Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

This source has Texans at #19 in pass protection going into 23'

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
I think there has been too much made of CJ not passing well when under pressure. I will say this. Last year's Ohio State offensive line was the BEST I have ever seen there in terms of pass protection. The fact is that CJ wasn't actually under a lot of pressure and so it's not something he had to deal with. Against Georgia, CJ played extraordinarily well! I'm sure that CJ is going to get tested quite a bit this summer by the Texan's staff as this is a part of his game that he's going to have to develop.

C.J. Stroud didn’t perform well under pressure at Ohio State, but Houston’s offensive line could help mitigate that problem. Tunsil is still playing like a top-five offensive tackle, while trade acquisition Mason is as steady as they come.
Green, the 15th pick of the 2022 draft, has better play in him than he showed during his rookie season. Scruggs, the No. 175 player on PFN’s Industry Consensus Board, was overdrafted in the second round.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I think there has been too much made of CJ not passing well when under pressure. I will say this. Last year's Ohio State offensive line was the BEST I have ever seen there in terms of pass protection. The fact is that CJ wasn't actually under a lot of pressure and so it's not something he had to deal with. Against Georgia, CJ played extraordinarily well! I'm sure that CJ is going to get tested quite a bit this summer by the Texan's staff as this is a part of his game that he's going to have to develop.

C.J. Stroud didn’t perform well under pressure at Ohio State, but Houston’s offensive line could help mitigate that problem. Tunsil is still playing like a top-five offensive tackle, while trade acquisition Mason is as steady as they come.
Green, the 15th pick of the 2022 draft, has better play in him than he showed during his rookie season. Scruggs, the No. 175 player on PFN’s Industry Consensus Board, was overdrafted in the second round.
We have a history of bad offensive lines and/or bad offensive line play and so we're a little touchy about the subject. We have very low expectations, which is why a lot of us were gunshy about a QB prospect with a reputation (deserved or not) of not performing well when things broke down.

When the team started back in 2002 with David Carr, the line didn't play well. But when it started to gell, he still sucked and his poor play made the line look even worse than it was.

Our line improved during the Kubiak era, and then under O'Brien, things got bad again. Some of that might have been putting too much responsibility for making line calls on a young QB and/or on a QB who held the ball too long waiting to make big splash plays. And then last season, OMG, the interior line play was absolutely terrifying.

Over the past couple of years, Caserio has made some moves that we all hope will significantly improve the line play, including bringing in new coaches with hopefully better schemes.

So, like I said, some of us bear the scars of that and we're hoping that our pass blocking improves and when it breaks down, that CJ will be the player in that Georgia game. I expect us to give him plenty of time, but those scars run deep.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I agree that scruggs was overdrafted however, if he becomes a 10 to 15 year player who will care?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
C.J. Stroud didn’t perform well under pressure at Ohio State, but Houston’s offensive line could help mitigate that problem.
The only thing that's going to help Cj is being able to see what's happening & getting the ball to the right guy as quick as he can.

The NFL is going to find a way to generate pressure when the risk is low for getting burnt.

If he's a rhythm guy, which he looks like to me, it should be relatively easy for Slowick to get him quick easy targets.

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
The only thing that's going to help Cj is being able to see what's happening & getting the ball to the right guy as quick as he can.

The NFL is going to find a way to generate pressure when the risk is low for getting burnt.

If he's a rhythm guy, which he looks like to me, it should be relatively easy for Slowick to get him quick easy targets.
I think the main thing for CJ, in the beginning, is don't turn it over and throw away the ball rather than take a sack. Hopefully, the game will slow down for him and the offense will begin to gel early in the season and they can be at least an average NFL offense. With the apparent improvements on D Houston should be MUCH improved as in an 8-win season improved.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I think the main thing for CJ, in the beginning, is don't turn it over and throw away the ball rather than take a sack. Hopefully, the game will slow down for him and the offense will begin to gel early in the season and they can be at least an average NFL offense. With the apparent improvements on D Houston should be MUCH improved as in an 8-win season improved.
Know your a Buckeye die hard fan but by any chance did you see Deshaun Watson play @ Clemson in College days? If so how do they compare in your opinion?

gs27

Veteran
Know your a Buckeye die hard fan but by any chance did you see Deshaun Watson play @ Clemson in College days? If so how do they compare in your opinion?
Question wasn't directed at me but as a Buckeye fan I watched every game of Stroud's and alot of Deshaun's, including the 2016 semi-final.

They are polar opposites in my opinion. Watson is a gamer but doesn't have close to the arm talent Stroud has. Stroud is elite in aticipation and accuracy. Watson is a better athlete, much more competitive, and makes defenses respect his ability to pick up yards with his legs.

