Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Troubling Schaub postgame quotes

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Lack of urgency is what's been associated with our annual slow starts to the season. We get blown out opening day because we didn't come prepared to play and just get manhandled on both sides of the ball. "It's a 16 game season... no reason to panic", well there is when you came one win away from the playoffs. Maybe if we show up for EVERY game we would win enough to make the playoffs?

Anyways, it just bugs me that it seems we are headed for another complacent slow start that results in losses to start the year because we weren't ready to go full blast.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6300

Quarterback Matt Schaub

(on his thoughts on the game) "I know you'll never tell from the scoreboard, but I felt we moved the ball really well. I was glad to get a lot of reps tonight as we were in there for most of the first half. But the Saints did put a lot of pressure on me and I had to release the ball earlier than I thought. And you saw that one sack."

(on his reaction to the loss) "I don't think we have to panic. We still have two more preseason games to go and I feel we will be ready for the beginning of the season. I know a lot of us here in the locker room feel we could have had more intensity, but I'm not worried. We had a great week of practice. Now all we have to do is make sure we are ready once the real game begins."

The LB's keep going down and Cushing is suspended for the game against Manning this is not good.

To tell you the truth, I have no problem with this statement. The only problem with Schaub is that he couldn't get the ball to Andre enough, who had a rare drop on the first 3rd down conversion. Even on the naked bootleg, which always gets the ball downfield, he had to check down to Dreessen. But he did move the ball.

So the problem wasn't at quarterback, it was the defense and the two fumbles that were answered with touchdowns. One source of fumbling will be cut, and the other will learn from his mistakes.

What was truly troubling was the defense.

To tell you the truth, I have no problem with this statement. The only problem with Schaub is that he couldn't get the ball to Andre enough, who had a rare drop on the first 3rd down conversion. Even on the naked bootleg, which always gets the ball downfield, he had to check down to Dreessen. But he did move the ball.

So the problem wasn't at quarterback, it was the defense and the two fumbles that were answered with touchdowns. One source of fumbling will be cut, and the other will learn from his mistakes.

What was truly troubling was the defense.

Our D was so bad that it actually deflects how really bad the O played.

48 total rushing yards??????.............28 of those by Foster on 6 runs (one of the few encouraging performances)

no reason to hit the panic yet, the O looks fine but the D still has to get the qb and stop the run. that fumbled punt shifted momentum. i wouldn't say troubling. the colts are in town game one. they will be ready.

Defense looked like crap but the offense is ok. I don't like how frank bush manage our defense at all and i never liked the hire as there were other candidates available who were much better.

48 total rushing yards??????.............28 of those by Foster on 6 runs (one of the few encouraging performances)

48 rushing yards because the Texans were down by two touchdowns
most of the game. They had to throw A LOT. Our running game will
not steal the show if we're playing from behind all the time (like last year.)

"We suck again!"

wesuckagain.jpg

That's good to know. I thought it was 30. I'll sleep much better tonight.

Defense looked like crap but the offense is ok. I don't like how frank bush manage our defense at all and i never liked the hire as there were other candidates available who were much better.

Bush has built up some goodwill with me, so I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. For this game, I will blame the players, or maybe this.

They were moving the ball well until drops/fumbles killed their drives. Nothing that happened with the 1st team offense really bothered me this week. Some minor preseason hiccups that should be worked out.

Now the defense is a different story. You can fix poor ball handling techniques but there's not a lot you can do to work around getting bullied and stepped on like a snot nosed little kid.

It doesn't matter how the offense looked or how Schaub performed individually. Schaub is our starting QB and one of the leaders of the team. After a TEAM performance like that he should be disgusted with how the TEAM played. His quotes indicated he was okay with how the game went because things went okay on his part.

He should be upset and ready to light a fire under the team's ass after that performance, not being complacent because he's playing well.

I'm thinking that time of posession might have something to do with that?

I want to hear Pollard do the post-game talk, I'm sure none of that would be too sugarcoated :)

im actually very happy with his quotes.

he isnt making a big deal of it.. he isnt depressed..he isnt worried..

He has no monkey on his back... he just wants to get back to practice and get better.

