Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The USFL is coming back!

They are screwing their TV ratings by putting games on Cable channels. There have been a lot of people drop cable in the last couple years, and go with streaming services. I'm one of them, but the streaming services I use don't carry the channels these games are on. I've been watching the games on the dofusports app.

They are screwing their TV ratings by putting games on Cable channels. There have been a lot of people drop cable in the last couple years, and go with streaming services. I'm one of them, but the streaming services I use don't carry the channels these games are on. I've been watching the games on the dofusports app.
Not to make an excuse for the league but quite a few of the games are on broadcast TV. Fox and NBC are carrying more than their fair share of games.

Last edited:
They're on broadcast TV this coming weekend, so I'll watch them. These guys certainly aren't the Roughnecks, LOL.
They had only three weeks to prepare for the season. Just the same the football improved from week one to week two. Yes there are wrinkles to iron out but there has been some nice plays and solid football just the same! When taking everything into consideration I don't think it has been all that bad!

They had only three weeks to prepare for the season. Just the same the football improved from week one to week two. Yes there are wrinkles to iron out but there has been some nice plays and solid football just the same! When taking everything into consideration I don't think it has been all that bad!

The problem is fuboTV costs about $70 a month. If the Gamblers excite me enough, I'll activate the subscription for a month and a half or so to watch the rest of the season. I'm not not ready to pull that trigger yet. Fox and NBC will carry two games each weekend (supposedly) and I already have USA from a base cable TV subscription I have with my comcast internet. If I can't hit those three, then I'll just be outa luck. LOL

Well I don’t think we have the next Jim Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A new league with only three weeks for the players to prepare for the regular season it is not suprise that there will be some sloppy and inconsistent football for three or four weeks. Already from week one to week two there has been some exciting plays and better football being played. Give it time. I doubt there any Jim Kelly's regardless, but the play will get better.

A new league with only three weeks for the players to prepare for the regular season it is not suprise that there will be some sloppy and inconsistent football for three or four weeks. Already from week one to week two there has been some exciting plays and better football being played. Give it time.

It’s minor league football. It is what it is. It’s not meant to compete with or have the caliber of play of the NFL. Enjoy it like you would the Space Cowboys.

I doubt there any Jim Kelly's regardless, but the play will get better.

You don’t have to doubt it. There’s not. This isn’t like the old USFL where they were competing with the NFL, drafting high profile guys like Kelly, Herschel Walker and Reggie White, away from the NFL.

I really don’t care what their attendance or ratings are as long as there’s something where these guys can get experience which will only make the NFL game better in the end.

week 3 Gamblers game is on Fox, and Gamblers week 4 game is on NBC. So the next two weeks are on free broadcast TV.

Not to make an excuse for the league but quite a few of the games are on broadcast TV. Fox and NBC are carrying more than their fair share of games.
I get the local Fox channel over the air, but I don't get NBC. Since I don't have cable, I don't have the ability to watch on USA or FS1. My only TV option is if the game is shown on the local Fox channel. I'm not complaining about NBC, because that's just a local thing. Hell, I can watch all of the games on the dofusports app. My biggest complaint is there is no consistency in which channel the game is going to be on. In the NFL, the AFC games are generally on CBS, and the NFC games are generally on Fox. The exceptions are the special time slot games. The USFL only has 4 games each week. There is no need for 4 channels.

The teams may have only had 3 weeks to practice, but they've been preparing the TV deals for much longer. I should know that the game is going to be shown on a certain day & time each week, on a specific channel without having to go search to find out how to watch it each week.

This what happens when new sports leagues are "funded" by seedy investors.

AAF’s initial lead investor pleads guilty in cryptocurrency scheme

April 26, 2022, 1:41 PM EDT

Nearly three years after he was indicted, Reginald Fowler has pleaded guilty to federal charges arising from an alleged cryptocurrency scheme. He was the initial lead investor in the Alliance of American Football, a spring league that arrived — and quickly died — in 2019.

Via the Associated Press, a U.S. attorney said in a statement that Fowler “helped process hundreds of millions of dollars of unregulated transactions on behalf of numerous cryptocurrency exchanges, skirting the anti-money laundering safeguards required of licensed institutions that ensure the U.S. financial system is not used for criminal purposes.”

Prosecutors also claimed that Fowler had lied to AAF executives when he claimed that he controlled bank accounts containing “tens of millions” from real-estate investments and government contracts. The AAF failed miserably during its first season, due to a lack of money to keep the operation afloat.

