Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UDFA SIGNINGS

gafftop

All Pro
Missouri RB Damera Crockett

???? Our future RB?? I guess I could see it mix between Miller and a poor man's Blue

Completely unproven as a receiver, just nine career catches. Major fumble concerns, currently has fumbled once every 40 touches in his Missouri. Spindly frame, more of a herky-jerky mover than an explosive one. Not a tackle-breaker, easily brought down by first contact. Disappointing number of lower arm tackles bring him down. Upright runner who exposes a lot of surface area for hits.

Internal clock behind the line of scrimmage needs to tick faster. Doesn’t run outside zone fast enough, could be a processing issue. Vision is inconsistent. Too indecisive as a runner, allows penetration to catch up with him in the backfield. Lacks breakaway speed, and takes a few strides to get to his top speed. Athleticism is going to be a major question mark, although he tested well out of high school.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
???? Our future RB?? I guess I could see it mix between Miller and a poor man's Blue

Completely unproven as a receiver, just nine career catches. Major fumble concerns, currently has fumbled once every 40 touches in his Missouri. Spindly frame, more of a herky-jerky mover than an explosive one. Not a tackle-breaker, easily brought down by first contact. Disappointing number of lower arm tackles bring him down. Upright runner who exposes a lot of surface area for hits.

Internal clock behind the line of scrimmage needs to tick faster. Doesn’t run outside zone fast enough, could be a processing issue. Vision is inconsistent. Too indecisive as a runner, allows penetration to catch up with him in the backfield. Lacks breakaway speed, and takes a few strides to get to his top speed. Athleticism is going to be a major question mark, although he tested well out of high school.
Who called him our future RB? Certainly no one in this thread.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
@badboy just watched North Alabama vs North Dakota St. Really liking Chris Johnson!

6’3” 200 ran a 4.42 40 and that speed shows up on tape. Quick twitch athlete with excellent closing speed. Any idea on his arm length? They’ve gotta be 32” plus looks lanky like our new CB Lonnie Johnson.

Team has made a dedicated effort to increase length at DB position. Trying to increase margin of error for teams because our new DBs will have the length to bat away the ball or get a pick. He’s definitely making this team!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I have to question this evaluation after his description of "spindly." How is a 5'10" 225 lb RB considered "spindly"? He's a one cut and go guy that has shown plenty of speed to use up open field and leave defenders behind. No doubt he needs more experience and coaching up once in the NFL. He's good at finding those holes and when defenders don't hit him straight up, he can and many times runs right through them. O'Brien will also like the fact that he's not afraid to pass protect, and he's solid at it. He was not called on to do much in terms of receiving, but has shown that he did so when needed including 2 TDs. Let's remember that he only has a 3-year college experience (really 2 1/2 when you take into account his missing 1/2 a season due to labrum surgery [I commented on this and its implications in a previous post..........by his performance last year, it appears that he has returned to pre-injury level, without the need for shoulder support/harness]). All this on the positive side adds up to the fact that he is a RB with low mileage on his body.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
WR Johnnie Dixon is a serious deep threat. He had Haskins throwing him the ball but our guy can throw those too - just needs time for the play to develop. (Rolls eyes)
In the day 3 thread I said I hoped we would get him with our 7th round pick. Ecstatic to get him as a UDFA. Love the philosophical change by team adding all these speed WRs that can track the deep ball. Every WR minus Hopkins now comes equipped with 4.3/4.4 jets!

Dixon compares favorably to Keke as his backup in the slot. In the event Keke get injured now we don’t lose the breakaway speed deep threat element of Keke’s game. Also can contribute as a KR/gunner on ST. I think he takes Deandre Carter’s roster spot and gives DW4 yet another playmaker.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Re. Javier Edwards Colo NT:
Pretty impressive for such a big man.

At his Pro Day workout, Edwards bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.97 seconds. He had a 29-inch vertical leap, an 8-10 broad jump and a 4.83 20-yard shuttle.

The 6-3, 325-pounder has squatted 550 pounds.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

At his Pro Day workout, Edwards bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.97 seconds. He had a 29-inch vertical leap, an 8-10 broad jump and a 4.83 20-yard shuttle.

