Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top 3 Picks

Compliments of steel B’s suggestion.

If I could draft my ideal players with our first 3 picks it would be:

Jeff Gladney CB - TCU Played multiple coverages in college. High football IQ and has ball skills.

Zach Moss RB - Utah Complete back and is physical. Viable option to add to our backfield. Also does a decent job in pass protection

Alex Highsmith Edge - Charlotte Explosive with a good motor. Could develop more under tutelage of Watt and Merc

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Jeff Gladney CB - TCU Played multiple coverages in college. High football IQ and has ball skills.

Zach Moss RB - Utah Complete back and is physical. Viable option to add to our backfield. Also does a decent job in pass protection

Alex Highsmith Edge - Charlotte Explosive with a good motor. Could develop more under tutelage of Watt and Merc
Love the Gladney pick, but I dont think he will be there at 52. Maybe he will be since he didn't run as fast as I thought he would.

Love Highsmith in the 4th.

In the 3rd Moss has too much of an injury history for my liking in the 3rd. He's a 2nd rd talent with a 5th rd injury history. Give me a healthy Akers or Dillon, as far as RB's go, what do you think of D.J. Dallas as a late rd pick.

Love the Gladney pick, but I dont think he will be there at 52. Maybe he will be since he didn't run as fast as I thought he would.

Love Highsmith in the 4th.

In the 3rd Moss has too much of an injury history for my liking in the 3rd. He's a 2nd rd talent with a 5th rd injury history. Give me a healthy Akers or Dillon, as far as RB's go, what do you think of D.J. Dallas as a late rd pick.
I'd be happy with Akers or Dillon. Although I don't know if I would grab Dillon with my 3rd. If Hunt (OL) is there in the 3rd, I might take him if Akers isn't there.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The next two years, for me and my thought process, the priority list is based on stopping Lamar Jackson and Mahomes. The front 7 is too slow (minus Cunningham) to track those guys or cover speedy TE’s.

I have spent 0 time looking at draft prospects but I’m going to start soon. Other than discussing the prospects here it’ll be a complete waste of time because I have no idea how BoB is going to approach building the team. But thanks to a virus I have a little more free time than usual.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'd definitely take RB, AJ Dillon with the RD2 pick simply b/c he wouldn't last until their RD3-90 pick. If I could trade back to maybe 58th to 64th pick, still get Dillon and another pick or two later I'd be for that move.

I was on Zach Moss but after watching more videos and reading more information on Dillon the easier it became for me to move from Moss to Dillon as my RB of choice.

Contrary to previous post, I feel like I could get offensive talent later and fill some need areas on defense early.

I'd roll with OLB, Alton Robinson of Syracuse (6-3 @ 264 lbs) in RD3-90. I see him as a Clowney who isn't a RD1-001 pick. Nice fit as OLB opposite Mercilus.

I'd go with DE/OLB, Joe Gaziano of Northwestern (6-4 @ 275 lbs) in RD4-111. A true edge setter with the size to get the job done.

I'm going to up this to the first 4 picks since the Texans are sitting on a second RD4.

I'd take a chance with CB, Parnell Motley of Oklahoma (6-1 @ 184 lbs / 4.5-40) in RD4-131. Sleeper CB who could move his stock up with solid Pro Day.....which he had but that’s why I’m picking him here 131. Evidently he has solid cover skills and for whatever reason was left out of the Combine.

Last edited:

Childress79

Waterboy
A lot has changed since the inception of this thread, my contribution:
2.40 Denzel Mims: eventual Nuk replacement. I think that Mims has the potential to be a star receiver in the mold of Randy Moss
2.57 Trevon Diggs or Jaylon Johnson: Sets up an improved secondary with Roby, Conley, an improving Lonnie Johnson and depth piece Phillip Gaines
3.90 Darrell Taylor: I am hoping that Taylor slips to the Texans at 90. Between his injury keeping him out of the senior bowl and combine and the coronavirus keeping prospects and teams apart, many teams will have an incomplete grade on this potential Edge steal. However, his position coach at Tennessee is now on the Texans staff. I think Taylor at worst is a situational rusher. At best he is the heir to Mercilus at the Jack position.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A lot has changed since the inception of this thread, my contribution:
2.40 Denzel Mims: eventual Nuk replacement. I think that Mims has the potential to be a star receiver in the mold of Randy Moss
2.57 Trevon Diggs or Jaylon Johnson: Sets up an improved secondary with Roby, Conley, an improving Lonnie Johnson and depth piece Phillip Gaines
3.90 Darrell Taylor: I am hoping that Taylor slips to the Texans at 90. Between his injury keeping him out of the senior bowl and combine and the coronavirus keeping prospects and teams apart, many teams will have an incomplete grade on this potential Edge steal. However, his position coach at Tennessee is now on the Texans staff. I think Taylor at worst is a situational rusher. At best he is the heir to Mercilus at the Jack position.
I would be happy with this.

