Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Texans DC Wade Phillips, who was scheduled to interview for the Buccaneers HC job Friday, told Tampa Bayt hat he was pulling out of process

1272588552.gif

I don't hold nothing against any man wanting to better himself. But for a guy who wants to be a head coach, he's got to know not to talk about being a head coach when you're making a play-off run.

I don't fault him for the timing of the interview, he can't really control that. But when a reporter asked him way back, he should have been mum in the media.

Let his agent handle all that business stuff, it didn't need to be in the media. I bet, it was the first time the team heard about it, the players... I bet the first time they heard about Wade wanting to be a head coach was in the media........

so wrong.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Texans DC Wade Phillips, who was scheduled to interview for the Buccaneers HC job Friday, told Tampa Bayt hat he was pulling out of process

Well good for him.

Now what do y'all think about dropping Kubiak (or promoting him to a silent position) promoting Wade to HC & hiring Hugh Jackson to run the offense?

Just caught something retweeted by Adam Clanton from Adam Scheffler:

@adamclanton RT @adamschefter: #Texans DC Wade Phillips, scheduled to interview for Bucs HC job Fri, told Tampa Bay that he was pulling out of process

Me:

CustomJerseyDouche @Texan_Bill @adamclanton @adamschefter *Texan_Bill* does a "happy dance*

:texanbill:

Yay Wade! Before this thread I didn't even know the glazer family owned the bucs. /throwup. One of the 2 monopolies in the liquor business, so many times did I have that company try to charge for crap they never shipped. grrrr. /personal rant over

If we end up losing Wade as HC somewhere let it never be to Them. At least ditch us for a team that will try to win :)

Around 2:30 this afternoon, I posted this in the "LIVE: Texans Thursday After Practice" thread:

Somehow Wade didn't look like he wanted to be there. No smile. No humor. Flat affect. Almost looked like someone who was angered prior to going on camera.

But maybe I'm the only one that came away with that impression.

Something evidently went down that left Wade in a not so great mood........probably the same thing that led or forced him to take his name out of the hat.

Around 2:30 this afternoon, I posted this in the "LIVE: Texans Thursday After Practice" thread:

Something evidently went down that left Wade in a not so great mood........probably the same thing that led or forced him to take his name out of the hat.

Tampa having their guy might have something to do with that. Basically telling Wade "Nah, we're good". Tough on him I'm sure, since he wants to coach again.

Could it be that he got some bad news from his doctors? :shrug:

Doc, did you happen to write the TV show "Lie to me" or "Mentalist"? Nice catch anyway.

Go Texans!!!

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman
Wade Phillips confirms he will not interview with Tampa because he wants to be with the Texans and does not want to be a distraction.

Maybe his daddy beat that ass lol :vincepalm:

I'm one that thinks there's more to his medical condition than meets the public eye! Truthfully, it's none of our business! But, every interview I've listened to he sounds weak and out of breath. He just does not look well TO ME!! JMO!

Wade Phillips confirms he will not interview with Tampa because he wants to be with the Texans and does not want to be a distraction.

Beat me to it... BUT, and I mean a HUGE Butt ((and I cannot lie, all you other brothers (DREAD-HEAD) can not deny))...... Sorry about the digression, "Daddy" didn't "beat that ass", but I do think "Daddy" had a lot to do with him turning the interview down....

Now, all that said, maybe the Bucs decided that they wanted to go a different direction and want to entertain a more offensive minded coach that can cultivate Josh Freeman. (Just a thought).

Just watch how Wade walks during practice. If he is limping, Bum did whip his behind LOL

Wonderful to know Wade is staying.

Go Wade!!!
Go Texans!!!

Beat me to it... BUT, and I mean a HUGE Butt ((and I cannot lie, all you other brothers (DREAD-HEAD) can not deny))...... Sorry about the digression, "Daddy" didn't "beat that ass", but I do think "Daddy" had a lot to do with him turning the interview down....

Now, all that said, maybe the Bucs decided that they wanted to go a different direction and want to entertain a more offensive minded coach that can cultivate Josh Freeman. (Just a thought).

Maybe, but I doubt thy decided, and if they did I doubt Wade would have said he wanted to stay here, he would have said they hired someone else....I think he just wants to be here

And for him looking like death today, it was 40 degrees and windy the guy is old, he don't like outdoor practices lol, I bet he is in the booth again this week...

I saw another person saying this on CF...where are you guys seeing/hearing this rumor?

