Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TJ Yates

When was the last time Schaub had stats that looked like this?

10 for 20, for 130, 6.5 yards per completion, 2 picks, and a QB rating of 31.3

Yes, that's 31.3.

Those are VY's stats as of this moment in his game against that juggernaut 4-7 Seahawk team.

EDIT:

Final stats--

17 for 29, for 208 yards, 7.2 per completion, 1 touchdown, 4 picks (including a pick 6) , 52.7 rating

Yeah, that blew up in my face!. I'll gladly take my licks for that one. I obviously got carried away, lol. He played horribly yesterday. I still think he would fit well here, but after yesterday I have to concede to those who think otherwise.

This will be the most nervous/excited I've been in a long time. I hope my initial gut feeling about the kid is right. If it is than we are about to witness something very special.

This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning(if he comes back healthy obviously)

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.
...and I don't care to rank the rest.

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

How did those 4 picks work out last night??? Pathetic.

Having a different opinion is trolling now?

Of course not. Don't be obtuse.

Qualifying any opposition to your opinions with stupid statements below is what makes you a troll:

Texcore said:
To say Schaub is better than the QBs mentioned above, is just being a Matt Schaub fan boy and/or nut hugger.

Then by your standards you are a troll yourself and contradiction.

Get a clue, dude. I don't care if you're here to make friends or not, but you can be sure that continuous name-calling will get you banned.

The Oilers are a part of my childhood. The Texans are a part of my adulthood. Houston NFL football is a part of me and I will not let go of past memories or future memories the Texans will give me.

The Oilers are part of many of our memories. It's common ground for many of us. Nobody advocates forgetting the past, and you're welcome to live in the past if that's your thing, too.

I can hold on to those memories unlike you being able to hold on to a woman.

This statement says more about you than it does me.

You're going to have to do better than that to get under my skin, "buddy".

Yeah, that blew up in my face!. I'll gladly take my licks for that one. I obviously got carried away, lol. He played horribly yesterday. I still think he would fit well here, but after yesterday I have to concede to those who think otherwise.

Solid job of owning that.

I'm a Longhorn fan. I was one of the crazed VY fans who desperately wanted the Texans to take Vince over Reggie Bush or Mario.

After nearly six full seasons, it's clear the Texans made the right call and I'm very grateful they didn't listen to me.

Vince was an amazing college quarterback. One could argue he was the best ever.

But, after last night, I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a backup in the NFL.

This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning(if he comes back healthy obviously)

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMWT5OEWls

Yeah.... I'll go with :fingergun: Schaub.

Last night I was at a bar and this one guy we were talking to threw a huge tantrum when we told him that we weren't confident in TJ Yates. I've seen some homers before, but this guy took the cake. We were discussing other available guys that we'd like to have, and boy did this guy get heated at the fact that we didn't think some 5th round rookie was capable of taking us to the promised land. He talked as if TJ Yates was the most highly sought after QB of all time coming into the league. He even went on and on about how Yates won the game for the Texans last weekend and couldn't fathom the premise that the defense won it for the Texans along with the running game. It was some funny stuff watching this guy go ape **** over TJ Yates.

I thought this was some great insight about Yates from AJ today. There goes the "noodle arm" theory. I also think it's pretty interesting that Yates has not had a media interview since Weds. I'm sure Kubes put the kibbosh on that.

(on how QB T.J. Yates’s arm is) “He throws the ball, he has a little bit more zip on it. I’ve been able to catch some balls from him when I was injured or whatever. It’s a little different, but at the same time, that’s what practice is for. You see guys catching balls from him during practice when the defense are doing drills and stuff like that. We’re ready to go. We had a good week. I’m pretty sure the stadium will be rocking Sunday and we’ll be ready to play.”

