Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Vince sounds genuinely giddy to be here in Houston and ready not only to make significant impact on the defensive line but to also take a leadership role in guiding some of our young guys.

Seems like a great guy and a real leader who knows he can't just walk in the door and start telling everybody and the defensive coordinator how the cow eats the cabbage. More a team leader, than a "me" leader... like an unnamed free agent of the past.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Vince sounds genuinely giddy to be here in Houston and ready not only to make significant impact on the defensive line but to also take a leadership role in guiding some of our young guys.

Seems like a great guy and a real leader who knows he can't just walk in the door and start telling everybody and the defensive coordinator how the cow eats the cabbage. More a team leader, than a "me" leader... like an unnamed free agent of the past.
Been hoping so

Heard anything specific?

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
NT Vince Wilfork
(on how it feels to be a member of the Texans) “It’s a little different, but at the same time, exciting. Being 11 years in New England, this is kind of different for me. The transition, I’m trying to make it as smooth as possible, but everything so far has been great. The city has been great, the teammates. Seeing new coaches, old faces. Everything has been good so far, so hopefully it will continue to be that way throughout this whole duration.”

(on what he hopes to bring to the team) “Just a lot of leadership and fun. Knowledge if they are seeking it and just what it takes to be a good teammate. What it takes to win ball games and play at the highest level. Just being more consistent of what we do. Everybody loves to win, so hopefully we can do a lot of that now especially now that I’m here. It will be fun times, it will definitely be fun.”

(on what he’s seen from the team so far) “So far, right now, I mean a team is a team. One thing I do notice is that it’s a tight group. They love to play football. Until you put on pads and go through training camp, until you’re first game, that’s when you can start building. Right now, with the strength and condition right now, just getting back in the flow things and getting guys around is a good thing. We’ve been away from something we love for a while, so every now and then you start to bite at the bit. I think coming here the first day, guys were excited to get back going. I’m looking forward to the season.”

(on Head Coach Bill O’Brien’s biggest strength) “Knowledge, knowledge. He’s very smart. He brings a smartness to the game. He’s a great offensive minded coach and a great leader. He’s a fun coach. The same guy that was in New England, I see here. Just going to the first team meeting, just seeing how happy he is and how fun he is. You could tell why guys want to play for him. I know it was a little different, but at the same time, it’s good just knowing him a little bit. Hopefully, we can keep that going and keep guys around here loose and winning ball games at the same time. That’s the ultimate goal.”

(on playing next to DE J.J. Watt) “It’s good. It’s a good feeling to have, so I’m looking forward to it definitely.”

(on how he can help NT Louis Nix III) “Only thing you can do for a teammate is be there for him. Sometimes people need different things, so I don’t know exactly what he needs. I don’t know if he needs some type of talking to or just leading by example. That’s what this is all about right now, coming in and getting going. Being able to work out with your teammates and spend half a day with them. You get a chance to know one another. With me being a new guy, people get a chance to know me and I get a chance to know the team. I think throughout this course of the year, I would see a lot of things and might not see a lot of things that people may need. They might be all different things. That’s what it’s all about. Leaders are not just people that talk. Sometimes it’s good just leading by example. Through the course of my career, I’ve never been a big talker. I always let my play speak for itself and just show guys how I work. Being in the game, this is my 12th year, so still being able to do it. I think a lot of times, that’s more than enough.”

(on the Texans defensive philosophy) “Same coaching tree. (Defensive Coordinator) Romeo Crennel and (Linebackers Coach Mike) Vrabel and those guys. Same background that I’ve been in New England. I’m pretty sure there will be some different things that I haven’t done over the last couple of years, but at the same time, the foundation is about the same. I know the mindset. I know what they are looking for in certain schemes. Things that I don’t know, I will learn so that won’t be hard.”

