Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UDFA SIGNINGS

He looks good and I don't want to be a pessimist but I always take guys who run through very big holes all the time with a grain of salt. He won't be piling up yards against Western Michigan here and he won't be seeing holes the size of those running behind what passes for our OL. He does show some ability though so like every player the Texans bring in I'd like to think that he's going to be something special and do well.
He is known for having great balance as a runner and is an arm tackle breaker.
He was ranked in the 5th, but like so many good players went undrafted.

I really enjoy the research and good information you guys are putting out on our UDFA's. Thank you!
I can't explain it, but as much as I enjoy the draft talk, I always seem to enjoy the UDFA stuff more. Just like this year. You guys do the work, I have the fun.

I figured it out. The UDFA thread is
loaded with excitement and fun speculation, quite unlike the draft related threads which are full of negativity, complaining, argument, 1.23 dysfunction and OB is terrible and on and on. Life has been hard lately, so this thread allows some escape. I like it here, plus I don't have the time to research the UDFA's. It's fun to dream again. I don't have anything intelligent to contribute here, at least not yet, so I'll just leave it at Thank you.

Gaine on veteran safety Jahleel Addae and undrafted rookie receiver Johnnie Dixon.

Texans general manager Brian Gaine was asked this week about two of his newest additions — veteran safety Jahleel Addae and undrafted rookie receiver Johnnie Dixon.

Addae signed with the Texans to replace the retired Andre Hal. After starting every game the last two seasons at strong safety and free safety for the Los Angeles Chargers, he was released to save $5 million under the salary cap. Addae, who played more snaps the last two seasons than any player on the Chargers, will back up Justin Reid and Tashaun Gipson. "We saw it as an opportunity to improve the depth at that position," Gaine said. "We appreciate all of Andre Hal’s contributions to the team, but when we lost Andre, there was a little bit of a void in terms of veteran experience. "Here’s a guy (Addae) who’s played strong and free safety, and he’s got experience on special teams. He’ll come in and contribute any way he can." Addae, 29, played his first six seasons with the Chargers after making the team as an undrafted free agent. "He’s been a starter, a backup and a fourth down (special teams) player," Gaine said. "He fits our culture, our program and our expectations. We’re excited to have him."

Gaine is excited to have Dixon, too. There’s going to be a lot of competition for the fourth receiver spot behind DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller and Keke Coutee. Dixon, 5-10, 201, ran a 4.41 40-yard dash at the combine. Because Ohio State had so many talented receivers, Dixon was a backup as a junior who started five games as a senior. In his last two seasons with the Buckeyes, Dixon had 60 catches for 1,091 yards (18.2 average) and 17 touchdowns. "He played behind and with a lot of good wide receivers," Gaine said. "We’re excited about his potential." As a junior, Dixon caught only 18 passes, but he averaged 23.4 yards a catch and scored eight touchdowns that averaged 32 yards. "He’s got outside/inside versatility," Gaine said. "He’s not a one-hole player. He’s not just a slot receiver, and he’s not just a perimeter guy. We also think he can help us on fourth down (special teams), so he’s got a good opportunity here."

Joining Texans ‘a dream come true’ for rookie Johnnie Dixon

Hanging out with his infant daughter Zya, former Ohio State wide receiver Johnnie Dixon reflected on how much his life is about to change. Signed by the Texans as an undrafted free agent, Dixon is intrigued by the opportunity. He joins a receiving corps in need of depth and an ability to strike deep behind All-Pro DeAndre Hopkins and frequently injured starters Will Fuller and Keke Coutee.

"Right now, it’s a blur," Dixon said in a telephone interview. "It’s something I’ve always dreamed of. This has always been a dream of mine. It really hasn’t hit me too much. I’m pretty sure the feeling will come when I get to the rookie minicamp. "I’m excited for sure. Watching a guy like Hop is crazy. Getting a chance to learn from him and play beside him is a dream come true."

Dixon worked out privately for Texans receivers coach John Perry before the draft on the Ohio State campus. He caught 42 passes for 669 yards and nine touchdowns last season for the Buckeyes. He returned 13 kickoffs for 240 yards. Over the past two seasons, he caught 60 passes for 1,091 yards and 16 touchdowns. "I definitely had a good feeling about the workout," Dixon said. "I thought I did really well."

