Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
And that just shows you that people's taste buds are crazy different. Now maybe things have changed since (new management or whatever) but I went to Mo's BBQ years ago, the one in Humble, and they were horrible. 2nd worst BBQ I've ever had (1st being Larry's).
The worst thing that can happen to BBQ is that horrible sauce they slather onto it. A good meat sauce will contain no tomatoes and no sweetener.

Arky

Veteran
What, no beef ribs?!?
Ribs separate.

And that just shows you that people's taste buds are crazy different. Now maybe things have changed since (new management or whatever) but I went to Mo's BBQ years ago, the one in Humble, and they were horrible. 2nd worst BBQ I've ever had (1st being Larry's).
Whatever. Alls I can say is I've only been there one time myself and it was years ago. I found it pretty good... perhaps not as good as the Chronicle reviewer but certainly not worthy of any "worst lists"... IMO, it's kinda hard to mess up pit cooking. The main culprits being too dry or too bland... (and raise your hand if you've ever eaten brisket that was too dry).

The rodeo that just ended had a world BBQ cookoff - would've liked to been a taste-tester for that one... Contestants were complaining about the price of beef these days...

michaelm

vox nihili
Ribs separate.

Whatever. Alls I can say is I've only been there one time myself and it was years ago. I found it pretty good... perhaps not as good as the Chronicle reviewer but certainly not worthy of any "worst lists"... IMO, it's kinda hard to mess up pit cooking. The main culprits being too dry or too bland... (and raise your hand if you've ever eaten brisket that was too dry).

The rodeo that just ended had a world BBQ cookoff - would've liked to been a taste-tester for that one... Contestants were complaining about the price of beef these days...

Hard to mess up pit cooking? Do you cook BBQ? It's not hard to mess up at all, especially brisket.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Sure am glad we're talking about ribs separating in the same thread as our best FA acquisition.

Arky

Veteran
Hard to mess up pit cooking? Do you cook BBQ? It's not hard to mess up at all, especially brisket.
Yes, pit cooking - not grilling. Do you read? I said a few posts ago, I cook. Besides the obvious overcooked/undercooked, yeah, I'd say it's hard for a commercial business to mess up pit cooking. We weren't talking about Joe Blow who cooks a few steaks on his grill in the backyard. Or the guy that grills chicken slathered in BBQ sauce and thinks it's mighty fine...

We were talking commercial establishments and I'm still trying to figure why one guy pops in to say one joint is "horrible" in his humble opinion and makes his "worst" list.. I can only figure:

A. His BBQ was too dry.

B. His BBQ was too bland tasting (no flavor/no spice).

C. His taste buds are different.

D. He figured he'd just say it sucked so that others would think he's knowledgeable (not unlike the guy who started this diversion).

But no one seems to elaborate on what good BBQ is. Care to share some of your finer points of good-tastin' BBQ?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yes, pit cooking - not grilling. Do you read? I said a few posts ago, I cook. Besides the obvious overcooked/undercooked, yeah, I'd say it's hard for a commercial business to mess up pit cooking. We weren't talking about Joe Blow who cooks a few steaks on his grill in the backyard. Or the guy that grills chicken slathered in BBQ sauce and thinks it's mighty fine...

We were talking commercial establishments and I'm still trying to figure why one guy pops in to say one joint is "horrible" in his humble opinion and makes his "worst" list.. I can only figure:

A. His BBQ was too dry.

B. His BBQ was too bland tasting (no flavor/no spice).

C. His taste buds are different.

D. He figured he'd just say it sucked so that others would think he's knowledgeable (not unlike the guy who started this diversion).

But no one seems to elaborate on what good BBQ is. Care to share some of your finer points of good-tastin' BBQ?
Because you mentioned the place, I've been there, so I made a comment about it. What's so hard to figure?

It was bad enough to where I know I wasn't going back. As I said, it was a few years ago but from what I can recollect, the meat was dry, tasteless and tough as leather. In my humble opinion, that's bad BBQ.

And BTW, just because you say it's good doesn't mean any more than what I say. It's only your humble opinion as well.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sure am glad we're talking about ribs separating in the same thread as our best FA acquisition.
I'd prefer a chicken fried steak conversation, but that's just me. BBQ tends to mess my digestive system up, so I avoid it. No food is worth gut pain.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'd prefer a chicken fried steak conversation, but that's just me. BBQ tends to mess my digestive system up, so I avoid it. No food is worth gut pain.
I do love some chicken fried steak, any meal, night or day

banned1976

sleeper mode
Best chicken fried steak I've had was at T-Bone Tom's. Top shelf, top shelf! I'd love to have that tonight with a slice of Kermit's Key Lime Pie.

Arky

Veteran
Because you mentioned the place, I've been there, so I made a comment about it. What's so hard to figure?

It was bad enough to where I know I wasn't going back. As I said, it was a few years ago but from what I can recollect, the meat was dry, tasteless and tough as leather. In my humble opinion, that's bad BBQ.
Dry, tasteless and tough as leather is bad BBQ. But that's not the way I remember it.

And BTW, just because you say it's good doesn't mean any more than what I say. It's only your humble opinion as well.
True. Perhaps they had a bad day when you were there. I don't remember moist, melt-in-your mouth smoky goodness but it wasn't the extreme you mention either... somewhere in between, I'd say..

badboy

Hall of Fame
Best chicken fried steak I've had was at T-Bone Tom's. Top shelf, top shelf! I'd love to have that tonight with a slice of Kermit's Key Lime Pie.
nothing else happening guess I'll succumb to not talking about Wilfork and say:

Same CF steak at Joe Lee's on 518 about 3 minutes from TBone's for 6.99 (until 6 pm). Last time I had CFS at TBone it was $10.95

Encourage you to try and nowhere did the crowd noise level. Seafood pretty good also.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not sure about the best, I've come across some really great ones. A lot of really terrible ones too.

