Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The one OL you don’t want

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All considered busts at the end of their rookie year or potential busts anyway...

My point is that if you want an impact player as a rookie, OT is probably not the way to go
Wills and Stanley weren't considered busts. Williams was hurt all of his rookie yr. I would add Lane Johnson/Jack Conklin and Tyron Smith. I'm just doing this off of the top of my head.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wills and Stanley weren't considered busts. Williams was hurt all of his rookie yr. I would add Lane Johnson/Jack Conklin and Tyron Smith. I'm just doing this off of the top of my head.
Lane Johnson is the only one that may have had the bust word thrown about him, I don't remember but the others all did

Porky

Hall of Fame
No Trevor Penning or anyone from deep east Texas whose parents are drug dealers with red hair and three teeth. I once saw a 8 yr old tackle in pee wee football in 1986 who fit that exact profile and he petered out before HS. History always repeats 100% of the time. ok maybe in the 3rd round but no higher.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
When was the last time an OT came out and was considered a success his rookie year?
The Chargers drafted a great rookie LT last year.

He's from right here in Houston.
Tristan Wirfs of Tampa Bay in 2000.' Starting RT for the Super Bowl champs.

Penei Sewell improved down the stretch for the Lions. They didn't win a game out of the 1st 11, but went 3-3 to end the season, averaging 25 ppg.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Tristan Wirfs of Tampa Bay in 2000.' Starting RT for the Super Bowl champs.

Penei Sewell improved down the stretch for the Lions. They didn't win a game out of the 1st 11, but went 3-3 to end the season, averaging 25 ppg.
Yeah, I remembered those two after I asked the question... still a rare animal tho

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So Demarcus Ware vs the DE who played for Chargers? Most times,the big school guys get high end development in college like the Bama ol/dl , but the smaller school guys have their potential in front of them, Coaching matters big time in nfl
There have been some the greatest players who have ever live that have come from small schools. Just not many lately. So give me the guy with the least amount of risk.

Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
There have been some the greatest players who have ever live that have come from small schools. Just not many lately. So give me the guy with the least amount of risk.
So you're a 401k guy vs big risk v big reward guy. Not to wordplay you,but coaching and getting guys up to speed is at a premium imo. Who do you you trust in terms of development? Tillman was a small school guy and he was awesome as a cb. Even power 5 guys are to me considered small school/high upside guys. Alabama is the powerhouse, but Saban is such a high end coach, those ol/dl guys seem to max out at college.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you're a 401k guy vs big risk v big reward guy. Not to wordplay you,but coaching and getting guys up to speed is at a premium imo. Who do you you trust in terms of development? Tillman was a small school guy and he was awesome as a cb. Even power 5 guys are to me considered small school/high upside guys. Alabama is the powerhouse, but Saban is such a high end coach, those ol/dl guys seem to max out at college.
I believe in taking measured risks. I'm a risk taker at heart. Look at Steelb's 3.0 mock as an example of the kinds of risks I would take.

BTW, I liked Leonard alot the yr he came out. Saw him at the Sr. Bowl, what did he look like in person.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I believe in taking measured risks. I'm a risk taker at heart. Look at Steelb's 3.0 mock as an example of the kinds of risks I would take.

BTW, I liked Leonard alot the yr he came out. Saw him at the Sr. Bowl, what did he look like in person.
Exactly. We've spoken on this before, you pool of players have to be risky because they're 21 ish,especially mid to late. The Texans have missed because of guys taken off the board. If you keep shrinking the pool, then you can't have the high impact guys. Kevin Juhnson vs the Washington cb. Houston vs Reed. You always say Texans worthy. Even a conservitive org like Pittsburgh and Giants take risks on guys and its paid off.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I’m now reevaluating my thoughts on him. The SB practice replays played a lot of Penning’s face plants. I didn’t realize he was beat and off balance so often.
I normally go to the senior bowl practice and sit with Pat Kirwin and all those guys and we have dinner and talk ball. I missed this year, but if you like ball, its a must see live.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
At some points Kinnard was rated as a 1st round pick. Even though I don't want Kinnard, after his performance at the Senior Bowl, I think he has been rated as low as the 4th. One that is still rated in the 1st round that I don't want is C Tyler Linderbaum. Don't get me wrong, I like Linderbaum, and wanted him when I thought we would be going to a ZBS, but he just doesn't fit with the style of offense Pep said he wants to run.
Pep is of Harbaugh tree which is zbs.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Ekwonu

After oKoye I hope they never pick another Ngerian high.

Ekonu has the same background as oKoye had, from a family of Nigerian doctors.
Would you prefer if he was a Nigerian prince who sent you an email with the reasons you should draft him?
For the record, I have no idea if Ekwonu should be drafted. However, to not want him drafted for the reason you listed without considering that he was a 3 star HS recruit while Okoye didn't play football until his sophomore year in HS or he came from an athletic family is a bit short sighted.

vtech9

All Pro
At some points Kinnard was rated as a 1st round pick. Even though I don't want Kinnard, after his performance at the Senior Bowl, I think he has been rated as low as the 4th. One that is still rated in the 1st round that I don't want is C Tyler Linderbaum. Don't get me wrong, I like Linderbaum, and wanted him when I thought we would be going to a ZBS, but he just doesn't fit with the style of offense Pep said he wants to run.
When I first posted this, I didn't know much about Cross, but I have since watched a lot of video of him, and I am not impressed. I don't want him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When I first posted this, I didn't know much about Cross, but I have since watched a lot of video of him, and I am not impressed. I don't want him.
I get this,

I'm unsure about him and what's weird is scout's I really respect say he's the best ot in this draft. He's got talent but his run and shoot background brothers me.

Porky

Hall of Fame
No thanks on Cross unless we trade eown and we are in the 20’s. We need someone to smash i. The run game not another “technician” that is a good pass blocker with agility but who cant get push or be physical in the run game. We already have that guy in Tunsil.

My guy is still Ekwonu. Give me a mauler at LG, who with good coaching can be reasonably good at pass pro and eventually might move to LT

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I would start him off at RT until he shows he's not a tackle