Dixon chose the Texans over several competing offers, including the Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns. His contract includes $50,000 guaranteed with a $40,000 first-year base salary guarantee and a $10,000 signing bonus. "I had a pretty good market for free agency," Dixon said. "I already had it all set up where I wanted to go. It all fell into a perfect place. I didn’t think I was going to be a free agent, but they said I was at the top of the list if I didn’t get drafted."

A former blue-chip recruit from Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., the 5-10, 201-pounder runs the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds. He had a 37½-inch vertical leap and a 4.43 20-yard shuttle. As a junior, Dixon caught eight touchdowns and averaged 23.4 yards per catch on 18 receptions for 422 yards. Dixon has overcome past knee issues that limited him during his first few seasons for the Buckeyes and is fully healthy now.

"The Texans get somebody who can bring a lot to the table on offense and even special teams," Dixon said. "A big-time playmaker on offense who can do a lot of things.I’m one of the most underrated people coming out of the draft. All I really needed was an opportunity. I’m going to give it my all like I always do."

Don't consider that realistic with what we know about his situation..

The way Gaine is signing players (some w/health risks) to one year contracts seems to be an effort to provide incremental improvements/ upgrades. More or less stop gap players for short term improvement.

His stated preference is to draft players for the long term.

He really does seem to have a plan but it will not be fully implemented fast enough for some of our fans / posters.

I can wait, it ain't like I have somewhere else to go.

I might feel different if I were spending my kids inheritance on tickets, pom poms, foam fingers and twenty dollar sandwiches. :)

:coffee:

Hopefully they 4-5 good yrs out of Dixson before his knee goes out.

The guy is really talented.
It is unfortunate about his knees but he still had moments even with them like that.
If he gets 5 or 6 snaps a game that may help him. Otoh, if he is called into service at receiver due to injuries, he may just have to have injections or whatever it is they do.
Hope he doesn't ruin his golden years chasing the big bucks while young, although that horse may have already bolted.

Karan Higdon, RB, Michigan
The underlying battle I’m excited about this summer is the running back competition between undrafted free agents Karan Higdon and Damarea Crockett. In a league transitioning to running back by committee, Houston hasn’t gotten much production out of their backfield apart from Lamar Miller. The Houston Texans have lacked depth behind Miller year after year, but Higdon could be a pleasant surprise.

I’m not saying he’ll be Arian Foster–arguably the best undrafted running back of all time. However, he very well could stick in a committee, as he did at Michigan. Higdon is a physical one-cut runner who saw an uptick in production and volume in each season following his freshman year. As a Wolverine, Higdon displayed tremendous vision and consistency carrying the football.

Key to 53: With Miller and D’Onta Foreman seemingly the only locks on the roster, that third spot should come down to Higdon and Crockett. I prefer Higdon as he’s shown more consistency and brings a better skill-set to the table. He doesn’t have to set the world on fire, as long as he proves reliability.

Dwayne Haskins 38 yard TD to Johnnie Dixon on the Ohio State opening drive pic.twitter.com/DijOsdOjvm

— The Buckeye Nut (@TheBuckeyeNut) September 8, 2018

Johnnie Dixon, WR, Ohio State
It was disappointing to see Gaine bypass receiving weapons for Deshaun Watson. Granted, the Texans only had seven picks with other areas to prioritize. Among the mass of undrafted free agents brought in by Houston, Johnnie Dixon is my favorite and holds the best chance to stick on this roster leading into the regular season.

The former four-star recruit never held a starting job at Ohio State but flourished in his role as a deep threat and kick returner. He brings 4.4 speed to the table and averaged 32 yards per catch on top of his eight touchdowns last season. Dixon injects even more speed into an offense which features the likes of Will Fuller and Keke Coutee.

Key to 53: First and foremost, Dixon needs to prove his worth as a return man. At this point, Houston only has three receivers considered to be a 53 man lock. If Dixon shows ability as a deep threat and holds his own as a returner, he has an accessible path to a roster spot.

Albert Huggins, DL, Clemson
Among the litter of undrafted free agents signed by the Texans, six were brought in to compete on the defensive line. Of them, Clemson’s Albert Huggins is the most established. The former National Champion struggled to see consistent snaps throughout his college career with three 2019 first round picks ahead of him.

