Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TexansTalk HC Choice Poll

Who would you prefer as the next Texans HC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Any day now we can get the news on the next head honcho, so before that day comes how about we get a semi-formal idea of what name would make Texans Talk a happy place (if that's possible)?

This is a 'who do you want' question less than a 'who do you predict' question, and so I picked the names from those most often associated as fan hopefuls. But I'm just one imperfect listener and so there's also an 'other' selection in case your own personal preference isn't among the selections. And if you have an 'other' please offer him up and why.

Hopefully we can look back years from now and see just how much better we've chosen than this guy..

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I voted "other" because this isn't something I put a lot of time into investigating the info on my own as some here have. I have no idea of what to think of any of these people other than what I read here on this board. Which means there are shittons of info filtered through the ideologies of multiple posters. It's like popping a bag behind a cat and guessing which way it will jump. And it's the only realistic method of trying to predict anything the Texans do.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Any day now we can get the news on the next head honcho, so before that day comes how about we get a semi-formal idea of what name would make Texans Talk a happy place (if that's possible)?

This is a 'who do you want' question less than a 'who do you predict' question, and so I picked the names from those most often associated as fan hopefuls. But I'm just one imperfect listener and so there's also an 'other' selection in case your own personal preference isn't among the selections. And if you have an 'other' please offer him up and why.

Hopefully we can look back years from now and see just how much better we've chosen than this guy..

Is it a one pick thing?

Can I change my vote?

I think right now I want Saleh, but Daboll is starting to grow on me & I haven't even started looking at the college dudes @Texian mentioned.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Bieniemy. I love the KC offense the past 3 years. Wide open, but still has elements of ball control. Moves the QB around to reduce hits. Great red zone concepts. Plus, I think Bieniemy has an edge about him that will be contagious. Watch this video and tell me you're not excited about the opportunity to get Bieniemy as the Texans HC.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Texans rank 3rd of the 5 teams looking for a HC. Main reason...FO and the owner's. Taken from NFL.com

Houston Texans #3

Deshaun Watson. That is what makes this job attractive; that's how good the quarterback is. The problem is, the Texans don't have a whole lot else to recommend them. They don't have many other pieces to build around long-term, especially if J.J. Watt departs (although a new braintrust will have a blank slate in front of it). Worse, Houston doesn't have picks in the first and second rounds of this's year draft after both were traded away in the deal to acquire Laremy Tunsil in 2019, and there is a lot of money tied up in veteran contracts.

A roster rebuild could take a while, and there are plenty of questions about ownership -- Cal McNair has taken over for his late father, Robert McNair, and this is his first big hire -- and about who has influence in the organization. That could scare off some candidates. The Texans also need a general manager, a job that former coach Bill O'Brien held at the same time as he was the head coach

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I voted other for Marvin Lewis. I’m favoring experience over everything right now and I think Lewis is the perfect retread with the right combo of experience, connections in the NFL and skills in coaching and selection of staff to get us to the next level.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Bieniemy. I love the KC offense the past 3 years. Wide open, but still has elements of ball control. Moves the QB around to reduce hits. Great red zone concepts. Plus, I think Bieniemy has an edge about him that will be contagious. Watch this video and tell me you're not excited about the opportunity to get Bieniemy as the Texans HC.

Tbh. I dont get excited watching this. I see a man who thrived off another’s talents. There’s a reason why he only recently got a “job with more responsibilities”. Too think he has ANYTHING to do with the success of KCs offense is just silly to me. The ship will keep sailing after he leaves. Proofs in the pudding with Andy Reid lead teams.

Bieniemy is fools gold imo.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
I voted other for Marvin Lewis. I’m favoring experience over everything right now and I think Lewis is the perfect retread with the right combo of experience, connections in the NFL and skills in coaching and selection of staff to get us to the next level.
Marvin Lewis is like the previous 2 HC's we've had. He might have some good years, he will have some bad years. He'll get you to the playoffs and then you'll get bounced early. Just what we need. More of the same "experience" that we've had since Kubiak started coaching here. Let's keep that mediocrity coming. It is what we are used to.

