLACE", just some place good. When I went to D*ll*s, we had it at Sonny Bryant's (I think, place was right next to the JFK museum). I love Brisket, make it myself about 2-3 times per year, but not Texas style. I always say there is no such thing as bad brisket, only stupid people who do not understand how good all brisket is!

As far as renting a car, a big part of it will be parking. Will have to check if the hotel we eventually choose has parking. Not a fan of parking overnight on the street in an area where I am unfamiliar. Don't want trip ruined with a towed car.

You can always try Ray's BBQ shack which is near the University of Houston. I like their brisket.

https://www.raysbbqshack.com/

All 3 hotels I listed have free on site parking

Back