I also would be happy if they used the 1st three picks on the defense and drafted Van Jefferson in the 4th.

If Mims (Doubtful) is there at 40 he would be my pick.

A ton has changed since the original post, and I’m honestly still furious at the loss of Nuk.
Here’s two different top 3 options that might relieve some irritation:

Tee Higgins
Justin Madubuike
Amik Robertson

Jaelon Reagor
Marlon Davidson
Darell Taylor

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I also would be happy if they used the 1st three picks on the defense...
That's what I see happening. I think O'Brien will draft a RB and WR on day 3. But, the 50 burger in the playoffs is in the forefront of his mind. This is O'Brien's 1st solo draft, and this is what I think some of the criteria for the top picks he will have.

1) No Juniors allowed - O'Brien doesn't care for rookies, in general. He didn't even want to play Watson until Savage's ineptitude forced his hand. Look for Seniors only on day 2.

2) Power 5 - Small and mid major schools were Gaine's deal. O'Brien will want his rookies as vet and battle tested as possible. SEC, Big 10, etc. will shoot to the top of the Texans draft board.

3) Traits - O'Brien will be looking for guys that look and test the part. Feisty, undersized prospects are for day 3. Day 2 is for guys that are impressive coming off the bus.

Pick # 40 - Trevon Diggs - CB - Alabama

Trader Bill was set to ship this pick off to Detroit for Darius Clay. So if a Darius Clay type is there, good size and speed, that's the pick.

Pick # 57 - Julian Okwara - Edge - Notre Dame

The Texans have done zilch this offseason in regards to bolstering the pass rush. O'Brien has pretty much telegraphed this pick.

Pick #90 - Davon Hamilton - NT - Ohio State

Don't underestimate the FA loss of DJ Reader. Another big body that can move is a must to slow the running game. The Texans top rivals in the AFC South (Titans and Colts) were 3rd and 7th in rushing offense, respectively.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's what I see happening. I think O'Brien will draft a RB and WR on day 3. But, the 50 burger in the playoffs is in the forefront of his mind. This is O'Brien's 1st solo draft, and this is what I think some of the criteria for the top picks he will have.

1) No Juniors allowed - O'Brien doesn't care for rookies, in general. He didn't even want to play Watson until Savage's ineptitude forced his hand. Look for Seniors only on day 2.

2) Power 5 - Small and mid major schools were Gaine's deal. O'Brien will want his rookies as vet and battle tested as possible. SEC, Big 10, etc. will shoot to the top of the Texans draft board.

3) Traits - O'Brien will be looking for guys that look and test the part. Feisty, undersized prospects are for day 3. Day 2 is for guys that are impressive coming off the bus.

Pick # 40 - Trevon Diggs - CB - Alabama

Trader Bill was set to ship this pick off to Detroit for Darius Clay. So if a Darius Clay type is there, good size and speed, that's the pick.

Pick # 57 - Julian Okwara - Edge - Notre Dame

The Texans have done zilch this offseason in regards to bolstering the pass rush. O'Brien has pretty much telegraphed this pick.

Pick #90 - Davon Hamilton - NT - Ohio State

Don't underestimate the FA loss of DJ Reader. Another big body that can move is a must to slow the running game. The Texans top rivals in the AFC South (Titans and Colts) were 3rd and 7th in rushing offense respectively.
I would be very happy with this draft. I would like it more if James Lynch was the pick instead of Okwara.

I still think if Mims is there at 40 he's the pick.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Amateur here.

No film study, just reading scouting reports.

Pick players I like for areas I think need help. Players that may be available.

#40 WR Justin Jefferson or WR Chase Claypool.

#57 CB Jaylon Johnson or CB Troy Pride

#90 Edge Trevis Gipson or OL John Simpson

Irish fan :)

Tear it apart. :)

:coffee:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
My Top 3 Picks

RD2-040: Cesar Ruiz / OG-C / Michigan
RD2-057: Jordan Elliott / DT / Missouri
RD3-090: AJ Dillon / RB / Boston College

RD4-111: Alton Robinson / EDGE / Syracuse
RD5-172: Joe Gaziano / DE / Northwestern

O'Brien has just about signed his entire defensive backfield from last season. Does it make sense to draft a DB this high versus building the defensive front 7 so they can improve QB pressures? I'd go with the trenches.

