Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

A trade partner who's willing to roll the dice ? Who fits that profile ? Jerry Jones, but he's already screwed up so many times with risky edge rushers who were wife beaters, or pot heads, or whatever ?
Who else might take a chance on Clowney ?

I’d say the Jets, Eagles, Falcons, Chiefs, and Seahawks would be the likely buyers on the clowney market. Jets have the cap to give him a new deal and the draft capital. My fear is the market won’t open up until after the draft when teams miss out on their guys. The chiefs at this time don’t have any pass rush guys outside of Chris Jones who is more of an interior rusher. Same with Jets they have no edge players. And the falcons coveted clowney, they took Vic Beasley but he hasn’t lived up to the hype. I haven’t kept tabs on how takk has done for them

Depending on how Russell Wilson's new contract works, his 2019 cap hit pretty much chewed up their $10 million space for this year.

Chad Forbes@NFLDraftBites

League Wide Rumor Jadeveon Clowney is available. And if trade / extension were feasible, Agent would direct to sign Franchise Tender. Interest isn't there... Yet. One team lurking is #Chiefs. Still expect Clowney delivers a pedestrian 2019 to Texans & preps for 2020 Free Agency.

3:54 PM - Apr 16, 2019
thanks for posting. I think "interest" increases day of draft and things start settling in for all. Clowney has to realize he probably isn't getting anywhere near what he wants & an indication of that subtle or not will perk up interest. Gaines just has to sit tight as he has so far.

League Wide Rumor Jadeveon Clowney is available. And if trade / extension were feasible, Agent would direct to sign Franchise Tender. Interest isn't there... Yet. One team lurking is #Chiefs. Still expect Clowney delivers a pedestrian 2019 to Texans & preps for 2020 Free Agency.

The bold is sheer stupidity. You don't up your value by being pedestrian.

Still expect Clowney delivers a pedestrian 2019 to Texans & preps for 2020 Free Agency.????

What the hell does that mean? Is he suggesting Clowney is going to slack off? Who is this DBag? Why would he even add that nugget?

Texans working out Montez Sweat. I know we’re all talking about OL/DB. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we took an edge rusher really early

Texans working out Montez Sweat. I know we’re all talking about OL/DB. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we took an edge rusher really early
There’s a good chance we do. I could easily see the top 4 OL and the top 3 CBs gone by 23. If a top pass rusher is still available and we can’t trade down it’s very likely. Don’t sleep on Brian Burns. I could also see us going for interior pass rush guys like Lawrence or Simmons.

Last edited:
There’s a good chance we do. I could easily see the top 4 OL and the top 3 CBs gone by 23. If a top pass rusher is still available and we can’t trade down it’s very likely. Don’t sleep on Brian Burns. I could also see us going for interior pass rush guys like Lawrence or Simmons.

I agree with your line of thinking.

Maybe Gaine will break with tradition and select DE Jerry Tillery. That would be a stunner.

I'd prefer Clelin Ferrell but he should be gone by #23.

If their choices of O linemen are gone I wouldn't mind a trade down.

:coffee:

I dont see a run on both. I suspect 0-1 CB off the board by 23, but agree OL may have a rush and would then prefer we get a second tier OL in rd2

Its interesting to see guys here fantasize about a Clowney trade. If reports of a 2nd rounder are true then Houston MUST take that offer. NO you wont get a first rounder, NO you wont get multiple high picks. Look at what Antonio Brown was traded for when it all went to hell. Nothing. Thats where this is heading if the Texans are really not interested in committing, but hold Clowney to this ridiculous rate of return.

2nd rounder NOW or a 5th rounder later.

I agree with your line of thinking.

Maybe Gaine will break with tradition and select DE Jerry Tillery. That would be a stunner.

I'd prefer Clelin Ferrell but he should be gone by #23.

If their choices of O linemen are gone I wouldn't mind a trade down.

:coffee:
Tillery should of been on my list. Forgot him. He’s one of my favorites.

Its interesting to see guys here fantasize about a Clowney trade. If reports of a 2nd rounder are true then Houston MUST take that offer. NO you wont get a first rounder, NO you wont get multiple high picks. Look at what Antonio Brown was traded for when it all went to hell. Nothing. Thats where this is heading if the Texans are really not interested in committing, but hold Clowney to this ridiculous rate of return.

