Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texian's 2017 Post Combine Mock.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I approach the 2017 NFL Draft with some consternation. 2016 and Bob McNair shot the Houston Texans in the foot for the 2017 Marathon. McNair spending $128MM for 3 players in 2016 tied the Texans hands in 2017. Texans also ended 2016 with rumors of discontent in the Boardroom. I don't expect those personalities to become BFFs over the off season. There was much speculation that O'Brien was on his way out in 2016. I believe the Texans are now in a similar situation as the LSU Tigers and Les Miles were in starting the 2016 season. I expect things will get get worse and not any better. Unfortunately odds are that O'Brien is coaching his last season as a Texan. That doesn't bode well for drafting players in 2017 with a high probability of new Head Coach and system being in place in 2018. This is the bed that Bob McNair has made so we must now sleep in it.

THE MOCK.

PICK #25, The Texans are on the clock. WE HAVE A TRADE!

The Texans have traded their 1st RD, 25th pick and their 3rd RD, 89th pick to the San Francisco 49ers for their 2nd RD. 34th pick, 3rd RD. 66th pick and 4th RD. 109th pick. (San Francisco selects; Patrick Mahomes) SF has a bigger void at QB than Texans, moved up for a QB 5 yr. contract. Points, Texans = 865; SF = 896

With the 34th pick in the 2nd RD of 2017 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select:

Rd 2 (34) - 1A. = Garrett Bolles, OT Utah; 1B. = Cam Robinson, OT Alabama; 1C. = Dion Dawkins, OT, Temple

RD 2 (57) - Nathan Peterman, QB Pittsburgh (My favorite QB in this draft, IMHO, best feet and release, many comparisons to Kirk Cousins, see Clemson and Penn St games)

RD 3 (66)
- Jumaine Elemunor, OG Texas A&M

Texans trade 4th RD picks #109 and #131 to the Atlanta Falcons for their 3rd RD (95) pick: Points, Texans = 117; Atlanta =120

RD 3 (95) - D'onta Foreman, RB Texas

RD 5 (169) - Corn Elder, CB Miami

RD 6 (188) - Chad Kelly, QB Ole Miss - (Why? Because Texans are in QB Hell! Take a chance on the DNA and the best arm in this draft w/ a 6th RD pick, he spends a year on IR, maybe he can grow up, mature and get his temper and anger management under control, possible day 2 draft trade in 3 years if he's not the man.)

RD 7 (243) - Khalid Abdullah, RB James Madison (Lightning to Foreman's Thunder)

Texans begin 2018 without Osweiler, Miller and Allen.

REVISED: Already, based on reports on how well Peterman threw the ball and performed at the Combine he will likely be long gone by the end of the 3rd RD. Thinking back to what Belichick said about Garoppolo and QBs, you have to get those guys early. Foreman's foot stress fracture has dropped him to RD 3. Need more info from @CloakNNNdagger about Foreman's injury.

Last edited:
I would say that's bold .

If you can come away with Mahomes and Bolles , Robinson , or Dawkins the rest is gravy IMO .

Foreman has a stress in his foot not sure what that means now .

The A&M guard or Siragusa would be good with me here .

As far as the other QBs go why not try the chinaberry tactic .

Post combine? Isn't the combine still going on?

Yes it is but I have seen enough to address the Texans draft. I don't think there is much question that the Texans need to address the offense. They unloaded on WRs the last 2 years so they are NOT part of the equation in the 2107 draft. So we have seen OL, QBs and RBs. A few positions on defense can be addressed via free agency. The BEST long term FIX is via the draft and that's why it's O heavy.

Last edited:
I would say that's bold .

If you can come away with Mahomes and Bolles , Robinson , or Dawkins the rest is gravy IMO .

Foreman has a stress in his foot not sure what that means now .

The A&M guard or Siragusa would be good with me here .

As far as the other QBs go why not try the chinaberry tactic .