Up until the Georgia game, picking up yards on the ground when available was something Stroud wasn't willing to do. Much of his struggles against pressure wasn't from blitzes or quick pressures, his line gave up very few of those. They came mostly when he refused to take the rush lanes given by the defense. I can't say if it was coaching or Stroud's reluctance but multiple times a game he would have opportunities to pick up easy 1st downs but would hold the ball and take a sack or throw it out of bounds. Against Georgia he took what the defense gave him and played a great game, which the Buckeyes had won twice if not for a couple very controversial calls.

Stroud is a rare example of a QB that will have less talent at receiver when moving from college to NFL. Facing better DBs with lesser WRs, if Stroud is reluctant to do everything in his power to win games it will show very quickly.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Question wasn't directed at me but as a Buckeye fan I watched every game of Stroud's and alot of Deshaun's, including the 2016 semi-final.

They are polar opposites in my opinion. Watson is a gamer but doesn't have close to the arm talent Stroud has. Stroud is elite in aticipation and accuracy. Watson is a better athlete, much more competitive, and makes defenses respect his ability to pick up yards with his legs.

Up until the Georgia game, picking up yards on the ground when available was something Stroud wasn't willing to do. Much of his struggles against pressure wasn't from blitzes or quick pressures, his line gave up very few of those. They came mostly when he refused to take the rush lanes given by the defense. I can't say if it was coaching or Stroud's reluctance but multiple times a game he would have opportunities to pick up easy 1st downs but would hold the ball and take a sack or throw it out of bounds. Against Georgia he took what the defense gave him and played a great game, which the Buckeyes had won twice if not for a couple very controversial calls.

Stroud is a rare example of a QB that will have less talent at receiver when moving from college to NFL. Facing better DBs with lesser WRs, if Stroud is reluctant to do everything in his power to win games it will show very quickly.
Very accurate breakdowns of players.

Wonder about Ryan Day and his impact on Stroud vs Justin Fields when it comes to rushing department? Stroud sure seems like more of a traditional QB than a read option like Fields who has elite running skills and speed. Stroud also has a much more accurate arm as you pointed out vs DW, throw Fields in that as well. Stroud is a more fluid, smooth athlete than overpowering athletically gifted violent runner, relying on IQ (S2 measures cognitive reaction time primarily not total processing functioning). In Strouds own words about Justin Fields, “He ain’t no damn running back. He’s a quarterback. He can sling that rock," Stroud said. "I don’t want to go there. That’s his team.” Yet, Justin Fields was the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback prospect in the 2018 recruiting class and the No. 2 player nationally, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Fields 2019
3,273 yards passing 41 Touchdowns 3 Interceptions and 484 yards 10 TDs rushing.
Fields 2020 (shortened Covid season)
2,100 yards passing 22 Touchdowns 6 Interceptions and 383 yards 5 TDs rushing.

Stroud 2021
4,435 yards passing 44 Touchdowns 6 Interceptions and negative 20 yards 0 TD’s rushing.
Stroud 2022
3688 yards passing 41 Touchdowns 6 Interceptions and 108 yards 0 TDs rushing.

For reference, Shane Day was Buckeye Head Coach starting in 2019. Which really showcases the differences between skill sets.

Texan OL should provide better pass pro, for one upgraded personnel two better system fit to balance the run & pass. Very impressed with transitional changes being made to both. Anyone else say Juice Scruggs is a reach because Texans drafted him end of second round, will find a legitimate starting NFL center to groom with a franchise QB, don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. Both edges are set and should get elite guard play. Only thing that scares the hell out of me is depth. Loose a starter, will create some matchup nightmares, loose a couple it could double the nightmares.

I’ve watched the Chargers, totally rebuild their OL for Justin Herbert. It’s taken them 3 full seasons and a lot of heartbreak (due to injuries) that have derailed them. For the Texans to do it in only two seasons maybe a reach, but like direction and pieces in place. Slowik won’t expose Stroud unnecessarily but he will be asked to run more to convert those third down situations and breakdowns in coverage you can bet on that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Questionable calls? Rah Rah, can I dot the I?

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
I know Ohio State wanted Watson BAD but he unfortunately ended up at Clemson. But to answer your question, I did NOT watch a lot of him. He certainly played well against Ohio State and Alabama. He was a great college QB!

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
Wonder about Ryan Day and his impact on Stroud vs Justin Fields when it comes to rushing department?
I think Day told Stroud to run as little as possible because he was our franchise QB and the ticket to a possible B1G championship and national championship. In the Georgia game Stroud DID run the ball and actually ran well.

Day's predecessor, Urban Meyer, had man-love for running QB's that couldn't hit a bus from twenty yards. I used to cry like a little girl about his obsession with running QB's, who invariably got hurt and couldn't finish the season over multiple years.

I was thrilled when Day arrived and placed a pro-style offense at Ohio State. Thereafter we were able to recruit elite throwing QB's and ELITE wide receivers.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Questionable calls? Rah Rah, can I dot the I?
It’s refreshing to hear outside viewpoints that are smart, analytical with insight/content, applicable to how we got here and where it could lead us. Absolutely love these two posters (Buckeye Homer and Gs27 bring) thoughts on subject.