(on who mentored him when he first came in the league) “Well, one of them is actually a coach here now, that’s (Linebackers Coach Mike) Vrabel. He was one of the guys. He was my linebacker with me. He taught me a lot of things. Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, and Ty Warren. All these guys I learned from and you’re talking about guys that have won championships and that have been on teams that know how to win and being in a city that knows how to win. It was easy for me to come in from college to go to an organization like that and pick up where I left off in college, winning ball games and being around good guys. I think at the end of the day that’s what it’s all about, being around some good guys and guys that love the game. What I’ve seen today and what I’ve seen in past years, especially last year, this team definitely loves to play. That’s a good thing.”

(on why veteran players are better mentors for young players than coaches) “Sometimes you can relate as a player. Player to player, you can kind of relate a lot more. You can spend a lot more time together off the field. As a coach, sometimes people look at coaches as coaches. Sometimes people might think coaches don’t have the best information for them at the time. As a player, you can put yourself in their shoes. We’ve been there before. We’ve all been rookies. We’ve all been down and had some things that we can relate to. It’s easy for us to go sit, have lunch or dinner, and talk about some things. That’s the biggest difference in a coach and a player trying to get through to a player.”

(on how long it will take to adjust to Houston weather) “It will be a little adjustment and it will take a couple weeks for me, but I grew up in the South so I kind of know how hot it can get. I’m not looking forward to it, but looking forward to it. That’s one thing I always said in my career, no matter if I’m playing in 100 degree or playing in -1 degree, I never play the weather. I’m playing the team. Just condition right, get my body ready to go through another season, hopefully it’s a good season, and go from there.”

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Wilfork-Fun-times-on-way-next-to-Watt/644ee71f-d8bf-45af-86d1-37e77242f2dd

“He’s a guy who’s had a lot of success in the league and he is extremely good at what he does,” J.J. Watt said Monday. “I’m really excited about that. It’s going to be great for our young guys to have that veteran leadership. Obviously, I’m looking forward to playing on the line with him because he is very good at what he does and he commands respect from every team.”

For Wilfork, the feeling is mutual.

“Everybody loves to win, so hopefully we can do a lot of that now especially now that I’m here,” Wilfork said Monday. “It will be fun times, it will definitely be fun
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/20/watt-feeling-ahead-of-schedule/

Watt was asked about his 61-inch vertical box jump from last week.

“That was the first time I hit (that height),” Watt said. “That’s why I was so dang excited when I did it. I missed it quite a few times before I hit it. I’ve never hit that height before. I’ve never even hit 60 before. 59.5 was my previous best.”

The reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year thought it was a good sign of things to come.

“I normally hit my highs at the end of July, like the second part of the offseason,” Watt said. “So to hit it this early in the offseason’s exciting for me.

mussop

Hall of Fame
That line is gonna be fun to watch this year... if we get anything at all from Clowney it may be spectacular

I hope our ILB's can do their job, because the other to groups of the D are looking good already
Just think if we drafted gregory and he worked out. Imagine Clowney healthy enough to somewhat live up to his potential and Wilfork still has gas in the tank. Imagine that around Watt!!!! As a coach do you do you risk going for greatness and ignore the risk or do you go the safe route and draft a far less talented player? Have a feeling they are going to be faced with that situation.

Seems we've been risk takers the past. Wonder if Peters, Gregory, Beckham and Gurly are on our board?

badboy

Hall of Fame
and this is part of the problem, some say a certain player is just what we need and others say no way.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Funny pics.

I hope he won't out-die his contract... I have a fairly good idea what will kill him down the line :)

Playoffs

Hall of Fame

Wilfork’s Impact Already Clear for Texans

The Texans look different. They look, like they have gained some weight. Which is strange to say when you think J.J. Watt, Jared Crick, and Andre Hal look maybe even more muscular and sleek than previous incarnations.

But the Texans are heavier. According to the official roster they are 325 pounds heavier along the defensive line. Vince Wilfork is here, and you can’t miss him.

The multi-time Super Bowl champion was obviously going to stand out. They just don’t make many people like him anymore. And although he looks every bit of the generous 325 pounds the roster gives him, his impact is being felt throughout the team.

“It makes us all feel good to see number 75 in the middle of that defense,” said Texans head coach Bill O’Brien. He’s a great veteran player. He’s added a lot to our locker room and we’re very happy to have him here.”

Mike Mohmaed’s job gets a little easier with the big man taking up space.