NOT coming away with Mahomes, traded 1st RD pick to SF who moved up to draft him. Foreman is expected to do all drills at his March 28 Pro Day. If he doesn't the mock could change.

NOT coming away with Mahomes, traded 1st RD pick to SF who moved up to draft him.

That makes more sense . I was thinking you lost your mind .

Watching the first batch of QBs , I thought Beathard threw the best . They said if Kelly was there he would be a top 5 QB on talent alone .

That makes more sense . I was thinking you lost your mind .

Watching the first batch of QBs , I thought Beathard threw the best . They said if Kelly was there he would be a top 5 QB on talent alone .
Kelly has the best arm and the worst head. Dismissed from Clemson for arguing with coaches. Last year had a confrontation at his brothers football game. Uninvited to the Combine. Has serious temper, anger issues and maturity problems.

Huh? What happened to Miller?

I think he's suggesting that they cut Miller after 2017 and save the $4.75 against the cap, which would make alot of sense if the Texans were to take 2 RBs in this draft.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of Miller either. He doesn't often get more than the bare minimum. He can't or is afraid to keep his legs churning and fight for yardage, often initiating the process of going to ground prior to even being hit. I think he runs with a self preservation about him that severely limits his effectiveness. He also doesn't have great vision.

I think it's a good idea to plan on not having Miller past this year. He's not worth $6.75M in 2018, nor $7.25M in 2019. You should be able to get a RB in the 4th round that can provide the per carry effectiveness that Miller provided for us last year. Unless, of course, you draft Ervin, who touched the ball a total of 9 times and fumbled 3 times.

I think he's suggesting that they cut Miller after 2017 and save the $4.75 against the cap, which would make alot of sense if the Texans were to take 2 RBs in this draft.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of Miller either. He doesn't often get more than the bare minimum. He can't or is afraid to keep his legs churning and fight for yardage, often initiating the process of going to ground prior to even being hit. I think he runs with a self preservation about him that severely limits his effectiveness. He also doesn't have great vision.

I think it's a good idea to plan on not having Miller past this year. He's not worth $6.75M in 2018, nor $7.25M in 2019. You should be able to get a RB in the 4th round that can provide the per carry effectiveness that Miller provided for us last year. Unless, of course, you draft Ervin, who touched the ball a total of 9 times and fumbled 3 times.

Exactly, and when a RB has 300+ carries (overworked) in a season (Miller had 318 in 2016) they tend to develop tired or dead legs the following year. Why after 392 rushing attempts in 2014 Dallas decidied not to resign Demarco Murray even after Murray was the NFL Rushing Leader, Offensive player of the year with 1800+ rushing yards and 13 TDs. I agree with you that Miller will not be worth what they are paying him in 2018 and 2019. You can find similar production for a lot less. Miller performed much better in Miami. Unless Texans address the deficiencies in their O Line the running game will continue to suffer. No sense paying BIG bucks for a RB until he has a good OL to run behind. This is one time I think McNair should intervene with any O'Brien-Smith bickering and demand the rebuild of the OL.

Last edited:
Bolles & Robinson are completely unrealistic to still be on the board #34 so Dawkins is your pick.

Need you to explain further, man crush on Peterman, I wasn't all that impressed with his throws, looks very journeyman material to me.

I will take closer look at Elemunor. Maybe make move here to address TE & snag one from best class in years.

Totally down taking RB in 3rd. Your points are well taken in regards to Miller. Texans are setting themselves up for failure going into next season with only one starting quality back.

Miami seems to have a bunch of talent once again, Elder looks like a good corner to groom since its foregone conclusion Bouye finds greener pasture.

I detest double dipping on a single position with so many holes to fill. Chances are its going to take more than one year to fix this thing so one per draft until repaired. Only way a QB can improve is with reps, not enough to go around. If Kelly goes undrafted fine, no harm in placing him on practice squad to see what he's got without costing another roster spot,

Besides corner, Texans could use another defensive player. LB who can cover would be nice. Nose to rotate on DL. Another edge rusher to develop, not to mention safety help.

