Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tunsil

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Get him healed quick before the trading deadline. Lots of teams needing good OL. We need picks. What would be your asking price for him?
I'm not against trading him, but you gotta figure out where you stand with Derrick 1st.

Where have you heard Caserio is looking to trade him?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm not against trading him, but you gotta figure out where you stand with Derrick 1st.

Where have you heard Caserio is looking to trade him?
I think from a cap perspective Caserio needs to really think about the players he can move and what their potential return could be in regards to draft picks. This team is in rebuild mode and if Caserio can hammer home the 2022 and 2023 drafts like he did the 2021…..then I’d want to give him all the picks possible to work with. Texans players who should be dealt between now and the 2022 NFL Draft:

Watson
Tunsil
Cooks
Taylor
Johnson
Cunningham
Mercilus
Any of the RB’s (For a few reams of paper which might be needed during the trades of others mentioned)

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think from a cap perspective Caserio needs to really think about the players he can move and what their potential return could be. This team is in rebuild mode and if Caserio can hammer home the 2022 and 2023 drafts like he did the 2021…..then I’d want to give him all the picks possible to work with. Texans players who should be dealt between now and the 2022 NFL Draft:

Watson
Tunsil
Cooks
Taylor
Johnson
Cunningham
Mercilus
Any of the RB’s (For a few reams of paper which might be needed during the trades of others mentioned)
I really am not worried about the cap for the next couple of yrs.

As far as trading these guys goes, I'm on board, depending on what they can get for them

I'm of the belief every rebuild needs veteran leaders.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I really am not worried about the cap for the next couple of yrs.

As far as trading these guys goes, I'm on board, depending on what they can get for them

I'm of the belief every rebuild needs veteran leaders.
Too many Chiefs leave the few Indians on the sideline flirting with the cheerleaders.
Too many Chefs and we don't have enough BBQ for the tailgate.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Any vet on this team with any real money who is not a Jack Esterbunny guy, a small injury, they sitting out. Tunsil ain't coming back this year. The team isn't trying to win, why should he fight through and try to play? Not gonna happen

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
As much as I hated what was involved in acquisition of Tunsil. I'm absolutely against trading him.

I can not be talked into this
By the time this franchise could possibly be ready to contend, his contract will be up, and the enormous costs continue to grow with this guy. And why pay him all this money right now on a team going nowhere? You want to sell me on getting him to protect Watson, OK, I'm good with all the over pay for that. But that's over and this team is not contending for another 2-3 years or more. No reason to be paying this guy $36M the next 2 years. And honestly, he hasn't been all that great. Get something back for him and use that to bring in a good, much cheaper LT. And yes, those are out there. Laremy Tunsil was a 1st round pick once.

OptimisticTexan

By the time this franchise could possibly be ready to contend, his contract will be up, and the enormous costs continue to grow with this guy. And why pay him all this money right now on a team going nowhere? You want to sell me on getting him to protect Watson, OK, I'm good with all the over pay for that. But that's over and this team is not contending for another 2-3 years or more. No reason to be paying this guy $36M the next 2 years. And honestly, he hasn't been all that great. Get something back for him and use that to bring in a good, much cheaper LT. And yes, those are out there. Laremy Tunsil was a 1st round pick once.
LT- Trevor Penning (U Northern Iowa) could be there for the taking. He should be a good one. His RT teammate, Spencer Brown was drafted by the Bills in RD3 and is currently 2nd on their depth chart at…..LT. He’s done that as a rookie. Penning is considered an even better prospect and analyst see him staying at LT as a pro.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
LT- Trevor Penning (U Northern Iowa) could be there for the taking. He should be a good one. His RT teammate, Spencer Brown was drafted by the Bills in RD3 and is currently 2nd on their depth chart at…..LT. He’s done that as a rookie. Penning is considered an even better prospect and analyst see him staying at LT as a pro.
I don't really keep up with who is who, I just know that if the Texans were to get a good haul for Watson AND Tunsil, and whoever else isn't going to be apart of 3 years from now, they'll have the resources to pretty much grab whoever those guys are wherever they're available.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why not have Tunsil protect your QB, Mills. Do you want to see another Carr/Derrick situation. Furthermore why is it OK to protect a 4-12 Derrick but not possibly the future of your franchise? 36 mil is alot of cap space, is Caserio going to need this cap space for FA's over the next 2 yrs? In yr 3 when Tunsil needs to be extended, most of these guys wont be on the roster, so cap space should be available to re-sign Tunsil. Not to mention the fact that since God'ell and the NFL has gotten in bed with the gamblers the cap space should be going way up in the next 2-3 yrs.