Interested to see him and Huggins added to the DL room. Weaver will get the most out of them and Omenihu.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Crockett had right shoulder labrum repair Oct 2017. Throughout last year, he commonly used his right arm to stiff arm with no apparent ill effects. I'm looking forward to see him in action this spring.
I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.
@badboy just watched North Alabama vs North Dakota St. Really liking Chris Johnson!

6’3” 200 ran a 4.42 40 and that speed shows up on tape. Quick twitch athlete with excellent closing speed. Any idea on his arm length? They’ve gotta be 32” plus looks lanky like our new CB Lonnie Johnson.

Team has made a dedicated effort to increase length at DB position. Trying to increase margin of error for teams because our new DBs will have the length to bat away the ball or get a pick. He’s definitely making this team!
Will be a good ST addition if he can't make the cut at S, but something tells me he can make the grade as he can play both Safety positions.
Has a good report at draftdiamonds, but they can overdo it a tad.
Be keeping an eye on him too.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
RB Karan Higdon Michigan
RB Damarea Crockett Missouri
WR Johnnie Dixon Ohio State
WR Stephen Louis North Carolina State
WR Tyron Johnson Oklahoma State
G Malcolm Pridgeon Ohio State
C DJ Coker Rhodes College
NT Javi Edwards Colorado
NT Walter Palmore Missouri
DE Ira Savage-Lewis Baylor
DE Johnny Dwight Alabama
DE Albert Huggins Clemson
OLB Jesse Aniebonum Maryland
OLB Jamal Davis Akron
ILB Dexter Wright North Carolina St
ILB Chase Middleton Georgia State
ILB Drew Lewis Colorado
S Chris Johnson North Alabama
S Austin Exford Appalachian State
CB Derrick Baity Kentucky

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

Completely unproven as a receiver, just nine career catches. Major fumble concerns, currently has fumbled once every 40 touches in his Missouri.
I can see where this comes into play. I caught Crockett having the ball in the wrong arm and letting his arm get away from his body. Usually, he's in good position with the ball, but can let it slip in the open field. Also, he decelerates when he uses the stiff arm (which comes out too early and too often).

But, I do think Crockett has a pro burst and a 2nd gear. Also, he can make subtle moves to make tackles miss. That's usually more effective than the big jump cuts other RBs deploy. Not a lot of pussyfooting around the goal line. I can see a practice squad in his future, where he works on the passing game aspects.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Clemson OT Mitch Hyatt has signed with Dallas.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!

Except that he's 350 lbs. Not 325. He's big, strong and fast. I think he's the undrafted one that could not only make the team, but also make the biggest impact on defense as a rookie. This is the kid to watch this preseason.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Except that he's 350 lbs. Not 325. He's big, strong and fast. I think he's the undrafted one that could not only make the team, but also make the biggest impact on defense as a rookie. This is the kid to watch this preseason.
Every up to date source (including the Texans) has listed him at 325 lbs. He used to weigh more in the past............much more.
https://www.ralphiereport.com/2019/4/27/18514982/javier-edwards-striding-towards-the-nfl
Javier Edwards striding towards the NFL
Former Colorado Buffaloes DT seeing his draft stock rising rapidly after a fantastic pro day
By Jeff Hauser@radiohauser Apr 27, 2019, 11:27am Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Javier Edwards was made for the game of football.

From his days as a kid growing up in Houston, Texas, the big buffalo aspired to takes his dream of playing on the gridiron to the next level. After this weekend, Edwards’ shot in the National Football League will become a reality.

Starting out at 6’3” and 370-pounds, the former Blinn junior college prospect started to make a name for himself in a major way by attracting the likes of several SEC schools. However, the going south was meant to be for Edwards due to a technicality. “I really wanted to go to Florida or Arkansas. But, I was told I would need to take an extra class to go to either school. I already paid extra money out of my pocket for classes and I needed to graduate. And I couldn’t afford to make that work. On the other hand, Colorado told me that I was qualified to go there and be on campus right away.” A decision that worked out for Edwards for the better.