Some of the writers have just taken the list of Tampa interviewees and made them potential candidates for other teams seeking an HC in their writings.

The Raiders have had 6 HCs since 2002.......none of which have produced a winning season. I'm not sure that Wade would enter into such a skewed lose-lose situation, especially since it appears that despite Big Al's death, the way the organization is being run has not changed, nor is it expected to.

In 2010, Kiffin was the lowest paid HC in the NFL..........$1,250,000............and in the next couple of years, the Raiders draft pool will be low with slim pickings for a "grocery list" for an incoming HC.

I'm one that thinks there's more to his medical condition than meets the public eye! Truthfully, it's none of our business! But, every interview I've listened to he sounds weak and out of breath. He just does not look well TO ME!! JMO!
He looks awful to me but then he was talking about being on the field Sunday and I thought my eyes deceived me.

Nothing wrong with my eyes and something was wrong with him after practice today. I hope all is right with the world again tomorrow.

Texans' Phillips pulls out as candidate to be Bucs' head coach
NFL.com
Jan. 12, 2012 at 09:21 p.m.

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has pulled his name out of consideration for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head-coaching job, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Phillips, in his first season with the Texans, was scheduled to meet with the Buccaneers on Friday to discuss the opening created by the firing of Raheem Morris.

While Texans coach Gary Kubiak wasn't concerned about the interview, Phillips told the Houston Chronicle he withdrew from the job "because I want to be here and don't want to be a distraction." The Texans face the Baltimore Ravens Sunday in an AFC Divisional Playoff Game.

The Bucs have interviewed former NFL head coaches Brad Childress and Marty Schottenheimer, as well as Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman.

La Canfora has reported Sherman is well-positioned as the favorite for the position.

Was all this a ploy to dig a little deeper into Uncle Bob's pockets? If so, he needs to cut a commission check to McClain... instigating little cuss.

He looks awful to me but then he was talking about being on the field Sunday and I thought my eyes deceived me.

Nothing wrong with my eyes and something was wrong with him after practice today. I hope all is right with the world again tomorrow.

Maybe he's just exhausted. IIRC, they said it takes about 7-10 of rest to recover from the surgery he had. It's probably taking him a lot longer though with the stress of the playoffs these last two weeks.

Wade Phillips Chooses Not to Interview With Tampa Bay
Updated: Thursday, 12 Jan 2012, 8:32 PM CST
Published : Thursday, 12 Jan 2012, 8:04 PM CST

MARK BERMAN
Sports Director

HOUSTON - Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips confirmed for FOX 26 Sports he has chosen not to interview Friday with Tampa Bay officials in an effort to become the Buccaneers next head coach.

"I want to be here, that's what it really came down to," Phillips said. "I didn't want to be a distraction whatsoever, whether that was perceived or not.

"People talking about you interviewing on your day off and all that stuff. If you don't do well, always people are going to say that was a distraction. I sure don't want to be a distraction for this team at this time. That was part of it too.

The Texans play the Ravens Sunday in Baltimore in the divisional playoffs.

Phillips acknowledged that withdrawing from consideration for the Buccaneers' job was a hard decision.

"Yea, a little a bit because I certainly have ambitions," Phillips said. "You have to do what's best for you and your family and that's what I feel like I'm doing."

Texans inside linebacker Brian Cushing is thrilled to hear the news that Phillips will continue as his defensive coordinator.

"Extremely happy," said Cushing in a text message to FOX 26 Sports. "Hope to have something going here for a long time."

That's fantastic! If I remember correctly, he had only stated that he thought he should be considered for a head coaching position and thought that his resume warranted it. I also know he said he didn't want to be a HC again and that was why he want back to being a DC. Maybe he just wanted the recognition and ego stroke of the offer. Uncle Bob could have also told him he'd pay him more money to stay. Either way, I'm glad he's here. He's a great DC and we would definitely feel that loss.

It's stupid ****e like this why I have posted less and less...

HEY! NOOBS, do a search before starting a new thread!!

SMH! FML! :gun:

Glad to hear it, no matter how many times it's been said before (this is the first I'm hearing of it).

Also, I thought that Jeff Fisher was on their list?

Some of you people get way to anal about this thread posting stuff. Is the other thread not called 'WADE TO INTERVIEW FOR TB"???

Is this one not titled "PHILLIPS PULLS OUT"???

Seems like 2 totally different things to me.

Why don't we just have one thread about all Houston Texans related stuff? No reason to ever start another thread.

