Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Matt Schaub appreciation thread

Matt Schaub is my son's first sports hero. My (then 12) year old son met Schaub in 2012. He wants to be an NFL quarterback. Last season was very difficult for him as he watched his hero fail. I could write 10 pages of material about this but will keep it brief. My son will suffer failure and disappointment throughout his life, as we all do. I am eternally grateful for Matt Schaub, because he illustrated to my boy how to win and succeed with humility and honor and then he taught him how to fail with honor as well. Matt Schaub will never be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (something my son still doesn't fully accept), but he sure as hell is in our family's Hall of Fame. I don't regret any of his time in Houston. Thank you, Matt Schaub!

Agreed, he did the best he could... & he won't be easily replaced.

I fault the Texans for not preparing for this day better than they had.
I don't really follow this logic. Nobody could've foreseen Schaub absolutely cratering like he did. Everyone was pretty happy with how Yates and Keenum looked in the preseason, iirc.

I don't really follow this logic. Nobody could've foreseen Schaub absolutely cratering like he did. Everyone was pretty happy with how Yates and Keenum looked in the preseason, iirc.

There was a lot of concern about Schaub during last offseason. Myself included. However, 2013 was considered a poor draft class for QB. Was Geno Smith the answer? Binding Schaub to the team with that contract extension right after the foot injury was the real mistake.

And I would be happy with that if we knew the Texans were getting the Matt Schaub from of the initial 12 games with a 94.5 QBR and not the Matt Schaub who sputtered into the playoffs with a 78.6 QBR over the last 4 games. Because the Matt Schaub that ended the season is not going to get the Texans where they want to be. No matter where you rank him.
We now know what Matt Schaub we got in 2013. Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

Matt Schaub pre-foot injury...a very solid NFL QB.

In 2011 we drafted Tj Yates, but the Texans have done little since he won a play-off game to make anyone believe he is the future, somehow Case Keenum leaped frogged him. & while many were "happy" with that route, the rest of us were just hoping, praying, dreaming of a bad situation "working out" but it didn't.

That same year the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet. This was when they already had Tom Brady & Brian Hoyer on their roster.

I will always remember Schaub to Andre, thanks Matt for providing the only winning years in Houston football of my life so far.

As a guy that liked Schaub more than most others here on the forum - it is pretty difficult to appreciate him right now. He was better than many people gave him credit for, he even had one exceptional season. But he was lacking two things: he was not a winner (a guy that plays best when the game is on the line) and he was not a great competitor (a guy that gives his all when things get tough). Sure, we could`ve won a superbowl with him - but I don`t believe we could`ve won because of him. He can be a great QB when things are going our way and he doesn`t have to force it - but he can`t be the one taking the team on his back.

In the end the Schaub years were frustrating. We made the playoffs and our first playoff win with Yates and Schaub never took it to the next level. Even worse, he completely imploded last season. I almost had the feeling he is a guy that knew, the he will never be great, so he just did his job - and not a guy that would do everything to be great.

I appreciate some of the stuff he did - and I have several nice memories. But right now, I can`t really appreciate Schaub. Too many frustrations are in the way of that. Maybe I can appreciate him more someday...

Schaub currently is 13th in passer rating and 9th in completion percentage in the history of the NFL.

Wouldnt be surprised at all to see him bounce back and have a few more good years. Dude is the Rodney Dangerfield of this board.

Given that it is appreciation for his time as a Texan, NO.

I don't agree with that. If I started a David Carr appreciation thread it would get get over to the all encompassing thread in the NFL section.

At this point all Schaub threads should be merged and sent over to the non Texans section. It's over. Goodbye. Just my opinion though.

i wish schaub all the best in oakland. for what it's worth he seemed to be one of the truly honest good guys, and was a major asset to the community. he carried a heavy load while we had to build an entire roster under kubiak, after capers's disaster. he lead the league in yards, went to a few probowls, and was even 11-1 at one point. he lost part of his ear for this team and had his foot turned into an accordion. few of the greats knew how to hit the hole in a zone downfield as well as schaub and he had one of the best play-action fakes, so good in fact that it was effective even without a running game.

i dont believe he'll ever be the same player because of his foot condition and the mental beating he took over the last couple of years. he'll help the raiders though, and hopefully prove himself at least worthy as a starter again. he didnt belong here any more, but he belongs in the NFL. good luck matt schaub.

Last edited:
At this point all Schaub threads should be merged and sent over to the non Texans section. It's over. Goodbye. Just my opinion though.

I guess you would like all Schaub's threads in the NFL section to make some sort of anti-Schaub point? These sections are there for a purpose, navigation.

Schaub named starter in Oakland = NFL Section

The Matt Schaub appreciation thread = Texans Talk Section

Any thread about Schaub while he was a Texan should be in this section. If your motivation isn't an anti-Schaub thing and you simply think now that he's gone all of it should be moved, I'll just disagree.

I'm glad for the mods it doesn't naturally work that way. If I were a mod I would hate to pan the river for all things Schaub for relocation....lol.

Just my :twocents:

i wish schaub all the best in oakland. for what it's worth he seemed to be one of the truly honest good guys, and was a major asset to the community. he carried a heavy load while we had to build an entire roster under kubiak, after capers's disaster. he lead the league in yards, went to a few probowls, and was even 11-1 at one point. he lost part of his ear for this team and had his foot turned into an accordion. few of the greats knew how to hit the hole in a zone downfield as well as schaub and he had one of the best play-action fakes, so good in fact that it was effective even without a running game.

i dont believe he'll ever be the same player because of his foot condition and the mental beating he took over the last couple of years. he'll help the raiders though, and hopefully prove himself at least worthy as a starter again. he didnt belong here any more, but he belongs in the NFL. good luck matt schaub.

Perfectly stated.

I guess you would like all Schaub's threads in the NFL section to make some sort of anti-Schaub point? These sections are there for a purpose, navigation.

Schaub named starter in Oakland = NFL Section

The Matt Schaub appreciation thread = Texans Talk Section

Any thread about Schaub while he was a Texan should be in this section. If your motivation isn't an anti-Schaub thing and you simply think now that he's gone all of it should be moved, I'll just disagree.

I'm glad for the mods it doesn't naturally work that way. If I were a mod I would hate to pan the river for all things Schaub for relocation....lol.

Just my :twocents:

Your two cents are spot on.

:goodpost:
repped.

This sums it all up. Great post.

I'd be thrilled to see Schaub thrive with the Raiders. I'll be watching on opening weekend.

I cant wait till we play the raiders so MAtt can light us up

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://i59.tinypic.com/29uylnk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGwidthsize=300]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkaiIDTCAAAJRzr.jpg[/IMG]

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Matt Schaub's aware of MJD's Super Bowl comment. Said it meant a lot. Reinforced Schaub's belief in himself, #Raiders. #NFL #Texans

Schaub easily could have canceled his annual Houston charity event after being traded by Texans. Said thought never entered his mind.

Matt Schaub spoke with media for nearly 10 minutes. Upbeat and smiling. Said there's no hard feelings toward #Texans and team's fans. #NFL

#Raiders' Matt Schaub said he and his wife, Laurie, are still considering making #Houston their offseason home. Love the city. #Texans

Schaub said playing #Texans will be like when he faced #Falcons as a #Texan. Definitely looking forward to the atmosphere, competition.

Matt Schaub joked he's waiting for official #NFL schedule to be released before he circles #Texans-#Raiders on his calendar.

Matt Schaub still giving back to #Houston. #NFL #Texans #Raiders pic.twitter.com/0T6C7c01HY

Back