Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

UPDATE: Texans Trade Yates to Falcons

I dunno, man.
Keenum did get cut in against the wish of his fan club.
McNair didn't put in a call for him then, did he?

What's the popular saying "the most popular player on the team is always the back up qb.." Multiply that by 2 when said qb is from home city/state.

What we do know is McNair put the call in for him during the season at some point....As I've stated before, In all my years of watching this game on this level, 've never seen a coach skip over his perfectly healthy 2nd string qb to go to his 3rd unless he was forced to do so. Especially if his 2nd stringer has won games for him in the past, & is healthy.

McNair probably tried to let Kubiak make that decision on his own, but Gary couldn't...that combined with the team dropping 14 straight games combined with the fact Gary kept inserting Schaub in over Keenum ultimately got that dude fired.

Towards his fan boys on this site? Yes

Towards CK himself? Nah

Sorry, I just don't see the "fan boy" thing. Yes, he does have his fans, but "fan boy" suggests a VYesque cult following and that just simply doesn't exist. People root for him and want to see him succeed, but I don't hear anyone suggesting they will disown the team or give up their season tickets now that he wasn't proclaimed the starting QB.

ravens wanted to trade for yates on draft day we could of got a pick ..?????

Rick is deff messin up

Lol, here's BoB talking a little about the qb competition after the 1st practice of minicamp right before Yates was cut.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Bill-OBrien-Fitzpatrick-is-our-starter/3a8bce0c-b8bd-4918-ab4e-931bd2035967#/tv-media/videos/OBrien_on_first_day_of_minicamp/ab5f9555-b9ec-4338-8ebd-17729a84af2f

BoB had been saying the same thing about all the guys up to that point, yet he went on ahead and named Fitz the starter before most coaches in his situation do which clearly shows how he felt about Fitz. He also makes clear distinctions about Savage's progression most times by saying things like he's "a little behind" or just mentioning him separately from the other 2; which tells me he's likely not seriously considering Savage to be his #2 at this point. That left Case and TJ in which he doesn't say anything 1 way or the other about either guy...which implies that they're pretty much even. We also have their history. Neither guy could really separate themselves from each other last year in the preseason....

That leaves only a few variables left. Case's supposed higher "upside" and/or him outperforming TJ in OTA's......the above stuff doesn't seem to suggest either 1 of those being a real factor. The only thing you're really left with his McNair. It wouldn't be the 1st time McNair got involved with the qb situation.

Only Keenum fan boys take it as a slight to Keenum...instead of honestly evaluating Keenum's situation here.

So it's speculation on your part. Thanks for the info.

ps There's nothing wrong with speculation and conjecture as long as you remember they aren't facts.

Sorry, I just don't see the "fan boy" thing. Yes, he does have his fans, but "fan boy" suggests a VYesque cult following and that just simply doesn't exist. People root for him and want to see him succeed, but I don't hear anyone suggesting they will disown the team or give up their season tickets now that he wasn't proclaimed the starting QB.

Difference was/is that VY and Manziel were considered to be first round picks and in contention for top 10 selection whereas Keenum was not, and in both cases the Texans were under fan pressure (regardless of whether the Texans felt it or not, the fanbase WAS pressuring the organization) because they had the #1 pick. Scenarios were vastly different between the UT/A&M superstars and the UH hometown hero.

Difference was/is that VY and Manziel were considered to be first round picks and in contention for top 10 selection whereas Keenum was not, and in both cases the Texans were under fan pressure (regardless of whether the Texans felt it or not, the fanbase WAS pressuring the organization) because they had the #1 pick. Scenarios were vastly different between the UT/A&M superstars and the UH hometown hero.

McNair didn't succumb to those pressures, so why now?

Certainly the cries for VY was hell a whole lot louder, and the clamoring for Manziel was also significant.

So it's speculation on your part. Thanks for the info.

ps There's nothing wrong with speculation and conjecture as long as you remember they aren't facts.

Never proclaimed them to be anything more than what they are buddy....

What's the popular saying "the most popular player on the team is always the back up qb.." Multiply that by 2 when said qb is from home city/state.

What we do know is McNair put the call in for him during the season at some point....As I've stated before, In all my years of watching this game on this level, 've never seen a coach skip over his perfectly healthy 2nd string qb to go to his 3rd unless he was forced to do so. Especially if his 2nd stringer has won games for him in the past, & is healthy.