As it relates to pass pro rankings for Texan 2023 it’s just like pissing in the wind, all opinion because nobody knows? This is a whole new brand. You’re a big OL knowledgeable build trenches first guy, how about Scruggs? We talked day before draft and he was already moving up, based off reports of numerous teams interest. Big Tunsil fan, Carr never had that. We should see the real Keynon Green, fully healthy and better coached. Big off-season acquisition RG Shaq Mason. Tytus Howard “the real reach” entrenched @ RT. Like I said it all depends how healthy this unit remains over course of the season.

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
It’s refreshing to hear outside viewpoints that are smart, analytical with insight/content, applicable to how we got here and where it could lead us. Absolutely love these two posters (Buckeye Homer and Gs27 bring) thoughts on subject.

As it relates to pass pro rankings for Texan 2023 it’s just like pissing in the wind, all opinion because nobody knows? This is a whole new brand. You’re a big OL knowledgeable build trenches first guy, how about Scruggs? We talked day before draft and he was already moving up, based off reports of numerous teams interest. Big Tunsil fan, Carr never had that. We should see the real Keynon Green, fully healthy and better coached. Big off-season acquisition RG Shaq Mason. Tytus Howard “the real reach” entrenched @ RT. Like I said it all depends how healthy this unit remains over course of the season.
Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome. I must say this community is special.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I enjoy different viewpoints, I was just messing with him.

Really wanted JMS and had Tipmann, Mauch, Wypler rated above Scruggs. However watching Scruggs at the Shrine game he really impressed me. Scruggs is a big strong tough guy. He won't get pushed back into the QBs lap like Q did last yr. Reason why I didn't have Scruggs rated higher was I didn't think he was a good fit in the ZBS. I really was hoping Caserio would trade up for JMS.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
We were so poor we could not afford snow. Anyone else ever used the small brown lunch bags?
We could rarely afford them but used them when we could. We had pockets though

badboy

Hall of Fame
We could rarely afford them but used them when we could. We had pockets though
I guess it's not funny but i had to bring my bag home to use again. Wax paper wrapped sandwich. The owner of the local meat market saved the ends of luncheon meats for mom as he didn’t sell them. Chopped ham came in large cans opened with a small key to unlock/unzip the top.
Dad delivered Mrs. Bairds bread so the butcher liked us. Often he would buy me a root beer when I rode with dad on Saturdays. At 10, it was my first job. Pay not so much, often a lunch with dad on the route and sometimes a package of cup cakes or powdered donuts.

Memories...

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I guess it's not funny but i had to bring my bag home to use again. Wax paper wrapped sandwich. The owner of the local meat market saved the ends of luncheon meats for mom as he didn’t sell them. Chopped ham came in large cans opened with a small key to unlock/unzip the top.
Dad delivered Mrs. Bairds bread so the butcher liked us. Often he would buy me a root beer when I rode with dad on Saturdays. At 10, it was my first job. Pay not so much, often a lunch with dad on the route and sometimes a package of cup cakes or powdered donuts.

Memories...
Sounds so familiar... my dad also delivered bread as one of his first jobs

edo783

Hall of Fame
I'm sure everyone has heard the joke about walking to school and it was uphill both ways. The weird thing is that it was for me. I walked over a moderately high ridge to get to school. I walked uphill going (downhill obviously on the other side of the ridge) and then it was uphill again after school going back over the ridge. I lived in Northern Wisconsin then and it was about 1.5 miles to the school. In winter with the snow up to your waist made it more than a little difficult to get to school. I chuckle all the time these days that they close the schools if just a couple inches of snow fall. Mine never closed unless the snow plow couldn't get through or the heat was out in the school.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I'm sure everyone has heard the joke about walking to school and it was uphill both ways. The weird thing is that it was for me. I walked over a moderately high ridge to get to school. I walked uphill going (downhill obviously on the other side of the ridge) and then it was uphill again after school going back over the ridge. I lived in Northern Wisconsin then and it was about 1.5 miles to the school. In winter with the snow up to your waist made it more than a little difficult to get to school. I chuckle all the time these days that they close the schools if just a couple inches of snow fall. Mine never closed unless the snow plow couldn't get through or the heat was out in the school.
Yup. I lived in International Falls AKA “The Icebox of the Nation”. My son was 5-8 years old… and they never once closed school… even when it was dumping feets of snow. The kicker? Being in first grade and recess is -outside-. The only time they let the kids do recess inside is if it’s -22 below or colder. Otherwise… play outside! Damned be the snow. We loved it there. I miss it terribly. I will return one day.

Speaking of Northern Wisconsin. I’ve been up there the past two weeks and will remain so for the next few weeks for work. Mercer is one of my favorite places. Great snowmobiling trails. I love the Northwoods.

Reactions: JB