Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TRJ’s Final Mock Draft

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I leaned heavily on the pre draft visit list. If there was evidence that Texans showed interest in a player I gave them preference if rated closely. The “hardest” pick to make is 13 imo. I just don’t think the Texans will stay put here. I think they will either move up packaging picks if one of their top values falls to the 8-10 range. Or I believe they will be trading down when the WR run starts in this spot.

3: Ikem Ekwonu OL NC State

Culture fit. Fulfills the scheme requirements and gives the Texans a new identity as a smash mouth team. I would put him next to Tunsil at LG, let Howard be RT to get best five on the field. Ikem goes over Neal due to having top 30 visit with Texans and higher ceiling as a guard. Former wrestler as well.

13: Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame

This is the controversial pick. I almost put Jermaine Johnson here. Both targets for a trade up, both have been mocked here recently so I take it as fair game to put Hamilton here in my mock. Hamilton instantly becomes leader of the defense and a cheat code to elevate the players around him.

37: Logan Hall DL Houston

This one gets me excited... He is an improved version of Charles Omenihu with superior first step quickness and stronger anchor against run. Texans used Demarcus Walker as a DE/DT hybrid a bit last year and that’s what I see them doing with Hall. He stands up against the run better than other edge options and will pair well with Maliek Collins on passing downs to collapse the interior. Same size as Julius Peppers who Lovie got the opportunity to coach for 3 seasons.

68: Calvin Austin WR Memphis

Mills needs a weapon that can get open quickly and create big plays. Enter one of the most explosive players in the draft to take over the slot WR role. Pep will have a great time manufacturing ways to get him the ball.

80: Brian Asamoah LB Oklahoma

LB 3 to start the year. LZ’s comp for Asamoah was KGH. Sideline to sideline range, big time hitter and can cover RBs/TEs.

107: Jeremy Ruckert TE Ohio State

The new Y TE in town. There is a cluster of TEs in this range to fulfill the role but Ruckert gets preference for the top 30 visit over Otton, Woods and Kolar here. We know the position will be addressed, its just a matter of when.

108: Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee

6’ 32” arms 4.3 speed. Leader of not only his defense but was vice chair of SEC leadership council. Willing tackler and excelled as a ST gunner. NFL teams love all that stuff and he is a natural fit in Lovie’s secondary.

183: Tyreke Smith DE Ohio State

Will compete with Ogbo Okoronkwo for designated pass rusher when Hall kicks inside. High effort player who gets a lot of pressures but has had issues finishing in his college career. Will likely be a better pro than college player as he gets more time with NFL coaches to figure out how to finish with the sacks.

205: Hassan Haskins RB Michigan

My favorite RB value in the draft. I’ve gushed over him before on here. Has history with the team through Pep and Ben Mcdaniels. Had a virtual visit with the team and is the quintessential smash mouth football player. Wants to crush whatever is in front of him whether he has the ball or he is blocking. Will be an excellent thunder back and ST contributor.

207: Daron Bland CB Fresno State

Long athletic CB 6’ 32” arms 4.4 speed who excelled at Sacramento State then Fresno State as a transfer. Flies in like a missile to tackle with no regard for his safety. Pure zone CB and possible safety convert, does his best work when his eyes are on the QB.

245: D’eriq King QB Miami

Very talented athletic football player who falls here due to being 5’9” and his age. Older player would be more a veteran backup for Mills with all of his playing experience. Has the athleticism to be used in specialty sub packages. Possible WR convert.

Last edited:
I leaned heavily on the pre draft visit list. If there was evidence that Texans showed interest in a player I gave them preference if rated closely. The “hardest” pick to make is 13 imo. I just don’t think the Texans will stay put here. I think they will either move up packaging picks if one of their top values falls to the 8-10 range. Or I believe they will be trading down when the WR run starts in this spot.

3: Ikem Ekwonu OL NC State

Culture fit. Fulfills the scheme requirements and gives the Texans a new identity as a smash mouth team. I would put him next to Tunsil at LG, let Howard be RT to get best five on the field. Ikem goes over Neal due to having top 30 visit with Texans and higher ceiling as a guard. Former wrestler as well.

13: Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame

This is the controversial pick. I almost put Jermaine Johnson here. Both targets for a trade up, both have been mocked here recently so I take it as fair game to put Hamilton here in my mock. Hamilton instantly becomes leader of the defense and a cheat code to elevate the players around him.

37: Logan Hall DL Houston

This one gets me excited... He is an improved version of Charles Omenihu with superior first step quickness and stronger anchor against run. Texans used Demarcus Walker as a DE/DT hybrid a bit last year and that’s what I see them doing with Hall. He stands up against the run better than other edge options and will pair well with Maliek Collins on passing downs to collapse the interior.

68: Calvin Austin WR Memphis

Mills needs a weapon that can get open quickly and create big plays. Enter one of the most explosive players in the draft to take over the slot WR role. Pep will have a great time manufacturing ways to get him the ball.

80: Brian Asamoah LB Oklahoma

LB 3 to start the year. LZ’s comp for Asamoah was KGH. Sideline to sideline range, big time hitter and can cover RBs/TEs.

107: Jeremy Ruckert TE Ohio State

The new Y TE in town. There is a cluster of TEs in this range to fulfill the role but Ruckert gets preference for the top 30 visit over Otton, Woods and Kolar here. We know the position will be addressed, its just a matter of when.