(on if he has confidence that QB T.J. Yates can make any throw) “Yeah, he has a strong arm. He can throw the ball. Like I said, he’s fine. We have to get ourselves ready. Like I said, we can’t all just be worried about T.J.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/fbbd1a1b-9544-4c0e-8dc4-b0f82e3ba689

Last night I was at a bar and this one guy we were talking to threw a huge tantrum when we told him that we weren't confident in TJ Yates. I've seen some homers before, but this guy took the cake. We were discussing other available guys that we'd like to have, and boy did this guy get heated at the fact that we didn't think some 5th round rookie was capable of taking us to the promised land. He talked as if TJ Yates was the most highly sought after QB of all time coming into the league. He even went on and on about how Yates won the game for the Texans last weekend and couldn't fathom the premise that the defense won it for the Texans along with the running game. It was some funny stuff watching this guy go ape **** over TJ Yates.

Homers can be a real trip.

I like to sprinkle a little reality into my football enthusiasm.

Some folks just don't take to reality.

Funny, but I'm not worried about TJ Yates. At least not until he provides me something to worry about.

I think this team is solid and can pick up the slack. IMO, Yates will not need to carry the load. He will be required to makes some throws, of course, and that could get him into trouble like any rookie QB (or any other QB for that matter).

But, with line we have protecting him, the weapons at his disposal, the running game, and that badass defense, I'm not just wringing my hands about this rookie staring week 12 right now.

Perhaps I'm delusional. So be it. But, we have never been 8-3. We have never been the top seed in the AFC. So why ruin this feeling right now with unconfirmed concerns? If he sucks, we can fill up next week with those concerns. If he's solid, then the concerns wasted good vibes this week.

Charlie Palilo had a good philosophy the other day. He said life gives us enough thorns in the bush, so why not smell the occasional rose when it blooms. That's the way I feel right now. Just enjoying the moment and taking it a day at a time.

I can freak out on Monday if warranted. :fingergun:

Funny, but I'm not worried about TJ Yates. At least not until he provides me something to worry about.

I think this team is solid and can pick up the slack. IMO, Yates will not need to carry the load. He will be required to makes some throws, of course, and that could get him into trouble like any rookie QB (or any other QB for that matter).

But, with line we have protecting him, the weapons at his disposal, the running game, and that badass defense, I'm not just wringing my hands about this rookie staring week 12 right now.

Perhaps I'm delusional. So be it. But, we have never been 8-3. We have never been the top seed in the AFC. So why ruin this feeling right now with unconfirmed concerns? If he sucks, we can fill up next week with those concerns. If he's solid, then the concerns wasted good vibes this week.

Charlie Palilo had a good philosophy the other day. He said life gives us enough thorns in the bush, so why not smell the occasional rose when it blooms. That's the way I feel right now. Just enjoying the moment and taking it a day at a time.

I can freak out on Monday if warranted. :fingergun:

Because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown into the fire, and I don't play the just have faith and confidence just to have it, because it's my team act. Even if I tried, I'd know that deep down I was being fake and forcing optimism into something I didn't believe in. The Texans hopes for a playoff run to the SB are over and I've accepted that. They were pretty much over when Schaub went down and we had Leinart. With Leniart though, I felt pretty good and felt that if he got hot that maybe he could win a playoff game or so, but in no shape or form did I think that he could lead the Texans to a SB this season, but I was excited to see what Leinart could do either way.

With TJ Yates, sorry, but you're setting yourself up for a big let down. He's a rookie that's being thrown to the wolves.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me. Now all of a sudden the Texans are 8-3 and people want to feel like there is a chance, well yeah there is always a snowball's chance, but to honestly feel like this TJ Yates kid could go into the playoffs and beat these top AFC teams is not being realistic. Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

You can talk about how great the defense is and the running game and other things, but playoff games are going to be close and in the post season it almost always comes down to what you're QB can do in the clutch and down the stretch. It's not even fair to remotely expect a rookie like TJ Yates to go out there and take this team anywhere.

Homers can be a real trip.