“I also fell in love with the flatirons right away and remember coming away from my visit to Boulder thinking this was where I want to be.”

A two-sport athlete at heart, Edwards felt the passion for being a dominant athlete early on. He excelled at track and field along with football as his primary sport. A force larger than most, Edwards was underestimated for his speed and awareness to swarm the ball. A pure bully who’s a natural at throwing his weight around like a sumo wrestler, yet always in control of his big frame with powerful bear-like strength.

Despite putting up decent numbers in 2017 with 33 tackles, including three for losses and one sack, Javier felt he needed an adjustment and lost 40 pounds to an impressively slim 325-pound mark. The drop helped match the pace from his junior season as the Buffs defensive anchor. A momentum shift that carried over into the postseason.

Edwards pushed his way through CU’s pro-day and gathered interest from several NFL scouts. ”I just went out there and tried to turn heads,” Edwards said. “It felt like nobody was paying attention and I needed to show them what I was capable of.”

He got down to 329 by the beginning of last season.

Colorado Nose Tackle Javier Edwards Has Lost More Than 60 Pounds
ByADAM MUNSTERTEIGER Aug 30, 2018

They call him "Big Jav" for a reason. But after working closely with the Buffaloes' staff for a year-and-a-half to get his weight down, defensive lineman Javier Edwards is in much better shape going into his senior campaign.

When Edwards arrived in Boulder in January of 2017 as a transfer from Blinn College, he weighed 390-pounds. He needed a wide body to try to plug both A gaps in CU's defensive scheme, however, he didn't need to be nearly that big.

Conditioning was an issue for Edwards during his first season in Boulder. He was the starting nose tackle but played just 361 of the team's 884 defensive snaps.

"He was quick, but only for about two plays," Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre said of Edwards. "He really started working with our nutritionist (Laura Anderson). He started working with our trainers and our strength coaches and they put him on a plan. He worked at it and stayed at it. That is pretty hard to do for a 20 year old kid."

The first piece of advice Anderson gave Edwards was to stop drinking sugary beverages.

"The juice, man... I loved juice," he said. "It was hard to cut it out at first but now I got it. Coach 'Mac' has been helping me a lot with that, too. He will give me a Propel (water) instead of Gatorade."

Edwards now stands 6-foot-3, 329-pounds as he gets prepared to run out behind Ralphie for the Rocky Mountain Showdown. He feels ready to take on a heavier workload on the Buffaloes' defensive line.

"I am way lighter on my feet," Edwards said. "I feel like I can probably line up out there with (receivers) Juwann (Winfree) and Laviska (Shenault) and go run some routes if they need me to (laughing)."

While playing receiver is not going to happen for Edwards, he received praise from MacIntyre earlier this week.

"He is quicker, stronger, and more powerful. He looks like a good football player out there," MacIntyre said. "I hope he does that in the games coming up. I think he can be a force inside."

In addition to his conditioning, Edwards believes his technique is in a better place now. First-year defensive line coach Kwahn Drake has taught Edwards how to use his hips more and shown him how to play with better leverage.

"Coach Drake really helped me improve on rushing the passer. My game has improved tremendously since he came in," Edwards said. "He is a fun guy with a good attitude. Coach Drake has a smile on his face every day when he comes in. He loves his job, loves what he does, and we feed off that."

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Every up to date source (including the Texans) has listed him at 325 lbs. He used to weigh more in the past............much more.
Javier Edwards striding towards the NFL
Former Colorado Buffaloes DT seeing his draft stock rising rapidly after a fantastic pro day
By Jeff Hauser@radiohauser Apr 27, 2019, 11:27am Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Javier Edwards was made for the game of football.

From his days as a kid growing up in Houston, Texas, the big buffalo aspired to takes his dream of playing on the gridiron to the next level. After this weekend, Edwards’ shot in the National Football League will become a reality.