108: Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee

6’ 32” arms 4.3 speed. Leader of not only his defense but was vice chair of SEC leadership council. Willing tackler and excelled as a ST gunner. NFL teams love all that stuff and he is a natural fit in Lovie’s secondary.

183: Tyreke Smith DE Ohio State

Will compete with Ogbo Okoronkwo for designated pass rusher when Hall kicks inside. High effort player who gets a lot of pressures but has had issues finishing in his college career. Will likely be a better pro than college player as he gets more time with NFL coaches to figure out how to finish with the sacks.

205: Hassan Haskins RB Michigan

My favorite RB value in the draft. I’ve gushed over him before on here. Has history with the team through Pep and Ben Mcdaniels. Had a virtual visit with the team and is the quintessential smash mouth football player. Wants to crush whatever is in front of him whether he has the ball or he is blocking. Will be an excellent thunder back and ST contributor.

207: Daron Bland CB Fresno State

Long athletic CB 6’ 32” arms 4.4 speed who excelled at Sacramento State then Fresno State as a transfer. Flies in like a missile to tackle with no regard for his safety. Pure zone CB and possible safety convert, does his best work when his eyes are on the QB.

245: D’eriq King QB Miami

Very talented athletic football player who falls here due to being 5’9” and his age. Older player would be more a veteran backup for Mills with all of his playing experience. Has the athleticism to be used in specialty sub packages. Possible WR convert.
Excellent mock and you hit on 5 of my personal favorites.
People are starting to notice Logan Hall - he could easily slide up into the first. I like him as much as any DLineman in this draft.

Excellent mock and you hit on 5 of my personal favorites.
People are starting to notice Logan Hall - he could easily slide up into the first. I like him as much as any DLineman in this draft.

He is not the same level as future hall of famer Julius Peppers. But he can be used in a similar way in Lovie’s defense. I’m sure Lovie recognizes that and is a reason why he brought him in for a top 30 visit in addition to the local Houston pro day.

Correct, what makes me like him over other DL in that range is he has a role every down. Not a situational pass rusher. 4-3 base DE kick inside on passing downs. He’ll be playing all game with high effort. That’s good value for 37 and much needed on this defense.
He may even be gone before Texans pick at #37.
But...if he is there, he will definitely be cause for pause for Texans FO.

Correct, what makes me like him over other DL in that range is he has a role every down. Not a situational pass rusher. 4-3 base DE kick inside on passing downs. He’ll be playing all game with high effort. That’s good value for 37 and much needed on this defense.

Really good mock.

I could definitely see Hall being used like Clowney was used.

My least favorite pick of the Texans draft was John Metchie before his unfortunate diagnosis. I like the player but felt the Texans gave up too much and could’ve gotten similar talents at 68.

They sent picks 68, 108 and 124. A 3rd and two 4ths to get Metchie. Example of what could have been done with those picks while keeping the rest of the draft as it had played out:

68: Nakobe Dean - Pair with Christian Harris to give Texans a young athletic LB duo that can run sideline to sideline.

108: Zamir White - Pair with Pierce and run the ball 30+ times a game enjoying having two young backs who run angry with fresh legs!

124: Calvin Austin - Dynamic playmaker who could play slot, returner and have designed plays to get the ball in his hands in space.

Lots of options depending on what you want to accomplish with those three picks given up but the main takeaway is they could have had three players that would have competed for significant roles on this team rather than just one player they traded up for (Metchie).

Giving up that much for round two prospect, tells me Caserio isn’t all that he’s cracked up to be. Think he lost his ****, got too eager with pent up desire to splurge on a player he loved and cast away valuable draft capital to get him.

We can’t blame him for the unfortunate injuries, 2 of 4 high picks unable to contribute. But know this, that will hurt Texans winning record in 2022.

Example from Chargers, they would be screwed without their 1st rounder, 17th overall, Zion Johnson. Right side of the OL decimated last season, didn’t address RT in the draft or free agency now hoping former 3rd rd. pick Trey Pipkins starter material? Point is, these picks are very important if not immediately, down the road essential, to fill much needed holes. You need to hit them and stack more shots to draft them because there are very few, sure fire prospects to go around.

fyi - Jalen Pitre favorite pick

Last edited:
Giving up that much for round two prospect, tells me Caserio isn’t all that he’s cracked up to be. Think he lost his ****, got too eager with pent up desire to splurge on a player he loved and cast away valuable draft capital to get him.

We can’t blame him for the unfortunate injuries, 2 of 4 high picks unable to contribute. But know this, that will hurt Texans winning record in 2022.

Example from Chargers, they would be screwed without their 1st rounder, 17th overall, Zion Johnson. Right side of the OL decimated last season, didn’t address RT in the draft or free agency now hoping former 3rd rd. pick Trey Pipkins starter material? Point is, these picks are very important if not immediately, down the road essential, to fill much needed holes. You need to hit them and stack more shots to draft them because there are very few, sure fire prospects to go around.

fyi - Jalen Pitre favorite pick
I totally understand why Caserio traded up to get Metchie given the Texans history of lack of talent at the slot and the talent level of the slot guys in Foxboro. Not what I would have done but I understand his thought process.

Favorite pick- Kenyon Green.

Back