Schaub is our starting QB and one of the leaders of the team. After a TEAM performance like that he should be disgusted with how the TEAM played.

Peyton Manning was VERY vocal when his team showed efforts like this one.
He'd walk over on the sideline and damn-near start a FIGHT with his own
teammates to prove a point. The Texans have a ho-hum attitude with
piss-poor performances both individually and collectively.

If they make a change at head coach, it does NOT guarantee another four
years of mediocrity. Kubiak is going to force the owner to make a switch,
by way of Reliant booing his ass mercilessly. I was proud of the fans
after the Jets game last year. They all stayed in their seats, and showed
this team how they feel about efforts like Saturday night.

This regime is on watch...

:facepalm: i might just have to sign off on these boards & radio stations until the season is over with the way many fans are jumping off ledges b/c of 1 game...1 game that doesn't even count at that ..

:facepalm: i might just have to sign off on these boards & radio stations until the season is over with the way many fans are jumping off ledges b/c of 1 game...1 game that doesn't even count at that ..

No one's jumping off ledges. This team, a supposed playoff team, should
be PAST turning in BS performances like Saturday. We've seen
games like this for THREE YEARS IN A ROW, and have heard the
SAME excuses for it over and over.

If 2010 is to be any different, it must start NOW. I'm just glad fans
are now burning this team up over it, rather than saying "it's just
preseason." They don't have the track record to use such a phrase.

While it's true wins and losses don't matter in preseason, effort
DOES. You bet Drew Brees gave all he had during his fifteen snaps,
and once his coaches saw it, they took his ass out. If the Texans
players are on the field, they have NO excuses for half-assing.

Peyton Manning was VERY vocal when his team showed efforts like this one.
He'd walk over on the sideline and damn-near start a FIGHT with his own
teammates to prove a point. The Texans have a ho-hum attitude with
piss-poor performances both individually and collectively.

If they make a change at head coach, it does NOT guarantee another four
years of mediocrity. Kubiak is going to force the owner to make a switch,
by way of Reliant booing his ass mercilessly. I was proud of the fans
after the Jets game last year. They all stayed in their seats, and showed
this team how they feel about efforts like Saturday night.

This regime is on watch...

I have seen Peyton do this as well... In games that count. I don't recall seeing him get in his defense's face in a meaningless preseason game.

It seems that many people expected the Texans to be the bullies against last season's super bowl champs in their first game at home since the super bowl?

I myself was not bothered by the final outcome of the game against the Cardinals, because our 1's and 2's looked good. This game, however , was a little different in that many on this board were hoping to use this game as a guage by which to measure our team's growth. It may have been a meaningless game in the standings, but it does show areas of concern. If our team was not playing like it mattered, then I'm concerned about their overall team attitude. If they were doing their collective bests, then we are not as far along as we had hoped to be. Excusing the Texans by saying that New Orleans is after all the champs just says that we are happy to be mediocre and it really doesn't bother us that we can't compete against the big boys. It wasn't a close enough game for us to just say,"well it's just pre-season." and act like were were in it all the way. Our 1's and 2's were beaten and made to look like they didn't belong in the same league with the Saints. I'm sorry, I'm not o.k. with that. I'm not about to jump off and tall buildings, nor do I believe the sky is falling, but it should be a big wake-up call to this team.
We are wanting play-offs this year. It has been reported that the team has closed some practices chanting the word"superbowl". Well we've seen what that standard is, and it is high. We are not there yet if we don't get busy. As for it just being pre-season, I remember that last year for this team, pre-season really was an indicater of how we would start the season. I don't want to see that again this year. We should have done better.
Winning and losing should always matter even in pre-season. I'm just saying....By the way, I'm still optimistic about our chances. Thank you all for letting me rant.

I have seen Peyton do this as well... In games that count. I don't recall seeing him get in his defense's face in a meaningless preseason game.

It seems that many people expected the Texans to be the bullies against last season's super bowl champs in their first game at home since the super bowl?

The reason the Texans have a smaller margin for error in the preseason,
with a lot of fans, is because they have NO RECORD of starting a season
better than their preseason efforts. The Colts get the benefit of the doubt,
because they have SHOWN success when the season starts.

