• RB

• TE

• Dline

• LB

• Edge

• CB

• S

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you agree that we must have a backup plan for Howard? I think that Jordan could be our blocking fullback / tight end. I continue to see 2024 with Stroud in an empty backfield. He was very successful in that set.
Yeah you try to keep Jones or Fant or both. You gotta keep a couple swing tackles anyway and bring in either a decent Vet or good rookie or both.
I know we have the two Greens as well but they're your (hopefully) future guards.

They got 4 1st round picks (2 for Tunsil plus he's the highest paid LT) and a 2nd rounder invested into this OL. It's not like they haven't been trying to address it. The problem is 2 of the 1st rounders played 7 games combined and the 2nd rounder played 7. Other than getting these guys snap counts up, how much more resources do you need to pour into it?

Until they get it right…..and healthy.

They got 4 1st round picks (2 for Tunsil plus he's the highest paid LT) and a 2nd rounder invested into this OL. It's not like they haven't been trying to address it. The problem is 2 of the 1st rounders played 7 games combined and the 2nd rounder played 7. Other than getting these guys snap counts up, how much more resources do you need to pour into it?
A few more until we get where we need to be. Glad they have tried, but we need on the field production.

I keep coming back in my mind to the idea that we need a RB who is a difference maker. Yes, the blocking has to be there and I don't know if we are there yet or if we have pieces that just need more time healthy to come together but I like the idea of having a legitimate franchise back. It's not always possible I understand but it's something I always want the team I'm following to have.

Recently I saw a video on YouTube suggesting the Texans make a move to bring in Saquon Barkley and at about the same time I saw someone throwing out the Derrick Henry question and it got me thinking. If you need a legitimate starter who can make defenses account for them then how do you go about that? Are you for trying to find the guy in the draft or do you pursue someone proven? I keep thinking of all the over the hill backs we've seen and I can't get excited about bringing in a veteran back no matter what he's done before. It's almost like the more he's done the less will be left for the Texans. Ahman Green and Ron Dayne cast long shadows in my memory. I want the Texans to burn a pick on a RB. I think they have to have one. I hope they don't take a shot at one of these veterans who is going to be out there. I'd like to see them bring in a young guy with wheels who can have the best of his career while Stroud is still lighting it up too.

I'm not too worried about our OL now, except when it comes to run blocking. Our pass protection issues are mostly on blitz recognition and an occasional miss picking up a twist. I think once we have everybody back where they're supposed to be, we've got all the pieces for a good OL.

We have to figure out how to stop TEs, and I think that comes down to LBs and Ss. Almost clicked those.

Do we need another young stud CB to pair with Stingley? Almost clicked CB.

Are we happy with our DL and Edge? Caserio has really been working the waiver wire but he's not going to get second pick anymore. Almost clicked those.

I'm happy with Shultz as a receiver, but blocking? Meh. Brevin Jordan showed what he CAN do against the Browns, but he's just not consistently that guy enough. So I almost chose TE.

Stroud needs more weapons because once Dell or Collins goes down, we become one dimensional unless someone has an unexpected big game. So I almost chose WR.

I clicked on almost every option before deciding on RB.

I wonder how much Swift would cost. I think he is a higher end Singletary. If it’s me, I look to trade Pierce if possible. If I can’t, he can compete for carries next year, but he has to prove it. I also am signing a vet, with Swift being my number one choice at this time. I don’t think the money would be outrageous, and I would probably let Motor move on in this scenario. I’m also interested in Henry if he is reasonable and I can’t nab Swift. Then I’m also going to the well in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round for a good young RB that fits.

Dline was my vote.
Need some big, nasty space eaters that also rush the passers.

Need to get pressure on the QB with 4 instead of having to go jailbreak every down like they did against Lamar in the 1st half.

If I had 2 votes the 2nd would be Oline.
I agree, but wherever we weak exactly? WAJr? No. Greenard? I can't imagine being upgraded by a rookie. Rankins? Collins? Ehhhh....

Last edited:
If they add a FA RB Swift or Pollard would be my choice along with re-signing Singletary and drafting a guy in the later rds

I forgot that Pollard was a FA. He was really good in 22, but wasn’t nearly as dynamic in 23. Not sure what happened, but when he was Robin, he was really good. When he was Batman, he was just barely ok.

Per ESPN Stroud had 499 attempts 63.9 in regular season. 29 per game. Give him at least one [or 2] more good WRs and crank it up. We have supposedly better pass blocking offensive line so let's stop whining about it and utilize it!