Kubiak is "retiring" again. Perhaps we can lure him back. As much as I disliked his coaching towards the end....at least he's been successful with the Ravens and Broncos since leaving here. Since we're throwing out wild ideas and all.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Marvin Lewis is like the previous 2 HC's we've had. He might have some good years, he will have some bad years. He'll get you to the playoffs and then you'll get bounced early. Just what we need. More of the same "experience" that we've had since Kubiak started coaching here. Let's keep that mediocrity coming. It is what we are used to.

Kubiak is "retiring" again. Perhaps we can lure him back. As much as I disliked his coaching towards the end....at least he's been successful with the Ravens and Broncos since leaving here. Since we're throwing out wild ideas and all.
take a chill pill.

your assertion has no basis in logic whatsoever. Kubiak inherited a clusterfuck here & had limited success & had no experience as a HC at all. He then leaves here with said experience inherits a little bit better situation in Denver and wins a SB. BoB was a hot HC prospect with limited experience as a HC.......on the college level. Completely different situations from each other and different from Lewis in that if he’s brought here, he won’t be learning how to do the job like the last 2

Further, wherever you land in terms of the type of HC you want, every single 1 of those guys is gonna have a drawback whether they’re brand new HC’s with no experience in hiring staffs and running a team...or they’re learning the position..........or they’re retreads with bad history at their previous stops.

I want a guy who doesn’t have to spend the 1st 2 years just learning how to be a HC and manage a game. Sorry that offends you.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want a guy who doesn’t have to spend the 1st 2 years just learning how to be a HC and manage a game. Sorry that offends you.
I hear you. But, there are coaches new & old still learning to manage games. When to call timeouts, when to challenge, when to fake a punt, etc...

I'm not against a retread, I'm not against Marvin Lewis, but I'm not sold on his game management.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I hear you. But, there are coaches new & old still learning to manage games. When to call timeouts, when to challenge, when to fake a punt, etc...

I'm not against a retread, I'm not against Marvin Lewis, but I'm not sold on his game management.
agreed,I’m just saying the thought process that he’d be more of the same of what we just went through with Kubiak and BoB is an erroneous conclusion. All 3 are really Totally different situations.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Any Reid has been around a very long time, he's considered one of the best in the game and I know we all recall him getting hammered for making WTF calls and TOs. He's gotten better but he still makes gaffes occasionally but when you're packing a Lombardi in your back pocket it quiets the media boo birds....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
agreed,I’m just saying the thought process that he’d be more of the same of what we just went through with Kubiak and BoB is an erroneous conclusion. All 3 are really Totally different situations.
Agreed.

Whoever we hire, we're going to have to find that bucket of luck those SB winning teams have that makes so many things bounce their way.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
take a chill pill.

your assertion has no basis in logic whatsoever. Kubiak inherited a clusterfuck here & had limited success & had no experience as a HC at all. He then leaves here with said experience inherits a little bit better situation in Denver and wins a SB. BoB was a hot HC prospect with limited experience as a HC.......on the college level. Completely different situations from each other and different from Lewis in that if he’s brought here, he won’t be learning how to do the job like the last 2

Further, wherever you land in terms of the type of HC you want, every single 1 of those guys is gonna have a drawback whether they’re brand new HC’s with no experience in hiring staffs and running a team...or they’re learning the position..........or they’re retreads with bad history at their previous stops.

It doesn't offend me. You're also a little touchy when someone disagrees with your HC choice. Also, wouldn't Marvin Lewis be inheriting a 'clusterf...' that you said had no real basis on my comparison with Kubiak.....inheriting a 'clusterf...'? BOB was just ill prepared for the job at hand. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and becomes a better head coach that can trust the people around him without having him micromanage everything into obsolescence.

I just think you're suggestion of hiring Marvin Lewis is straight trash (him as HC). He is, was, and always has been a mediocre HC. Nothing more, nothing less. He'll have you in the conversation of being an average to above average team. He'll never get you anything more than a playoff appearance here and there....and probably won't be winning those. That is his history. That experience you're rambling on about......was the same experience I'm talking about. I'm factoring his body of work into my assessment.

For the record.....I wanted Gary gone 2-3 years before he was. I certainly don't want him back in any capacity. Same with BOB. I'm tired of same old mediocrity. Marvin Lewis is the epitome of mediocrity.

