Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The USFL is coming back!

Isn't it the same as in the previous USFL?
I think so but I didn't like it back then either but to be fair I did not like the Texans Bull on the helmet when it first came out either. I actually like it a lot now.

I think so but I didn't like it back then either but to be fair I did not like the Texans Bull on the helmet when it first came out either. I actually like it a lot now.

I've always liked their helmets, it's their name that took me a while to get used to.

Reactions: JB
I'm guessing they'll look a lot like the Roughnecks did. A bunch of players who can't quite make it in the NFL. This ain't going to be like before where they were getting top talent, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, etc.

The AFL successfully competed against the NFL by taking CFB talent away from the NFL in a day and time when it possible to do it financially. NFL seen the writing on the wall and eventually merged. I always wondered what may have happened if the two leagues had continued to compete for professional football fans.

The USFL tried to see if they could force history to repeat itself. They were trying to compete with a now financially formidable NFL and they learned a very hard lesson. The only reason they were able to draft and convince CFB players to bypass their NFL dreams for their new league was money…..lots of money…..more money than what the NFL was going to offer. This became a big mistake. The next mistake was thinking fans would fully support their league in the Spring and pick the USFL over MLB. Another mistake. The USFL just couldn’t get the same coverage, support, or money as the NFL which led to their inability to pay the team(s) overhead. This league went broke. The final mistake.

Each and every Professional Football League since then has tried to create a Spring following, tried to create a much lower overhead, while rolling out a lower quality product on the field and playing games in smaller venues. They continue to fail and at a much quicker pace. I don’t think anyone or league is going to perfect this b/c they continue to follow the same formula that has failed each and every time tried since the success of the old AFL.

I’ve expressed the idea that any new league could try to become an endorsed developmental league of the NFL and play their season in the Fall/Winter so they’d play their games while football fandom is at its peak. Sure it would cost money to be successful but it beats going losing everything while filing bankruptcy.

If a new league has no desire to seek an NFL endorsement due to the cost…..then the next viable product is CFB, which in my book has been absolutely cashing in on “free labor”. But they’re getting a college degree!!! They’re getting a college degree if they have a real desire to do so while many programs view those young men as athlete/students first and foremost or cash cows for the school. I do believe that any league wanting to truly compete could go the route of allowing those HS athletes wishing to play professional football for money would have that option. They’d get to focus all their time and effort towards their craft and most importantly…..enter the NFL as an UFA when they’re ready to make the move. This new league could eventually find themselves in a situation much like the old AFL….the NFL coming to them, not about a merger, but how to bring this talent through their NFL Draft system. It’d be a big bargaining chip in the overall scheme of things. Oh, this new league should also focus on playing their games in the Fall/Winter to capture football fans at their best.

I'm guessing they'll look a lot like the Roughnecks did. A bunch of players who can't quite make it in the NFL. This ain't going to be like before where they were getting top talent, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, etc.
I don't see it being like the old USFL when it comes to acquiring talent. However I would love to see the current USFL starting slow and if all goes well they will be more aggressive in going after talent. I doubt that happens but I can atleast dream. Sometimes dreams come true.

Last edited:
One of the things I loved about the USFL was how most of their names, logos and uniforms were even better than those of the NFL. So while the USFL 2 may not be anything like the first USFL when it comes to talent and quality of play I hope they look as good as those original teams did. I do hope the quality of football will be at least good. I found I liked the quality of football that the XFL 2 had. If the USFL 2 is at least that good I will happy.

One of the things I loved about the USFL was how most of their names, logos and uniforms were even better than those of the NFL. So while the USFL 2 may not be anything like the first USFL when it comes to talent and quality of play I hope they look as good as those original teams did. I do hope the quality of football will be at least good. I found I liked the quality of football that the XFL 2 had. If the USFL 2 is at least that good I will happy.

I always liked the Generals helmet from a pure aesthetics standpoint first and the Gamblers helmet second.

My thoughts on the USFL 2.