The Texans have started THREE CONSECUTIVE SEASONS with a 5-7 record.
Every preseason looks like what happened Saturday. The Texans have
never earned a benefit of the doubt, because they tend to take their
lax attitude in practice and preseason to opening day.

To your quasi-rhetorical question in bold:
We expected the Texans to COMPETE with the Saints.
To SHOW UP. That is where the disappointment lies.

No one's jumping off ledges. This team, a supposed playoff team, should
be PAST turning in BS performances like Saturday. We've seen
games like this for THREE YEARS IN A ROW, and have heard the
SAME excuses for it over and over.

If 2010 is to be any different, it must start NOW. I'm just glad fans
are now burning this team up over it, rather than saying "it's just
preseason." They don't have the track record to use such a phrase.

While it's true wins and losses don't matter in preseason, effort
DOES. You bet Drew Brees gave all he had during his fifteen snaps,
and once his coaches saw it, they took his ass out. If the Texans
players are on the field, they have NO excuses for half-assing.

People are jumping off ledges...Hell, some were doing last week b/c we didn't win that game & b/c we didn't get to see rackers attempt a 50 yd. fg.

Dude, No team is immune from performances like this..no one Yeah, the saints won the superbowl last year & were 13-0 before dallas beat them, but their were multiple games that they should've lost prior to that (washington, miami) b/c the team didn't show up. Hell, even in the playoffs, Minny should've stomped a mudhole in them but, they couldn't get over all their own TO's.

The point is, you're not going to play lights out every weekend, you're just not. So for anyone to be expecting the texans to do that is holding them to an unrealistic standard that really noone in the NFL has been able to sustain.

& I would venture to say that Peyton took Brees out b/c he knows that's he's the most important cog in his system plus he clearly wanted to protect him which is why they ran the ball so much more than they passed while he was in there.

The thing I see is that against Arizona our 1's and the mix of 1's and 2's that followed pretty much played a perfect game. They rolled over the opposition and then sat down for the rest of the night. We didn't get a chance to see them make many mistakes which is good but a little misleading. They looked perfect but who here truly thinks we have the first "perfect" football team in the history of the sport?

They started out hot and didn't have an opportunity to cool off or get overconfident and make a mistake.

This week they did the exact opposite and stumbled out of the blocks from the start. Sure they did play an entire half but for the most part they didn't get to go in at half-time, make adjustments, and try to come back out in the second half and get back in it. That's not how preseason games work. Instead they had to eventually give way to the backups who inherited a crappy situation and just got some work in as best they could. Nobody on our team looked like they wanted to be there.

Hopefully the starters left New Orleans with a bad taste in their mouths and a desire to not repeat this. Lke Mr teX already said in this thread you're not going to play lights-out every week.

Lets see how they play against Dallas. We've seen them good and we've seen them bad. Now lets see them play into the third quarter as they simulate a real game. I doubt we end up looking as good as we did in Arizona or as bad as we did in New Orleans. I don't see any reason right now to get upset with what I've seen.

There is no reason to panic but there is plenty to be concerned about
the team has no fire aNd it starts up top

kubiak is not a good head coach
nevEr has been and prObably never will

The thing I see is that against Arizona our 1's and the mix of 1's and 2's that followed pretty much played a perfect game. They rolled over the opposition and then sat down for the rest of the night. We didn't get a chance to see them make many mistakes which is good but a little misleading. They looked perfect but who here truly thinks we have the first "perfect" football team in the history of the sport?

They started out hot and didn't have an opportunity to cool off or get overconfident and make a mistake.

This week they did the exact opposite and stumbled out of the blocks from the start. Sure they did play an entire half but for the most part they didn't get to go in at half-time, make adjustments, and try to come back out in the second half and get back in it. That's not how preseason games work. Instead they had to eventually give way to the backups who inherited a crappy situation and just got some work in as best they could. Nobody on our team looked like they wanted to be there.

Hopefully the starters left New Orleans with a bad taste in their mouths and a desire to not repeat this. Lke Mr teX already said in this thread you're not going to play lights-out every week.

Lets see how they play against Dallas. We've seen them good and we've seen them bad. Now lets see them play into the third quarter as they simulate a real game. I doubt we end up looking as good as we did in Arizona or as bad as we did in New Orleans. I don't see any reason right now to get upset with what I've seen.

