Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tunsil - Thoughts after week 5

Gouldo

From the land down under with vegemite sangas.
So, whats the consensus? I know its early, but are you happy with how its all working out?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Best pass blocker we've had since Duane Brown. Not the masher Duane is in the run game though. His pad level is high and he doesnt get the push you would expect from an All Pro type LT. Im wondering if thats just strength related, but he's been in NFL S&C programs now for a few years. Not sure what to make of it, he's not horrible on run plays, just not nearly as dominant as pass plays. Still a tough pill to swallow considering if this is as good as he gets he will cost you nearly 75-80Ms to lock up, but you gotta pay to play.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I like the trade and the price doesn't bother me. People are over valuing those first and undervaluing what Tunsil would have cost us if we drafted him. He was projected to be a top 3 guy but fell because of the bong video, even still he was taken at 13th. If you stop to think about what it would have cost us to move up to 13, never mind top 3, then his price tag isn't that high either. People are also talking about his contract like he can walk after this year, he can't, we have him for the next two years. Again lets say we drafted a rookie, it would take at least 1-2 years, or longer with Devlin as their coach, before they were actually ready to play at an NFL level and only then will you see if they were a bust or not. With Tunsil you are getting the best two years of his rookie contract and you have someone that has already shown they will not be a bust.

I do wish he was better at the run blocking but Hyde seems to be doing fine, been saying we need a bulldozer of a RB to make BoB run plans work, and I'm far more worried about protecting Watson than I am any RB we've had the last 6 years. Overall two 1st for the guy sounds like a lot but if you look at the going rate on any decent LT in both the draft and F/A his price point is right on the mark.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like the trade and the price doesn't bother me. People are over valuing those first and undervaluing what Tunsil would have cost us if we drafted him. He was projected to be a top 3 guy but fell because of the bong video, even still he was taken at 13th. If you stop to think about what it would have cost us to move up to 13, never mind top 3, then his price tag isn't that high either. People are also talking about his contract like he can walk after this year, he can't, we have him for the next two years. Again lets say we drafted a rookie, it would take at least 1-2 years, or longer with Devlin as their coach, before they were actually ready to play at an NFL level and only then will you see if they were a bust or not. With Tunsil you are getting the best two years of his rookie contract and you have someone that has already shown they will not be a bust.

I do wish he was better at the run blocking but Hyde seems to be doing fine, been saying we need a bulldozer of a RB to make BoB run plans work, and I'm far more worried about protecting Watson than I am any RB we've had the last 6 years. Overall two 1st for the guy sounds like a lot but if you look at the going rate on any decent LT in both the draft and F/A his price point is right on the mark.
Great post

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Best pass blocker we've had since Duane Brown. Not the masher Duane is in the run game though. His pad level is high and he doesnt get the push you would expect from an All Pro type LT. Im wondering if thats just strength related, but he's been in NFL S&C programs now for a few years. Not sure what to make of it, he's not horrible on run plays, just not nearly as dominant as pass plays. Still a tough pill to swallow considering if this is as good as he gets he will cost you nearly 75-80Ms to lock up, but you gotta pay to play.
He's 25 yrs old and has the talent to improve.

I'm not sure Devlin is the guy to help him improve.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
People are also talking about his contract like he can walk after this year, he can't, we have him for the next two years.
Just to clarify, we have him for this season and the next. He'll cost about 10 mil next season, then can walk after. This is probably what you were implying, but I'm sure others read it as he's a FA in 2022.

If we don't extend him, then I'll stand behind Tunsil being too expensive.

With that being said, happy with him as a pass protector. He gets penalized too much for my taste, but willing to give him benefit of the doubt as he's still adjusting to a new team.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Just to clarify, we have him for this season and the next. He'll cost about 10 mil next season, then can walk after. This is probably what you were implying, but I'm sure others read it as he's a FA in 2022.

If we don't extend him, then I'll stand behind Tunsil being too expensive.

With that being said, happy with him as a pass protector. He gets penalized too much for my taste, but willing to give him benefit of the doubt as he's still adjusting to a new team.
Yes that is what I meant.

Also there is always the franchise tag because we've had good luck with that in the past. :kitten:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If you ask me , the jury is still out and will remain so for several years.

1 or 2 years of what he's done so far isn't enough to justify the draft capital they gave up to get him.