What reports? There’s no way I take a second round pick for clowney. He’s worth more than that on the field. You’re not replacing that with a second round pick. Silly.

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop 2h2 hours ago

Brian Gaine said the Texans are still negotiating with DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney with the hope of getting a new contract done. Houston put the franchise tag on Clowney last month, so the two sides have until the July 15 deadline to reach a new deal. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41061649-4…

Very likely July 15 comes and goes with nothing changing......................unless Gaine finds a trade partner.

No you are wrong... See how that works? Most of us who value Clowney high do not insist we will get what we think he's worth like you insist he's worth only a two. I'm saying if he cannot bring more than a second and some later or future pick then no trade. His proven value for years say he is worth more.

I agree we could be surprised with our pick. Actually I most likely will be because I have not the slightest idea who the hell will be there or what we’ll go for. However, I do believe either the CB’s or OL’s will be there. Even though it is an average QB class I see 4 of them off the board by our pick, pushing the rest of the talent down

It has to be considered that Antonio Brown is 30+ years old, was a vocal distraction/locker room cancer, wasn’t even statistically the best WR on his team last season, has had a hall of fame QB throwing to him his whole career, and wanted to be the highest paid WR in football at that age. Clowney is young, still early in his prime, and has a lot of room yet to grow. The only knock was his injury history; which he has turned in 2 pretty healthy seasons in a row. He missed 1 or 2 games each season, but that’s not bad considering the position he plays and they were relatively minor injuries. Even if we rescind the tag and he signs with another team, we still get a 3rd round comp pick. So there’s no way we end up dealing him for a 5th, unless it 7 years down the road.

HOWEVER, I do think you are right, I don’t see us getting a first rounder for him. I think if there’s a trade it will be either after the first round if people miss out on the edge rushers (it’s a heavy draft for those guys, so not likely. Another reason why the interest in clowney is low) or, after the draft altogether. In that case, I think we may get that round 1 pick

What reports? There’s no way I take a second round pick for clowney. He’s worth more than that on the field. You’re not replacing that with a second round pick. Silly.

@badboy @281Texan

Just running with the theme of the thread and a hypothetical/fictional proposition. Right I agree with you on his worth and value to the team; however this team and many fans apparently are not, and they would rather him languish on the one year franchise tag for what 2 more years? And then think they are sneaky and after they've used him up they will ship him along for a high pick? Thats the true sentiment, but see JDC and his team know this just as well as anyone and they will not risk injury on the field and no long term security. They will hold out. At this point all those same fans would say 'screw him he can sit down and go F himself .. franchise tag is great rah rah rah' and never really take a human approach to the matter.

Its always a video game or chess match with fans thinking they are GMS and know whats best for the team and/or player - there has to be a personal and endearing connection. OF COURSE money is the overriding factor to both sides, but JDC after the injury has been phenomenal. He isnt a true one dimensional pass rusher, the dude is a one man army out there. He does so much for the defense that doesnt show up on box scores that losing him would be a HUGE blow to what RAC likes to do and would have them tumbling down the rankings fast. Its almost impossible to replace that even with a late first edge guy who might not even pan out. I also understand the hesitancy on the grounds of future injury to the repaired microfracture knee and all that, but when is that going to happen? Next year? 2 years from now? Never? JDC has already had 2 straight years of pro bowl play I find it overly pessimistic to say he's on borrowed time. Injuries happen you cant allow some theoretic future moment to hamper what you are trying to do NOW - TODAY and that is win the Super Bowl this year. JDC helps tremendously with that goal.

TLDR; I say cut the guy loose if the team really isnt interested in signing him to a 100M deal. The sooner the better before the stink of a feud hits the gossip circles and value is nonexistent.

I've heard multiple former players who know Clowney who say there's no way he sits out part of the season, that he'll just suck it up and play under the tag this year.

Obvs that's just their opinion and it can be taken or left, but at least they're coming from some kind of inight into the guy himself.

I've heard multiple former players who know Clowney who say there's no way he sits out part of the season, that he'll just suck it up and play under the tag this year.