Wolf12339

Waterboy
Texans are for sure going WR with one of their top 2 picks. My two favorite picks for the Texans are James Lynch and Bravion Roy. I've seen every game they have ever played and If you can get Roy in the 4th-6th round and Lynch in the 2nd-3rd round your going to get great value.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans are for sure going WR with one of their top 2 picks. My two favorite picks for the Texans are James Lynch and Bravion Roy. I've seen every game they have ever played and If you can get Roy in the 4th-6th round and Lynch in the 2nd-3rd round your going to get great value.
Wouldn't it be great for the Texans to draft Mims/Lynch/Roy?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
After further review:

My Top Picks

RD2-040: A J Epenesa / DL / Iowa
RD2-057: Chase Claypool / WR / Irish
RD3-090: Cameron Dantzler / CB / Miss. St.
RD4-111: Tyler Biadasz / C / Wisconson
RD5-172: Darrell Taylor / LB / Tenn. (Edge)

Plan B
Brandon Aiyuk / WR /Arizona St. @ 057
Malcom Perry / WR / Navy Our Swiss army knife, late round
Jordan Elliott / DL / Missouri
Travis Gipson / DL / Tulsa

Nobody can pick just three :)

Last edited:
After further review:

My Top Picks

RD2-040: A J Epenesa / DL / Iowa
RD2-057: Chase Claypool / WR / Irish
RD3-090: Cameron Dantzler / CB / Miss. St.
RD4-111: Tyler Biadasz / C / Wisconson
RD5-172: Darrell Taylor / LB / Tenn.

Plan B
Brandon Aiyuk / WR /Arizona St. @ 057
Malcom Perry / WR / Navy Our Swiss army knife, late round
Jordan Elliott / DL / Missouri
Travis Gipson / DL / Tulsa

Nobody can pick just three :)

Do you think Epenesa will drop that far?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Do you think Epenesa will drop that far?
Young
D Brown
J Kinlaw
R Blackwell
K'Lavon Chaisson

Are all rated higher, and it wili take a bit of luck to get him.

Schrager mock has him to Seahawks @ 27

More probable that your guys will be there.
Justin Madubuike
Marlon Davidson
We are desperate for help getting to the passer. DB's need help too. (Says Capt. Obvious.)

So OB will probably draft Kmet if he is there. :)

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
New top 4

1. Terrell Lewis
2. Reggie Robinson II
3. Willie Gay Jr
4. Lynn Bowden Jr

Adds much needed speed to the team, also helps with ST's.

Number19

Hall of Fame
My top 3 picks

Gladney
Hamilton
Gay Jr.

Adds Speed and beef to defense.
Just started looking more in depth at the players I'd like with our first four selections. Pick 40 is set, we traded Hopkins, we take his replacement with the 40 pick.

Danzel Mims tops my list, with Jalen Reagor a close second choice.

Looking at our depth chart, and although we definitely need help and upgrading, we do have some, not much, but some, depth in the defensive backfield. So my choice is to upgrade our pass rush with pick 58.

Looking at OLB's which will likely be available, I don't see anyone I like with that pick. But for the 3 and the 5 technique, there are two I like.

Topping my list is DE James Lynch of Baylor and Big 12 competition. His primary position was the 5 technique, but had snaps at the 3. he has 5.01 speed and 23 reps.

My second choice for pick 58 would be Justin Madubuike of Texas A&M and SEC competition. His position was the 3 technique. I'd move him out to the 5. At 295 lbs he has 4.83 speed. But not just speed, he had 31 reps. Playing the 3 against SEC talent he had 11 sacks his final two years. Top prospect Derrick Brown of Auburn only had 8 1/2. Second highest prospect Javon Kinlaw of South Carolina had 10 1/2.

Physically, Madubuike and Lynch are close. If Madubuike has the AA to play the 5, he just might be my first choice over Lynch.

Our next choice is way down at 97c. The CB position is deep. My big board has Troy Pride of Notre Dame slotted right about here. At 5'-11" and 190 lbs, he has 4.40 speed.

I also looked at CB Reggie Robinson of Tulsa, a bit larger at 6'-1" and 205 lbs, but a bit slower at 4.44. He's also slotted a bit lower, but may not be there at 171. He is my alternate choice for 97c and I'd consider him for 111.

Finally, to round out our first 4 selections at pick 111, I have to consider OLB. The player I like is a tweener, Julian Okware of Notre Dame. I just don't see him falling this far, but with his broken leg, if he drops, I take him at this spot. His achilles heel is that he lacks power and the ability to anchor against the run. He's strictly an edge rusher at DE.

