Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade Advice, Please

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm in a 14 team PPR league with typical scoring.
My roster is:

QB
Brady
Tannehill

RB
Forte
McKinnon
T. Richardson
A. Smith (ATL)
(IR) Ingram

WR
D. Thomas (DEN)
Crabtree
Hokins
Maclin

TE
Ebron
Ertz

PK
Bryant
*empty

DEF
Colts
Packers

I have a chance to trade Crabtree and Antone Smith for Jimmy Graham, which on the surface seems lopsided in my opponents favor, especially since Jimmy will not start for at least two games. The only thing is, Brandon Oliver is still FA, and it's very likely I can add him, so in essence the trade would net me Graham and Oliver for Crabtree and Smith (who I just added through FA last week).

Our free agency is done through blind bidding. We start with $1,000 and submit our bid price for the player we want. If I make this trade, I would have to bid really high on Oliver in order to get him. Maybe as much as $700 of my remaining $1,000. I can make it the rest of the season with only $300, no problem.

Actually, we have two phases of FA. Blind bidding Wednesday through Saturday, and first come first serve Sat through 10am Sunday, which is how I added Smith without losing any of my FA money.

I still have a problem with what to do with Ingram when he returns, so I could pass on bidding on Oliver and reactivate him. I'm not in love with Ingram, and would rather fill that spot with a young guy with the potential to go off for the rest of the season. Ingram is just kind of meh...

The overall strategy I follow in free agency is to try and find guys who will give me even an extra point or two. If I am able to add 2-3 players who each increase my scoring by 2 points or more, that gives me an edge in a tightly contested league.
To me, if trading for Graham nets me +3 points per game, it's a no brainer.

toronto

Hall of Fame
My roster is:

QB
Brady
Tannehill

RB
Forte
McKinnon
T. Richardson
A. Smith (ATL)
(IR) Ingram

WR
D. Thomas (DEN)
Crabtree
Hokins
Maclin

TE
Ebron
Ertz

PK
Bryant
*empty

DEF
Colts
Packers

I have a chance to trade Crabtree and Antone Smith for Jimmy Graham, which on the surface seems lopsided in my opponents favor, especially since Jimmy will not start for at least two games. The only thing is, Brandon Oliver is still FA, and it's very likely I can add him, so in essence the trade would net me Graham and Oliver for Crabtree and Smith (who I just added through FA last week).

Our free agency is done through blind bidding. We start with $1,000 and submit our bid price for the player we want. If I make this trade, I would have to bid really high on Oliver in order to get him. Maybe as much as $700 of my remaining $1,000. I can make it the rest of the season with only $300, no problem.

Actually, we have two phases of FA. Blind bidding Wednesday through Saturday, and first come first serve Sat through 10am Sunday, which is how I added Smith without losing any of my FA money.

I still have a problem with what to do with Ingram when he returns, so I could pass on bidding on Oliver and reactivate him. I'm not in love with Ingram, and would rather fill that spot with a young guy with the potential to go off for the rest of the season. Ingram is just kind of meh...

The overall strategy I follow in free agency is to try and find guys who will give me even an extra point or two. If I am able to add 2-3 players who each increase my scoring by 2 points or more, that gives me an edge in a tightly contested league.
I'm stunned Oliver is even available.

I see little downside but need to understand your cap situiation a bit more. Graham has been a stud for me in my keeper for the last few years, got him as a rookie and refused to trade him despite tons of offers. Helps I've had a strong team for years and got lucky adding him.

michaelm

vox nihili
I'm stunned Oliver is even available.

I see little downside but need to understand your cap situiation a bit more. Graham has been a stud for me in my keeper for the last few years, got him as a rookie and refused to trade him despite tons of offers. Helps I've had a strong team for years and got lucky adding him.
With the two phase FA system in our league, you might assume it's a keeper or dynasty league, but it's a total redraft (auction) league. We start from scratch every year with no players on our rosters, and $1,000 for our draft, then an additional $1,000 for free agency.
If you run out of FA money, you can still participate in the second phase of first come first serve, which costs none of your FA money (this phase also allows for picking up a player to replace someone who is a last minute inactive).

I too am stunned that Oliver is still available.
In your opinion, how do you rank these three for the remainder of the year?

Oliver
McKinnon
Antone Smith

toronto

Hall of Fame
With the two phase FA system in our league, you might assume it's a keeper or dynasty league, but it's a total redraft (auction) league. We start from scratch every year with no players on our rosters, and $1,000 for our draft, then an additional $1,000 for free agency.
If you run out of FA money, you can still participate in the second phase of first come first serve, which costs none of your FA money (this phase also allows for picking up a player to replace someone who is a last minute inactive).

I too am stunned that Oliver is still available.
In your opinion, how do you rank these three for the remainder of the year?