When I lived and worked in South Houston, I loved going to Longhorn Cafe on College St between 45 and Old Galveston Rd. Thick tender platter sized steak with great gravy and steak fries.

Hot waitresses too... :hurrah:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Do yall hear this wooooishing sound? That's the sound of the air going straight over your heads. :lol:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not sure about the best, I've come across some really great ones. A lot of really terrible ones too.

When I lived and worked in South Houston, I loved going to Longhorn Cafe on College St between 45 and Old Galveston Rd. Thick tender platter sized steak with great gravy and steak fries.

Hot waitresses too... :hurrah:
That chain must be closed down here in the Houston area. Google only shows them in San Antonio.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
That chain must be closed down here in the Houston area. Google only shows them in San Antonio.

I don't think it was a chain, might have been tho. And on Howard I think...

:memory gone:

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Best "Chicken Fried Steak" I had in Houston was way back at a restaurant on Gessner, just north of Westheimer. It was a German establishment and the dish was called Der Weinerschnitzel, not to be confused with the fast food place in any way.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Google says there are (were??) two; both near downtown.
link

is this it?
No that's no it. It was certainly on College street between 3 and 45, south side of the road. Blue bldg. This was in the late 80's

Seegara

Ground meat fat, rotten cheese and an onion in some water and cognac? I've had more interesting meals at a county fair.
If'n you ain't tried it don't knock it. The combination was the definition of heaven. Better, even, than duck a l'orange or coq au vin.

Seegara

A good place for soul food used to be the Day and Night over in the East End.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Best Chicken Fried Steak I ever had was at Threadgill's in Austin back in the early 90's. I'm not saying they make the best CFS or anything like that. I'm just saying that one awesome night, when I was in a great mood I had dinner there with a woman I almost married and ordered a CFS and they brought me one that was perfect in every way. I've been back a few times and it has always been good but it's never been perfection like it was that evening.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Best Chicken Fried Steak I ever had was at Threadgill's in Austin back in the early 90's. I'm not saying they make the best CFS or anything like that. I'm just saying that one awesome night, when I was in a great mood I had dinner there with a woman I almost married and ordered a CFS and they brought me one that was perfect in every way. I've been back a few times and it has always been good but it's never been perfection like it was that evening.
sometimes, timing is everything

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
JB, I ate there back in the 80's. There was another in Spring Branch off Gessner. The key was "thick" CFS. Not the paper thin, over-breaded crap that's all over this town. If you're ever in Simonton, go to Ropers. Even better than the ones we got at Longhorn Cafe. I think they cheat, by using ribeye.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
JB, I ate there back in the 80's. There was another in Spring Branch off Gessner. The key was "thick" CFS. Not the paper thin, over-breaded crap that's all over this town. If you're ever in Simonton, go to Ropers. Even better than the ones we got at Longhorn Cafe. I think they cheat, by using ribeye.
Exactly right. And the gravy

Thanks for the heads up on Ropers

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Wilfork: "off the charts" excited to be a Texan
"It was like having a no-brainer when I figured that there might be a chance for me to leave New England," the defensive lineman said during a Thursday interview. "The first stop was Houston. And that was the last stop, because of all the connections."

"I like what the team is doing," Wilfork said. "I like the young team. I think there’s a couple spots where we’re missing, but they’re knocking at the door. So hopefully I can come in and just guide people on."

Wilfork will leave Houston on Saturday. But already, his heart is in the Bayou City.

"I’m here for Houston," Wilfork said. "That’s what I’m here for: the City. The fans. And my teammates."
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Wilfork-My-goal-is-to-let-JJ-be-JJ/8f84b87e-ee4b-4bb3-9183-7d5ca36ee0e3

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Wilfork-Excitement-is-off-the-charts/71be572f-135f-47a2-a0d6-47be511470ea

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Man Im so pumped to see what Wilfork brings to the middle of the defense

oh and back on topic, I really used to dig the chicken fried steak at a place called Dirty's on I10 back in the day. Size of serving platter, perfectly fried, awesome country gravy. Never found one quite the same.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Try Puffabelly's in Old Town Spring for a fantastic chicken fried steak.

Jax Grill on Shepherd is solid, too (and their chicken fried chicken is just as good!).

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Jax Grill on Shepherd is solid, too (and their chicken fried chicken is just as good!).
Looking at Puffabellys menu, I noticed their beef selection is either chicken fried steak or hamburger steak. Chopped sirloin steak with gravy and onions is a close second to cfs for me.

Franks Diner on Telephone used to have a fantastic one for a real reasonable price. Place was always so busy, he cooked bkfast and lunch and closed at 2 I think.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Looking at Puffabellys menu, I noticed their beef selection is either chicken fried steak or hamburger steak. Chopped sirloin steak with gravy and onions is a close second to cfs for me.

Franks Diner on Telephone used to have a fantastic one for a real reasonable price. Place was always so busy, he cooked bkfast and lunch and closed at 2 I think.
http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/chicken-fried-steak-0

I'm glad we got a Vince or a VW .

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Haven't been to Puffabelly's (now there's a name that fits this thread :)) but I've eaten at Jax's many times. The CFS is a two meal entree for me. Maybe Vince could finish off in one sitting but I can't.