Starting out at 6’3” and 370-pounds, the former Blinn junior college prospect started to make a name for himself in a major way by attracting the likes of several SEC schools. However, the going south was meant to be for Edwards due to a technicality. “I really wanted to go to Florida or Arkansas. But, I was told I would need to take an extra class to go to either school. I already paid extra money out of my pocket for classes and I needed to graduate. And I couldn’t afford to make that work. On the other hand, Colorado told me that I was qualified to go there and be on campus right away.” A decision that worked out for Edwards for the better.

“I also fell in love with the flatirons right away and remember coming away from my visit to Boulder thinking this was where I want to be.”

A two-sport athlete at heart, Edwards felt the passion for being a dominant athlete early on. He excelled at track and field along with football as his primary sport. A force larger than most, Edwards was underestimated for his speed and awareness to swarm the ball. A pure bully who’s a natural at throwing his weight around like a sumo wrestler, yet always in control of his big frame with powerful bear-like strength.

Despite putting up decent numbers in 2017 with 33 tackles, including three for losses and one sack, Javier felt he needed an adjustment and lost 40 pounds to an impressively slim 325-pound mark. The drop helped match the pace from his junior season as the Buffs defensive anchor. A momentum shift that carried over into the postseason.

Edwards pushed his way through CU’s pro-day and gathered interest from several NFL scouts. ”I just went out there and tried to turn heads,” Edwards said. “It felt like nobody was paying attention and I needed to show them what I was capable of.”

He got down to 329 by the beginning of last season.

Colorado Nose Tackle Javier Edwards Has Lost More Than 60 Pounds
ByADAM MUNSTERTEIGER Aug 30, 2018

They call him "Big Jav" for a reason. But after working closely with the Buffaloes' staff for a year-and-a-half to get his weight down, defensive lineman Javier Edwards is in much better shape going into his senior campaign.

When Edwards arrived in Boulder in January of 2017 as a transfer from Blinn College, he weighed 390-pounds. He needed a wide body to try to plug both A gaps in CU's defensive scheme, however, he didn't need to be nearly that big.

Conditioning was an issue for Edwards during his first season in Boulder. He was the starting nose tackle but played just 361 of the team's 884 defensive snaps.

"He was quick, but only for about two plays," Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre said of Edwards. "He really started working with our nutritionist (Laura Anderson). He started working with our trainers and our strength coaches and they put him on a plan. He worked at it and stayed at it. That is pretty hard to do for a 20 year old kid."

The first piece of advice Anderson gave Edwards was to stop drinking sugary beverages.

"The juice, man... I loved juice," he said. "It was hard to cut it out at first but now I got it. Coach 'Mac' has been helping me a lot with that, too. He will give me a Propel (water) instead of Gatorade."

Edwards now stands 6-foot-3, 329-pounds as he gets prepared to run out behind Ralphie for the Rocky Mountain Showdown. He feels ready to take on a heavier workload on the Buffaloes' defensive line.

"I am way lighter on my feet," Edwards said. "I feel like I can probably line up out there with (receivers) Juwann (Winfree) and Laviska (Shenault) and go run some routes if they need me to (laughing)."

While playing receiver is not going to happen for Edwards, he received praise from MacIntyre earlier this week.

"He is quicker, stronger, and more powerful. He looks like a good football player out there," MacIntyre said. "I hope he does that in the games coming up. I think he can be a force inside."

In addition to his conditioning, Edwards believes his technique is in a better place now. First-year defensive line coach Kwahn Drake has taught Edwards how to use his hips more and shown him how to play with better leverage.

"Coach Drake really helped me improve on rushing the passer. My game has improved tremendously since he came in," Edwards said. "He is a fun guy with a good attitude. Coach Drake has a smile on his face every day when he comes in. He loves his job, loves what he does, and we feed off that."
LOL. What ever he's at now between 325 and 350 is really off no matter. He's still big, very strong and incredibly fast for his size. This is the kid the Texans need in the middle of that defensive line. He'll stop the run at the point of attack and get through to disrupt quarterbacks in the passing game. I just think he's one to watch this offseason, through training camp and in preseason play. Him, Karan Higdon, Chris Johnson and Johnnie Dixon are they ones I'm most excited to watch this preseason.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This is his actual Pro Day sheet..............weighed in at 323 lbs,