Defensive portion of the 2017 Combine starts shortly, lol

Bolles & Robinson are completely unrealistic to still be on the board #34 so Dawkins is your pick.

Need you to explain further, man crush on Peterman, I wasn't all that impressed with his throws, looks very journeyman material to me.

I will take closer look at Elemunor. Maybe make move here to address TE & snag one from best class in years.

Totally down taking RB in 3rd. Your points are well taken in regards to Miller. Texans are setting themselves up for failure going into next season with only one starting quality back.

Miami seems to have a bunch of talent once again, Elder looks like a good corner to groom since its foregone conclusion Bouye finds greener pasture.

I detest double dipping on a single position with so many holes to fill. Chances are its going to take more than one year to fix this thing so one per draft until repaired. Only way a QB can improve is with reps, not enough to go around. If Kelly goes undrafted fine, no harm in placing him on practice squad to see what he's got without costing another roster spot,

Besides corner, Texans could use another defensive player. LB who can cover would be nice. Nose to rotate on DL. Another edge rusher to develop, not to mention safety help.

Defensive portion of the 2017 Combine starts shortly, lol

If it is realistic for Bolles and Robinson to be there at #25 then it is NOT unrealistic that one of them would be there 9 picks later at #34, why the 1A, 1B, 1C. Unlikely yes, unrealistic, no.

Regarding Peterman, not a man crush, an objective evaluation, I have watched four complete game videos including the Clemson game twice. I really like his footwork and his quick release. At this point I would say he is better than any QB on the Texans roster but that is not really saying much. And the Texans have had BIG hole at QB for the last 3 years that has not been addressed except for Osweiler and that FAILED! It would not surprise me if Peterman turned out to be a better QB than 4-5 QBs likely to get drafted ahead of him.

TE is the strongest position on the O top to bottom. Depth can be addressed via free agency. To many holes on O to fix them all via draft and TE is not really a problem. Right now TE is the strength of the O.

I'm not fan of redundancy either but when you have as BIG a void as the Texans do at QB for as long as they have, desperate times require desperate measures. You do what you have to do to fix the most important position on the team. Besides more often than not 6th RD draft picks don't make the team and if by chance you can get another Jim Kelly in the 6th RD, YOU TAKE IT! There is a good chance that Kelly, if he doesn't become your starter, he can be a day 2 or possibly day 1 draft pick trade in 2020. GM think not Coach think.

Defense starts today and I don't really see any humor in that. However you're aware that more often than not the Texans D is who is responsible for all of their wins. If the Texans D was average and ordinary, the Texans O would have made it possible to be picking in the Top 5 in the NFL Draft. Until you fix the OL and QB position this will not change.

This draft based on the same repeating inadequacies of the offense has me going in two directions I am not a fan of, redundancy and not taking BPA.

Last edited:
fair!

I'm intrigued with Davis Webb. Fits O'Brian mold of NFL QB. Patrick Mahomes beat him out because he is the superior spread, gun slinging style of QB. Webb looks more comfortable in Pro (O'Brian) style. Big frame, good core strength & effortless velocity with football that can make all the required throws.

only things I have a problem with is I'd keep Miller. beef up our oline and he should be fine, draft someone like foreman or Galman later like you have suggested to replace him in the coming years. I'm fine with Peterman he is not my preferred choice as Mahomes is my favorite in the draft, but I see him not fitting what OB wants to do. So I'm fine with targeting a Peterman or Webb in the 2nd or 3rd. Webb impressed me at the combine, but Peterman showed me he also had a stronger arm then I was seeing on tape.