Fowler tried to buy the Vikings in 2005. He was a minority owner of the franchise through 2014.

The problem is fuboTV costs about $70 a month. If the Gamblers excite me enough, I'll activate the subscription for a month and a half or so to watch the rest of the season. I'm not not ready to pull that trigger yet. Fox and NBC will carry two games each weekend (supposedly) and I already have USA from a base cable TV subscription I have with my comcast internet. If I can't hit those three, then I'll just be outa luck. LOL

1651010058708.png

I get the local Fox channel over the air, but I don't get NBC. Since I don't have cable, I don't have the ability to watch on USA or FS1. My only TV option is if the game is shown on the local Fox channel. I'm not complaining about NBC, because that's just a local thing. Hell, I can watch all of the games on the dofusports app. My biggest complaint is there is no consistency in which channel the game is going to be on. In the NFL, the AFC games are generally on CBS, and the NFC games are generally on Fox. The exceptions are the special time slot games. The USFL only has 4 games each week. There is no need for 4 channels.

The teams may have only had 3 weeks to practice, but they've been preparing the TV deals for much longer. I should know that the game is going to be shown on a certain day & time each week, on a specific channel without having to go search to find out how to watch it each week.
Here are a couple of games you should be able to watch on Saturday. One of the games is Gamblers game.
https://www.theusfl.com/week-3-tampa-bay-bandits-vs-houston-gamblers-apr-30-2022-game-boxscore-9
https://www.theusfl.com/week-3-birm...orleans-breakers-apr-30-2022-game-boxscore-11

Last edited:
I've watched parts of a few games. The talent level is pathetic and is not worth watching. This will be another league that does not make it.

I've watched parts of a few games. The talent level is pathetic and is not worth watching. This will be another league that does not make it.
None of these leagues were ever counting on talent to "make it". It was going to be minor league football at best and anyone who thought otherwise should just give up on thinking. But if one of these leagues can get NFL backing (money) where it can be something where players can gain experience, get coached up and maybe learn how to play NFL football, it can only help the NFL game.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the NFL over the last several years has fewer and fewer practices, and now fewer preseason games, for these young players to learn and get coached up.

Sumlin
This spit is almost weekly now...nephew (Chris Odom) plays well and they manage to blow the game anyway.

2.5 sacks
2 forced fumbles
1 tackle for loss
1 blocked field goal
Sumlin isn't a good football coach. That is all.

Reactions: JB
I didn't see the Gamblers game today, but the standings show they lost. There are three teams in the USFL that are 1-6 and the gamblers are one of them. What a drop down from the Roughnecks.

I've seen three or four Gambler games, and they just don't look good. They sometimes show flashes of being good, but just never pull through.

I watched about a quarter and a half of the 1st game, and that's all of the USFL I've seen. Other than a few highlights.

Follow it on Twitter a little bit and from what I can gather, the Gamblers seem to think a USFL game is only 3 quarters long.

I sure would like to see the Texans sign Turpin from the USFL. That guys electric. Slot WR/PR.. A threat to score every time he touches the ball.

In addition to signing Odom.

The championship game was entertaining. Glad to see one of these spring leagues finally finish a season. LOL
Would have liked it even better if both starting QB's could have made it the entire way. That Cookus was impressive

Would have liked it even better if both starting QB's could have made it the entire way. That Cookus was impressive

Yes he was. I was rooting for Philly because they were the underdogs, and I liked their uniforms better. I thought it funny that the only team to beat the Birmingham Stallions this year was our poor sad sack Gamblers. It was one of their three wins. Depending on his injury, Cookus could very well get a try out by an NFL team. Our Roughnecks lost their QB to the NFL, but he never did anything in the NFL that I remember.

Cookus looked impressive in USFL football games but Kyle Sloter has looked every bit as impressive in NFL preseason games. I realize Kyle had some interception issues while in the USFL but I tend to think the real Kyle Sloter is the one I saw look very impressive in preseason games for both the Broncos and the Vikings.

Cookus looked impressive in USFL football games but Kyle Sloter has looked every bit as impressive in NFL preseason games. I realize Kyle had some interception issues while in the USFL but I tend to think the real Kyle Sloter is the one I saw look very impressive in preseason games for both the Broncos and the Vikings.
I never saw (or don't remember ) Sloter play. Who was he with?

Back