Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tytus Howard = Duane Brown 2.0???

I don't know how many times I've read this since the pick was made...but its just wrong.

Lets look at the numbers

Tytus Howard - 6'5 - 322
Arms - 34
40 - 5.05
bench - 21
vert - 29.5
broad - 8'07
shuttle - 4.87
3-cone - 8.34

Duane Brown - 6'5 - 310
Arms - 33.75
40 - 5.08
bench - 24
vert - 27.5
broad - 8'08
shuttle - 4.52
3-cone - 7.58

If your comparing average humans, then yes, they are very similar big men.
If your comparing Left Tackles, then no, they look like two different positions.
Left Tackle needs big, strong and most of all agile. Shuttle and 3-cone should be where a future left tackle stands out among the other players on the O-line. Duane's 4.54 and 7.58 were good. His shuttle was 3rd best among tackles at the combine I think. Tytus's 4.87 is in the 20-25th rank of tackles this year. 3-cone is even scarier. So please don't compare them anymore. I hope Howard can make me look like an idiot and play even better than Duane Brown. But, I think its a stretch to think he can physically play left tackle at a high level when Mr.Davenport can move better and we know how good he is.

"Again, I’m not reinventing the wheel by pointing out that a HBCU tackle might need some work on his technique to become a good NFL player. Lance Zierlein said Howard reminded him of Duane Brown. I think Brown was a cut above Howard as an athlete, but there is definitely upside to grow into.

With Howard it’s going to be about wrangling all those parts to work together, something that was evident even on the small bits that I was able to watch. Even people who do have more reps than me would tell you that they don’t have much. Howard had just 115 college snaps before his senior season.

If the Duane Brown comp excited you, remember that Duane Brown was not good in his first season. In fact, he split time with Ephraim Salaam and often was overmatched."

THEKDOG
in the TYTUS HOWARD thread, page 11

I don't know how to quote properly

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
"Again, I’m not reinventing the wheel by pointing out that a HBCU tackle might need some work on his technique to become a good NFL player. Lance Zierlein said Howard reminded him of Duane Brown. I think Brown was a cut above Howard as an athlete, but there is definitely upside to grow into.

With Howard it’s going to be about wrangling all those parts to work together, something that was evident even on the small bits that I was able to watch. Even people who do have more reps than me would tell you that they don’t have much. Howard had just 115 college snaps before his senior season.

If the Duane Brown comp excited you, remember that Duane Brown was not good in his first season. In fact, he split time with Ephraim Salaam and often was overmatched."

THEKDOG

if you didn't need to start another thread...it would be simpler.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I will grant you he plays right tackle but Orlando Brown Jr. says hi. Combine is a joke in my book, players focus on getting high numbers on these exact things but that doesn’t tell you much about the player and how they will actually play.

Look at all the busts at all positions that had great combine numbers. That .76 on 3 cone and .35 isn’t going to mean a thing on the field. It’s kind of like your GPA, it means nothing once you get out of school into the real world.

stingray

Hall of Fame
I think the comparison comes from the expectations of where the players were supposed to be drafted and where they were actually drafted. Nothing more, nothing less. And because they play the same position.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

THEKDOG

I know right!

I mean Zerloin can't even speel his name right. What are the chances he knows anything about football... much less O-line play. Random internet dude, I got your back man!

Mike

txtx

Waterboy
I also read Howard's hand strength/skills are mediocre to bad. Even if you're strong AND agile, what's it matter if you let a DL swim past you? The main worry I have with this pick is "developmental" and "upside" and "needs coaching." Devlin doesn't do that, does he? He should have been fired after Jacksonville's 10 sacks 2 years ago. But if Howard develops eventually, where are the rest of the units (or Watson's health) by that time?

And I'm evaluating him not against Davenport, who I'm sure he's an instant upgrade over, but against 1st-round talent. Should your #23 pick have "good upside" or isn't that a term more for a 4th-rounder?

Maybe that's how the Texans evaluated Howard, "must be better than Davenport, get him!"

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
I also read Howard's hand strength/skills are mediocre to bad. Even if you're strong AND agile, what's it matter if you let a DL swim past you? The main worry I have with this pick is "developmental" and "upside" and "needs coaching." Devlin doesn't do that, does he? He should have been fired after Jacksonville's 10 sacks 2 years ago. But if Howard develops eventually, where are the rest of the units (or Watson's health) by that time?

And I'm evaluating him not against Davenport, who I'm sure he's an instant upgrade over, but against 1st-round talent. Should your #23 pick have "good upside" or isn't that a term more for a 4th-rounder?

Maybe that's how the Texans evaluated Howard, "must be better than Davenport, get him!"
He's gained 87+ pounds in three years and hasn't settled into his new mass. As a pretty decent S&C coach, I can assure you that will improve in a year or two. It takes time.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I know right!

I mean Zerloin can't even speel his name right. What are the chances he knows anything about football... much less O-line play. Random internet dude, I got your back man!

Mike
huh?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

THEKDOG

Good post but I don't think that was me

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
But what do they know..........Date of article Feb 28 2019..........essentially before the Combine, before visits..................Kyler Murray at #38 to mention one example.
And after all that, the Eagles moved up for him, err, Dillard.