CJ has dispelled the notion that he is poor under pressure and many times in an empty backfield he did very good. Was there any strategy behind Mike Evans appearing at a Houston Rocket game last week? More and more people are agreeing that he would be excellent in Houston regardless of his age of 31 this summer. Combine him with a young standout wide receiver from the draft and let Stroud loose.

Per ESPN Stroud had 499 attempts 63.9 in regular season. 29 per game. Give him at least one [or 2] more good WRs and crank it up. We have supposedly better pass blocking offensive line so let's stop whining about it and utilize it!

CJ has dispelled the notion that he is poor under pressure and many times in an empty backfield he did very good. Was there any strategy behind Mike Evans appearing at a Houston Rocket game last week? More and more people are agreeing that he would be excellent in Houston regardless of his age of 31 this summer. Combine him with a young standout wide receiver from the draft and let Stroud loose.
Pass on Evans, would rather spend that money on Jones/Leonard Williams/Hunter. I would be good with signing Pollard or Ekeler and bringing back Motor, along with signing Curtis Samuel from the Redskins. That's if Caserio can make this work against the cap. Then go all defense in the draft. Except for the RT position.

A receiving corps of Collins/Dell/Samuel/Metchie/Hutch and a drafted Pearsall is something Stroud can wourk with.

Especially if Caserio brings back Schultz and has Heins/Jordan who i view in Beck's role. Quintano/Saubert.

To go with Ekeler/Motor/Pierce/O

Weapons.

Pass on Evans, would rather spend that money on Jones/Leonard Williams/Hunter. I would be good with signing Pollard or Ekeler and bringing back Motor, along with signing Curtis Samuel from the Redskins. That's if Caserio can make this work against the cap. Then go all defense in the draft. Except for the RT position.

A receiving corps of Collins/Dell/Samuel/Metchie/Hutch and a drafted Pearsall is something Stroud can wourk with.

Especially if Caserio brings back Schultz and has Heins/Jordan who i view in Beck's role. Quintano/Saubert.

To go with Ekeler/Motor/Pierce/O

Weapons.
I want Caserio to keep free agents 1st contract year below $10 million.
Chris Jones
LB Josh Allen
CB Jalon Johnson
FS Geno Stone ~$5
Edge Hunter

Saquon Barkley ~$5
Evans age concerns me but I think Nick gets him.

Trent Brown ~ $5

Total $65 m of about 90 space after my cuts.

I want Caserio to keep free agents 1st contract year below $10 million.
Chris Jones
LB Josh Allen
CB Jalon Johnson
FS Geno Stone ~$5
Edge Hunter

Saquon Barkley ~$5
Evans age concerns me but I think Nick gets him.

Trent Brown ~ $5

Total $65 m of about 90 space after my cuts.
You're going to have to pay Barkley more like 10 mil a yr for 3 yrs =30 mil. With about 1/2 of that guaranteed.

You're going to have to pay Barkley more like 10 mil a yr for 3 yrs =30 mil. With about 1/2 of that guaranteed.
yep APY but contract can be worked to Houston's benefit. He cares about the guarantee.

$1 m base in 2024 with $9m bonus prorate for $4m cap hit. $10 GTD + 2025 base $4 GTD + $1 m LTBE bonus= $15 m

Encourage him with roster bonus for 2026 nonGTD.

I agree, but wherever we weak exactly? WAJr? No. Greenard? I can't imagine being upgraded by a rookie. Rankins? Collins? Ehhhh....
I can if Chop or Robinson is the pick at 1-23. Also bringing Hunter home should be a priority. He's better than Greenard. Greenard's injury history would keep me from giving him the kind of contract he will get on the open market. If Greenard is re-signed I trust that Ryans made the right call.

I can if Chop or Robinson is the pick at 1-23. Also bringing Hunter home should be a priority. He's better than Greenard. Greenard's injury history would keep me from giving him the kind of contract he will get on the open market. If Greenard is re-signed I trust that Ryans made the right call.

Signing DE- Josh Allen (JAX) would make Greenard expendable. Puts Greenard's re-signing money into the pot to add Allen. Having Allen and Anderson as bookends would be pretty exciting. Select DT- T'Vondre Sweat (Texas) in RD2 as well as tying up the additional FA DL not named Hughes and Greenard would certainly make the Texans defensive front seven something to fear.

On a side note.....this defense would really need one final piece, a big, fast SS who plays with an enforcers mentality. Cashman would improve even more with this type of help backing him up in coverage.