I like to sprinkle a little reality into my football enthusiasm.

Some folks just don't take to reality.

But this guy actually was trying to argue that TJ Yates "won" the game for the Texans last week. Lol!

We kept trying to explain to him that he did nothing and all he got to do was hand the ball off and throw a few short passes, and it was all the defense holding the other team until the 4th quarter was over, and he simply couldn't grasp the whole "game manager" role and what Yates did. He really thought that Yates led this team to victory and put the team on his shoulders.

Freaking hilarious. You could probably put a Texans jersey on Vladmir Putin and that dude would be going off on how Putin's the best QB since Unitas.

Ah man this guy was going in circles, but he simply couldn't fathom how anyone wasn't certain that Yates was going to tear it up from the jump. The crazy part was that he also kept saying that Matt Schaub sucked, and thought he hadn't ever proven anything on the Texans. So, I'm sitting here asking this guy over and over why he had so much confidence in some unproven rookie that has only thrown like 8 passes in the NFL in one game, but didn't have any confidence in a guy who has thrown for over 4,000 yards for several years now and was a top 10 QB?? NOthing he said made any sense, and the more we'd point out these little things that were obvious, he'd get more upset and start attacking our fan hood. He swore that Yates had Schaub's job from here on out. Lol!

Because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown into the fire, and I don't play the just have faith and confidence just to have it, because it's my team act. Even if I tried, I'd know that deep down I was being fake and forcing optimism into something I didn't believe in. The Texans hopes for a playoff run to the SB are over and I've accepted that. They were pretty much over when Schaub went down and we had Leinart. With Leniart though, I felt pretty good and felt that if he got hot that maybe he could win a playoff game or so, but in no shape or form did I think that he could lead the Texans to a SB this season, but I was excited to see what Leinart could do either way.

With TJ Yates, sorry, but you're setting yourself up for a big let down. He's a rookie that's being thrown to the wolves.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me. Now all of a sudden the Texans are 8-3 and people want to feel like there is a chance, well yeah there is always a snowball's chance, but to honestly feel like this TJ Yates kid could go into the playoffs and beat these top AFC teams is not being realistic. Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

You can talk about how great the defense is and the running game and other things, but playoff games are going to be close and in the post season it almost always comes down to what you're QB can do in the clutch and down the stretch. It's not even fair to remotely expect a rookie like TJ Yates to go out there and take this team anywhere.

I guess we are different in that I do not maintain the SuperBowl-or-bust mentality.

I don't see optimism as fake, but rather just enjoying the ride.

I just want to see this team in the playoffs for once.

Not that I don't want them to win in the playoffs, but it is a goal right now just to achieve a playoff berth for the first time in franchise history.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now. I see some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but we differ in that I reserve judgment until given something tangible to base judgment on.

I will only be letdown if this team fails to make the playoffs. How they get there and what they do after that are not my focus. I just want to get that monkey off our back of 'never been to the post season'.

And please, do not give me some rant about fans and lowered expectations. We watch the game. We do not play these games. What we think as fans is completely irrelevant to affect the final score.

This stuff is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now.

What DB said. I have no expectations good or bad for Yates. I hope he does well. Acting as if you know how he is going to perform and what the Texans can and can't do is pure assumption.

TJ Yates...

That's my QB.

sadto.gif

Of course, I'm hoping that TJ Yates comes out and plays lights out beyond everyone's expectations and carries us to the Super Bowl with his amazing virtuosity.

I'm not really expecting it, though.

I think he's going to play well. I think Kubiak is going to call plays to protect him as much as possible and put him in the best possible situation to shine. But, he's still a rookie. He's going to make mistakes and we're not going to get the same level of play that we got from Schaub.

Defenses are going to tighten down. Our running game isn't going to look as good. We're not going to be the well-oiled machine matriculating the ball down the field and eating up the clock. Arian Foster is going to be blanketed 24/7 all over the field. Defensive Coordinators are going to pull out every exotic blitz and coverage in the playbook and throw it against him.