Give us 5-7 years of quality play at the position and we'll call it square.

#1 picks are the lifeblood of the roster …. that gives you team control via the rookie scale contract and their second contract with RFA status.

Essentially you are giving up 3 likely starters for their first two contracts. That's a lot.

He has improved each week …. the level of play is getting there but its just as important that he locks that spot down for an extended number of years.

This one will take a while to justify.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
He's getting better as time goes on and still has room for improvement. He does a good job now. He will get a chemistry with his teammates faster if they keep a fixed OL. Still, we paid through the nose to get him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just because we're not starting Mat Kalil, Julien Davenport, or Roderick Johnson at LT... I'm happy.

For me to happy with the trade, we need to be kicking butt in the AFCCG. Right now, I'm not seeing it, but the season is still young.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If you ask me , the jury is still out and will remain so for several years.

1 or 2 years of what he's done so far isn't enough to justify the draft capital they gave up to get him.

Give us 5-7 years of quality play at the position and we'll call it square.

#1 picks are the lifeblood of the roster …. that gives you team control via the rookie scale contract and their second contract with RFA status.

Essentially you are giving up 3 likely starters for their first two contracts. That's a lot.

He has improved each week …. the level of play is getting there but its just as important that he locks that spot down for an extended number of years.

This one will take a while to justify.
Disagree. Rounds 3-5 are the lifeblood of the roster. #1 picks are the heart.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm cool with it so far (agree w/above about need to sign). We got Stills in the deal, too. He's a solid 2a/b, and good insurance for Fuller.

I think Tunsil is going to get better and better. And he'll sign because they'll pay and he knows they wanted him. Plus, #4!

I would never assume that the Texans would've gotten great talent with those picks. Hope yeah, but not expect.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
In my opinion the discussion about two firsts for Tunsil isn't just about the LT himself. It is also about Watson. What is Watson's value to this team and what are we willing to give away to protect him? As has been stated, drafting a LT in the 1st isn't a guarantee that the LT will be a success at the NFL level. And on the chance that he does become a success, how long does it typically take for him to get up to NFL game speed? One year? Two....three? Most importantly, how much would it have cost us to move up in the draft high enough to select someone of Tunsil's caliber?

Let's face it. Watson was getting murdered on the field last year. If he is to be the face of this franchise it would be a crime not to invest heavily into his protection. Two firsts for Tunsil (and Watsons health) seems like a bargain to me. A second for Stills and a 4th doesn't seem all that bad either if thats what it took to get Tunsil in a Texans uniform.

To answer the OP, I think Tunsil is where we can expect him to be with a chance to improve and grow over time (if we have the coaching who can do it. Of that I am not so sure). As a whole, although much improvement can be made, our O-line is showing signs of improvement.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I would never assume that the Texans would've gotten great talent with those picks. Hope yeah, but not expect
If he gives you 7-10 solid years, then fine. They gave up what they did, move on. But they didn't just give up 2 #1s and a 2nd, and yeah I know they got Stills too, blah, blah, but they also gave up 3 years of a cheap rookie contracts. They don't get 4 years or so before they have to deal out big money, they've got to dish that out preferably this next off-season. Can’t have him being tempted by free agency.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If he gives you 7-10 solid years, then fine. They gave up what they did, move on. But they didn't just give up 2 #1s and a 2nd, and yeah I know they got Stills too, blah, blah, but they also gave up 3 years of a cheap rookie contracts. They don't get 4 years or so before they have to deal out big money, they've got to dish that out preferably this next off-season. Can’t have him being tempted by free agency.
That maybe true but in reality how much value are you actually getting for those three years? If you have a guy that can come in and be a day one game changer then those first few years have a lot of value but most players, tackles in particular, can't do that and take at least a year if not two to adjust to the NFL and in the mean time they aren't much better than guys like Davenport. Even in this last draft Dillard isn't helping the eagles much right now. I will grant you they don't need him but that's the point, they can afford to let him sit and learn a year before throwing him out there, on the Texans we would have had to play him day one.

People are trying to look at it in a vacuum without any context. In a vacuum yeah giving up three years of the cheap deal sucks but when you consider that you had to get Watson protection right now or risk him going the Luck route and looking for another franchise QB, much harder and pricey than a LT, those three years weren't worth it. So yeah they have to dish out big money sooner but at least they know he's worth big money, with a drafted rookie you still wouldn't know till about this point anyway.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Really 4 years of cheap rookie deals plus having the right to negotiate early with any rookie that does well.