Signing DE- Josh Allen (JAX) would make Greenard expendable. Puts Greenard's re-signing money into the pot to add Allen. Having Allen and Anderson as bookends would be pretty exciting. Select DT- T'Vondre Sweat (Texas) in RD2 as well as tying up the additional FA DL not named Hughes and Greenard would certainly make the Texans defensive front seven something to fear.

On a side note.....this defense would really need one final piece, a big, fast SS who plays with an enforcers mentality. Cashman would improve even more with this type of help backing him up in coverage.
The S position was one of the weakest positions on the team. They will need at least one if not two new safeties. Good news is there's going to be a lot of FA on the S market.

The flashy answer is a new shiny weapon for Stroud.

The answer that would truly take the Texans to the next level as true contenders would be to build up the trenches.

The right answer though would be to ask what the new franchise player and captain of the team, Mr CJ Stroud, would want and build on that.

By taking his opinions into account, and thus giving him a voice of the team's path, you'll be more likely to keep him happy and to have an easier time of re-signing him when the time comes.

I'll never change my opinion on how to build a football team; from the trenches out. Build up both your lines, and other stuff will start falling into place with good linemen. In the Texans case, building up that O-line is just as imperative as adding a good RB. Or another WR weapon for Stroud.

Rookie prejudice ? We shouldn't have that kind of bigotry on the Texans MB !
But don't you think the Texans 2023 rookie class in atleast a few instances upgraded positions ?

I'll never change my opinion on how to build a football team; from the trenches out. Build up both your lines, and other stuff will start falling into place with good linemen. In the Texans case, building up that O-line is just as imperative as adding a good RB. Or another WR weapon for Stroud.

110% with you. I used to think otherwise but I've seen the flashy teams be too soft in critical moments where toughness of the lines are needed, and they just fold and completely get hit in the mouth. After that I changed my mind to this line of thinking

The flashy answer is a new shiny weapon for Stroud.

The answer that would truly take the Texans to the next level as true contenders would be to build up the trenches.

The right answer though would be to ask what the new franchise player and captain of the team, Mr CJ Stroud, would want and build on that.

By taking his opinions into account, and thus giving him a voice of the team's path, you'll be more likely to keep him happy and to have an easier time of re-signing him when the time comes.

My first 2 picks in the draft and Defensive UFA Signings:

RD1: RT/LT- Guyton (Oklahoma)

RD2: DT- T’Vondre Sweat (Texas)

UFA: DE- Josh Allen (JAX)

UFA: DT- Sheldon Rankins (HOU)

UFA: DE- Derek Barnett (HOU)

UFA: DT- Teair Tart (HOU)

UFA: DT- Hassan Ridgeway (HOU)

UFA: CB- Steve Nelson (HOU)

Defense would be in good shape. Guyton would be a big answer on the OL.

My first 2 picks in the draft and Defensive UFA Signings:

RD1: RT/LT- Guyton (Oklahoma)

RD2: DT- T’Vondre Sweat (Texas)

UFA: DE- Josh Allen (JAX)

UFA: DT- Sheldon Rankins (HOU)

UFA: DE- Derek Barnett (HOU)

UFA: DT- Teair Tart (HOU)

UFA: DT- Hassan Ridgeway (HOU)

UFA: CB- Steve Nelson (HOU)

Defense would be in good shape. Guyton would be a big answer on the OL.

I don't mind it per se, but I'd say that's too many DL players that could have been spread around to other positions of equal or close to equal tier of pay

I don't mind it per se, but I'd say that's too many DL players that could have been spread around to other positions of equal or close to equal tier of pay
The only DL player he's adding not currently with the Texans is Josh Allen to replace Greenard. He just doesn't realize that Allen will be tagged

If Guyton is there he would be my pick at 1-23. Doubtful he will be there. I love Sweat, but I don't think he fits what Ryans wants to do.

I'm getting more on board with bringing back Rankins and Tart at 10 mil per year for 2-3 years. If this happens FA would look like this for me. They could afford this.

Xavier McKinney
Barkley
Al Shaair
La Jarius Sneed
Curtis Samuel

Josh Allen solves many problems and I prefer to increase snaps we see of 5 player rush scheme. Allen, Danielle Hunter, Chris Jones, Malik Collins and Will Anderson. We have inexpensive backups. Sheldon Rankins and Derek Barnett on the cheap. This type defense improves the DBs and LBs also.

I see Jalen Pitre wanting to play strong safety although I like his techniques at FS. I just don't see his mindset changing. When he was allowed to play FS in late 2022, we saw improvement. When 2023 began, he reverted to SS mindset and I think that led to what we saw. I bring in pure FS Geno Stone.