Obvs that's just their opinion and it can be taken or left, but at least they're coming from some kind of inight into the guy himself.
If the Texans are sincere about trading Clowney as opposed to resigning him then I hope that Brian Gaine makes a concerted and sincere effort to communicate with Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff, because ATL currently needs a player with JDs skill set and Clowney himself on numerous ocassions during the time of the 2014 Draft expressed an interest, and even a preference for being drafted by the Falcons.

If the Texans are sincere about trading Clowney as opposed to resigning him then I hope that Brian Gaine makes a concerted and sincere effort to communicate with Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff, because ATL currently needs a player with JDs skill set and Clowney himself on numerous ocassions during the time of the 2014 Draft expressed an interest, and even a preference for being drafted by the Falcons.

Can they trade him if he doesn't sign the tender?

@badboy @281Texan

Just running with the theme of the thread and a hypothetical/fictional proposition. Right I agree with you on his worth and value to the team; however this team and many fans apparently are not, and they would rather him languish on the one year franchise tag for what 2 more years? And then think they are sneaky and after they've used him up they will ship him along for a high pick? Thats the true sentiment, but see JDC and his team know this just as well as anyone and they will not risk injury on the field and no long term security. They will hold out. At this point all those same fans would say 'screw him he can sit down and go F himself .. franchise tag is great rah rah rah' and never really take a human approach to the matter.

Its always a video game or chess match with fans thinking they are GMS and know whats best for the team and/or player - there has to be a personal and endearing connection. OF COURSE money is the overriding factor to both sides, but JDC after the injury has been phenomenal. He isnt a true one dimensional pass rusher, the dude is a one man army out there. He does so much for the defense that doesnt show up on box scores that losing him would be a HUGE blow to what RAC likes to do and would have them tumbling down the rankings fast. Its almost impossible to replace that even with a late first edge guy who might not even pan out. I also understand the hesitancy on the grounds of future injury to the repaired microfracture knee and all that, but when is that going to happen? Next year? 2 years from now? Never? JDC has already had 2 straight years of pro bowl play I find it overly pessimistic to say he's on borrowed time. Injuries happen you cant allow some theoretic future moment to hamper what you are trying to do NOW - TODAY and that is win the Super Bowl this year. JDC helps tremendously with that goal.

TLDR; I say cut the guy loose if the team really isnt interested in signing him to a 100M deal. The sooner the better before the stink of a feud hits the gossip circles and value is nonexistent.

Your characterization of the situation is all off.

Overly pessimistic would be the Texans not even bothering to offer him the franchise tag let alone continuing to negotiate a long term contract with him......which i'm sure they've pitched him some version of 1 by now. The impasse seems to be in how much value each party has on him. Nevertheless, by virtue of the FO continuing to work with him on a long term deal........& then offering him the franchise tag that would not only extend the negotiating window but also put his pay for the year at the top in the league for his position for this upcoming year, They are showing him that personal & endearing connection that you're speaking of. Its clear they want him back. But at the same time, Gaine can't ignore the calls coming in either.

& for Clowney's part, he has just yet to reciprocate the FO's offer because he feels his value is more. You can't fault either party for their stance, but at the same time, who has extended who more courtesy of the 2 Clowney or the Texans FO? I feel if he or the Texans FO truly wanted out of this situation, Both would be more public about it.

@badboy @281Texan

I agree with just about everything you’re saying. I don’t want to trade him at all, but IF we were to trade him, I’d want a first rounder. If not, then we should make him play out his tag then give him his deal. Hell, tag him again next season then resign him if he threatens to walk. We hold all the cards, we just need to play them right.

Right the signature is required but obtaining said signature would be a mere formality assuming all parties are in agreement to the transaction.
That situation may not be as simple as you make it out to be. If the Texans continue not to see Clowney's value as Clowney sees it, it won't work. And if, the proposed trade team does see Clowney's value as Clowney sees it, a renegotiated contract will complicate the matter.........just with another team's name substituted.