Like with Watson, the Texans would be able to keep any rookie who is looking great.

If they were smart they would look into doing some extensions early to save money, but they have no GM

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Really 4 years of cheap rookie deals plus having the right to negotiate early with any rookie that does well.

Like with Watson, the Texans would be able to keep any rookie who is looking great.

If they were smart they would look into doing some extensions early to save money, but they have no GM
I really wish we knew more about contract negotiations. They were talking with Mercilus and Reader this off season which was super smart, but did they low ball them or did the guys bet on themself and wanted to have a career year and really get paid? Hard to kick the Texans in the nuts without knowing any facts as it takes two to tango, but they may have miscalculated badly if they lowballed those two specifically. Agree you know your guys best, and going a year early gets you a bit of a discount most times as the guys get a guarentee a year earlier so take a little less off the top

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

You always talk about contract extensions as though it just up to the Texans to decide if they are going to sign a guy or not. News flash, the guy has to agree to the deal as well. Another news flash agents pay attention to the market and tell their client if they should wait about resigning in hopes of a better deal. If I was Tunsil's agent I would have told him "Hell no you don't sign an extension, do you see what the Raiders just paid Brown? That price is only going to go up in two years so you play out the rookie deal then you see who opens their wallet the widest." Same with Mercilus "Man you are making that city forget Clowney's name, you keep balling like that and teams will be knocking down your door so when the Texans come to you with a new contract you call me up and we see if we can't squeeze another 5 mill or so."

That is the reality of business, nobody has to sign anything.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I really wish we knew more about contract negotiations. They were talking with Mercilus and Reader this off season which was super smart, but did they low ball them or did the guys bet on themself and wanted to have a career year and really get paid? Hard to kick the Texans in the nuts without knowing any facts as it takes two to tango, but they may have miscalculated badly if they lowballed those two specifically. Agree you know your guys best, and going a year early gets you a bit of a discount most times as the guys get a guarentee a year earlier so take a little less off the top
Yes, although it's hard to blame the Texans too much. Sometimes these guys just want to hit the market and get paid as much as possible. Not everyone will take the security of an early deal. That's true of every team, they'll lose guys to free agency.

Which just gets back to the importance of being smart with picks and capspace. It's impossible to hit on every pick and keep everyone, so you better have the draft capital and capspace to replace them

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You always talk about contract extensions as though it just up to the Texans to decide if they are going to sign a guy or not. News flash, the guy has to agree to the deal as well. Another news flash agents pay attention to the market and tell their client if they should wait about resigning in hopes of a better deal. If I was Tunsil's agent I would have told him "Hell no you don't sign an extension, do you see what the Raiders just paid Brown? That price is only going to go up in two years so you play out the rookie deal then you see who opens their wallet the widest." Same with Mercilus "Man you are making that city forget Clowney's name, you keep balling like that and teams will be knocking down your door so when the Texans come to you with a new contract you call me up and we see if we can't squeeze another 5 mill or so."

I agree with that, free agents leave all teams. Which is why the team needs a sustainable strategy to replace such guys rather than blowing so much draft capital and capspace in a single trade to solve a single position

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I agree with that, free agents leave all teams. Which is why the team needs a sustainable strategy to replace such guys rather than blowing so much draft capital and capspace in a single trade to solve a single position
Most positions I agree with you 100% but there are a couple that you just have to pony up the draft capital to get and the money to keep. QB and LT are two of the big ones, a shut down CB is another and for the rest it depends on the player. What's both good and bad for the Texans is we also have Hopkins and Watt which are such good players that you have to pony up the cash to keep them even if the actual positions they play aren't always worth it. Also thanks to the Raiders the market for LTs has never been hotter nor the price tag bigger.

markn

All Pro
If in ten years time we look back and ask ourselves if the Tunsil trade was good, in order to say definitively 'yes', the following three things would have needed to happen: he needs to perform well through this contract; he needs to agree to a new contract at a tolerable cost; he needs to perform well through that new contract.

With that said, I'm happy so far...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It sucks we were in the position we were in, but we were. A week before the season they realize plan B didn't work & plan C was a hope & dream.