That's the thing though, we've seen them come out guns ablaze against Dallas & look like they're ready to take the next step..then come out flat in the season opener. You're right, we're somewhere in the middle between the Arizona game & the NO game, but i just think that those looking for something in the preseason to signal that "we've arrived" moment are looking too deep into things no matter what our history suggests. On the one hand you've got Indy who hasn't won squat in the preseason damn near since manning's rookie year & we see what they do, & on the other you've got the preseason champs Detroit who wins them all & still suck.

You don't build a consistent winning attitude in the preseason imo, you build it during the season as you get into the consistent practice-gameplan-game regime. right now,(& you'll never hear a head coach say this) the main thing head coaches want to do during the preseason is get guys in rhythm with the way the team will be run -without getting guys too banged up/hurt. Nothing worse than having your season ended before it even starts.

Lack of urgency is what's been associated with our annual slow starts to the season. We get blown out opening day because we didn't come prepared to play and just get manhandled on both sides of the ball. "It's a 16 game season... no reason to panic", well there is when you came one win away from the playoffs. Maybe if we show up for EVERY game we would win enough to make the playoffs?

Anyways, it just bugs me that it seems we are headed for another complacent slow start that results in losses to start the year because we weren't ready to go full blast.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6300

Quarterback Matt Schaub

(on his thoughts on the game) "I know you'll never tell from the scoreboard, but I felt we moved the ball really well. I was glad to get a lot of reps tonight as we were in there for most of the first half. But the Saints did put a lot of pressure on me and I had to release the ball earlier than I thought. And you saw that one sack."

(on his reaction to the loss) "I don't think we have to panic. We still have two more preseason games to go and I feel we will be ready for the beginning of the season. I know a lot of us here in the locker room feel we could have had more intensity, but I'm not worried. We had a great week of practice. Now all we have to do is make sure we are ready once the real game begins."

This is SOS/New year.

The good teams always kick the Texans butts when it counts. Hopefully this yr will be different. So far it doesn't look promising.

I'm not going to make any excuses for why the Texans looked bad. They just did. Before the first snap, it just didn't seem like they were as hype for the game as they were for the one last week. Not sure why that is, but that's just the impression I got.

I'm not going to make any excuses for why the Texans looked bad. They just did. Before the first snap, it just didn't seem like they were as hype for the game as they were for the one last week. Not sure why that is, but that's just the impression I got.

Probably had something to do with the fact that they'd practiced with this team for 2 days prior to the actual game & they were on the road...Kind of the whole "let's hit somebody else" type thing you get when teammates are hitting each other everyday until the 1st preseason game.

Probably had something to do with the fact that they'd practiced with this team for 2 days prior to the actual game & they were on the road...Kind of the whole "let's hit somebody else" type thing you get when teammates are hitting each other everyday until the 1st preseason game.

Excuse number 1.

The Saints didn't seem to suffer a lapse in intensity.

Maybe the Texans just aren't as good as everybody on this MB thinks they are.

That's what scares me. The thought of another medicore yr stinks.

Excuse number 1.

The Saints didn't seem to suffer a lapse in intensity.

Maybe the Texans just aren't as good as everybody on this MB thinks they are.

That's what scares me. The thought of another medicore yr stinks.

It was their home opener, of course they're gonna be amped... & If you're comparing them to the SB champs, then yes they aren't as good as them....noone is until the saints get beat in the playoffs that is.

i might just have to sign off on these boards & radio stations until the season is over with the way many fans are jumping off ledges b/c of 1 game...1 game that doesn't even count at that ..

The game doesn't count. The result doesn't count. The missed tackles count. The lack of effort counts. Those things count because they're indicative of the team's mind set and discipline level. The DL getting manhandled counts, because we have no reason to believe they'll suddenly start manhandling the other team's OL once the games start for real.

Indications count.

This Oline worries me. No one has stood up and said this is my position, even the tackles. It is like we have a line of "well, I'll play until someone else comes along." Free Agent Smith looks so-so and if he is a back up this season he is over paid for what he is doing. Where were our WRs other than David Andersen? The defensive line was worse than the Oline. I expect a huge improvement next week.