vtech9

All Pro
This is pretty much how I feel. Since Tunsil is going to be out 4 to 8 weeks, we now have the opportunity to try out different guys to see if we can find our future starting LT. If we can't, then we can start thinking about extending Tunsil.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
This is pretty much how I feel. Since Tunsil is going to be out 4 to 8 weeks, we now have the opportunity to try out different guys to see if we can find our future starting LT. If we can't, then we can start thinking about extending Tunsil.
Our future left tackle is still in college. I don't think about extending Tunsil at all. IMO, he's not apart of the future of this team. He's already one of the highest paid tackles in the game, how much more would he be looking for? This guy has already cost a **** ton, and right now it's all going for nothing. Get something back for him, draft you a LT, and by the time he matures, you'll have a team ready to take off. Hopefully.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Our future left tackle is still in college. I don't think about extending Tunsil at all. IMO, he's not apart of the future of this team. He's already one of the highest paid tackles in the game, how much more would he be looking for? This guy has already cost a **** ton, and right now it's all going for nothing. Get something back for him, draft you a LT, and by the time he matures, you'll have a team ready to take off. Hopefully.
It's going for keeping your young QB clean

Some people have learned nothing from Carr/Derrick's rookie yrs.

OptimisticTexan

The problem I have with Tunsil…..he’s one of the top paid LT’s in the NFL, yet he’s a one-trick pony. He’s a passive pass blocker and has no ability to be a bulldozer in the run game. He’s okay at protecting Mills blindside but he offers nothing for the run game. Having no run game to keep defenses honest is just as likely to get your QB beat up as having a weak LT in passing situations. Tunsil cost this organization a ton in draft capital and then he and his agent took this organization behind the woodshed and walked out with a contract he never deserved. Tunsil’s talent is worth about 10-15M per season but the team has already assigned him a contract that should’ve been reserved for an elite LT talent.

The Texans could be in an enviable position come the 2022 NFL Draft. Their record could have them inside the top 5 picks. The trading of Watson and Tunsil has the potential to land them an additional 2-3 RD1 picks in 2022 and probably more in 2023. There are LT prospects who are being projected in RD1 for the 2022 draft that possess the complete trait package that teams would covet.

If Mills would benefit by cutting his teeth this season by remaining the starting QB then the same could be said for a RD1 LT…..he would get the same benefits by starting the 2022 season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

How many times has Mills been sacked with Tunsil in the game?

How many times has Mills been sacked without Tunsil in the game?

:kitten:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I believe that no matter who our QB ends up being with the "rebuild," you need a solid LT like Tunsil in order to help keep your choice of QB healthy. I believe losing Tunsil would have untold consequences.
Yes, but it’s already had untold consequences. The gift that keeps on giving, consequences :barman:

badboy

Hall of Fame
The problem I have with Tunsil…..he’s one of the top paid LT’s in the NFL, yet he’s a one-trick pony. He’s a passive pass blocker and has no ability to be a bulldozer in the run game. He’s okay at protecting Mills blindside but he offers nothing for the run game. Having no run game to keep defenses honest is just as likely to get your QB beat up as having a weak LT in passing situations. Tunsil cost this organization a ton in draft capital and then he and his agent took this organization behind the woodshed and walked out with a contract he never deserved. Tunsil’s talent is worth about 10-15M per season but the team has already assigned him a contract that should’ve been reserved for an elite LT talent.