Oliver
McKinnon
Antone Smith
Oliver
Smith
McKinnen

really it's no contest...

michaelm

vox nihili
Oliver
Smith
McKinnen

really it's no contest...
You think Oliver even with Mathews coming back?

Which of them has a better chance at being the lead back? All of them are in RBBC to a certain extent. Of course that's true of most RB these days...

toronto

Hall of Fame
You think Oliver even with Mathews coming back?

Which of them has a better chance at being the lead back? All of them are in RBBC to a certain extent. Of course that's true of most RB these days...
The way Oliver is playing I'm not sold Mathews gets his job back, and at this point he hasn't even begun rehab, so you gotta think he's out 3 more weeks minimum. Your call of course

michaelm

vox nihili
The way Oliver is playing I'm not sold Mathews gets his job back, and at this point he hasn't even begun rehab, so you gotta think he's out 3 more weeks minimum. Your call of course
I'm going to pull the trigger. The other owner emailed and committed to it. Now I just need to make sure I get Oliver. I still have Ingram coming off IR soon if I lose out on him, though.

Say Watt

Hall of Fame
Dude, that's a trade rape (by you I mean). You are giving up next to nothing considering you have Forte (best RB in the league in a PPR) and have Thomas and Maclin at WR. Your only weak spot is TE, and now you are about to get the league's best.

What is your record? If you are on course to make the playoffs, take the lumps for a couple of weeks until Graham gets back, and then be ready to dominate come playoff time.

No question at all, do this trade before he changes his mind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My roster is:

QB
Brady
Tannehill

RB
Forte
McKinnon
T. Richardson
A. Smith (ATL)
(IR) Ingram

WR
D. Thomas (DEN)
Crabtree
Hokins
Maclin

TE
Ebron
Ertz

PK
Bryant
*empty

DEF
Colts
Packers

Do it before this sucker changes his mind.

michaelm

vox nihili
Dude, that's a trade rape (by you I mean). You are giving up next to nothing considering you have Forte (best RB in the league in a PPR) and have Thomas and Maclin at WR. Your only weak spot is TE, and now you are about to get the league's best.

What is your record? If you are on course to make the playoffs, take the lumps for a couple of weeks until Graham gets back, and then be ready to dominate come playoff time.

No question at all, do this trade before he changes his mind.

Even though my team puts up some points, I've been scored on a lot and Brady has been subpar.
My record is 2-4, and our division leader us 4-2 with all wild card possibilities at 4-2 also.
I have another team with possible interest in dealing Julius Thomas but he'd want maybe three players.
2RB + 1WR
Or
1RB + 2WR

Choosing from all RB except Forte and all WR except Thomas.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I'm trying to acquire Phillip Rivers while giving up Cam Newton (who has driven me nuts all year long). I figure I need to throw in a WR to sweeten the deal, the other owner has Romo as his real starter, since his WRs are trashy. Who would you add?

Mike Evans*
Steve Smith*
Mohamed Sanu*
Reggie Wayne
Andrew Hawkins
Davante Adams

*=my usual starter

I was leaning towards Wayne but he's healthy and has a connection with Luck. Then I was thinking Steve Smith since he's disappeared lately.
PPR with bonuses for 40+ yard TDs.
Thanks for the advise.

playa465

Veteran
I'm trying to acquire Phillip Rivers while giving up Cam Newton (who has driven me nuts all year long). I figure I need to throw in a WR to sweeten the deal, the other owner has Romo as his real starter, since his WRs are trashy. Who would you add?

Mike Evans*
Steve Smith*
Mohamed Sanu*
Reggie Wayne
Andrew Hawkins
Davante Adams

*=my usual starter

I was leaning towards Wayne but he's healthy and has a connection with Luck. Then I was thinking Steve Smith since he's disappeared lately.
Thanks for the advise.
Your top 5 listed is either #1 or #2 on their respective squads. Since it's a PPR I'd toss Adams in, I rolled with Adams last week and he did nada since the Packers went with a lot of 2 TE sets. Nothing against Adams but the more targets the more opportunities.

I agree, I'd let Adams go from that list. Too many mouths to feed in GB, had 1 target in that blood bath against Chicago. Hawkins should have a good game this week as well.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I'm trying to acquire Phillip Rivers while giving up Cam Newton... I figure I need to throw in a WR to sweeten the deal...
I wouldn't part with Evans, Sanu, Wayne... in that order. Smith next, then Hawkins/Adams ~same.

htowntexans1985

1st Round Pick

Mike Evans*
Steve Smith*
Mohamed Sanu*
Reggie Wayne
Andrew Hawkins
Davante Adams

*=my usual starter

Thanks for the advise.
Id let go of smith if it meant getting rivers in return. I highly doubt anyone would let him go for cam/adams or cam/Hawkins