I am not sold on T'Vondre Sweat: weight and IIRC CloaknnnDagger suggested his work ethic. Chris Jones of course resolves that. If he's not here, I go with Dorlus and as a 1st season back up: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Akheem-Mesidor-DL-WestVirginia

Cashman, I can accept him here or not but would move him to MLB as I like his ability to see field. He can earn more $ elsewhere.

I'm hoping that Bears will not tag Jaylon Johnson and we can get him to play opposite Stingley.

Stroud had 499 pass attempts over 15 games. That's over 33 attempts/game.
Correct I extrapolated as if he could do that in full season. I have no issue with giving him more passes specifically if we provide him with better WR group. Woods catch % is good but he is seemingly not a huge benefit for yardage or TDs.

l

Meh.

Giving a QB say in direction of team reminds me of Watson wanting say in GM and HC signings. Then he decided to go on vacation when the signings were going down and got upset that he wasn’t consulted. He was at a 2 but then got to a 10 when Caserio was hired and he didn’t have the input he thought he was going to have.

Watson and Stroud and completely two different people. And Stroud could be a genius and picking his players that compliment him.

But I also look at Mahomes who wanted the Chiefs to draft Edwards-Helaire. That didn’t work out as planned.

Stroud is great. But I still got PTSD from Watson. I am working on it though.

Just saying.

Meh.

Giving a QB say in direction of team reminds me of Watson wanting say in GM and HC signings. Then he decided to go on vacation when the signings were going down and got upset that he wasn’t consulted. He was at a 2 but then got to a 10 when Caserio was hired and he didn’t have the input he thought he was going to have.

Watson and Stroud and completely two different people. And Stroud could be a genius and picking his players that compliment him.

But I also look at Mahomes who wanted the Chiefs to draft Edwards-Helaire. That didn’t work out as planned.

Stroud is great. But I still got PTSD from Watson. I am working on it though.

Just saying.

And I'm just saying as a fan of a team who just signed their franchise QB that the franchise QB needs to feel like they at least have a voice somewhat in what is wanted. Obviously don't make him GM but ask for a list of players he'd love to work with. If it fails with a single player on the list, oh well, move on and realize it's far more important to keep the guy motivated and a smoother process with contract negotiations.

Correct I extrapolated as if he could do that in full season. I have no issue with giving him more passes specifically if we provide him with better WR group. Woods catch % is good but he is seemingly not a huge benefit for yardage or TDs.
Well, the Texans were 12th in the league in passes attempted. 20th in rushing attempts. I believe the Texans would prefer the rushing attempts going up. I'm less concerned with attempts than yards. Yards per attempt, both passing and rushing, are the key stats.

Well, the Texans were 12th in the league in passes attempted. 20th in rushing attempts. I believe the Texans would prefer the rushing attempts going up. I'm less concerned with attempts than yards. Yards per attempt, both passing and rushing, are the key stats.
Yes or no

Offensive line is significantly better pass blocking than run blocking?

Stroud is a great passing QB?

12th had 11 better?

Stroud avg 7.4
Singletary 4.2

Texans prefer run attempts to go up or attempts to be hugely improved? The latter can be done and still pass more.

I am not saying not to improve running game and do expect at least one significant veteran free agent to be brought in. I'm just saying we have a very good passing quarterback and receiving crew. Adding a significant draft pick and or veteran free agent plus adding more passing attempts will be the way to go.

Yes or no

12th had 11 better?

Stroud avg 7.4
Singletary 4.2

Texans prefer run attempts to go up or attempts to be hugely improved? The latter can be done and still pass more.

I am not saying not to improve running game and do expect at least one significant veteran free agent to be brought in. I'm just saying we have a very good passing quarterback and receiving crew. Adding a significant draft pick and or veteran free agent plus adding more passing attempts will be the way to go.

Highly disagree. You don't ignore your weaknesses. But sounds good.

Yes or no

12th had 11 better?

Stroud avg 7.4
Singletary 4.2

If you do go that route, it is imperative you build a wall in front of the passer and give him the weapons to throw to.

If you do go that route, it is imperative you build a wall in front of the passer and give him the weapons to throw to.
With the exception of whether Tytus Howard will be able to start or not, our offense line in pass blocking is really good. And I have constantly stated we will improve wide receiver targets by at least one in my hopes two.

Yes or no

12th had 11 better?