It was a cute story about former QBs gone OT. The team with the most experience/success at that took a hard pass.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting this article.
Mentioned a couple times after the pick, for one that Philly took Dillard (not that I blame them, but I do) because Howard is actually a better fit and more seamless transfer of position from Peters. Their power blocking and movement skills are mirror images.

vtech9

All Pro
As ATXtexanfan said:
Duane Brown had different coaching
Howard didn't have the same quality of coaches as D. Brown, nor did he have the same trainers to get ready for the combine. If he had had the same trainers as the big school OT's that were invited to the combine, his times would most likely have been better. Considering what he did in the Auburn game, and the Senior Bowl, he did without having the best coaches.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
As ATXtexanfan said:

Howard didn't have the same quality of coaches as D. Brown, nor did he have the same trainers to get ready for the combine. If he had had the same trainers as the big school OT's that were invited to the combine, his times would most likely have been better. Considering what he did in the Auburn game, and the Senior Bowl, he did without having the best coaches.
People keep saying this. Do you know it or assume it? Families (or let's be honest agents and that is school independent) from programs big to small hire combine coaches. I have no idea who coached him. Do y'all?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This pre-Draft video clip/interview below (a DallasCowboys.com presentation) demonstrates his undeniable intelligence. Especially interesting is how he explains playing QB was invaluable to him developing as a top offensive tackle. His ability to intellectually and concisely translate his thoughts into words reminds me much of Duane Brown...........probably a trait that attracted the Texans to both.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Preparing To Go Pro: Tytus Howard
With the NFL Draft on its way, these college athletes have been doing everything to stand out. In the first episode of the "Preparing To Go Pro" series, Dani Sureck informs us what Alabama State's T Tytus Howard can bring to the table.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
People keep saying this. Do you know it or assume it? Families (or let's be honest agents and that is school independent) from programs big to small hire combine coaches. I have no idea who coached him. Do y'all?
Fans make all types of assumptions when it comes to the NFL draft and players.

It's what most of us mere mortals do.

Akin to proclaiming that one player will be better than the other before a game has even been played.

:coffee:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I remember C&D saying something about how small-school guys don't usually have the benefit of precombine tutelage that many big school guys do.
I believe he said something along those lines ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I remember C&D saying something about how small-school guys don't usually have the benefit of precombine tutelage that many big school guys do.
Howard was represented by First Round Management (the Kawa brothers) which was essentially an MMA fighter sports agent until 2017........in 2018, the represented a total of 9 NFL players going into the Draft (no 1st round picks)

2017 draftee Browns David Njoku TE- somewhat above average pff 66

2017 draftee 49ers Ruben Foster LB pff started off good in 2017 with pff 90...........then after the 2 suspensions in 2018, his performance deteriorated to pff 42.9

2017 draftee Cleveland LB B J BELLO was undrafted in 2017......picked up in 2018...........at best, an ave LB.............pff 60

2017 2nd rnd draftee:
Jalen 'Teez' Tabor literally can't grade out any worse this NFL season (PFF 32)
MICHAEL WAYNE BRATTON | 6 MONTHS AGO

The Kawa brothers have admitted that they have made their share of mistakes in transitioning themselves and their players into the NFL. I have no doubt that Howard did not get the best guidance he could have gotten.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Most of this stuff is over my head. But, I believe money talks. Those guys coaching up Athletes for the draft ain't doing it out of charity.

A guy might get some of that coaching on credit if there is reason to believe he'll be a 1st round pick. Especially a high 1st round pick.

A guy coming out of SWAC, not so much.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Most of this stuff is over my head. But, I believe money talks. Those guys coaching up Athletes for the draft ain't doing it out of charity.

A guy might get some of that coaching on credit if there is reason to believe he'll be a 1st round pick. Especially a high 1st round pick.

A guy coming out of SWAC, not so much.
It will be interesting to see how TH advances with some pro style coaching, tips and conditioning.
I hope he takes to it all and has a rapid transition.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
As ATXtexanfan said:

I was referencing coaching at pro level. Till our goons actually develop guys on the oline I'll be skeptical. I get he has tools. But I swear if I see him bouncing all over the line I'll shake my head.

Long way to go to be DB 2.0.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Can someone point to the jack-of-no-trades approach resulting in a dominant OL?
Yeah OB, then he'll tell you about how he needs to coach better. Then the entire staff needs to coach better. Then he'll tell you about the great group of guys we have in the locker room.

It's called redirection. Teachers use this method in preK and elementary schools.

We the toddlers because we just dont know how hard it is to win in this league.

Couldnt resist lol

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Can someone point to the jack-of-no-trades approach resulting in a dominant OL?
The only OLmen (much less line) I can think of who was a Hall-of-fame Jack of all trades was Bruce Matthews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Matthews_(American_football)#1983–1986:_Guard,_center,_and_tackle

I am pretty sure there are some really good dudes who finished a game out of position or even a handful of weeks, but as a core concept, I think this is very recent 5 to 10 years and done to an extreme in the Texans case.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This Howard "gentleman" can play RT for us. Scharping is our LT.
Maybe at first and only if he can beat out D. Howard is more of a true LT than Scharping. I am concerned about Doc's thoughts on Scharp's injuries making him better left side. I had him slotted RT but may need play LG with Rankin shifting RG moving Fulton or becoming a backup one season. We just might be building an offensive line as we've hoped.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Maybe at first and only if he can beat out D. Howard is more of a true LT than Scharping. I am concerned about Doc's thoughts on Scharp's injuries making him better left side. I had him slotted RT but may need play LG with Rankin shifting RG moving Fulton or becoming a backup one season. We just might be building an offensive line as we've hoped.
You may be confusing his injuries with another player I described.............maybe Mancz. Scharping has been essentially injury free.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Can Howard be as good as Duane Brown? Maybe not, but he doesn't have to be. I'll take him turning into a good, solid, top-drawer type pro for the next decade. The same goes for Scharping. These guys becoming perennial All Pro caliber would be wonderful, but after what our O Line has been lately, I'll take them just getting close.