I would expect ticket prices to be reasonable but based on how much the league is charging for Tee shirts I feel they may overhcharge for tickets. Also they may overcharge for concessions. Not to mention their weak ass webpage and run of the mill expensive merchandise. With a league tied to Fox sports I expect a much better webpage and better fair priced merchandise.

I am not too concerend with leagues playing in the spring/summer months but what does concern me is mismanagement. I see things I don't like already when it comes to the new USFL. Unless things change by no later than next month, I don't have much faith in the leagues success.

A little five minute mention of the teams and schedule in the new USFL on FS1 with Colin Cowherd is not enough to instill much confidence.

If they really wanted to instill confidence they would use their regular Fox channel to have an all out press conference with almost all the information released.

I am not a spring/summer football detractor but I am an honest football fan who does not see much to inspire me when it comes to USFL 2.

Last edited:
Kevin Sumlin head coach of the Gamblers?

Chronicle article: https://www.chron.com/sports/texans...uston-Gamblers-USFL-head-coaches-16753819.php

Former University of Houston and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin will be the head coach of the USFL's Houston Gamblers.

According to ESPN's Cole Cubelic, the other coaches in the Southern Division will be former Auburn coach Gene Chizik (Birmingham Stallions), former Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley (Tampa Bay Bandits) and former Toronto Argonauts head coach Bart Andrus (New Orleans Breakers).

I only hope Sumlin is bringing the Run-N-Shoot with him. It made his name in Houston and when he moved away from it at A&M….it eventually cost him his job. I’ll be pulling for him to bring some exciting football back to Houston.

I only hope Sumlin is bringing the Run-N-Shoot with him. It made his name in Houston and when he moved away from it at A&M….it eventually cost him his job. I’ll be pulling for him to bring some exciting football back to Houston.
I went back to following cougar football while someone was here.

And now a new Arena football league is starting up for 2022 in Texas. The Houston team is called the Texas Jets. No, I'm not joking.

It has expanded to six teams for the 2022 season with franchises located throughout the state. They include the Amarillo Venom, the West Texas (Odessa) Warbirds, the Texas (Houston) Jets, the Rio Grande Valley Dorados, the Texas (North Richland Hills) Crude and the North Texas (Ft. Worth) Bulls.

https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/pr-arena-football-association-expands-to-six-teams-in-2022/

That's only for the NFL.

No, it's not. And the NFL requires 3 years removed from high school anyway, not 2.

Are you saying this as though you've actually gathered the info that they allow players fresh out of high school?

Because if so that runs contradictory to their own memo sent out a few weeks ago stating..

Eligibility to join the USFL hinges on graduating from high school in 2020 or earlier. This means that the USFL will accept players after only two years of college.

USFL to have a “player selection meeting” on February 22-23

No, it's not. And the NFL requires 3 years removed from high school anyway, not 2.

Are you saying this as though you've actually gathered the info that they allow players fresh out of high school?

Because if so that runs contradictory to their own memo sent out a few weeks ago stating..

I've read up on both the XFL and USFL. I might be confusing the two. I know one of them said they didn't have any restrictions on age. I do remember the XFL saying something about being younger, so maybe they are the ones.

An interesting situation. A lot of NFL players never get their degrees anyway. I like the idea of the USFL providing them a means (free) to get some college credit hours.

Who's to say they won't uncover their own homegrown Jim Kelly's, Herschel Walkers and the such? I think there could be many diamonds in the rough.

Last edited:
Who's to say they won't uncover their own homegrown Jim Kelly's, Herchel Walkers and the such? I think there could be many diamonds in the rough.

Never said there couldn’t be diamonds in the rough found. Simply said they won’t get the top talent like they did in the 80’s or like the AFL did in the 60’s.

You’re not going to compete with the NFL talent wise. Not anymore. They have too much money.

Looks like all of the teams are revealing their duds today. Just saw these two on FB.

274066745_5250791438288258_4395601973436595363_n.jpg
274334609_134871632363648_927337298623508676_n.jpg

Back