I also don't like double dipping into the qb and RB pool. Kelly is just to much of a head case for me, and never really put his tools together in college which doesn't translate well for his pro potential. also I'm fine with keeping hunt as our fast change of pace runner. he is smalls but always falls forward, showed good vision this year, and always seems to convert one 3rd and long when we need it. I'd cut Ervin in camp unless he made a drastic improvement

only things I have a problem with is I'd keep Miller. beef up our oline and he should be fine, draft someone like foreman or Galman later like you have suggested to replace him in the coming years. I'm fine with Peterman he is not my preferred choice as Mahomes is my favorite in the draft, but I see him not fitting what OB wants to do. So I'm fine with targeting a Peterman or Webb in the 2nd or 3rd. Webb impressed me at the combine, but Peterman showed me he also had a stronger arm then I was seeing on tape.

I also don't like double dipping into the qb and RB pool. Kelly is just to much of a head case for me, and never really put his tools together in college which doesn't translate well for his pro potential. also I'm fine with keeping hunt as our fast change of pace runner. he is smalls but always falls forward, showed good vision this year, and always seems to convert one 3rd and long when we need it. I'd cut Ervin in camp unless he made a drastic improvement
I think Miller's production could drop this season from being overused last season. They should be able to get similar production for considerably less $ they will be paying Miller in 18' and 19'. One of the reasons Miller was over used is because RB depth is rather paltry.

We disagree on Kelly, he proved he could win some BIG time games, in a BIG time conference, including beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I'm not a fan of double dipping either but when you live in QB hell for 3 years and every attempt to get out only digs a deeper hole, you do what you have to do, including double dipping.

I think Miller's production could drop this season from being overused last season. They should be able to get similar production for considerably less $ they will be paying Miller in 18' and 19'. One of the reasons Miller was over used is because RB depth is rather paltry.

We disagree on Kelly, he proved he could win some BIG time games, in a BIG time conference, including beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I'm not a fan of double dipping either but when you live in QB hell for 3 years and every attempt to get out only digs a deeper hole, you do what you have to do, including double dipping.

I see Miller's production dipping, just not enough to justify cutting him this season. I want to take a rb in this deep class, but I don't want us to go into next season with a couple rookies and blue at the position either.

Yea I don't think we will ever agree on Kelly I give him credit for some of his wins, but overall his tape to me is unimpressive and he had the advantage of playing with a ton of talent at Ole miss. If I'm going to double dip and get a late round project qb I think I rather go with a Dobbs or Evans.

I see Miller's production dipping, just not enough to justify cutting him this season. I want to take a rb in this deep class, but I don't want us to go into next season with a couple rookies and blue at the position either.

Yea I don't think we will ever agree on Kelly I give him credit for some of his wins, but overall his tape to me is unimpressive and he had the advantage of playing with a ton of talent at Ole miss. If I'm going to double dip and get a late round project qb I think I rather go with a Dobbs or Evans.

I don't think there is any way that we would cut Miller prior to this season. It's 2018 we are taking about.

I'm not a huge fan of double dipping in the draft for a RB this year. I think one is adequate, especially if you take one in the second round, but it is a 7th rounder.

Taking 2 QBs is an interesting move, I can't say that I would be against it. I also like Peterman and a 6th round flier on someone like Kelly isn't a bad pick, IMO.

I like the idea of the mock, depending on FA and I like the idea of trading down if we feel stuck at 25. I would have liked to see a safety or LB, but I get that that's not the strategy here.

Elder is a good player, from what I saw, so I do like that pick for a 4th corner.

I've been on the record as being against Chad Kelly...if he's there late in the draft then why not?
Yes he's a basketcase. Yes he has/had charges pending. Yes I'd expect that we'd cut him much quicker than the Browns did with Manziel.

I agree with Texian.

Yes...that just happened. Addressed the OL, QB, RB, and brought in a CB to replace Bouye. Hopefully work the UDFA market to bring in depth at DL and ST. I hope like hell that Covington takes a huge step this season, as well as Devon Still, but don't bank on it. We're also going to need someone to backup Reader if Big Vince actually retires.

Well 2 yrs ago Ole Miss beat both LSU/Alabama in the same season with Kelly at QB. That speaks volumes about Kelly playing well in big games. You know kinda the anti Schaub.