“Just based on his career he’s a force to be reckoned with there on the line,” he said. “He eats up blocks.”

It isn’t just the weight and physicality he can throw around. Wilfork has been around the block, especially in this defensive scheme, and that is paying off for the team said Whitney Mercilus.

“He’s very knowledgeable about the defense,” said Mercilus of his new teammate. “Just being able to teach, you know, myself also the other younger d-linemen about different about different looks that we can give.”

It doesn’t matter if Wilfork is eating blocks and teaching teammates or tossing long bombs to J.J. Watt and cutting a rug to the Notorious B.I.G.’s “Mo Money Mo Problems” the big man is already ingraining himself as a must-see player for the Texans.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame

NT Vince Wilfork

(on getting his Super Bowl ring) “It was good just to close the chapter to what we started up there and we did. Everything we worked for up there, being an organization that was very successful, my second time being able to get one, so it was closure. It’s time for me to move on, which I have, so my focus now is all about being here in Houston and hopefully we can achieve some great things down here. That’s what I’m looking forward to.”

(on if it was different not being on the team) “It wasn’t different feeling because some of those guys I’ve been around for a long time. There are a lot of great teammates that I had there that are friends of mine. It was just like a big family coming together for a family reunion. That’s what it was and that’s how it felt. Just being able to see them all for one last time, it was good. They understand this is a business and you move on. I’ve moved on, trust me. Believe when I say I’ve moved on.”

(on his impact inside the locker room) “You would have to ask those guys. I have no clue.”

(on the impact he wants to have in the locker room) “I just want to be a guy that has played the game for a while that they can always turn to and ask questions about anything football-wise or off the field.

I’ve been around for a while. I’ve played with a lot of guys. I’ve played with some Hall of Famers. I’ve been coached by some great guys. The way that I look at the game is different.

I don’t just look at a game from a defensive standpoint. I talk to the quarterbacks. I talk to the punter. I talk to DBs. I talk to the receivers. I talk to all of my teammates. I think that’s one thing they can probably get a feeling that I kind of know the game a little bit, not just as a defensive lineman putting my hand in the dirt. That’s what it’s all about.

When you come in and you have fun with the team and bring a different aspect to the game, a winning mentality, sometimes you look at it different. Sometimes people look at it different. Sometimes they know stuff already.

This is a group that is pretty well-coached. They compete at a high level. I think, in football, that’s one of the things about sports in general, one of the things to be successful is you have to compete. If you can’t compete in football, you won’t have a chance. Sometimes it’s 60 minutes, sometimes it’s more.

Being able to compete at a high level on a consistent basis, that’s the key. A lot of people talk about me and you hear the word consistent. I like to say the right consistent. Anybody can be consistent doing something, but it’s not always right. You want to be the right consistent. That’s what we’re striving to do right now. We’re trying to bring it all together in minicamp and hopefully in training camp we will ready to rock and roll.”

(on DE J.J. Watt calling him jolly) “I’m a fun guy. That’s one thing you’ll know. I’m a great teammate. I’m not selfish. To play what I play, the position I play, I can’t be selfish.

It’s just good to come down here and have the same feeling like I’ve been here for 12 years. That’s the feeling I get when I come into this locker room. They’ve welcomed me here: the city, the fans, you guys, my teammates, the organization.

On the practice field, it’s easy, it’s just like I’m playing football like I always do. To me, that’s the sign of a great football team. That’s a good football team. A lot of guys are leaders in their own right and that’s one of the things that I would stress. Just because you have certain guys that have done some great things in their career, it doesn’t mean that everybody else is a bunch of nobodies. I’m a big believer in that teams need multiple leaders, some vocal, some not so vocal that just lead by example.

I think we have a bunch of those guys. We have to get it out of those guys. That’s one of those things that we’re going to have to get out of them, but we have it. But once we get that out, we’ll be fine.”

(on how he would describe DE J.J. Watt) “Intense. The way he plays is the way he practices. That’s why he does the things he does on game day because he practices the same way.