McNair probably tried to let Kubiak make that decision on his own, but Gary couldn't...that combined with the team dropping 14 straight games combined with the fact Gary kept inserting Schaub in over Keenum ultimately got that dude fired.
We agree that it's all under the bridge now.
But Yates did have his chance when he replaced Schaub in the Rams game.
Yates, himself, admitted that he screwed up his chance.
When Keenum got hurt during the second Colts game, the Texans decided to go back to Schaub for the last two games.
Personally, I wanted to see Yates.
For me, even thought at that moment, Keenum already surpassed Yates, neither had convinced me totally.
McNair could have asked O'Brien not to draft a QB (unless there's one early), but the fact that O'Brien took Savage in the fourth, to me, indicates that Yates wasn't in OB's plan either.
But he wanted to have a chance to observe first hand how Yates operates.
If McNair wants it, the Texans would have cut Yates right after the draft.

Obviously, each of us has the free will to think which QB is a better prospect, and I respect the opinrosterf others.

I just think that there are very little evidence that McNair has been protective of Keenum.
If he was, I don't see the Texans even draft Savage.
I won't rule everything out completely though.

Keenum isn't certain to make the roster, but I think he has a chance.

Personally, I wouldn't have signed Fitz.
I would take that $4M and get the team a legit RT so Newton can be the swing man.

I guess I'm missing your point. Are you saying because Case went undrafted he is not allowed to have fans and if he does, they are "fan boys"? I think the entire CK "fan boy" thing is completely contrived. Maybe it makes true fan boys of VY (and to a much lesser extant JFF) feel better about themselves to invent such a thing. I'd be pretty embarrassed too if I acted like that.

Last edited:
I know NCTexan will lambast me - hell, maybe everybody else will, too - nevertheless, am I the only one that thinks Yates simply might not be that smart of a person to play as an NFL QB? I'm not talking VY dumb, but there's always been something about Yates on and off the field that just didn't add up to him processing information. It's as if Keenum thought too much, and Yates with his slow release (despite his NFL caliber velocity - 62mph?) took longer to process the same information. This is the same thing I believe that riddled him in college.

The success that Yates had, I believe, came from an ignorance-is-bliss scenario, until he simply could not keep up... and by "keeping up," I'm saying that he had been engrained so much in one system (in college and the pros) that OB's system was just too much for him, coupled with his mental deficits.

Contrast that to Mr. Harvard and Mr. UH and you have guys that tend to do better in quicker situations (in theory)... and then you have Mr. Cage, as a rookie, so what are you going to do? Release Mr. Playoff is the obvious answer, obviously.

Yup, looks like we got a LB for Yates. I'm cool w that. Kubes QBs will all soon be a distant memory.

I know NCTexan will lambast me - hell, maybe everybody else will, too - nevertheless, am I the only one that thinks Yates simply might not be that smart of a person to play as an NFL QB? I'm not talking VY dumb, but there's always been something about Yates on and off the field that just didn't add up to him processing information.

Nope! No lambasting here.

To be honest I was happy when we took Yates, but I didn't expect much from him out of college. Most of my expectations for him actually came after he had played in the NFL and I thought he might have the chance to be a better NFL QB than college QB.

When he did not seem to improve from season to season my hope was pretty homerish and partially just counter to the Keenum-love that was/is so prevalent.

I think if I were to look at it honestly, I'm not sure I would disagree with the statement that the game never "slowed down" for Yates as much as it seems to for successful players.

i told you guys nobody named TJ would ever be a great quarterback.

if you cant use your first name, there's no point in using you.

how many great QBs with two letters for their first name?

i told you guys nobody named TJ would ever be a great quarterback.

if you cant use your first name, there's no point in using you.

how many great QBs with two letters for their first name?

Y.A. Tittle. 7x Pro Bowl, 4 x All-Pro, 4 NFL MVP award. Played 16 years. Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 1971. Jersey retired by the New York Giants.

That's enough.

Y.A. Tittle. 7x Pro Bowl, 4 x All-Pro, 4 NFL MVP award. Played 16 years. Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 1971. Jersey retired by the New York Giants.

That's enough.

QFT

You historian, there will be none of this on this MB.

That's enough.
There goes that smarter than everyone else theory he had.

That's enough.

QFT

You historian, there will be none of this on this MB.

Game. Set. Match.

There goes that smarter than everyone else theory he had.

That theory was dashed on the rocks of despair fairly quickly.

YA Tittle???

you had to go back to the 40s and 50s to get your answer?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Definitely the rule.

not the exception.

:toropalm:

YA Tittle???

Definitely the rule.

not the exception.

:toropalm:

Yeah, but he has a full head of hair from the top of his head to the bottom of his neck!

YA Tittle???

Definitely the rule.

This here is Texas. In Texas football is king. You don't have to root up too much topsoil in Texas to find a Hall of Fame quarterback, born and raised in Marshall, Texas to prove a point.

Back