According to the Houston Chronicle, Huggins was handed $40,000 guaranteed – usually an indication an undrafted free agent sticks for at least one season. He’ll never be a guy you want out on the field during passing downs. However, Huggins fits what Houston likes to do up front and has shown ability as a two-gapper. He’s not going to make many plays but rather open up plays for his teammates as he eats up blockers.

Key to 53: There is little to no depth on the defensive line for Houston. That fact coupled with the guaranteed money, it seems like Huggins will earn a 53 man roster spot by default. Although, I’m not sure how long he stays around with such an abysmal athletic profile.

Jamal Davis II, EDGE, Akron
With the Jadeveon Clowney contract situation, it was surprising Houston didn’t draft an edge rusher, but that could come next year. For now, Jamal Davis has a strong chance to hold down a depth spot. Davis is an athletic freak who turned up at the NFL Combine. He checks the athletic and production boxes, but what about tools?

Based on lack of depth and the upside in Davis, that alone could net him a roster spot on the Houston Texans. He’s a unique player with a small sample size off the edge after transitioning from linebacker. Still very raw as a pass rusher, Davis has a long way to go but showed glimpses of improvement as the season went on.

Key to 53: It would be extremely encouraging if Davis could develop a go-to pass rush move. Probably a tall task over the course of training camp. However, he really has a chance to make a name for himself in the preseason. Davis will compete with sophomores Duke Ejiofor and Davin Bellamy. If he displays even some progression as a pass rusher, his special teams experience and athleticism could be enough to give him the edge.

Chris Johnson, S, North Alabama
This may be the wildcard of the group, but Chris Johnson is one of the few undrafted free agents the Texans gave committed guaranteed money to. The North Alabama product ran a blazing 4.42 at his pro day and brings tons of size and length. Johnson’s speed translates when you see his range closing towards the sideline. He couples that with length to disrupt passes at the catch point.

Of all the undrafted free agents brought in by Houston, there’s a strong chance Johnson emerges as the roster bubble fan favorite. He made a ton of highlights in college and should carry that impact into the preseason against even competition. If this proves to be the case, he’ll win the fans over in no time.

Key to 53: There’s a fourth safety spot left to claim and it very well could be seized by Johnson. The key for him will be showing off that play-making ability in the preseason. The Houston Texans will want him to use that speed to run around the field and make plays. I love the upside Johnson offers and a big preseason should land him on the roster.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/five-houston-texans-udfa-that-could-make-the-roster/

Our very own WF said Higdon has inconsistent vision. I will take his word on this.

Love Dixon despite his knees and think he has the ability to be the guy who replaces WFV when he gets hurt again and the offense wont miss a beat.

Huggins really didn't play much but more than held his own in the NC game.

Johnson will make the team and be a major ST's guy while learning the NFL. Love this guy.

Our very own WF said Higdon has inconsistent vision. I will take his word on this.

Love Dixon despite his knees and think he has the ability to be the guy who replaces WFV when he gets hurt again and the offense wont miss a beat.

Huggins really didn't play much but more than held his own in the NC game.

Johnson will make the team and be a major ST's guy while learning the NFL. Love this guy.
Tyrone or Chris?
Both are interesting prospects.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dixon's upside.
It augers well for the 4th WR spot.

Really interested in Vyncint Smith heading into year 2 as well. People forgot he was a raw project his rookie season when Fuller/Coutee missed most of the season and he had to play meaningful snaps. Hopefully it was a good learning experience for him and he makes a big jump in year 2 where he is ready to produce if called upon.

Really interested in Vyncint Smith heading into year 2 as well. People forgot he was a raw project his rookie season when Fuller/Coutee missed most of the season and he had to play meaningful snaps. Hopefully it was a good learning experience for him and he makes a big jump in year 2 where he is ready to produce if called upon.
It's likely going to come down to who is better on ST - Dixon is known as being a ST gunner and punt returner.

Texans' one-year deal for running back-kick returner Taiwan Jones: $1.02 million, including $930,000 base salary, $45,000 signing bonus, $45,000 roster bonus, cap figure $735,000 under minimum salary benefit, deal includes injury waiver

Texans' one-year deal for running back-kick returner Taiwan Jones: $1.02 million, including $930,000 base salary, $45,000 signing bonus, $45,000 roster bonus, cap figure $735,000 under minimum salary benefit, deal includes injury waiver

If Taiwan Jones brings anything to the field, he's a bargain. And for a guy near the end of his career, that's still a pretty nice payday.

Back