BTW, Kelly's skillset is perfect for BOB's offense. Too bad Bob/Ricky McNair will never let that happen.

I'd take a flyer on Kelly in the 5th - 7th because arm talent and pedigree like that are hard to find. I sign Romo, keep Brock and Savage for this year with Kelly on the PS. Next year I cut Brock and try to get Savage on a reasonable backup QB deal with Kelly as a QB3. I think Kelly has QB1 potential, and Romo (if he can stay healthy, big if) buys him 2-3 years of development and maturity through humbling him. He's too much of a natural talent.

I'd take a flyer on Kelly in the 5th - 7th because arm talent and pedigree like that are hard to find. I sign Romo, keep Brock and Savage for this year with Kelly on the PS. Next year I cut Brock and try to get Savage on a reasonable backup QB deal with Kelly as a QB3. I think Kelly has QB1 potential, and Romo (if he can stay healthy, big if) buys him 2-3 years of development and maturity through humbling him. He's too much of a natural talent.

If Kelly is on PS that means any team can take him. At that point you're better off cutting either Oz or Savage. More than likely Savage since cutting Oz would be a $25M cap hit; $6M more than if he just sit him.

Does Oz have an PS eligibility left?

If Kelly is on PS that means any team can take him. At that point you're better off cutting either Oz or Savage. More than likely Savage since cutting Oz would be a $25M cap hit; $6M more than if he just sit him.

Does Oz have an PS eligibility left?
Because of his severe injury at the end of last year you could put Kelly on IR for a year.

If it is realistic for Bolles and Robinson to be there at #25 then it is NOT unrealistic that one of them would be there 9 picks later at #34, why the 1A, 1B, 1C. Unlikely yes, unrealistic, no.

Regarding Peterman, not a man crush, an objective evaluation, I have watched four complete game videos including the Clemson game twice. I really like his footwork and his quick release. At this point I would say he is better than any QB on the Texans roster but that is not really saying much. And the Texans have had BIG hole at QB for the last 3 years that has not been addressed except for Osweiler and that FAILED! It would not surprise me if Peterman turned out to be a better QB than 4-5 QBs likely to get drafted ahead of him.

TE is the strongest position on the O top to bottom. Depth can be addressed via free agency. To many holes on O to fix them all via draft and TE is not really a problem. Right now TE is the strength of the O.

I'm not fan of redundancy either but when you have as BIG a void as the Texans do at QB for as long as they have, desperate times require desperate measures. You do what you have to do to fix the most important position on the team. Besides more often than not 6th RD draft picks don't make the team and if by chance you can get another Jim Kelly in the 6th RD, YOU TAKE IT! There is a good chance that Kelly, if he doesn't become your starter, he can be a day 2 or possibly day 1 draft pick trade in 2020. GM think not Coach think.

Defense starts today and I don't really see any humor in that. However you're aware that more often than not the Texans D is who is responsible for all of their wins. If the Texans D was average and ordinary, the Texans O would have made it possible to be picking in the Top 5 in the NFL Draft. Until you fix the OL and QB position this will not change.

This draft based on the same repeating inadequacies of the offense has me going in two directions I am not a fan of, redundancy and not taking BPA.

There are only two TE's on the roster, Anderson an 2nd year undrafted player and Fido, who is solid but not a game changer. This class of TE's is special and the Texans should grab one of them especially since solid starting TE's can be found this year in Day 3.

There are only two TE's on the roster, Anderson an 2nd year undrafted player and Fido, who is solid but not a game changer. This class of TE's is special and the Texans should grab one of them especially since solid starting TE's can be found this year in Day 3.