Man!! Y'all can come up with some stupid ****!

This is a huge move for the 2012 season. All I can say is: phewww!!!!! Keeping Phillips will pay-off in the draft, in the off-season practice, and in the season/playoffs beyond that. All we need now is to be blessed with a healthy season and we should be favored deep into the playoffs and hopefully get to the final game.

This is a huge move for the 2012 season. All I can say is: phewww!!!!! Keeping Phillips will pay-off in the draft, in the off-season practice, and in the season/playoffs beyond that. All we need now is to be blessed with a healthy season and we should be favored deep into the playoffs and hopefully get to the final game.

That's not what he said. He still has ambitions, he just dont want to be a distraction right now.

That LIVE POST PRACTICE CONFERENCE Video (today's) is no longer available on HoustonTexans.com.........

I don't know if this is the same footage you were referring to, but if you click the link on the page titled "Texans Daily: Defense on main stage" (the second one down) Wade is at the podium starting at the :48 mark, and talks for about 45 seconds.

LINK

Some of you people get way to anal about this thread posting stuff. Is the other thread not called 'WADE TO INTERVIEW FOR TB"???

Is this one not titled "PHILLIPS PULLS OUT"???

Seems like 2 totally different things to me.

Why don't we just have one thread about all Houston Texans related stuff? No reason to ever start another thread.

Man!! Y'all can come up with some stupid ****!

It would seem like it's two different threads to me and deservedly so.

BTW, nobody said a word when I created the thread about injuries after the last game and then somebody came along and created a OD thread. LOL.... :kitten:

I don't know if this is the same footage you were referring to, but if you click the link on the page titled "Texans Daily: Defense on main stage" (the second one down) Wade is at the podium starting at the :48 mark, and talks for about 45 seconds.

LINK

That was just a very short snippet of his original much longer presentation.

Nah, nah, Wade's fine. It went down like this:

Uncle Bob: "Wade, would you mind stepping into my office for a moment?"

Wade: "Sure, Bob....just on my way to get a diet Fanta."

Uncle Bob: "This will only take a moment. Now, please have a seat, and I'm going to write a number down on this piece of paper and you tell me what you think of it."

Uncle Bob: * Scribbles on the paper and then shows the paper to Wade *

Wade: * Considers what's on the paper, mulls it over, but then shows Uncle Bob a thumb-up, yet he moves it upward, as if to say, "Oh, just a little bit higher." *

Uncle Bob: * Grins and then holds up one finger...wait. Uncle Bob scribbles another number and shows this to Wade, assured of himself. *

Wade: * Raises an eyebrow, smiles himself, and then points where his gallbladder used to be, now frowning. He shrugs and then shows Uncle Bob the same upward thumb motion. *

Uncle Bob: * Undetered, he then scribbles another number on the paper, and with a flourish, dots the end of the number and flips the paper around to show Wade. *

Wade: * Stands up quickly, showing no ill effects of the surgery and grins like the Cheshire variety, his arms wide open: * "Boss! Oh, how I love Texas! Screw Florida, I'm here for good! Wait till I tell daddy!"

Uncle Bob & Wade: * They both embrace and Wade walks out of the room, whistling. *

Uncle Bob: * Sags in his chair, placing his hand on his forehead, as he hears the soft click of a six-shooter's hammer fall back to it's un-cocked position. *

Bum: * Holsters his revolver and walks out from behind Uncle Bob's chair, sitting down in front of Uncle Bob, his cowboy hat pushed to the back of his head. *

Uncle Bob: "There! Are you happy, Bum?"

Bum: "Oh, I reckon, but just one more thing to discuss, pardner."

Uncle Bob: "What!?" What more can I do for him, Bum!"

Bum: "Well, son, you ain't no Bud Adams, boy. I'm here to talk about my future in your organization now. I ain't nobody's ballboy, unlike what's his name. I think it's just about my time to kick the goddamn door in!"

the end (for now).

Thank you for posting this. I would not have known had this been thrown in with that other 25 page thread that says he is interviewing for the job.

LINK

That was just a very short snippet of his original much longer presentation.

I dunno guys...
He just looked kinda tired to me. Given that he'd just come from standing around for 3 hrs or so in cold & windy weather (I want one of those jackets by the way) and not really being fully recovered from having body parts removed....

I just didn't get a sense of anger or irritation from his body language.

But Doc is probably better suited to pick up subtle cues like that than I...

Back