That situation may not be as simple as you make it out to be. If the Texans continue not to see Clowney's value as Clowney sees it, it won't work. And if, the proposed trade team does see Clowney's value as Clowney sees it, a renegotiated contract will complicate the matter.........just with another team's name substituted.
Right it would be a complicated transaction that would include negotiations between the ATL GM and Clowney's agent of course preceded by Clowneys acquiescence to the trade. Signing the tender thus is part of dotting the I's and crossing the Ts after the deal has been consummated between Clowney/agent & ATL.

@badboy @281Texan

So much to respond to, first I and most here don't disrespect JD & as you identify he's very good. His cap hit if tagged twice is close to $35-38 million so 20 million avg for first 2 years isn't that crazy and I think Gains would do that. Problem is of course Clowney wants more GTD and where talks break down. The knee doesn't get better sitting out. It's all risk and gamble for both sides. A player of his skill and productivity should sign an $80 million 4 year deal with say $20 GTD knowing second year will be GTD game one. He could sit out all off seasons and play sparingly some in preseason. He doesn't need practise to play well. Last two years could have incentives easy to reach + per game bonus of one million per. If used up after 2 seasons no one will offer much. Team will be good with JD but could be much better with what we get in trade now. If he's about money. I'm cool with it. Go to Gaines say" loved time here but need more than you want to pay. Get as close to this number for me and best deal for you and I sign tender and hope see you in Super Bowl."

So much to respond to, first I and most here don't disrespect JD & as you identify he's very good. His cap hit if tagged twice is close to $35-38 million so 20 million avg for first 2 years isn't that crazy and I think Gains would do that. Problem is of course Clowney wants more GTD and where talks break down. The knee doesn't get better sitting out. It's all risk and gamble for both sides. A player of his skill and productivity should sign an $80 million 4 year deal with say $20 GTD knowing second year will be GTD game one. He could sit out all off seasons and play sparingly some in preseason. He doesn't need practise to play well. Last two years could have incentives easy to reach + per game bonus of one million per. If used up after 2 seasons no one will offer much. Team will be good with JD but could be much better with what we get in trade now. If he's about money. I'm cool with it. Go to Gaines say" loved time here but need more than you want to pay. Get as close to this number for me and best deal for you and I sign tender and hope see you in Super Bowl."

I responded to your post as a springboard in the Injury Thread.

What does the Montez Sweat workout for Texans mean for the future of Jadeveon Clowney?
By: Anthony R Wood | April 18, 2019 9:30 pm ET

The answer should be NOTHING. I keep hearing Sweat's name here and in Draft talk as being a likely top pick. I just shake my head. Someone is not doing their homework. Sweat at the Combine was discovered to have an undisclosed "heart condition." From what I have been able to determine, his problem is one of what is called left ventricular hypertrophy. This is when the heart muscle is over worked...........due to high blood pressure, coronary disease or heart muscle or valve disease. It's like an overbulked body builder that can hardly walk/function. If the heart dilates or bulks up in thickness, it also cannot function properly..........it can compensate for a while (as Sweat appears to be), but eventually will be overwhelmed affecting the normal distribution of blood/nutrients/oxygen to the body as a whole including the coronary circulation that feeds the heart muscle, and the brain. The most common cause of this condition is chronic high blood pressure which when controlled can many times be reversed. However, as relates to Sweat, it would be highly unlikely that a significant blood pressure problem would not have been discovered in HS or college. If it is a heart valve problem, a major valve replacement surgery could help the condition. However, the very real problem comes with the life-threatening arrhythmias that many times accompanies heart enlargement.........especially ventricular arrhythmias associated with sudden death syndrome (ala., seemingly healthy Pete Maravich who had left ventricular hypertrophy [diagnosed only at the time of autopsy] and suffered sudden death due to an acute ventricular arrythmia). If these arrhythmias are diagnosed early, sudden death has a better chance of being avoided by placement of pacemaker/automatic defibrillator.

Sweat's prognosis at best is unpredictable if he pursues his NFL career. This should be a big red flag not only for him, but for any team considering him for the Draft.

there are no other NFL players with this condition, but there are some European soccer players that have overcome it and found a way to play.

There would always be the risk that something could go wrong, but those risks might be minimized if teams take certain precautions during games and practices.

“Some more progressive teams,” said Pelissero, “some more progressive doctors have spoken with cardiologists and gotten comfortable with the idea that Montez Sweat would be able to play with this.”