Funny how New England gave away a mid round pick for a TE. It's as if they don't believe the hype about this year's TEs

Funny how New England gave away a mid round pick for a TE. It's as if they don't believe the hype about this year's TEs

They swapped a 4th for a 6th. They probably think they can get Allen to play up to his potential. And let's not act like they haven't swung and missed on these reclamation projects before i.e. Haynesworth, Ochocinco. Both times they traded for these players and ended up getting little to nothing. Believe the hype the TE class is still for real despite NE swapping picks for Allen

They swapped a 4th for a 6th. They probably think they can get Allen to play up to his potential. And let's not act like they haven't swung and missed on these reclamation projects before i.e. Haynesworth, Ochocinco. Both times they traded for these players and ended up getting little to nothing. Believe the hype the TE class is still for real despite NE swapping picks for Allen

They've also hit on a lot, Moss/ Blount/Stallworth/Dillon/Amendola,Long/Waters/Chung/Bennett off of the top my head. Fact is one of the reasons the Pats have stayed on top for over a decade is they take advantage of other teams misfit players. They take chances on players other teams don't. I mean they even gave Floyd a chance. They don't care about players pasts they only care if the players can help them win. A novel concept.

I'm just saying what it looks like, not that I agree or disagree. This post, of yours, only strengthens my belief that they think poorly of this TE class if they are looking at Allen as a reclamation project that may not even work.

I'm just saying what it looks like, not that I agree or disagree. This post, of yours, only strengthens my belief that they think poorly of this TE class if they are looking at Allen as a reclamation project that may not even work.

I think your drawing too big of a conclusion from one move. Maybe they like to add a veteran as hedge against the inevitable Gronk injury, even still I don't see how this prohibits them from drafting a TE, in fact if you think about it, losing Bennett and accepting the reality that Gronk has very little chance of making it through a season would mean they need to replace two guys. All in all surmising that this deal is the pats taking on a complete indictment on the incoming TE class is a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Case in point: Aaron Hernandez.

True, occasionally it bites them in the butt.

But it's all about winning for them and they have done a lot of that over the past 15 yrs. I could live with an occasional draft character mistake for a winner. I laugh when people say McNair tries to model his team after the Pats. No he doesn't, except the for the making $$$$ like the Pats do.

Another reason BOB wants out.

Uh huh.

Let's see, both Travis Johnson and Jerome Mathis had assault charges in college. Omobi tested positive for pot at the combine. Cushing had universal steroid belief.

Leach - assault
Cook - pot possession
Jacoby - DUI
Bryan Pittman - DUI
Coleman - DUI
Ramon Walker - PI

None let go.

Uh huh.

Let's see, both Travis Johnson and Jerome Mathis had assault charges in college. Omobi tested positive for pot at the combine. Cushing had universal steroid belief.

Leach - assault
Cook - pot possession
Jacoby - DUI
Bryan Pittman - DUI
Coleman - DUI
Ramon Walker - PI

None let go.

How many this yr, or the last 5 yrs for that matter. There are a laundry list of Pats if you go back that far for them.

I read somewhere the Texans are the cleanest team in the NFL.

How many this yr, or the last 5 yrs for that matter. There are a laundry list of Pats if you go back that far for them.

I read somewhere the Texans are the cleanest team in the NFL.

you say that like it's a negative

Patriots are going to sign Stephon Gilmore. Looks like they think this is a really bad DB class too.

Or maybe they just wanted a couple of veterans at important spots instead of rookies.

you say that like it's a negative

It is if you're planning on competing with the Pats.

The Pats have a larger/more talented player pool to select from than the Texans do. The Texans are at a disadvantage.

Patriots are going to sign Stephon Gilmore. Looks like they think this is a really bad DB class too.

Or maybe they just wanted a couple of veterans at important spots instead of rookies.

Apples & Oranges.

Free agency has worked hand in hand with Pats drafting and developing players. On top of that they know exactly when to cut and trim fat contracts, usually with a pile of future draft picks in return, restocking roster.

Texans free agency record is abysmal to say the least. Also eating fat contracts, trading picks to move higher in draft out of desperation. Just the opposite of New England. Don't know how Rick has snowed Bob all these years?

In summary players know they can play for a Championship in New England and may accept lesser contract. In order to consider Houston they need Texans to show them the money.

Back