Perhaps the other guys on that list do bring the same thing that we've had. Nobody really knows because most of them haven't been HC's (if any)...can't remember the list. However I know for a fact what Marvin Lewis brings. I say 'No Thanks'.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
It doesn't offend me. You're also a little touchy when someone disagrees with your HC choice. Also, wouldn't Marvin Lewis be inheriting a 'clusterf...' that you said had no real basis on my comparison with Kubiak.....inheriting a 'clusterf...'? BOB was just ill prepared for the job at hand. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and becomes a better head coach that can trust the people around him without having him micromanage everything into obsolescence.

I just think you're suggestion of hiring Marvin Lewis is straight trash (him as HC). He is, was, and always has been a mediocre HC. Nothing more, nothing less. He'll have you in the conversation of being an average to above average team. He'll never get you anything more than a playoff appearance here and there....and probably won't be winning those. That is his history. That experience you're rambling on about......was the same experience I'm talking about. I'm factoring his body of work into my assessment.

For the record.....I wanted Gary gone 2-3 years before he was. I certainly don't want him back in any capacity. Same with BOB. I'm tired of same old mediocrity. Marvin Lewis is the epitome of mediocrity.

Perhaps the other guys on that list do bring the same thing that we've had. Nobody really knows because most of them haven't been HC's (if any)...can't remember the list. However I know for a fact what Marvin Lewis brings. I say 'No Thanks'.
Sounds to me you’re just spitballing with generic qualifications that as I said, have no basis in logic whatsoever. Everyone here wants better than “mediocrity”...just saying that is saying water is wet. You also have no idea what he would bring HERE in this situation. you’re just basing it on his 1 stop in Cincy. Fine, yes he failed there ..but he also won quite a bit there as a HC too .....which is more than any of these other candidates available can say who for all intents & purposes haven’t achieved **** other than currently being associated with a team that won recently. If The Pats, Seahawks, Giants and whole host of other teams who hired retread HC’s that failed badly at their 1st gigs didn’t hire them, they’d all be a few Lombardi’s and countless other deep playoff runs lighter than they are now.

In the last 15 years, do you know how many of these 1st time hotshot young OC/DC’s won a SB at their 1st gig? Try 2...the rest all had been previously fired at their 1st gigs.

So to act like taking a chance on any of these other guys is a better option and is gonna yield better results just b/c they haven’t failed yet...well, that’s quite stupid logic.

Texansballer74

The Marine

How was he trash when his team was pretty good in the regular season? All the while playing in a very tough and competitive division. Well he had four straight years on 10+ wins. But I can see why one would say he was trash. They had a lot bad seasons throughout his 16 year tenure. I’m thinking with an offense that is capable of being explosive he could concentrate on fixing that defense ( his bread and butter). If he’s able to build that defense back up, then we’re talking. Offensive line woes is another topic in itself.

Killing Floor

Practice Squad
Art Smith would be my first, I think EB is going to have to "think about it" if we offer. Surprised to see Brady so high, the Panthers weren't hard to beat this year. I think Smith or EB could complement our players but between us and the other coach shoppers Falcons have a shorter path toward postseason so I believe EB is thinking about that.
And a monkey riding a unicycle would do a better job than O'Brien, at least they wouldn't make it worse. One man's opinion.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
How was he trash when his team was pretty good in the regular season? All the while playing in a very tough and competitive division. Well he had four straight years on 10+ wins. But I can see why one would say he was trash. They had a lot bad seasons throughout his 16 year tenure. I’m thinking with an offense that is capable of being explosive he could concentrate on fixing that defense ( his bread and butter). If he’s able to build that defense back up, then we’re talking. Offensive line woes is another topic in itself.
To me...he coached the Bengals similar to how the Texans were coached. Yes, the regular season record looks good (even great) sometime. However, come playoff time, did anyone really ever think the Bengals were going to be a force to be reckoned with? Maybe they'd get lucky and win a game...they never did. He's 0-7 in the playoffs with the Bengals. All of those bounced in the WC game. Again, we should expect more than hanging a meaningless Division Championship banner and a WC Game appearance. Hell, both coaches who have taken us to the playoffs have gotten us farther than that....and they both overstayed their welcome by several years.

Fear of the unknown (Head Coaching Ability) is crippling several people here. I fear the absolute KNOWN quantity that would be Marvin Lewis as HC.