********************************************************************************

The only source that had him a 350 lbs was 247Sports.com (the one you must have come across). But if you go to the "timeline" and click on "Load more/See all 30 entries," you will see that this weight reflects August 2017 information (before he lost his weight to 323 lbs for the 2018 season)

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Who wrote this? His agent? I'm as hopeful as anyone, but this is a touch too much.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Who wrote this? His agent? I'm as hopeful as anyone, but this is a touch too much.
For a 325+ lbs guy to run a 4.97 in the 40 is almost inconceivable. How is it at all possible for someone that big to run that fast. Plus he squats 550 lbs. And threw up 225 lbs 31 times in the bench press during his pro day. This guy really is a beast. And he's a home grown beast. The guy is from right here in Houston. Went to Aldine High School.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
For a 325+ lbs guy to run a 4.97 in the 40 is almost inconceivable. How is it at all possible for someone that big to run that fast. Plus he squats 550 lbs. And threw up 225 lbs 31 times in the bench press during his pro day. This guy really is a beast. And he's a home grown beast. The guy is from right here in Houston. Went to Aldine High School.
I have zero problem with this signing. I hope for the best, both for Edwards and the team. But there's nothing on the production side that suggests that his workout numbers (even the ones CND posted) translate. That's all I'm saying.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
A couple of signings under the radar...

Drew Lewis is a freak athlete who could take Peters spot on the roster as a reserve ILB / special teamer.

Jamal Davis is an undersized edge rusher who racked up 31 TFL the last 2 years and is athletic as hell.

Tyron Johnson is a vertical threat who ran 4.3-4.4 at his pro day. I like him more than Dixon, who has been getting hyped here.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
A couple of signings under the radar...

Drew Lewis is a freak athlete who could take Peters spot on the roster as a reserve ILB / special teamer.

Jamal Davis is an undersized edge rusher who racked up 31 TFL the last 2 years and is athletic as hell.

Tyron Johnson is a vertical threat who ran 4.3-4.4 at his pro day. I like him more than Dixon, who has been getting hyped here.
Tyron Johnson is good as well but I think he’s more of a threat to Vyncint Smith as an outside WR candidate.

Love how everybody added is an impressive athlete. Gone are the days where we sign subpar athletes that did well in college. That no longer flies in the NFL. A 4.8 40 safety isn’t gonna last long in the league.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In the day 3 thread I said I hoped we would get him with our 7th round pick. Ecstatic to get him as a UDFA. Love the philosophical change by team adding all these speed WRs that can track the deep ball. Every WR minus Hopkins now comes equipped with 4.3/4.4 jets!

Dixon compares favorably to Keke as his backup in the slot. In the event Keke get injured now we don’t lose the breakaway speed deep threat element of Keke’s game. Also can contribute as a KR/gunner on ST. I think he takes Deandre Carter’s roster spot and gives DW4 yet another playmaker.
This is a DRAFT PROFILE which seems like at fair assessment of his performance skills:

Strengths
  • confident catcher of the football with soft hands;
  • straight line burst can induce panic grabs out of corners;
  • accelerates to full speed rather seamlessly;
  • recognizes zone seams and makes himself available there;
  • active with his hands in combatting press coverage;
  • showcases a lot of potential as a vertical threat;
  • solid ball-tracking ability downfield;
  • contributed as a returner and a gunner on special teams in college.
Weaknesses
  • undersized at the next level for the role he primarily occupied in college;
  • not much of a playmaker after the catch;
  • generally brought down on initial contact;
  • might not have the functional strength to consistently separate from jams;
  • not a lot of contested catch ability shows up on film;
  • a willing blocker but he oftentimes gets overpowered;
  • 41 appearances for OSU but only five starts and just two years of noticeable production;
  • has a history of repeated knee injuries;

One of the main reasons he went undrafted was his knee issues.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This is a DRAFT PROFILE which seems like at fair assessment of his performance skills:

