Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time to take the leash of Watson.

I haven't really seen too many plays of late where he's taking defenders on. Unless I've just missed some, of course. Seems like he's become pretty aware and adept at stepping out of bounds and sliding top avoid unnecessary contact.

Or I've just missed your point altogether.

No, you didn’t miss it. He is doing fine. I just confused on what exactly this so-called “leash” is.

I haven't really seen too many plays of late where he's taking defenders on. Unless I've just missed some, of course. Seems like he's become pretty aware and adept at stepping out of bounds and sliding top avoid unnecessary contact.

Or I've just missed your point altogether.

He is pretty aware, but he was taking some good hits after O'Brien opened up the offense in the comeback. Until a coach fixes and properly coaches the OL, that's what's gonna happen.

If I had to guess the leash is the basic offense we’ve been running rather than trying to have him play as a game manager let him lead. It seems only when things go bad BoB decides to let the offense be great.

So, the offense is “great” when you give up on the running game and just have Watson in the shotgun and running around and hoping he can make a play all by himself? Is that what you define as “game manager”?

What exactly is a “game manager” anyway?

So, the offense is “great” when you give up on the running game and just have Watson in the shotgun and running around and hoping he can make a play all by himself? Is that what you define as “game manager”?

What exactly is a “game manager” anyway?
when I say Great I don't literally mean great but more of a "let me be great" but they didn't really just give up on the run it wasn't working. But the offense has been dedicated to just try to protect Deshaun which at times just looks like a game managing offense. Force the run and rely on the defense. Limit passing offense to about 20-25 passes is what they aim for. Is there something wrong with Shotgun or something? thats when Deshaun operates at his best.

Game manager - A quarterback that makes very few costly mistakes or turnovers. Game managers rely on a strong defense and rushing attack and makes a few throws here and there.

when I say Great I don't literally mean great but more of a "let me be great" but they didn't really just give up on the run it wasn't working. But the offense has been dedicated to just try to protect Deshaun which at times just looks like a game managing offense. Force the run and rely on the defense. Limit passing offense to about 20-25 passes is what they aim for. Is there something wrong with Shotgun or something? thats when Deshaun operates at his best.

Game manager - A quarterback that makes very few costly mistakes or turnovers. Game managers rely on a strong defense and rushing attack and makes a few throws here and there.

Lol, it was both. It wasn’t working and they gave up on it. Aside from that, you simply can’t depend on Houdini plays from Watson series in series out. That’s unsustainable for a number of reasons among which Watson would get killed. He dodges enough sacks as it is with BoB trying to protect him with a ball control offense.

The best way to play it is exactly how BoB has been doing it. If the time comes when Watson has to do the sandlot thing, let him do it but only when the game is slipping out of reach.

Leash = not opening up the playbook. Trying to play Mono ah mono and just beat your man. Keeping it simple. Shouldn’t be hard to understand unless you’re a dimwit.

When is the last time we ran a bootleg? Moved the pocket around? Go back and watch the offense when Watson was lightning it up last year. Then watch this generic offense at the beginning of games. It’s playoff time. Let’s give Watson a game plan that takes advantage of his skillset.

Back