Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The 2023 Puzzle Mock

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
As I mentioned….building and setting the foundation in 2023 is important. I don’t see the investment into a new QB1 in RD1 as wise since there’s no guarantee Lovie and his staff get the 2024 season. Unfortunately, I see the Texans giving him the 2023 season as a final opportunity to keep the job. I think players still buy into Lovie and haven’t quit on him.

As fans, we’re 100% cognizant of the lack of talent….not b/c of bad drafts, but b/c of what Caserio inherited from the OB years. I seriously doubt the organization decided it was in their best interest to tank in 2021 and 2022. OB’s roster was seriously devoid of talent, lack of draft picks, and a dead cap. This has led to what we are seeing today.

Lovie and his staff may have to pay the ultimate price for being the coaches during this rebuild. 1-3 win seasons during this process was or should’ve been fully expected. If Lovie doesn’t get the 2024 season, it could spell the end of the road for the Mills experiment. A new HC and his staff will want their own QB and Caserio will have set the table for that to happen in 2024.

I just completed a simple 1 trade (#1 to Seattle for their #3, 37, and 52) since I see the #1 pick as being extremely more valuable to teams that are a lot closer to being complete. I did no other trades to ensure the Seahawks picks were theirs and not from other trades during the mock.

RD1
003: DT- Jalen Cater, Georgia
009: LB- Noah Sewell, Oregon **SLB**

RD2
032: TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia
037: SS- JL Skinner, Boise State
052: OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

RD3
064: RB- Zach Charbonnet, UCLA
070: LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa **MLB**

RD4
100: RG- Andrew Vorhees, USC

RD5
132: WR- AT Perry, Wake Forest

RD6
164: RB- Blake Corum, Michigan **3rd Down Back**
166: DE- Ali Gaye, LSU
184: DT- Gabe Hall, Baylor
191: CB- DJ Turner, Michigan

RD7
217: WR- Nathaniel Dell, Houston **SWR/KR**

Getting the defense fixed would be my strongest priority and to accomplish that…..the middle at all three levels would need to be addressed.

DE: Hughes
DT: Hinnish / Hall
DT: Carter
DE: Gaye

LB: Harris (WLB)
LB: Campbell (MLB)
LB: Sewell (SLB)

CB: Nelson (LCB)
SS: Skinner
FS: Pitre
CB: Stingley Jr (RCB)

CB: King II / Thomas (NCB)

This defense would finally give Lovie the talent level desired for his front seven. If Lovie fails to make it work…the next HC and his DC should see the talent on defense as a massive positive.

As I mentioned….building and setting the foundation in 2023 is important. I don’t see the investment into a new QB1 in RD1 as wise since there’s no guarantee Lovie and his staff get the 2024 season. Unfortunately, I see the Texans giving him the 2023 season as a final opportunity to keep the job. I think players still buy into Lovie and haven’t quit on him.

As fans, we’re 100% cognizant of the lack of talent….not b/c of bad drafts, but b/c of what Caserio inherited from the OB years. I seriously doubt the organization decided it was in their best interest to tank in 2021 and 2022. OB’s roster was seriously devoid of talent, lack of draft picks, and a dead cap. This has led to what we are seeing today.

Lovie and his staff may have to pay the ultimate price for being the coaches during this rebuild. 1-3 win seasons during this process was or should’ve been fully expected. If Lovie doesn’t get the 2024 season, it could spell the end of the road for the Mills experiment. A new HC and his staff will want their own QB and Caserio will have set the table for that to happen in 2024.

I just completed a simple 1 trade (#1 to Seattle for their #3, 37, and 52) since I see the #1 pick as being extremely more valuable to teams that are a lot closer to being complete. I did no other trades to ensure the Seahawks picks were theirs and not from other trades during the mock.

RD1

RD2

RD3

RD4

RD5

RD6

RD7

Getting the defense fixed would be my strongest priority and to accomplish that…..the middle at all three levels would need to be addressed.

This defense would finally give Lovie the talent level desired for his front seven. If Lovie fails to make it work…the next HC and his DC should see the talent on defense as a massive positive.
You mean like the Colts huh?

You mean like the Colts huh?

Actually….no. Colts never entered my mind as I was only looking at the Texans and how they might get better.

Personally, I don’t see an organizational changing QB1 (Franchise QB) in the 2023 NFL Draft. If I were Caserio. I’d give two shites regarding what the media and analyst propose for the first pick of the draft and go with a plan for what makes the team better in 2023.

Last edited:
Actually….no. Colts never entered my mind as I was only looking at the Texans and how they might get better.

Personally, I don’t see an organizational changing QB1 (Franchise QB) in the 2023 NFL Draft. If I were Caserio. I’d give two shites regarding what the media and analyst propose for the first pick of the draft and go with a plan for what makes the team better in 2023.

Not just better in 2023, but a better future.

You don't see it because you don't want to see it. I mentioned the Colts because this was their strategy until that dude retired and they're on their 5th qb in 5 years. Since Luck retired, all they needed was a qb which is the most difficult position to find by far.

You don't see it because you don't want to see it. I mentioned the Colts because this was their strategy until that dude retired and they're on their 5th qb in 5 years. Since Luck retired, all they needed was a qb which is the most difficult position to find by far.

Actually, they burned through Luck before finally getting around to doing the right thing. Like the Texans have done as well….burned up a QB before ever getting the pieces around them.

Actually, they burned through Luck before finally getting around to doing the right thing. Like the Texans have done as well….burned up a QB before ever getting the pieces around them.
Luck some of it on himself , much like Watson, by being a playmaker. Soon as they hired Reich and started shortening some of those routes, he wasn't getting hit as much. Kubiak had the came in, evaluated Carr and couldn't wait to get rid of Carr. Carr went to Carolina and let old ass Testerverde outplay him. That means he was never the dude. Burrough gets sacked alot, so did Ben, Russ, Rodgers,and Watson and they still play well.

Not just better in 2023, but a better future.

I meant to ask you about the Mock and how it might address the defense. Also, adding TE- Washington, C- Stromberg, RB- Charbonnet, RG- Vorhees, WR- Perry, 3RB- Corum, and SWR- Dell would be strong additions to the offense.

Also, I don’t believe it would be too far fetched if the Texans got 3 picks for the #1 pick in the draft.

I meant to ask you about the Mock and how it might address the defense. Also, adding TE- Washington, C- Stromberg, RB- Charbonnet, RG- Vorhees, WR- Perry, 3RB- Corum, and SWR- Dell would be strong additions to the offense.

Also, I don’t believe it would be too far fetched if the Texans got 3 picks for the #1 pick in the draft.

It doesn't address the defense. I would look at drafting an edge somewhere within the 1st three rds. Edge is one of the strengths of this draft. Draft to the strengths of the draft and good things will follow.

If Caserio trades the 1st pick in the draft he probably can atleast get a 49ers/Lance type deal. That would set this franchise up for yrs to come. Cal just has to stay patient and dont give in to the fan/Media pressure. Luhnow showed what can happen if an owner can remain patient. Do I think this is in Cal's DNA? Nope

RD1

RD2

RD3

RD4

RD5

RD6

RD7

Zach Charbonnet won’t make it out of 2nd, if not 1st. He will be an NFL Bell Cow and nice complement to Pierce.

Back