So, for pick 111 I've slotted OLB Casey Toohill of Stanford. Has fine speed at 4.62, has experience in pass coverage and functional strength as a run defender.

So, here you have it. I'm wanting to go defense, except for #40. And I'm looking at upgrading our speed to go with AA.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just started looking more in depth at the players I'd like with our first four selections. Pick 40 is set, we traded Hopkins, we take his replacement with the 40 pick.

Looking at our depth chart, and although we definitely need help and upgrading, we do have some, not much, but some, depth in the defensive backfield. So my choice is to upgrade our pass rush with pick 58.

Looking at OLB's which will likely be available, I don't see anyone I like with that pick. But for the 3 and the 5 technique, there are two I like.

Topping my list is DE James Lynch of Baylor and Big 12 competition. His primary position was the 5 technique, but had snaps at the 3. he has 5.01 speed and 23 reps.

My second choice for pick 58 would be Justin Madubuike of Texas A&M and SEC competition. His position was the 3 technique. I'd move him out to the 5. At 295 lbs he has 4.83 speed. But not just speed, he had 31 reps. Playing the 3 against SEC talent he had 11 sacks his final two years. Top prospect Derrick Brown of Auburn only had 8 1/2. Second highest prospect Javon Kinlaw of South Carolina had 10 1/2.

Physically, Madubuike and Lynch are close. If Madubuike has the AA to play the 5, he just might be my first choice over Lynch.

Our next choice is way down at 97c. The CB position is deep. My big board has Troy Pride of Notre Dame slotted right about here. At 5'-11" and 190 lbs, he has 4.40 speed.

I also looked at CB Reggie Robinson of Tulsa, a bit larger at 6'-1" and 205 lbs, but a bit slower at 4.44. He's also slotted a bit lower, but may not be there at 171. I might consider him for pick 111.

Finally, to round out our first 4 selections at pick 111, I have to consider OLB. The player I like is a tweener, Julian Okware of Notre Dame. I just don't see him falling this far, but with his broken leg, if he drops, I take him at this spot. His achilles heel is that he lacks power and the ability to anchor against the run. He's strictly an edge rusher at DE.

So, for pick 111 I've slotted OLB Casey Toohill of Stanford. Has fine speed at 4.62, has experience in pass coverage and functional strength as a run defender.

So, here you have it. I'm wanting to go defense, except for #40. And I'm looking at upgrading our speed to go with AA.
If the first 4 picks were Justin M/Lynch/Pride/Reggie, I would consider this draft to be a success. It adds beef and speed to the defense.

I know this draft is unlikely to happen.

I still go back to the Holovak draft where he fixed the secondary for yrs to come. Eason/McDowell/Dishman/ Robertson all in one draft.

Number19

Hall of Fame
If the first 4 picks were Justin M/Lynch/Pride/Reggie, I would consider this draft to be a success. It adds beef and speed to the defense.

I know this draft is unlikely to happen.

I still go back to the Holovak draft where he fixed the secondary for yrs to come. Eason/McDowell/Dishman/ Robertson all in one draft.
As much as no one wants to think about it, I think it's time to start considering Watt's retirement and replacement. Right now, Charles Omenjhu has the jump on RDE. Last year showed a decline in our defense when Watt is not playing. I don't disagree we need upgrading in defensive backfield, but I think DE is more of a concern and higher priority. Either Lynch or Madubuike should beat out Omenjhu, we would then have the option of Omenjhu moving to the left side, backing up Watt; or moving the draft pick to the left if Watt goes down.

Do you know which side Lynch played? Which is his natural position?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As much as no one wants to think about it, I think it's time to start considering Watt's retirement and replacement. Right now, Charles Omenjhu has the jump on RDE. Last year showed a decline in our defense when Watt is not playing. I don't disagree we need upgrading in defensive backfield, but I think DE is more of a concern and higher priority. Either Lynch or Madubuike should beat out Omenjhu, we would then have the option of Omenjhu moving to the left side, backing up Watt; or moving the draft pick to the left if Watt goes down.

Do you know which side Lynch played? Which is his natural position?
In the Oklahoma highlights I watched he played mainly RDE. However from what I've read he can play anywhere along the DL. Plays very hard and gets better as the game goes along. Great stamina.

Number19

Hall of Fame
In the Oklahoma highlights I watched he played mainly RDE. However from what I've read he can play anywhere along the DL. Plays very hard and gets better as the game goes along. Great stamina.
Duh, hightlights. I should of thought of that.
It's just not something I do or get into, to that extent. Never entered my mind this afternoon. Maybe I would have eventually got around to this. Your response saved me a lot of time. Thanks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Duh, hightlights. I should of thought of that.
It's just not something I do or get into, to that extent. Never entered my mind this afternoon. Maybe I would have eventually got around to this. Your response saved me a lot of time. Thanks.
I checkout highlights of guys I think can help the Texans.