Strengths
  • confident catcher of the football with soft hands;
  • straight line burst can induce panic grabs out of corners;
  • accelerates to full speed rather seamlessly;
  • recognizes zone seams and makes himself available there;
  • active with his hands in combatting press coverage;
  • showcases a lot of potential as a vertical threat;
  • solid ball-tracking ability downfield;
  • contributed as a returner and a gunner on special teams in college.
Weaknesses
  • undersized at the next level for the role he primarily occupied in college;
  • not much of a playmaker after the catch;
  • generally brought down on initial contact;
  • might not have the functional strength to consistently separate from jams;
  • not a lot of contested catch ability shows up on film;
  • a willing blocker but he oftentimes gets overpowered;
  • 41 appearances for OSU but only five starts and just two years of noticeable production;
  • has a history of repeated knee injuries;

One of the main reasons he went undrafted was his knee issues.
Correct. I think we would have been drafted round 5/6 range had he not had injuries. The bolded strength is something I think the team as a whole is trying to exploit. We have all these deep threats that can take the top off the defense so DBs will have to hold to avoid getting beat. Giving up large chunk gains instead of a TD. He forced a PI against David Long when they played Michigan. Long was a 3rd round pick and one of the draft forum favorites but he got beat deep and grabbed to avoid allowing the TD.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Correct. I think we would have been drafted round 5/6 range had he not had injuries. The bolded strength is something I think the team as a whole is trying to exploit. We have all these deep threats that can take the top off the defense so DBs will have to hold to avoid getting beat. Giving up large chunk gains instead of a TD. He forced a PI against David Long when they played Michigan. Long was a 3rd round pick and one of the draft forum favorites but he got beat deep and grabbed to avoid allowing the TD.
Per Aaron Wilson:

The Texans' investment in their undrafted free agent class includes sizable guaranteed money for Johnnie Dixon and Albert Huggins.

A wide receiver from Ohio State, Dixon received $50,000 total guaranteed. That includes a $10,000 signing bonus and a $40,000 base salary guarantee.

A defensive end from national champion Clemson, Huggins received a total of $40,000 guaranteed.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Texans' investment in their undrafted free agent class includes sizable guaranteed money for Johnnie Dixon and Albert Huggins.

A wide receiver from Ohio State, Dixon received $50,000 total guaranteed. That includes a $10,000 signing bonus and a $40,000 base salary guarantee.

A defensive end from national champion Clemson, Huggins received a total of $40,000 guaranteed.
Interesting to note last year’s top $ UDFA Vyncint Smith was 35k guaranteed with 10k signing bonus 25k base.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/13/vyncint-smith-was-highly-coveted-udfa-signing-for-texans/amp/

badboy

Hall of Fame

Glad you see what I do. I think he could play corner but what a safety! Want to see how he evolves with couple seasons of training.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I was able to find out about Dixon's real story behind his knee issues...........they've always been referred to in general terms as in "repeated injuries." In fact, he began experiencing knee pains in both knees in 2012. Despite long term conservative rehab, these pains gradually increased over time to the point that in 2015, he was unable to continue and was thoroughly worked up orthopedically and found to have a condition of both of his patellar tendons called patellar tendinosis. In the past, it would have been given the name of patellar tendinitis, except that it has been found that this, in most cases is a misnormer, in that this condition does not have an inflammatory origin as would be implied by the suffix "itis" label. Patellar tendinosis is actually degeneration due to chronic microtrauma (little tears which accumulate over time and lead to deterioration of the tendon tissue). The suffix “-osis” more accurately reflects this chronic degenerative pathology. It’s simply a wearing out of the over-stressed tendon. The tendon is most traumatized by repeated jumping (commonly called "jumper's knee, a subject I've addressed here in the past) and by quick directional changes, which could easily explain the condition in a wide receiver.

In mid 2015, he underwent a surgical procedure to address his problem. It entailed making muiltiple small incisions and light scrapings and debridement in both of his diseased patellar tendons in order to promote new blood supply and a naturally healing process that was no longer occurring on its own. During the surgery, they discovered that the articular cartilage on the back side/underside of his patellas (knee caps) were also significantly damaged and irregular in surface with the beginnings of underlying arthritis in these areas and the femoral contact points. Areas of the patellar cartilages required debridement to affect a smoother surface for the patella to glide over the femur.