He has a great motor. It’s exciting for me to see just because I know the success he’s had in his short career so far. Just to be with him every day to see exactly what he puts in because a lot of guys don’t put a lot of work in the game. They just get to a certain level and they get complacent. They’re just happy with where they’re at.

To see him work every day, he’s going to be a great player for a long time and it all starts with the way he works. He makes me work harder. He makes guys around him work harder. That’s a true leader. I think a lot of the guys feed off of him, offensively and defensively. We all feed off him. He’s going to be great for a long time.”

(on the story behind his shirt) “I think this was a Father’s Day gift a couple years ago. It’s me and my son on a plane, so we’re giving each other the mean-mug look. Neither one of us budged that day, so that was a long plane ride with a five-year old, so my hands are full.”

(on what would be on the menu for his BBQ with DE J.J. Watt) “Everything. You name it, I have it. I like to cook, so I like to have guys over. I like to bring the team together and do things as one because outside of football you can always see what type of people you have around you.

Sometimes a lot of people don’t want to talk while they’re here at work, but they’ll talk one-on-one or behind closed doors. I use those moments as team-bonding or one-on-one bonding, however you look at it. It’s basically outside of the facility and just being together, picking each other’s brains, and getting the feel for what type of guys I’m around. They get a chance to see my family and see how I do away from work.

It’s coming soon. Hopefully, we’ll have that situated soon. I’m praying that it’ll be soon. I’m looking forward to it.”

(on RB Arian Foster) “Complete back. Playing against him for a couple times, I knew that was one of the things that we talked about. He’s a complete back. A back that can do it all. That’s good for this team, not just the offense. It’s good for this team.

He creates matchups that you have to pick your poison of how you want to cover him and how you want to defend him. He’s just so explosive. He’s another one that doesn’t talk much. He’s kind of quiet, but he works his tail off.

That’s another one of our leaders that come to work and put it in. It’s easy for guys around themselves with people like that and can see that on a daily basis. The success he’s had, the success J.J. (Watt) has had over the years. The success that Duane Brown had. J-Jo (Johnathan Joseph), all these guys, the way they work, what they put into the game. It’s easy for a guy to come in and see those guys work and be able to jump on the train. That’s what it’s all about.

Sometimes as an older guy and as a leader, you really don’t understand. A lot of people pay you attention when you least expect it, but they do. For you to be doing the right thing all the time is very important for the individual and for us as a team because you don’t know whose going to be able to watch you on that day, on that play, or in that meeting room and see what you’re doing and how your taking notes or what you’re watching and the film study you’re doing. You don’t know who that’s going to be, but believe it’s somebody.

That’s a good thing to have great teammates, great leaders on this team and hopefully we can win a lot of ball games with that leadership.”

Scooter

Funky
Can you imagine having to face Wilfork 1 on 1? JJ Watt's pretty scary, he's got insane length, athleticism and technique. If I were an offensive lineman I'd find that to be a challenge I'd be excited to test myself against however. Wilfork? That man is bigger than me AND the guy beside me, and I'm supposed to stop him from crushing me without any help? There's not enough technique in the world.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is why a lot of Texan fans have been screaming to get a legit NT for the past 15yrs
Vince Wilfork
Kris Jenkins

These guys are rare. Maybe you can add Casey Hampton to that list, but to be able to do what those guys do... year in, year out it's rare.

Maybe you can get a year or two out of a BJ Rani, or spot duty from a Haloti Nagata, but a true force in the middle... they don't grow on trees.

Scooter

Funky
Dontari Poe might be the next in line of good (maybe not great) giants in the middle. Having Houston and Hali as your bookends certainly helps you look good though. The giants are extremely rare, and the great ones (like Wilfork or MT Washington) are truly once in a generation.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Vince Wilfork
Kris Jenkins

These guys are rare. Maybe you can add Casey Hampton to that list, but to be able to do what those guys do... year in, year out it's rare.

Maybe you can get a year or two out of a BJ Rani, or spot duty from a Haloti Nagata, but a true force in the middle... they don't grow on trees.
Casey Hampton was pretty special. Five-time pro bowler, two-time Super Bowl champion. He was a beast coming out of Texas. Unfortunately he was selected 19th overall in the 2001 NFL Draft. A year before the Texans first draft. I still remember watching him at Austin back in his college days. I knew he was going to become one of the best nose tackles in the NFL.