Seahawks are putting DE/EDGE, Frank Clark on the market b/c he's not willing to sign his 17M+ tag. Thye've announced that a RD1 in this draft will be required in any package.

I believe the Texans could follow suit and announce that Clowney is available for the right package so long as it includes a RD1 offer. I would also believe he is every bit as valuable as Clark. I say make it public that he's available and gain some additional draft capital as well.

@badboy @281Texan

It appears to me that in RC's defense there can only be one free-range DE/EDGE guy on the field. See, when Watt is healthy, he's that guy and really good at it. Clowney's best season happened when Watt was off the field and he got to be that guy, not quite on Watt's level but very very good just the same.

I think the Texans defense could be every bit a top 5 unit if they get another DL, fix the secondary, and let the existing personnel feel in the gaps.

Seahawks are putting DE/EDGE, Frank Clark on the market b/c he's not willing to sign his 17M+ tag. Thye've announced that a RD1 in this draft will be required in any package.

I believe the Texans could follow suit and announce that Clowney is available for the right package so long as it includes a RD1 offer. I would also believe he is every bit as valuable as Clark. I say make it public that he's available and gain some additional draft capital as well.

Why are you making it sound like the Seahawks called a press conference on trading Frank Clark? None of this is "public" outside of a someone mongering a rumor.

Why are you making it sound like the Seahawks called a press conference on trading Frank Clark? None of this is "public" outside of a someone mongering a rumor.

Without reliable inks, it's easy to say that Watt, Hopkins and Watson are on the market only if a first is included

there are no other NFL players with this condition, but there are some European soccer players that have overcome it and found a way to play.

There would always be the risk that something could go wrong, but those risks might be minimized if teams take certain precautions during games and practices.

“Some more progressive teams,” said Pelissero, “some more progressive doctors have spoken with cardiologists and gotten comfortable with the idea that Montez Sweat would be able to play with this.”

no other NFL players with this condition..............I don't know if you mean presently, but some NFL players have quit due to strong recommendations to do so.............and several NFL players have experienced sudden death from this condition................it is not surprising that this would be an uncommon condition noted in NFL players because most such cases are diagnosed in HS or college, where most resultant sudden deaths also occur.................and many athletes will detour from this career, thus avoiding altogether continued stresses on the heart that may lead to sudden death.

some European soccer players that have overcome it and found a way to play..................a distinction must be made between "athlete's heart" (a common natural minor left ventricular hypertrophy (bulking) due to an athlete's constant hard exercising of the heart), and left ventricular hypertrophy which goes beyond that to be considered pathologic (the condition that we are dealing with here)................Sweat would not have been red flagged for the former.................as I mentioned in my previous post, if something as simple as high blood pressure is the cause, medication can treat it and the hypertrophy can be decreased to variable extent because the load on the heart is decreased (with ability to continue playing safely).............medications can also be given to try to treat the condition and possibly prevent the deadly arrhythmias................but understand that these are selective circumstances, and not without their own inherent risks...............some European soccer players have been "treated" by the utilization of forced detraining as a last resort when Athlete's heart vs the pathologic state was unclear.......... if the former was present .reversal should have be noted after ~ 3 months of complete cessation of vigorous sporting activity and the player would be deemed safe to return to play

those risks might be minimized if teams take certain precautions during games and practices..............short of maintaining good hydration and electrolyte balance, "precaution" is more theoretical than possible.............the only precaution that could possibly work would be to avoid high stress exercising and thus stress on the heart.............and that would not be compatible with maintaining an NFL career on the field.

“Some more progressive teams,” said Pelissero, “some more progressive doctors have spoken with cardiologists and gotten comfortable with the idea that Montez Sweat would be able to play with this.”.......................Progressive here is a code word for experimentation................most cardiologists are mindful of the existing facts:

In the United States, a young competitive athlete dies suddenly every three days.

Young athletes are more than twice as likely to experience sudden cardiac death (SCD) than young non-athletes.

Most victims are male (90%).

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is the leading cardiovascular cause of SCD (40%) in young athletes.

More than half of HCM sudden death victims are black athletes (52%).

The average age when SCD occurs in young athletes is 17.5 years.