Stroud avg 7.4
Singletary 4.2

Former Ohio State.head coach Woody Hayes was often quoted as saying "only three things can happen when you pass (a completion, an incompletion, and an interception) and two of them are bad." I would add an additional element in that a 3rd bad thing can happen when dropping back to pass, and that is your QB can get hit or sacked. Maybe injured.

There is no such thing as an impenetrable wall in front of your QB. The defense can always bring one more guy than you can block. An offense can't allow free runs at the QB. That is the reason a running game needs to be established. To slow down the pass rush. To have LBs step up and create spacing in the secondary. To have Safeties come up to support the run, and get big plays downfield in play action.

Football isn't played in a vacuum. One thing affects another thing, which affects something else. It's never as simple as looking at stats and saying, "Passing plays average more yards then running plays. Let's throw more and run less."

Last edited:
Former Ohio State.head coach Woody Hayes was often quoted as saying "only three things can happen when you pass (a completion, an incompletion, and an interception) and two of them are bad." I would add an additional element in that 3rd bad thing can happen when dropping back to pass, and that is your QB can get sacked. Maybe injured.

There is no such thing as an impenetrable wall in front of your QB. The defense can always bring one more guy than you can block. An offense can't allow free runs at the QB. That is the reason a running game needs to be established. To slow down the pass rush. To have LBs step up and create spacing in the secondary. To have Safeties come up to support the run, and get big plays downfield in play action.

Football isn't played in a vacuum. One thing affects another thing, which affects something else. It's never as simple as looking at stats and saying, "Passing plays average more yards then running plays. Let's throw more and run less."

Amen my friend

And please identify where I said anything about RB. I was referring to the trenches
Got you. Do you think that Texans are actually going to do anything for the offensive line other than possibly right tackle if and that's a big if they think Howard cannot play? I am not talking about backups. That's why I thought you were referring to running backs.

Former Ohio State.head coach Woody Hayes was often quoted as saying "only three things can happen when you pass (a completion, an incompletion, and an interception) and two of them are bad." I would add an additional element in that a 3rd bad thing can happen when dropping back to pass, and that is your QB can get hit or sacked. Maybe injured.

Everyone knows everything that you just said but that still does not change anything I have said.

With the exception of whether Tytus Howard will be able to start or not, our offense line in pass blocking is really good. And I have constantly stated we will improve wide receiver targets by at least one in my hopes two.
There are still some questions about the guard and center spots as well as Howard.

Got you. Do you think that Texans are actually going to do anything for the offensive line other than possibly right tackle if and that's a big if they think Howard cannot play? I am not talking about backups. That's why I thought you were referring to running backs.

Refer to a couple posts below this to what Texansphan said

There are still some questions about the guard and center spots as well as Howard.
I do not see it that way and I doubt if the Texans do. Either Patterson or Juice Scruggs will be the center and quite possibly Patterson will be our left guard in my opinion. I have seen few people that know the team suggesting that Houston will spend a high draft pick for either guard or center. Mason has locked in Right Guard regardless of his PFF. The only question that I see is which of the left guards on the roster will win that position.

I do not see it that way and I doubt if the Texans do. Either Patterson or Juice Scruggs will be the center and quite possibly Patterson will be our left guard in my opinion. I have seen few people that know the team suggesting that Houston will spend a high draft pick for either guard or center. Mason has locked in Right Guard regardless of his PFF. The only question that I see is which of the left guards on the roster will win that position.
I agree about the C, they won't draft one as they did that last draft.
But...there is a real dude in this draft who plays center and is equally good at guard - adept in pass and run pro but is projected in the late 20's to early 30's.
Jackson Powers-Johnson - and it has been very quiet around him. Check him out.

But...there is a real dude in this draft who plays center and is equally good at guard - adept in pass and run pro but is projected in the late 20's to early 30's.
I am familiar with him but don't have him currently ranked as high as you do. I think he would do better as a center only and do not see the Texans interested in him. If he is selected where you think he will be, Texans would have to use pick 23 and I just cannot see that. Again, I think our left guard is going to be decided by whom we have on the roster currently. I think it will be tough enough for the them to swallow Kenyon Green"s first round pick without drafting another one at 23.

I think he goes 1-21 to Miami.

Was the OL really that good in the passing game or was Stroud really good at buying time in the pocket? Stroud didn't get a whole lot of clean pockets. Rarely did he have time to go through his progressions before delivering a strike. More often than not, he was moving and either throwing on the run or moving and resetting his feet to make a throw. I think it was Stroud who made the OL look good in the passing game versus the OL making CJ look good.

Draft a RT and get everyone else healthy and I really believe the Texans OL could take a major step forward this season.

Back