Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The perfect trade for #23

Patrick Peterson he wants out of Arizona we need a CB. Get it done Gaine. He’s better than anyone we can get at 23.

He's also older and more expensive and has less years contractually than anyone we can get at 23.

And I don't mean that to poopoo entirely on the suggestion, I like Peterson quite a bit as well and he'd obviously help bolster a weakness of this team, just not sure if a straight up 1 for Peterson is the deal I'd be looking for.

He's also older and more expensive and has less years contractually than anyone we can get at 23.

And I don't mean that to poopoo entirely on the suggestion, I like Peterson quite a bit as well and he'd obviously help bolster a weakness of this team, just not sure if a straight up 1 for Peterson is the deal I'd be looking for.
You know exactly what you’re getting with Peterson and you can rework his deal. Not a single CB in this draft is a sure thing is Patrick Peterson is right now. Rework his deal front load it so It doesn’t interfere with Watson’s future contract. This is very doable.

You know exactly what you’re getting with Peterson and you can rework his deal. Not a single CB in this draft is a sure thing is Patrick Peterson is right now. Rework his deal front load it so It doesn’t interfere with Watson’s future contract. This is very doable.

Sure, like I said I really like Peterson, still don't know though that I'd just fork over a first without negotiating something a bit more favorable. Especially knowing how much he wants out of Arizona.

Perhaps one of our 2nd's and something else. Maybe we give them 1.23 and they give us Peterson and a 3rd or so. Just taking everything into consideration I think a flat out 1st for Peterson may be leaving some negotiating on the table.

Last edited:
I'm leery about 1.23 for Peterson given his age, and our needs at Oline. UNLESS - we trade Clowney for a package of picks including a 1 this year. To me - that's an extreme longshot but never say never.

I do agree he's better NOW than any CB we can get in the draft.

I might consider a 2 this year and a 4 next. Something along those lines.

I really doubt this happens. This isn't a "big splash" regime. This is the slow and steady build through the draft team.

I'm leery about 1.23 for Peterson given his age, and our needs at Oline. UNLESS - we trade Clowney for a package of picks including a 1 this year. To me - that's an extreme longshot but never say never.

I do agree he's better NOW than any CB we can get in the draft.

I might consider a 2 this year and a 4 next. Something along those lines.

I really doubt this happens. This isn't a "big splash" regime. This is the slow and steady build through the draft team.
What about our needs at CB. Probably a bigger need than OL

What about our needs at CB. Probably a bigger need than OL

Sorry, nothing is a bigger need than protecting your franchise QB. Yes it's a serious need, and I'd certainly make the call. No question about that.

I'd consider the #1 and our # 6 IF they would give us their 4th with Peterson. I could live with that and it is fair for both sides.

The draft would look something like this. I suppose this is my Patrick Peterson mock - complete and utter speculation on trade compensation...

rd 1 (23)- Patrick Peterson (trade)
rd 2 (54) - Kaleb McGary OT
rd 2 (55) - Chase Winovich Edge
Rd 3 - (86) - Andy Isabella - WR
Rd 4 (From AZ) - Trayveon Williams - RB
Rd 5 (161) - Lamont Gaillard - C
rd 6 (195) - trade to AZ
rd 7 (220) - Will Harris - S

I think perfect trade for 23 would be after Raiders give us #24 & 27 and 35 for Clowney. We then trade down with PATs for 2.64 and their three thirds.

1.24 CB Byron Murphy 1.27 CB Greedy Williams 2.35 WR DK Metcalf

2.54 Edge Jaylon Ferguson [replaces Clown] 2.55 OT Greg Little 2.64 Slot CB Julian Love

3.73 CB Trayvon Mullens 3.86 RB Damien Harris 3.97 OLB Maxx Crosby 3.101 OL Max Scharping

5.161 safety/lb Burr-Kirvin 6.195 CB/S Donnie Lewis 7.227 WR Lil Jordan Humphrey

I think perfect trade for 23 would be after Raiders give us #24 & 27 and 35 for Clowney. We then trade down with PATs for 2.64 and their three thirds.

1.24 CB Byron Murphy 1.27 CB Greedy Williams 2.35 WR DK Metcalf

2.54 Edge Jaylon Ferguson [replaces Clown] 2.55 OT Greg Little 2.64 Slot CB Julian Love

3.73 CB Trayvon Mullens 3.86 RB Damien Harris 3.97 OLB Maxx Crosby 3.101 OL Max Scharping

5.161 safety/lb Burr-Kirvin 6.195 CB/S Donnie Lewis 7.227 WR Lil Jordan Humphrey

So Raiders trade #24, #27, #35 (total 1,970 points or equivalent to the #4 pick) AND make him the highest paid player in the league.

OR they could sit at #4 and draft a top-5 pass rusher on a rookie contract and use their 3 top-35 picks to improve the roster.

That trade is asinine.

Then, Pats trade four day 2 picks for one 1st rounder when their own 1st rounder is 9 picks later? That's even more ridiculous than the other trade.

I don't mind talking trades, but in what world are the Raiders trading away Khalil Mack and then using that bounty to trade for Clowney? Why would the Pats, who love stockpiling picks, trade away 4 premium picks for one 1st rounder instead of just trading up from 32?

None of this is feasible.

Sorry, nothing is a bigger need than protecting your franchise QB.

Rd 5 (161) - Lamont Gaillard - CS

That’s a straw man argument. I never said don’t protect him. we don’t literally don’t have any good CBs.

I love Gaillard. He’s the kind of center we need.

This really comes down to do they want to put the best product possible on the field.

So Raiders trade #24, #27, #35 (total 1,970 points or equivalent to the #4 pick) AND make him the highest paid player in the league.

OR they could sit at #4 and draft a top-5 pass rusher on a rookie contract and use their 3 top-35 picks to improve the roster.

That trade is asinine.

Then, Pats trade four day 2 picks for one 1st rounder when their own 1st rounder is 9 picks later? That's even more ridiculous than the other trade.

I don't mind talking trades, but in what world are the Raiders trading away Khalil Mack and then using that bounty to trade for Clowney? Why would the Pats, who love stockpiling picks, trade away 4 premium picks for one 1st rounder instead of just trading up from 32?

None of this is feasible.

I could see both the Packers and Patriots being interested in pick 23 if Noah Fant is still somehow on the board. Both teams have a need for a top TE and one of them will probably take him if he lasted to their pick in RD1. I'd be very satisfied with either team swapping places in RD1 and kicking in a RD2 or RD3 pick. The Pats have an early RD3 to work with.

I could see both the Packers and Patriots being interested in pick 23 if Noah Fant is still somehow on the board. Both teams have a need for a top TE and one of them will probably take him if he lasted to their pick in RD1. I'd be very satisfied with either team swapping places in RD1 and kicking in a RD2 or RD3 pick. The Pats have an early RD3 to work with.
I definitely do not want Texans trading up.
Too many good players with which to fill holes right down to our 3rd pick.

Back