He makes his home in Houston now a days and has become a Texans fan believe it or not. Former Galveston Ball High product. He may even post on here (TexansTalk) but he wouldn't say he does. LOL

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Dontari Poe might be the next in line of good (maybe not great) giants in the middle. Having Houston and Hali as your bookends certainly helps you look good though. The giants are extremely rare, and the great ones (like Wilfork or MT Washington) are truly once in a generation.
I keep forgetting we had the 26th overall pick in that draft. He'd have been ideal for us. I actually compared Dontari Poe, out of Memphis, to Casey Hampton coming out of Texas back in 2001, going into that 2012 draft. He showed me many similarities. Poe may end up making more than five pro bowls, he may even receive first-team All Pro honors four or five times, he's gotten one second-team All Pro already, but I doubt he'll win two Super Bowls if he stays with the Kansas City Chiefs.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Wilfork looks as happy to be here as the fans are to have him here. I think having previous ties with some of the coaches has made the transition easier for him. That plus the fact the Texan players / fans have also welcomed him. Now if he can only work a little magic on Nix. Had to be tough leaving the Pats.

:coffee:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I remember Poe had a ridiculously good combine and for a while thought he was a reach at 11, but that guy is an animal. Those edge rushers don't do what they do without Poe.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Something I'm beginning to piece together evidence of...

Vince is teaching Watt how to lead.

Both were in the young guy's ears during the game. Have noticed Watt taking the initiative in camp.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Vintage Vince Wilfork in Houston
Think Vince Wilfork is finished? It didn’t look like it last weekend...

1. I think Vince Wilfork sent a clear reminder on Saturday that the he still has some of that old nastiness left in the tank. I was at the Texans’ joint practice with Washington in Richmond, and seeing the 33-year-old lumber around during defensive line drills I started to think he was looking his age on the football field. Nope. A few plays into team drills, Wilfork plowed Washington center Josh LeRibeus a good five yards back into the running back. From my vantage point, that play sparked the first of a series of escalating skirmishes that eventually led to the teams being separated and finishing practice on different fields...​

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
NT Vince Wilfork
(on if he feels okay not playing in the preseason games, like he’ll be ready for the regular season) “Well I do what the coaches tell me to do. I’ve been in the game for a long time, so I’ll be ready to rock and roll when it’s time to go. That’s the faith that he has in me, that’s the confidence that he has in me, so anything he asks me to do I would do. It’s something different but at the same time, I think if the work that I’m getting on the field in the practice is a lot of work and it’s good work. He kind of makes the practice seem like game situations. That’s good for this team, not just only me. I think that’s one of the positives that we have, to be in this weather, the way we practice, we make practice very, very competitive. I think at the end of the day, we’ll all benefit from how we attack practice each day and hopefully we’ll be a good team, and hopefully it’ll show during the season.”

(on if he’s playing against the Saints this weekend) “I don’t know, ask (Head Coach) Bill (O’Brien).”

(on the pieces he has around him on this team) “Well, I mean on paper we’re pretty stacked, but I’ve been around some teams where we were pretty stacked on paper and really couldn’t get it done. I think the biggest thing for us is each day to get better, to put all the pieces together, to compete at a high level, just trust one another, play with good fundamentals. That’s what training camp is all about. It’s kind of getting the fundamentals of stuff down, getting the base packages done, getting good at technique, just little things, then the little things add up to big things. As long as we do that, and as long as we attack each day to win, that’s the key, attack each day to win, I don’t care what situation he puts us in in practice, we have to be able to win that day. As long as we do that, I think we’ll be okay, I definitely do.”