And because of all of that, our defense's stats are going to take a hit. They're not going to be playing from the lead as much and they're going to be on the field more.

Let's be honest here. We're all riding the high of the longest winning streak in our team's history. But in that period, we've played Jacksonville twice, the Browns, the Buccs, and the Titans. Not exactly a murderer's row.

These next two games are going to be damned tough. We're probably going to lose.

But... dammit... I can't help it. I'm mainlining the koolaide, too. I think Yates is going to come out and OWN the Falcons. I can't help it. I'm a homer.

:texan: :trophy:

I guess we are different in that I do not maintain the SuperBowl-or-bust mentality.

When did I ever say SB or bust?? I never said anything about expecting to go to the SB. I never even expected to go with Matt Schaub even, because I don't trust Kubiak as a game day coach in a post season atmosphere.

I don't see optimism as fake, but rather just enjoying the ride.

Good for you. We all are, but I'm not expecting this ride to go that far once we make it to the post season, and I won't really be upset about that considering the circumstances.

I just want to see this team in the playoffs for once.

Does this mean just making the playoffs was what the expectations always were?? I'd hope not knowing that we're in year 6 of this regime. I've heard you state otherwise in the past. We have lost two QB's though, so I can understand a "just playoffs" attitude at this point. But I really don't care to hear about it being the first time in franchise history and all of that. Who cares. If you get to the playoffs, you don't get happy just to be there. You go out there expecting to be able to compete and win in the playoffs. This year we simply don't have a quality seasoned QB, and it's just not going to be in the cards for us.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now. I see some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but we differ in that I reserve judgment until given something tangible to base judgment on.

I'm not tearing him down. I'm just stating the obvious. Yates was no superstar rookie coming into this league in the first place. He was a later round draft pick that just happens to play for the Texans and now has become our starter. Let's be honest if he played for the Titans or some other team like the Vikings, no one in here would have any strong confidence in that team to make a strong run in the playoffs. Who are we kidding here? Stating the obvious isn't tearing Yates down. It's just having low expectations, because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown to the wolves without hardly any experience. Hell, he didn't even get a proper pre season to get acclimated. Some of the best QB's of all time would fail miserably in this situation as rookies even.

I will only be letdown if this team fails to make the playoffs. How they get there and what they do after that are not my focus. I just want to get that monkey off our back of 'never been to the post season'.

The same as me, but only because of our circumstances as I stated before. If we don't make the playoffs I'll be pissed, but I know we will and I'm not worried about that. The only way I'll be ticked at a playoff loss is if Kubiak refuses to let Yates try to win the game and pass the ball around if that's what the offense needs to do to win. If Kubiak just coaches super conservatively and plays not to lose just because we've got a young guy, I'll be angry then, but right now Kubiak has his job in the bag because of all the injuries, so he really has no excuse to be to cautious and has everything on his side to let Yates do what he can do.

And please, do not give me some rant about fans and lowered expectations. We watch the game. We do not play these games. What we think as fans is completely irrelevant to affect the final score.

This stuff is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in this part. I don't know what you're referring to that I said.

Ah man this guy was going in circles, but he simply couldn't fathom how anyone wasn't certain that Yates was going to tear it up from the jump. The crazy part was that he also kept saying that Matt Schaub sucked, and thought he hadn't ever proven anything on the Texans. So, I'm sitting here asking this guy over and over why he had so much confidence in some unproven rookie that has only thrown like 8 passes in the NFL in one game, but didn't have any confidence in a guy who has thrown for over 4,000 yards for several years now and was a top 10 QB?? NOthing he said made any sense, and the more we'd point out these little things that were obvious, he'd get more upset and start attacking our fan hood. He swore that Yates had Schaub's job from here on out. Lol!

Just for the record thread contributors, that wasn't me at that bar, lol. That guy sounds like a trip.

