Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training camp 2013

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If they are ready to play, they are ready to play.

A concussion being more likely isn't going to change. He could get another concussion tommorrow or in a week.

As far as posey goes, if he's going to be on the active roster, he needs to take some snaps to start getting back in football shape. If a guy is ready to go it does no good to sit him. If he's not ready to go, then that's on the medical staff. But holding him out if he's healthy and ready is only delaying him getting back to normal.
Then why not play all the starters?

Why would you risk players that are considered starters in a meaningless game, against players looking to wow their coaches with big hits and big plays, if your plan is to have them contribute in the games that count? Is a few snaps worth it? They couldn't get those in San Diego?

Kubiak is on record for stating that the turf in Dallas is one of the reasons Merci won't play. He's in the same boat as Posey as far as missed TC and PS time. Does that mean Kubiak is relying more on Merci than Hopkins or Posey? I can actually see that regarding Posey, but not Hopkins. Besides, concussions are about eleventythreemillion times more likely to happen than a ruptured Achilles. 1 or 2 more concussions and Hopkins will be a "what might have been". Posey might already be that, considering the nature of his injury. That doesn't mean it needs to be proven in the last preseason game.

Just sayin...

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Then why not play all the starters?

Why would you risk players that are considered starters in a meaningless game, against players looking to wow their coaches with big hits and big plays, if your plan is to have them contribute in the games that count? Is a few snaps worth it? They couldn't get those in San Diego?

Kubiak is on record for stating that the turf in Dallas is one of the reasons Merci won't play. He's in the same boat as Posey as far as missed TC and PS time. Does that mean Kubiak is relying more on Merci than Hopkins or Posey? I can actually see that regarding Posey, but not Hopkins. Besides, concussions are about eleventythreemillion times more likely to happen than a ruptured Achilles. 1 or 2 more concussions and Hopkins will be a "what might have been". Posey might already be that, considering the nature of his injury. That doesn't mean it needs to be proven in the last preseason game.

Just sayin...
Hopkins is a rookie and the NFL is faster than college i can see why he wants him to play, but I think he just wants to see Posey in a game so he knows what he has in him to start the season. Thats the only thing i can think of, plus the regular season starts in a week, if Posey isnt ready now, he wont be ready then.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hopkins is a rookie and the NFL is faster than college i can see why he wants him to play, but I think he just wants to see Posey in a game so he knows what he has in him to start the season. Thats the only thing i can think of, plus the regular season starts in a week, if Posey isnt ready now, he wont be ready then.
Neither of those reasons justifies the risk, to me.

The turf in Dallas will be bad for joints and tendons, in Posey's case and will be just as bad for concussion concerns if Hopkins has his head hit it like he did in Houston (which is much better than turf but not sure if that play is when he got the concussion). Again, I'd rather see this happen in a game that counts. There's not much that sucks worse than losing a player, for the season, in a preseason game. Especially the last one that features scrubs trying to make the team or practice squad.

For a coach that always preaches "being smart with injuries", this seems like a dumb move.

Rey

Simply put, the same reason any starter plays in the first three pre season games. Rhythm, in game conditioning.

I want both to be able to do as much as possible week 1, and getting some action this week will help them be that much better.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Simply put, the same reason any starter plays in the first three pre season games. Rhythm, in game conditioning.

I want both to be able to do as much as possible week 1, and getting some action this week will help them be that much better.
Or it could cost them their season and/or career. Still not a good trade off, IMHO. The risk simply doesn't justify the reward.

What would you think if Watt injured his elbow this year, in TC, and Kubiak decided to play him in this game? Or AJ or AF? I'm not real warm and fuzzy on what Posey can produce this year, but Hopkins can be a game changer for us. Just as much as AJ, AF, JJ or Schaub. That's purely conjecture at this point, but it's a valid opinion that many share. Hell, we have better depth at QB than we have a WR. This meaningless game isn't a make or break game for either player. They will be on the team this season if healthy.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If a post-concussion brain is not given time to totally heal, re-concussion is MUCH more likely to happen.........taking the 2-4 times increased risk and throwing it out the window. An extra 10 days for a second concussion can make a very significant difference in the possibility of a repeat concussion. Even if it were a very small increased risk, if he brain is not entirely healed from the first, an early subsequent concussion will leave some element of permanent brain damage.............avoiding that being the whole point behind the Concussion Protocol. Remember, the Protocol is still a MINIMAL set of requirements that have been establish for return to game play........and with previous history of concussion is usually, and should be, adjusted, i.e., lengthened.

Hopkins should NOT be out there this evening.............with 3rd and 4th team players (and players never to play again in the NFL) trying to make their mark. When they are trying to make their mark, they will try to make THAT play that will have them noticed........and THAT play may have them do CRAZY DANGEROUS THINGS THAT LEAD TO INJURIES, to themselves AND others.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Personally, if they've been cleared, I'd like to see them get some snaps. Posey already will, but I'd be ok with D-Hop running a few routes. He doesn't have to be targeted, but just get his feet back under him.

Rey

Personally, if they've been cleared, I'd like to see them get some snaps. Posey already will, but I'd be ok with D-Hop running a few routes. He doesn't have to be targeted, but just get his feet back under him.
That's the same way I feel. I'd like to see him out there for a few plays taking minimal contact.

Not running routes across the middle.

And Posey could use a bit more action. Dude has barely played over a 2 year time period.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The issue seems to be we don't have a better WR2 option today than we did last season. Jean has looked ok if not superb & I'd rather have him than Posey or Hopkins today. Allow those to a bit more time before going on field in regular season. ALthough bad things can happen in practice, risk can be better managed so allow that for at least two additional weeks for both.

eriadoc

Texan-American
The issue seems to be we don't have a better WR2 option today than we did last season. Jean has looked ok if not superb & I'd rather have him than Posey or Hopkins today. Allow those to a bit more time before going on field in regular season. ALthough bad things can happen in practice, risk can be better managed so allow that for at least two additional weeks for both.
Concussion issues aside, hell no. I liked Jean, and I had hoped he would develop into a #2 WR, but he still sucks at catching the ball, which is kind of important for a WR. Hopkins will make rookie mistakes, but even with those mistakes, he's going to far surpass Jean this year, in terms of making plays.

Posey? Meh, we'll see. It'd be nice to have a reliable stable of WRs behind AJ.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I feel like I have a concussion after reading the back and forth about a meaningless preseason game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Im concerned about the long term health of both of these guys. Had the call been mine to make , I'd have PUP'd Posey giving him another ~8 weeks to make sure he's ready.
He can't practice with the team if he's on PUP. If we PUP'd Posey, he's working out on the sideline for the first 6 weeks, then trying to get into game shape for at least another three... possibly more. You saw how long it took before they were comfortable enough to put into the game last season with poorly playing LeStar & Martin.

This kid hasn't played much serious football over the last two years.

He'll take 12 snaps tonight, then he'll probably not be active for the following 4-6 weeks, until he's game ready.

We can have him in game shape by week 6 or sooner by getting him active now. Otherwise he won't see the field until week 8 or later.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He can't practice with the team if he's on PUP. If we PUP'd Posey, he's working out on the sideline for the first 6 weeks, then trying to get into game shape for at least another three... possibly more. You saw how long it took before they were comfortable enough to put into the game last season with poorly playing LeStar & Martin.

This kid hasn't played much serious football over the last two years.

He'll take 12 snaps tonight, then he'll probably not be active for the following 4-6 weeks, until he's game ready.

We can have him in game shape by week 6 or sooner by getting him active now. Otherwise he won't see the field until week 8 or later.
He sure looked game ready tonight .... Still concerned about further injury tho.