(on how much the young guys come pick his brain during training camp) “I think we have a great group of guys, especially young guys, and they’re working very, very hard. It’s easy to be sitting down at lunch or at dinner and we have tables full of veterans with younger guys, younger guys with younger guys, veterans with veterans, I mean we have a mix. The one thing that I love to see, and I’ve been seeing this the whole time I’ve been here is we all mesh together. I don't think there’s anybody in there that’s going to separate themselves from the rookies. The rookies, they’re not bashful, but at the same time, they’re respectful. I think everybody in this locker room is very respectful towards one another. I like seeing that because at the end of the day, we’re all professionals. I think you’ve got to give rookies a chance to learn what it takes to be a professional. You can’t walk and hold their hand all day or all the time. You’ve got to be able to put some type of trust and faith into a younger guy and put the faith in the leaders and the captains of your team that we’re going to get them through what they need to get through. So far, so good, like I said, we don’t have a bad group of guys. This team is made up of great-character guys, and that’s how we want it. That’s how we’re going to win. We’re going to win with guys like this. I’m very excited to have this opportunity to be here with these guys. It’s been nothing but a blast for me to be here and just to see the way we work, and Billy O. (Head Coach Bill O’Brien), and the staff, and the organization what they put together. It’s special, so I’m excited.”

(on what he’s seen from rookie DT Christian Covington) “He’s a hard, hard worker. I mean he’s coachable. He has so much passion for the game. It’s tough to be a nose tackle and to ask to do some certain things. Sometimes they look at how I play a play and they really can’t play a play like I play, just the size difference and strength difference, but at the same time, he has some quickness that I don’t have. I think we have to do a real good job of using the tools that we have and what we don’t have try to learn how to use them, and try to get better using them. Our skill sets are a little different but at the same time we both – the one thing that I always like in a player is the passion that you have for the game, and he’s a guy that has so much passion. He works hard, he don’t complain, that’s a good thing. He has some good traits about him that he should be a good professional at this level because of what he’s given to the game. He’s just a hard worker and I’m happy to be in the room with him. He asks questions. I love to work with him. I just love the way he approaches every game. Every practice he approaches with the right attitude, so that’s a good thing for him. It’ll pay off for him in the long run.”

(on his thoughts on NT Louis Nix III and giving him guidance) “Well I don’t try to look at guys and critique guys. That’s not what I do. I just try to pass on a little knowledge and a little wisdom that I have playing the game the way I played it for all these years. Being in a similar system to what we have here, I’m always just giving pointers, and I’m trying to make guys understand the game, not just a certain play. You need to understand the game in general and look at it from a different scope. That’s what I like to do. I don’t just like to look at the center or the guards, I like to look at the whole offense and I like to see the offense break the huddle and see what they’re in. I like to look at the running back and see where his eyes are, I like to look at the receivers. Is it slot, is it pro, is it trips, is it Y-Y, I like to see the whole thing and that’s one of the things I try to teach the guys is formation recognition. Just being able to recognize formations, because nine times out of 10, if you can be able to recognize that, the offense will give you what they want to do. So it’s just being a smart football player. If we can do that, we’ll be very successful. That’s one of the goals of mine is trying to get the guys in my room to understand that especially the younger guys that really don’t have much playing time under their belt. Just to understand the whole aspect of the game, not just the guys they’re playing in front of but all 11 on offense. That’s something that I’m going to continue to work on because I think that’ll make us a better defense.”

(on formation recognition) “Oh yeah, that’s something where I learned a long time ago, and that’s probably the first thing I look at. Sometimes I don’t even listen to a defensive huddle call, I get that and when the offense breaks I just turn to one and ‘Hey, what are we in?’ and they’ll tell me because I’m so locked in to what the offense is doing. I know somebody’s going to give me something. I just don’t know who it may be. It might be a receiver one time, it might be a tight end, it might be the running back, it might be the quarterback, might be offensive linemen. At any given day, I don’t know who’s going to get me the information I need, but I’m alert for anybody on that offensive side of the ball to give me what I need. Like I said, that’s just one thing I think as a defense, if we can learn that, just recognizing formations and understanding how teams want to attack us, we’ll be a successful defense. We’ve just got to do it the right way. That’s part of training camp, that’s what we’re here for. It’s a learning curve, but at the same time, we’re getting good work in and we’re grinding. Hopefully it’ll pay off for us in the long run.”