I'm glad they didn't go with a hope & a dream.

We shouldn't have been in this position to begin with. I get that. We shouldn't allow the yahoo who screwed it up to "fix" it. I get that. We're going to be paying for it the next two years, I get that as well.

But I think we have a solid foundation to build on going forward & I wouldn't have felt that way had they not made the trade.

As far as not signing Tunsil to a long term deal, this wasn't a disgruntled player demanding a trade. This wasn't a deal that had been in the works for weeks. Tunsil was off the table until he wasn't & it was a matter of hours between Tunsil being part of the deal & him being on the plane.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Fair enough. Your points are certainly valid concerns.

However, I think the "3 years of a cheap rookie contracts" is purely subjective based on position. The first three years of a rookie LT is a learning curve. I'd say an experienced LT > rookie contract. If it was a RB, then yeah, the rookie deal is valued higher. Rookie RBs can hit the ground running. LT, not so much.

Nobody knows what to expect from Tunsil or the Texans FO. That said, I'm choosing to be optimistic about it and hope for the best. They'll probably bring Nick Caserio in after the 2020 draft and he'll get the deals done. That's what I'm choosing to believe/hope until something else happens.

Otherwise, it's me just spinning my wheels in a negative way about speculation and assumptions. I'd prefer my entertainment not be so depressing all the time.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

However, I think the "3 years of a cheap rookie contracts" is purely subjective based on position. The first three years of a rookie LT is a learning curve. I'd say an experienced LT > rookie contract. If it was a RB, then yeah, the rookie deal is valued higher. Rookie RBs can hit the ground running. LT, not so much.

Nobody knows what to expect from Tunsil or the Texans FO. That said, I'm choosing to be optimistic about it and hope for the best. They'll probably bring Nick Caserio in after the 2020 draft and he'll get the deals done. That's what I'm choosing to believe/hope until something else happens.

Otherwise, it's me just spinning my wheels in a negative way about speculation and assumptions. I'd prefer my entertainment not be so depressing all the time.
I watch the Astros when I want to be positive

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

You can't speculate that all draft picks are likely to fail or there is no reason to draft at all then. With the way that the current CBA is set up having strong rookie contracts helps out your cap tremendously and is a huge reason why teams like the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and the Chiefs have been able to build up really strong teams under smaller contracts for their QB's. The Texans have the same luxury now, and not only blew the last two off seasons to fix it, but now blew their chances to fill the new holes that this team has and will have moving forward. The Oline may have been worse, but not that much worse to where Watson's career would be lost like the fear mongers want people to believe. O'Brien is still this team's HC, and they don't have a good enough defense this year to compete for a SB any way. Going into next season they'd have either a new HC regime or another full off season to do everything necessary for the Oline while having to resign Watson to the highest paid QB contract. Now they'll have to do that with Tunsil as well which will hurt their ability to build in the other realms of the team. They'll have to rely on improving everything with FA's that generally cost more. And O'Brien is likely the guy managing it all since he already put this team in the hole. I keep hearing people talking about trades for this player or that player, but they're in dream land. We aint trading for any quality players for at least 3 years now. We simply can't.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There is nothing in Texans history that would lead me to compare their front office to the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and Chiefs with regards to drafting talent. Especially now without a functioning GM.

Like I said, at this point in time, I'm okay with the Tunsil deal. It made us a better team in 2019. I'll let tomorrow take care of itself.

And as always, I maintain low expectations for this franchise so I'm rarely disappointed.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
There is nothing in Texans history that would lead me to compare their front office to the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and Chiefs with regards to drafting talent. Especially now without a functioning GM.

Like I said, at this point in time, I'm okay with the Tunsil deal. It made us a better team in 2019. I'll let tomorrow take care of itself.

And as always, I maintain low expectations for this franchise so I'm rarely disappointed.
So should we just abandon every draft pick moving forward then? And since when did the Rams become the standard of all NFL franchises for management? They've been a laughing stock up until just 3 yrs ago. The 49ers just now got their **** together, and the Chiefs got lucky with Mahomes and failed miserably at fixing their defense in this past off season, so I wouldn't even hold any of those teams as some high standard. Hell, the Patriots have been by far the worst team in the league at 1st round picks over the last 5 years. If you want to trade your first round picks, then good great value for them. Don't get ripped off and throw them away.