OMG! It's the same effing argument about pre-season games... :gun:

I agree with DexmanC on his basis. I'm not jumping off a ledge.....hell...wearing my Texans gear at work as I type right now (and I wish I had the luxury of hearing bad Houston radio over bad Austin radio.....already tired of the Longhorns....jeez). I will say this, last year the "it's just pre-season" camp kept bashing in anyones head who said anything as it was "just pre-season". Remember how Adrian Peterson ran all over us and all the "it's just pre-season" brigade basically told anyone with a different opnion to STFU? Well, that turned out to be a problem all season huh? But hey, let's keep chalking all that up to "it's just pre-season"? What's that definition of insanity?....

Now, I get it that some people act like it's over, it's not and I am not in the "fire everyone now" freak out camp, but I'm damn sure concerned after seeing that last game. I still believe we are going to the playoffs and have talked to much trash to co-workers, friends and family to back off that now anyway, but damn, there is need to be concerned.

No, I didn't expect the Texans to go into N.O. and just beat down the Saints, but I didn't think I'd see them get their lunch money stolen either. It was like their 1st day in prison and they just got thrown in the cell with Bubba.

For goodness sakes, unless I am mistaken, didn't they pull their 1's on offense and we still had our 1's out there on Defense and still got smoked?

We should be expecting to at least HANG with the Saints no matter when we play with the hype around this team. So what is was vanilla defense....they were up against vanilla offense....and still got smashed....fail

Makes me think either;

The Cards are really awful

We just had a typical let down game

or

They melted under pressure.

Again, don't think the season is over, but I am not wearing rose colored glasses either and just chalking it up to "pre-season".

OP: DexmanC
We expected the Texans to COMPETE with the Saints.
To SHOW UP. That is where the disappointment lies.

exactly!

:fans:

Makes me think:

Did we interview Sean Payton for our head coaching job in 2005 or not?

All I know is that we did dummy interviews while picking Frank Bush
all along, when Gregg Williams was a free agent DC who made the
Saint's defense actually contribute to the team with takeaways and
scoring, in the same season we passed on him to give Bush his
first job.

Gary Kubiak: "We're good with the guys we got."

Well, it's time to prove it.

Last edited:
The regime didn't want to pay the money Gregg was going to get
and neither were the saints so Payton pays him extra out of his own pocket
now that is a coach that wants to win
with kubiak it's about kids and competing
screw competing....it's time to win

What? Never heard that before and it seems as though it would be common knowlege if true. Got any facts to back that statement up. Hell, forget facts, ya got a link of any kind?

What? Never heard that before and it seems as though it would be common knowlege if true. Got any facts to back that statement up. Hell, forget facts, ya got a link of any kind?

It is true. Google the story. It was well publicized last season. Sean Payton made that
deal happen. $250,000 out of his own pocket to win. Here is your link.

My apologies to SH to the tune of 250K. Didn't know that.

OK then: McNair's cheap, Kubiak sucks, clean house and raise ticket prices :smooch:

My apologies to SH to the tune of 250K. Didn't know that.

OK then: McNair's cheap, Kubiak sucks, clean house and raise ticket prices :smooch:

It was a good investment for Payton
he got bonuses and has set himself up for huge future paydays

it's called being willing to take a risk..look at the onside kick in the superbowl coming out of halftime. Taking risks is not something we have seen much from our Texans.

And I shouldn't call McNair cheap but he hasn't done enough to bring quality players in via free agency. He does a pretty good job in retaining but we need another veteran voice and leadership in our locker room

It was a good investment for Payton
he got bonuses and has set himself up for huge future paydays

it's called being willing to take a risk..look at the onside kick in the superbowl coming out of halftime. Taking risks is not something we have seen much from our Texans.
And I shouldn't call McNair cheap but he hasn't done enough to bring quality players in via free agency. He does a pretty good job in retaining but we need another veteran voice and leadership in our locker room

I seem to recall a halfback pass last year...Oh I bet you meant risks that actually work.

This again? Bush improved the Texans D far more than Williams did the Saints D. But I guess any opportunity to make a cheap comment.

Back