I don't think Schaub sucks. I just think he is above average in terms of quarterbacking in the NFL and not a playmaker.

And I am excited about Yates, and hope he can be are QB here for the next 10 years. I'm not saying he's going to be, but I am saying I'm looking forward to finding out.

I thought this was some great insight about Yates from AJ today. There goes the "noodle arm" theory. I also think it's pretty interesting that Yates has not had a media interview since Weds. I'm sure Kubes put the kibbosh on that.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/fbbd1a1b-9544-4c0e-8dc4-b0f82e3ba689

What would you expect AJ to say? Yates sucks and we're going to lose every game because of him. LOL

BTW, Yates will do fine and the Texans are going to make the playoffs. IMHO

If Yates throws 3 ints in the 1st half. Then expect to see Delhomme in the 2nd half. Either way the Texans are going to be fine.

What would you expect AJ to say? Yates sucks and we're going to lose every game because of him. LOL

Well, no, there's one thing for AJ to give the media what he thinks they want to hear based upon how they are pushing the questions, but there's quite another for AJ to come out, unbidden, and say Yates has "more zip on the ball" - "more" being the operative word, in contrast to who? It could be in contrast to only Lienart, or maybe both Lienart and Schaub...but there is definitely a comparison to another Texans' QB(s).

I'm not trying to pump the Yates sunshine. I simply thought that was an interesting choice of words considering that it appears - from what we've seen - that yes, Yates does have more zip on the ball than we've known from other QBs on the team; and yes, that cuts against the grain of a lot of pre-draft analysis of Yates.

Take it as you will. "Zip" doesn't equal victories - but it would be nice to see a Texans' QB who can throw that sucker on a rope for once.

Just for the record thread contributors, that wasn't me at that bar, lol. That guy sounds like a trip.

I don't think Schaub sucks. I just think he is above average in terms of quarterbacking in the NFL and not a playmaker.

I disagree. Schaub may not be mobile, but he has a pretty accurate arm as a passer and has shown for several years now that he can lead this team and put up a lot of points. He's a poor man's Kurt Warner and I'm alright with that unless there is a better and younger guy that has the potential to be elite.

And I am excited about Yates, and hope he can be are QB here for the next 10 years. I'm not saying he's going to be, but I am saying I'm looking forward to finding out.

I'm not high on Yates at all, and I'm hoping that he'll surprise me, but as far as the future goes I want to look for other options unless Yates kicks ass and takes names.

I hope homer guy is right.

I've got my doubts

But hopefully Gary will open up the offense and let him play.

I disagree. Schaub may not be mobile, but he has a pretty accurate arm as a passer and has shown for several years now that he can lead this team and put up a lot of points. He's a poor man's Kurt Warner and I'm alright with that unless there is a better and younger guy that has the potential to be elite.

I'm not high on Yates at all, and I'm hoping that he'll surprise me, but as far as the future goes I want to look for other options unless Yates kicks ass and takes names.

Shouldnt yates be given a fair chance before you write him off ?

What DB said. I have no expectations good or bad for Yates. I hope he does well. Acting as if you know how he is going to perform and what the Texans can and can't do is pure assumption.

Well of course it is, but that assumption is based off of a lot of facts and a lot of history that gives indicators. Whether it will be right or wrong is yet to be seen of course.

Yates is our starting QB this Sunday. Period. And Sunday can't get here soon enough so all this bullshit arguing will be over with.

Oh...wait a minute. The arguing will never be over with. For a second there, I forgot where I was. LOL

even first round draft pick rookies need more than a few games before they light it up, more often than not. hell you know what peyton mannings record was as a rookie ???

even first round draft pick rookies need more than a few games before they light it up, more often than not. hell you know what peyton mannings record was as a rookie ???

So how do you get that I was writing him off from that?? He is going to get his chance to play with one of the best teams in the league. He's getting "his chance" to show what kind of potential or what kind of ceiling he might possibly have.