The Texans weren't ready to compete for a SB this season, and that trade didn't put them in contention for it either especially when hours earlier we traded our biggest trade asset in Clowney and got nothing for it. There isn't a comparable trade in NFL history for what we panicked and gave up for Tunsil.

Vince

Practice Squad
Without adequate OL protection, Watson is a sitting duck and going to be done within 2 or 3 years. Heck when big mean RB only last about 5 or 6 seasons, as nobody is going to withstand that level of punishment.

Tell me again, why are you stocking up draft picks? You have the horses to compete now.... The thing that was lacking was a competent OL.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Without adequate OL protection, Watson is a sitting duck and going to be done within 2 or 3 years. Heck when big mean RB only last about 5 or 6 seasons, as nobody is going to withstand that level of punishment.

Tell me again, why are you stocking up draft picks? You have the horses to compete now.... The thing that was lacking was a competent OL.
Okay Genius, then tell me again why we didn't trade all of our first round picks last season? Were you clamoring for that then?

I mean, shouldn't we have abandoned our 1st round picks the minute we had them to trade if protecting Watson "at all costs" was the most important plan even if it meant to sabotage the rest of the positions on the team?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Okay Genius, then tell me again why we didn't trade all of our first round picks last season? Were you clamoring for that then?

I mean, shouldn't we have abandoned our 1st round picks the minute we had them to trade if protecting Watson "at all costs" was the most important plan even if it meant to sabotage the rest of the positions on the team?
Different people making the deals, hell it could be that is what got Gaine fired is that he didn’t make enough moves to protect Watson.

Vince

Practice Squad
Tunsil was seen as many as the #1 pick when he was drafted. He fell to Miami, aided by marijuana usage prior to the draft. He has character issues that were raised.

He’s a franchise level LT. If he stays healthy, he’s gonna play for another 10-12 years.

But it was a franchise defining type of gamble move. If it doesn’t yield you a good 7 years, or a deep playoff run , it will hinder the the franchise for years to come.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Tunsil was seen as many as the #1 pick when he was drafted. He fell to Miami, aided by marijuana usage prior to the draft. He has character issues that were raised.

He’s a franchise level LT. If he stays healthy, he’s gonna play for another 10-12 years.

But it was a franchise defining type of gamble move. If it doesn’t yield you a good 7 years, or a deep playoff run , it will hinder the the franchise for years to come.
He has character issues? Tell me more

Dejaview

All Pro

Texans would have spent a one trying to find a Tunsil in 2020. So 2021 will hinder the Texans for years to come? What about 2018?

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
It was a bad trade. Especially when we dont develop O lineman under this staff. Doubt Tunsil becomes an all pro. However he is serviceable. If the goons on Kirby ruin him then we now have all we need to know about OB and Devlin.

I said all pro, not pro bowl.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If in ten years time we look back and ask ourselves if the Tunsil trade was good, in order to say definitively 'yes', the following three things would have needed to happen: he needs to perform well through this contract; he needs to agree to a new contract at a tolerable cost; he needs to perform well through that new contract.

With that said, I'm happy so far...

This is my position as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It was a bad trade. Especially when we dont develop O lineman under this staff. Doubt Tunsil becomes an all pro. However he is serviceable. If the goons on Kirby ruin him then we now have all we need to know about OB and Devlin.

I said all pro, not pro bowl.
He's 25 yrs pld and already one of the best pass blocking OT's in the NFL. You dont think he can improve his run blocking?

I think he's done really well since he's only been here 5 weeks. The OL as a whole hasn't been bad since they're playing Tunsil (Who's still getting acclimated) and 2 rookies. They should get even better the more they play together. I still look at Martin as the weakness in the OL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

You have room under the cap to spend big $$$$ on 5 players. Who they spend it on is the key to having a successful franchise in the future.

I'm thinking they will spend the big $$$$ on Watson/Tunsil/Hopkins/Watt. Who's the 5th guy you would spend the $$$$ on, on the current roster or would you look into the FA market to sign a big $$$$ FA to fill a position of need?

Reader would be my 5th guy on the current roster and I love the job Mercilus has done this yr.

BTW, with the new CBA the cap may allow for 6-7 big $$$$ players.