The Texans could be in an enviable position come the 2022 NFL Draft. Their record could have them inside the top 5 picks. The trading of Watson and Tunsil has the potential to land them an additional 2-3 RD1 picks in 2022 and probably more in 2023. There are LT prospects who are being projected in RD1 for the 2022 draft that possess the complete trait package that teams would covet.

If Mills would benefit by cutting his teeth this season by remaining the starting QB then the same could be said for a RD1 LT…..he would get the same benefits by starting the 2022 season.
Tunsil is no longer blocking for a top QB but rather an avg one in Taylor and we don't know what in Mills. Mills has had two good games with little help from Tunsil.

I'm leaning back towards Eagles for DW trade before deadline or offseason. I can see Tunsil, Cooks and DW in package to Philly. Only Eagles original pick will depend on their 2021 record.

Could be two top 6 picks and Eagles late round one in 2022. Texans own now projected 1.4 and that type draft could be amazing [cockamamie like the Dolphins trades in 21..snicker].

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

How much do pro bowl LT's get paid, should be the question.

Top 5 at their position.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you want Mills protected, but you just said you'd be okay with trading Tunsil... So which is it?
If they could get the Miami trade, plus (Because Tunsil is a better player now than when BOB traded for Tunsil) then I would be on board with trading Tunsil.

But we both know that

1. It's highly unlikely Tunsil is traded
2. Getting what I'm wanting for Tunsil will never happen.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is no longer blocking for a top QB but rather an avg one in Taylor and we don't know what in Mills. Mills has had two good games with little help from Tunsil.

I'm leaning back towards Eagles for DW trade before deadline or offseason. I can see Tunsil, Cooks and DW in package to Philly. Only Eagles original pick will depend on their 2021 record.

Could be two top 6 picks and Eagles late round one in 2022. Texans own now projected 1.4 and that type draft could be amazing [cockamamie like the Dolphins trades in 21..snicker].
I can see your ganja is really good stuff.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Tunsil is 27. The way he plays and the fact he hasn't really gotten hurt, he can stay on top of his game for atleast 5 yrs. How much time di you need for a turnaround?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is 27. The way he plays and the fact he hasn't really gotten hurt, he can stay on top of his game for atleast 5 yrs. How much time di you need for a turnaround?
Two weeks ago, I read where he was the 28th ranked left tackle in the league. I don't think it quoted the source, but I'd guess it was PFF. I'm pretty sure, if we were not in complete rebuild mode, he might be a smidge more physical. We would probably be less forgiving of his low and cautious effort level, if we had a Watson, or any of the other 4 or 5 other franchise QB's back there. I would think we are 3 or 4 years from a Superbowl contender. The more of early draft picks we can acquire, the faster we get there.

OptimisticTexan

How much do pro bowl LT's get paid, should be the question.

Top 5 at their position.
Tunsil was the #8 rated LT (May 2021) coming into the season but I’m not sure what his current ranking was before the injury. Also, he’s still a one-trick pony since he’s never been known for his run blocking skills. Top LT’s usually do both parts of their job. I’d still test the market to see what his return may be but I doubt it would be the bloated over the top price OB paid. Why? There’s not an NFL team that would give Houston the same or better deal before the deadline. That would probably be an indication that other teams don’t see him as a complete NFL LT as well.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Tunsil was the #8 rated LT (May 2021) coming into the season but I’m not sure what his current ranking was before the injury. Also, he’s still a one-trick pony since he’s never been known for his run blocking skills. Top LT’s usually do both parts of their job. I’d still test the market to see what his return may be but I doubt it would be the bloated over the top price OB paid. Why? There’s not an NFL team that would give Houston the same or better deal before the deadline. That would probably be an indication that other teams don’t see him as a complete NFL LT as well.

I'd 2 firsts for him in a New York second !

OptimisticTexan

I'd 2 firsts for him in a New York second !
If the Eagles were to show interest….I’d take OG/OC- Landon Dickerson (R), 2022 RD1, and squeeze them for a 2023 RD2 as well. Texans get a plug-n-play OL and a couple of additional picks over the next 2 drafts. It’s not what OB paid but it would be a nice return.

Last edited: