Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

The XFL RE-Revival Not an Outlandish Possibility

OptimisticTexan

2021 Building Block 1 / Go Texans
I'm not sure it works that way but it is definitely an interesting thought. Especially for the quarterbacks they can pick where they want to go
CFL players are free to sign with any NFL team that makes them an offer from what I understand. Matter of a fact, I don't think there's ever been a CFL player drafted after playing in the NFL....they were signed as FA's. Technically, XFL players would fall into the same situation. A season being paid as a professional football player eliminates their amateur status....making them a FA should the NFL come calling. Trevor Lawrence would be free to sign with the highest bidder.....and at a FA contract. I truly hope the Rock is looking at this opportunity square in the eye as more CFB Conferemces decide to cancel their 2020 seasons.

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
CFL players are free to sign with any NFL team that makes them an offer from what I understand. Matter of a fact, I don't think there's ever been a CFL player drafted after playing in the NFL....they were signed as FA's. Technically, XFL players would fall into the same situation. A season being paid as a professional football player eliminates their amateur status....making them a FA should the NFL come calling. Trevor Lawrence would be free to sign with the highest bidder.....and at a FA contract. I truly hope the Rock is looking at this opportunity square in the eye as more CFB Conferemces decide to cancel their 2020 seasons.
Trevor Lawrence should go back to school if not playing in 2020

OptimisticTexan

2021 Building Block 1 / Go Texans
Trevor Lawrence should go back to school if not playing in 2020
He probably should.....but why wouldn't he jump at the opportunity to play 2020 as a professional athlete on a one year deal. Benefit, he'd be a free agent professional football player n 2021.....free to sign with any team he wishes.....and at a contract that would dwarf his rookie contract should he choose to sit out 2020 and enter the NFL Draft instead.

Of course, there would be a risk associated with this move. Take a Lloyd's of London insurance policy to cover a potential career ending injury. The upside, he selects the organization he wishes to play for instead of the organization selecting him.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
THE ROCK REVEALS WHY HE PURCHASED THE XFL
STEPHAN RACHUKSEPTEMBER 8, 2020NEWS

The XFL is returning once again, thanks to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital. The Rock explained on Monday why he was so interested in buying the XFL after the league filed for bankruptcy earlier this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Johnson was a defensive tackle at the University of Miami and was a member of the 1991 national championship team. Following his graduation in 1995, he headed north and joined the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders. He spent two months on the team’s practice roster before eventually being cut. Despite failing to make his professional football dreams a reality in the CFL, Johnson is still thankful for the experience. He says it helped shape him into the superstar he is today.

Johnson’s love for the XFL and the opportunities the league gives players looking to make a name for themselves was one of the primary reasons he purchased the league this year. He’s hoping he can create those opportunities for more players in coming years.

Johnson reaffirmed his reasoning for being part of the group that purchased the XFL on Twitter Monday afternoon. The Rock is determined to build a league which allows players to “live their dreams” and “take care of their families.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
What culture is that? I would think enticements to players could be roles in movies, tv reality gigs and rasslen.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
We had the best team in the XFL the last go around, we'll probably have the worst next time. LOL

badboy

Hall of Fame
No merger

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
No merger
Could have been interesting, but the travel situation would have been a nightmare.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
What kind of field were they planning to play on anyway? Canadian size or American size? Expanding the CFL into American has been tried already, and of course failed. Also I don't think the CFL is going to suddenly adopt American size fields to play on. Still an interesting idea. Maybe Houston can get a CFL expansion franchise when they get their NHL team. LOL

badboy

Hall of Fame
What kind of field were they planning to play on anyway? Canadian size or American size? Expanding the CFL into American has been tried already, and of course failed. Also I don't think the CFL is going to suddenly adopt American size fields to play on. Still an interesting idea. Maybe Houston can get a CFL expansion franchise when they get their NHL team. LOL
I am not sure that they got to negotiations over the size of the field.