Usually in these cases, arthritis will not only form on the patella back/under surface, but also on the abutting femoral bone surface (because the irregularities in the back of the patella would then be constantly grinding the femoral articular surface)

Arthritis of both articular surfaces (patellar and femoral)

upload_2019-4-28_20-8-20.jpeg

Dixon has continued to deal with increasing arthritis throughout his most recent season. Despite his condition, it appears that up to now, he has been able to fight through it and perform surprisingly well. Hopefully, he can continue his productivity with the Texans. But he is dealing with serious degenerative disease entities...........the big question is, under the circumstances, how long can he continue to be effective.

Last edited:

Insideop

All Pro
I was able to find out about Dixon's real story behind his knee issues...........they've always been referred to in general terms as in "repeated injuries." In fact, he began experiencing knee pains in both knees in 2012. These pains gradually increased over time to the point that in 2015, he was unable to continue and was thoroughly worked up orthopedically and found to have a condition of both of his patellar tendons called patellar tendinosis. In the past, it would have been given the name of patellar tendinitis, except that it has been found that this, in most cases is a misnormer, in that this condition does not have an inflammatory origin as would be implied by the suffix "itis" label. Patellar tendinosis is actually degeneration due to chronic microtrauma (little tears which accumulate over time and lead to deterioration of the tendon tissue). The suffix “-osis” more accurately reflects this chronic degenerative pathology. It’s simply a wearing out of the over-stressed tendon. The tendon is most traumatized by repeated jumping (commonly called "jumper's knee, a subject I've addressed here in the past) and by quick directional changes, which could easily explain the condition in a wide receiver.

In mid 2015, he underwent a surgical procedure to address his problem. It entailed making muiltiple small incisions and light scrapings and debridement in both of his diseased patellar tendons in order to promote new blood supply and a naturally healing process that was no longer occurring on its own. During the surgery, they discovered that the articular cartilage on the back side/underside of his patellas (knee caps) were also significantly damaged and irregular in surface with the beginnings of underlying arthritis in these areas and the femoral contact points. Areas of the patellar cartilages required debridement to affect a smoother surface for the patella to glide over the femur.

Usually in these cases, arthritis will not only form on the patella back/under surface, but also on the abutting femoral bone surface (because the irregularities in the back of the patella would then be constantly grinding the femoral articular surface)

Arthritis of both articular surfaces (patellar and femoral)

View attachment 4388

Dixon has continued to deal with increasing arthritis throughout his most recent season. Despite his condition, it appears that up to now, he has been able to fight through it and perform surprisingly well. Hopefully, he can continue his productivity with the Texans. But he is dealing with serious degenerative disease entities...........the big question is, under the circumstances, how long can he continue to be effective.

Thanks for the medical education Doc! Always appreciated. When can we receive our diplomas! :)

It sounds like this poor kid will be in a wheelchair by the time he is 35 years old! Realistically, how many years do you think he has left playing? Maybe 2 or 3? It's really a shame someone with that kind of speed and athletic talent has something like this happen to him. Is this more common than we know or is it something rare?

Thanks again Doc!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the medical education Doc! Always appreciated. When can we receive our diplomas! :)

It sounds like this poor kid will be in a wheelchair by the time he is 35 years old! Realistically, how many years do you think he has left playing? Maybe 2 or 3? It's really a shame someone with that kind of speed and athletic talent has something like this happen to him. Is this more common than we know or is it something rare?