Where were you all season long to tell everyone about how great Yates was?? Did you think that he was some sort of Pro Bowler in the making when we drafted him?? He wasn't even on most teams radars as far as being a future starter in this league. He's just a late round pick that was at the bottom of our depth chart and now everyone is excited about this kid because they have no other choice, but that doesn't mean that I'm supposed to feel confident in this kid just because we're stuck with him now as our starter. That's like asking me to feel confident that we'll get really heavy snow in Houston this Winter. Sure, it's possible, but the odds are terrible. You want to ignore odds, then knock yourself out. Don't shoot me in the foot for having lowered expectations on what a 5th round rookie can do that all of a sudden became the most popular player on the Houston Texans over night because two other QB's got hurt.

When did I ever say SB or bust?? I never said anything about expecting to go to the SB. I never even expected to go with Matt Schaub even, because I don't trust Kubiak as a game day coach in a post season atmosphere.

Well, you mentioned Super Bowl in your first paragraph a couple of times, so it appeared your expectations were higher than mine at this point. No desire to paint you in a picture that you were not a part of, though.

Good for you. We all are, but I'm not expecting this ride to go that far once we make it to the post season, and I won't really be upset about that considering the circumstances.

Yeah, it is good for me. I do not live vicariously through my sports team. It's nothing more than entertainment at the end of the day, and my "job" as a fan is to root for the team. I'm just not going to dwell in negative thoughts right now. Not saying you are, but I don't think that being optimistic right now equates to being fake, which is what you seemed to imply.

Does this mean just making the playoffs was what the expectations always were?? I'd hope not knowing that we're in year 6 of this regime. I've heard you state otherwise in the past. We have lost two QB's though, so I can understand a "just playoffs" attitude at this point. But I really don't care to hear about it being the first time in franchise history and all of that. Who cares. If you get to the playoffs, you don't get happy just to be there. You go out there expecting to be able to compete and win in the playoffs. This year we simply don't have a quality seasoned QB, and it's just not going to be in the cards for us.

This is the rant I referred to in my last point. :fingergun:

Some of us do get to be happy just to get to the playoffs. We have not seen a postseason game in almost two decades in this city.

I'm not going to apologize for being happy to finally achieve a goal that has eluded this franchise for a decade.

I'm not tearing him down. I'm just stating the obvious. Yates was no superstar rookie coming into this league in the first place. He was a later round draft pick that just happens to play for the Texans and now has become our starter. Let's be honest if he played for the Titans or some other team like the Vikings, no one in here would have any strong confidence in that team to make a strong run in the playoffs. Who are we kidding here? Stating the obvious isn't tearing Yates down. It's just having low expectations, because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown to the wolves without hardly any experience. Hell, he didn't even get a proper pre season to get acclimated. Some of the best QB's of all time would fail miserably in this situation as rookies even.

My point was that Yates does not have to be a superstar. We have the kind of defense that can win games. Trent Dilfer has a ring because he rode the coattails of a fantastic defense. Brad Johnson, too. Neither of these dudes would ever be confused for superstar QBs. But, they were solid game managers that did not cost their teams games because of mistakes.

Is it really that unrealistic to hope that Yates can at least be as competent as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

I'm not sure what you're getting at in this part. I don't know what you're referring to that I said.

It was not referring to what you said, but what you might say...which you did in this post. :spin:

Yates is our starting QB this Sunday. Period. And Sunday can't get here soon enough so all this bullshit arguing will be over with.

Oh...wait a minute. The arguing will never be over with. For a second there, I forgot where I was. LOL

Kiss my ass ya damn cockroach! LOL

So how do you get that I was writing him off from that?? He is going to get his chance to play with one of the best teams in the league. He's getting "his chance" to show what kind of potential or what kind of ceiling he might possibly have.