The risk of SCD increases with age.

More than two thirds of young athletes who die suddenly are basketball and football players (67%).

Unfortunately over 80 % of affected individuals are asymptomatic before SCD, which often occurs during exercise or in its aftermath.

death-gun-russian_roulette-loaded_pistols-loaded_guns-luck-mfln5102_low.jpg

@CloakNNNdagger is Sweat’s heart condition worse than Nick Fairley’s when he came out in 2011?
Yes. Fairley in 2011 had a borderline "Athlete's heart" and blood pressure problems. Controlling the blood pressure kept him from going into a full blown pathologic ventricular hypertrophy. His condition was not taken seriously or followed as carefully as it should have been. The Saints had him worked up by the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans (where I took my cardiovascular surgery training)...........the condition was found to be pathologic and immediate retirement was strongly recommended.

Again, it must be emphasized that many of these patients can be entirely asymptomatic................until sudden death. Fairley was told he was very fortunate, and after 2 years of seeking other opinions and treatments as well as thinking about the most prudent route to follow, he took the option to take the gun away from his head.

BTW, Gaines Adams, the former Bucs and Bears DE who died of a sudden death heart attack due to this condition...........having just completed the last game of his 3rd NFL season. He was totally asymptomatic prior to his demise.

Last edited:
Yes. Fairley in 2011 had a borderline "Athlete's heart" and blood pressure problems. Controlling the blood pressure kept him from going into a full blown pathologic ventricular hypertrophy. His condition was not taken seriously or followed as carefully as it should have been. The Saints had him worked up by the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans (where I took my cardiovascular surgery training)...........the condition was found to be pathologic and immediate retirement was strongly recommended.

Again, it must be emphasized that many of these patients can be entirely asymptomatic................until sudden death. Fairley was told he was very fortunate, and after 2 years of seeking other opinions and treatments as well as thinking about the most prudent route to follow, he took the option to take the gun away from his head.

BTW, Gaines Adams, the former Bucs and Bears DE who died of a sudden death heart attack due to this condition...........having just completed the last game of his 3rd NFL season. He was totally asymptomatic prior to his demise.

Really unfortunate. Horrible for Sweat and his family. At least it was caught before something horrible happened. Hopefully he got one of those high end insurance policies to protect against injury prior to draft and if so hopefully something like this would be covered for how far he’ll fall if he continues playing.

I saw where these "progressive doctors" have stated that the precaution that teams could make to minimize Sweat's risk of a sudden death event would be to have a portable defibrillator ready on the sidelines. This struck me as somewhat medically ignorant. First of all, debrillators are already mandated on the sidelines for every NFL game. But what most fans would not know are the facts surrounding cardiac arrests. Cardiac arrest occur in ~ 600,000 people each year, killing the vast majority of those individuals. The latest statistics from the Institute of Medicine show that every year in the U.S., ~400,000 cases of cardiac arrest occur outside of a hospital setting, in which less than 6 percent survive. Approximately 200,000 cardiac arrests occur each year in hospitals, and only 24 percent of those patients survive.

Those sideline defibrillators are meant to be there for totally unexpected cardiac events. They were never meant to be there as a "precaution" for a player with known cardiac risks. Their use in either circumstance offers very questionable survival benefits...............no more than a mirage of "precaution."

IDK doc, I sorta like medical option on sidelines ; concussion? Crainiotomy in the tent. Of course a referee then asks player to nod if he wants back in game.

What is this !
The day before, the day before the 2019 NFL Draft and no new preposterous rumors being spread by the rumor-mongers about a spectacular trade involving Jadeveon Clowney ?
Guys you are slipping.

What is this !
The day before, the day before the 2019 NFL Draft and no new preposterous rumors being spread by the rumor-mongers about a spectacular trade involving Jadeveon Clowney ?
Guys you are slipping.

I'll start..

Normally we post about rumors that the national media are hearing for some reason it's quiet....TOO....quiet.

I heard that a trade is imminent for a 2nd round pick and a $100 Ruby Tuesday gift card. BOB wants a TGIF gift card but the other team isn't budging. Discussions currently involve possibly settling somewhere in between on Chilis.

Back