Thanks again Doc!
It would be very difficult to answer this question. If the patellar tendinosis is not controlled, it can result in rupture of the tendon (ala, Derek Newton). There is a technique now available to treat this condition, many times avoiding surgery.............Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a procedure that has good results on chronic tendinopathy and a positive effect on pain and functionality. Different studies demonstrated good results with an overall improvement from 73.5% to 87.5% on patients' functionality. It serves now the same purpose of increasing blood supply and healing abilities to the tendon that Dixon's previous surgery afforded. He has much better odds of controlling the tendinosis than the arthritis problem. I would be surprised if the arthritis portion of the problem will allow him to play for more than a year or 2 without need for major surgery to address the articular cartilage damage...........and that won't truly address the underlying arthritic bones. For sure, his situation is not benign. Only time will tell when the grim reaper has his way.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Not signed, but couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

Washington State CB Sean Harper Jr. has been invited to attend rookie mini-camp. He has played 17 games in 2 seasons (11 in 2017 and 6 in 2018) with 8 starts at cornerback. He had 45 total tackles, 1 forced fumble, 10 pass breakups, and 1 interception.

In 2017, he allowed the lowest passer rating among cornerbacks in the Pac-12. He allowed the second-lowest catch rate in 2017, allowing only just 32.4 percent of passes to be caught when he was targeted. Oct 2018, he suffered a torn rotator cuff while making a tackle. The collision was so violent that the screws that were present from a previous shoulder surgery were shattered. These anchor screws are unbelievably solid (usually titanium) and solidly buried in bone.........the impact of the tackle must have been enormous.

VIDEO OF ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR USING ANCHOR SCREWS (ANIMATED>>>NO BLOOD) Rotator Cuff Repair with V-LoX™ Titanium Screw-In Suture Anchors

He will be cleared to return to play by May 10 when rookie camp begins.

PFF College

✔@PFF_College

Sean Harper was stingy in coverage last year

4:31 PM - May 4, 2018

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not signed, but couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

Washington State CB Sean Harper Jr. has been invited to attend rookie mini-camp. He has played 17 games in 2 seasons (11 in 2017 and 6 in 2018) with 8 starts at cornerback. He had 45 total tackles, 1 forced fumble, 10 pass breakups, and 1 interception.

In 2017, he allowed the lowest passer rating among cornerbacks in the Pac-12. He allowed the second-lowest catch rate in 2017, allowing only just 32.4 percent of passes to be caught when he was targeted. Oct 2018, he suffered a torn rotator cuff while making a tackle. The collision was so violent that the screws that were present from a previous shoulder surgery were shattered. These anchor screws are unbelievably solid (usually titanium) and solidly buried in bone.........the impact of the tackle must have been enormous.

VIDEO OF ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR USING ANCHOR SCREWS (ANIMATED>>>NO BLOOD) Rotator Cuff Repair with V-LoX™ Titanium Screw-In Suture Anchors

He will be cleared to return to play by May 10 when rookie camp begins.

PFF College

✔@PFF_College

Sean Harper was stingy in coverage last year

4:31 PM - May 4, 2018
One tuff dude - still wants to play after that.
I like him already too.

Which UDFAs are y’all excited about?

I haven’t been able to do much research. I like Higdon, Dixon, and Huggins. I’ve also heard some intriguing info on some of the DBs.

Thoughts?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I like them all until they prove they suck! Seriously, RB and defensive backs I bet we keep 3-4 of these UDFA's. Some of the safeties and CB's have potential, and we need a third RB and seem to have gotten two guys that can play. I also think Vyncint Smith has been put on notice with Deandre Carter having some competition too. We have to keep 4 TE's and we got a fullback this year, so do we keep one less WR this year? Looking forward to seeing who can play and what direction the minds on Kirby go with the roster

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Being a Bengals fan, I'm also a huge Ohio State Buckeyes fan.
I was pretty pumped up to hear that Dixon ended up with the Texans.

Minus the fact he has some knee concerns, most don't realize how stacked the Buckeyes were at WR.
They had both Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin starting ahead of Dixon, so he was only going to get so many chances.
Put him on another team without that kind of talent and I bet a large amount of money his production goes way up.

That being said, he was able to turn 20% of his 42 catches into TD's. I'd take that kind of production any day of the week.
Adding him as not only another deep threat, but additional competition in the WR group, and you have an instant winner as an UDFA.
Oh yeah, his ability in the ST's arena is also nothing to turn your nose up at either. Really happy for him.

Go Texans !!!