Number19

Hall of Fame

I also looked at CB Reggie Robinson of Tulsa, a bit larger at 6'-1" and 205 lbs, but a bit slower at 4.44. He's also slotted a bit lower, but may not be there at 171. He is my alternate choice for 97c and I'd consider him for 111.

The acquisition of Bradin Cooks has eliminated the need to draft a WR with our 40 pick. IMO, the highest priority is now to address our need to improve our pass rush. But I think we also need to address the likelyhood of Watt's retirement in the near future.

I've taken another look at OLB and DE, and I really don't see anyone I like at 40. If we want just a situational edge rusher we have some options, the one I like is Notre Dame DE Julian Okware.

But I think what I'd like to see is a trade down to obtain an additional third or possibly a low two.

I'd then stay with my original board and go with either Lynch or Madubuike as a 5 technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
The acquisition of Bradin Cooks has eliminated the need to draft a WR with our 40 pick. IMO, the highest priority is now to address our need to improve our pass rush. But I think we also need to address the likelyhood of Watt's retirement in the near future.

I've taken another look at OLB and DE, and I really don't see anyone I like at 40. If we want just a situational edge rusher we have some options, the one I like is Notre Dame DE Julian Okware.

But I think what I'd like to see is a trade down to obtain an additional third or possibly a low two.

I'd then stay with my original board and go with either Lynch or Madubuike as a 5 technique.
I like the thought of trading down to get more picks. I also really like Madubuike, and think he’d be a great addition to the front 7.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Question for everybody - Zach Baun tested positive for diluted pee test and will now fall down the board.
Do we take a risk on him and take him at #111 or 131?
I would. Think Brian Cushing.
Hell, I'd even consider him at#90 - a chance to have a first rounder in a draft where you have no 1st round pick is attractive.
Nobody will remember his pee test in 3 years.

Last edited:

Wolf12339

Waterboy
Question for everybody - Zach Baun tested positive for diluted pee test and will now fall down the board.
Hell, I'd even consider him at#90 - a chance to have a first rounder in a draft where you have no 1st round pick is attractive.
At worst, he will go early to mid 2nd round still.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If he falls to 40 you take him

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Better tell that to mr “good teammate“ GM.
You can have 2/3 badboys on a team. Particularly with the new CBA pot rules.

However they need to be playing on cheap short term contracts with all of the $$$$ up front so the cap doesn't get screwed up if they fall off of the wagon.

mussop

Hall of Fame
You can have 2/3 badboys on a team. Particularly with the new CBA pot rules.

However they need to be playing on cheap short term contracts with all of the $$$$ up front so the cap doesn't get screwed up if they fall off of the wagon.
I have no problem with That. Again, you better tell mr good teammate That.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The first 3 Texans picks that would make me happiest, but I in no way think it will go this way:

CB - Jaylon Johnson (would also be very happy with Jeff Gladney or AJ Terrell)
DT - Jordan Elliot
OLB - Darrell Taylor

Next 4 picks:
OT - Hakeem Adeniji
WR - James Proche
RB - JaMycal Hasty
S - Rodney Clemons

With this draft I concerned myself with balance across the board. Because the Texans have an array of needs. I don't think I reached, although Zierline has Rodney Clemons as a PFA but he's from Katy, he was a team captain at SMU and he is versatile, something O'Brien loves. Like Clemons, Hasty can fill several roles as a special teams player to start and potentially a 3rd down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield, another trait O'Brien desires.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Made some final tweaks for our first four picks. Mainly, I was selecting CB Javelin Guidry at #111. I think mocks have him going lower and will likely be available at #171. This move allows me to select DE McTelvin Agim at #111.

So, at #40 I'm still.going with an Edge Rusher. Both Terrell Lewis and Julian Okwara will drop to the second day. And possibly Zach Baun.

If all three are there, I do my best to move down, but not for additional picks. I'd rather swap 3rd round picks and move up from 90.

But whether we move down or stay at 40, my first choice is JULIAN OKWARA.

My second pick at #90 is CB TROY PRIDE. I'm a little uneasy he may not be there, which is why I'd like to move up.

DE McTELVIN AGIM is my pick at #111.

CB JAVELIN GUIDRY is my selection at #171.

All of these selections should be capable of securing backup roles and upgrading those currently in these roles.

We also need a SAFETY to pair with Reid. It's likely that rather than two CB's as I'd like, we go in this direction with one of these picks.