Where were you all season long to tell everyone about how great Yates was?? Did you think that he was some sort of Pro Bowler in the making when we drafted him?? He wasn't even on most teams radars as far as being a future starter in this league. He's just a late round pick that was at the bottom of our depth chart and now everyone is excited about this kid because they have no other choice, but that doesn't mean that I'm supposed to feel confident in this kid just because we're stuck with him now as our starter. That's like asking me to feel confident that we'll get really heavy snow in Houston this Winter. Sure, it's possible, but the odds are terrible. You want to ignore odds, then knock yourself out. Don't shoot me in the foot for having lowered expectations on what a 5th round rookie can do that all of a sudden became the most popular player on the Houston Texans over night because two other QB's got hurt.

First off why would i, i like Schaub and think he is our starter, AND if you noticed as soon as Schaub went down i started a thread saying Leinart or yates, in which i clearly state that i wanted yates over Leinart.

But you dont change a tire if it isnt flat, so why would i want yates in there over Schaub, when he had us winning and everyone knows i am a Schaub Supporter. My whole point is it will be unfair to judge Yates when he gets only 5 1/2 games to prove himself.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me.

If you'd have told me that Duane Brown had not given up a sack all season, that we'll be 4-2 without Andre, have a 5 game win streak, lead the AFC after 11 weeks, be a top 10 offense without Andre, that we'd have the #1 defense, & 2 players likely to end with double digit sacks I'd have laughed my ass off.

I'm not saying that TJ Yates is going to take us to the Super Bowl, I'm not one of those guys. But he'll be on the team.

Championship

I think the Texans will still make the playoffs and while Super Bowl chances are now very slim and I don't expect one nothing is impossible though. Whether Yates is the QB or Jake I really hope Kubiak just lets them play because at this point there is not anything to lose.

My point was that Yates does not have to be a superstar. We have the kind of defense that can win games. Trent Dilfer has a ring because he rode the coattails of a fantastic defense. Brad Johnson, too. Neither of these dudes would ever be confused for superstar QBs. But, they were solid game managers that did not cost their teams games because of mistakes.

Is it really that unrealistic to hope that Yates can at least be as competent as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

These Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson examples have got to stop, because they've gotten out of hand. Those aren't strong examples, because they aren't normal by any stretch. Those are exceptions where two below average QB's won a SB because Dilfer played on a team that had the best defense of all time and Johnson played on a team that had like the 3rd best defense of all time in the Bucs who were just like a hair below the Ravens defense from two years before them. Unless you feel like the Texans have one of the best defenses of all time, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that. Do you think that Simmons or Zabransky would have been able to lead this current Texans team to a SB when they were rookies here, because those are similar comparisons to what Yates is talent wise considering where he was drafted and what expectations were? Johnson and Dilfer were both long term vets that understood their role very well. I love this Texans defense and they are a great defense but we're not dealing with a defense like the 01 Ravens.

My whole point is it will be unfair to judge Yates when he gets only 5 1/2 games to prove himself.

He was never a high prospect in the first place, and unless you were all over the guy and thinking he was some great QB in the making when he was drafted, then I fail to see why you're so upset over this. You can have optimism in a 5th round rookie all you want, and you're always saying that every Texans player is better than everyone else any way, so that's no surprise. I don't really care to keep explaining this to you, because you aren't understanding. I don't have to be optimistic or confident in Yates at all to still root for the guy. What is so freaking hard for you to understand?? Do you wake up in the morning and feel confident that you'll win the lotto?? I don't, but that doesn't mean that I won't hope that I do if I buy a ticket and root for my chances. I don't have any faith in a 5th round rookie that wasn't ever going to be a starter here most likely in the first place. He's being thrown in there, so I'll root for him and hope for the best, but I won't force myself to feel something just for the sake of having faith.

Yates throws for 700 yards, five TDs, and runs in 6 more TDs in one game. We win the next six super bowls in a roll with Yates. Pass the water pipe and beer my friends, we are done with the NFL.

Back