Texansballer74

The Marine
To me...he coached the Bengals similar to how the Texans were coached. Yes, the regular season record looks good (even great) sometime. However, come playoff time, did anyone really ever think the Bengals were going to be a force to be reckoned with? Maybe they'd get lucky and win a game...they never did. He's 0-7 in the playoffs with the Bengals. All of those bounced in the WC game. Again, we should expect more than hanging a meaningless Division Championship banner and a WC Game appearance. Hell, both coaches who have taken us to the playoffs have gotten us farther than that....and they both overstayed their welcome by several years.

Fear of the unknown (Head Coaching Ability) is crippling several people here. I fear the absolute KNOWN quantity that would be Marvin Lewis as HC.
But then again he could come here and be very successful.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

This.

The choice is ultimately a crap shoot with anyone, so why not go with a guy that Watson endorses and perhaps brings some of that KC offensive wizardry to H-Town?

However, this is cart before the horse. Cal said the GM gets to be in on the pick. lol

CPTTexan

Waterboy
Sounds to me you’re just spitballing with generic qualifications that as I said, have no basis in logic whatsoever. Everyone here wants better than “mediocrity”...just saying that is saying water is wet. You also have no idea what he would bring HERE in this situation. you’re just basing it on his 1 stop in Cincy. Fine, yes he failed there ..but he also won quite a bit there as a HC too .....which is more than any of these other candidates available can say who for all intents & purposes haven’t achieved **** other than currently being associated with a team that won recently. If The Pats, Seahawks, Giants and whole host of other teams who hired retread HC’s that failed badly at their 1st gigs didn’t hire them, they’d all be a few Lombardi’s and countless other deep playoff runs lighter than they are now.

In the last 15 years, do you know how many of these 1st time hotshot young OC/DC’s won a SB at their 1st gig? Try 2...the rest all had been previously fired at their 1st gigs.

So to act like taking a chance on any of these other guys is a better option and is gonna yield better results just b/c they haven’t failed yet...well, that’s quite stupid logic.
Let's say they do hire Marvin Lewis: what is your standard that he should be held to? Again...you didn't address the cluster issue that he would be facing the same as Kubiak faced. We have 1 elite player on this team. We have several good players and 1 older former elite defensive player that is still better than most on this team. (That's not saying a lot right now)

And how many of those recent first time HC's have achieved more playoff wins than Marvin Lewis? Doug Marrone has more playoff wins....

I've never said don't give a former HC another opportunity. I just don't think Marvin Lewis is, or ever will be a good coach when it comes to the playoffs.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
But then again he could come here and be very successful.
Sure....but so could any of those 1st time HC's. That's the fun in playing these little 'What-If' games.

My opinion is that Marvin Lewis is who he is. I'm not saying he was a bad coach. Again, he was pretty good in the regular season. I just don't care that much about the regular season anymore. Getting to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs is the goal. He's never done that with some really good teams with really good talent. We don't have either of those things right now.

I also haven't voted in the poll because I'm not entirely sold on any of those names presented. Bienemy is the most intriguing (followed by Saleh), however it's the 'How much of that is Andy Reid?', that gives me pause. That's a question that some team will figure out the answer to. Saleh would shape up the defense for sure, but who's the OC in that situation that can utilize Watson to the best of his abilities?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Both 610 and 790 were slobbering all over Joe Brady. I’m like wtf has he done to merit a HC job in the NFL.
He's not a Patriots castoff. He's not a KC castoff. He's not a Bronco castoff. He's not even a Panthers castoff. He's the kind of guy that could come in here and create an identity unique to Houston. He's not stuck in the "the NFL way is the only way" line of thinking. I don't think he'd be afraid of creating something new, something uniquely tailored to Watson's very unique skill set. EB, McDaniel's, Lewis...those guys attach the risk of coming in here and trying to do what O'Brien tried to do. Mold and pound Watson and the offense into a shape they can identify with and be comfortably with but fail to produce results just like O'Brien did.

I feel like Brady is a swing for the fences kind of hire that could really energize this franchise. That's why I know he won't be the Texans next HC. The McNair's aren't going to come out of their comfort zone. They'll play it safe, pick the popular name so if it backfires they can say, "at least we tried". And fans will nod their heads and say, "yep, you sure did. Here's more of my money. Now go hire the OC of the last SB winner and make HIM our savior!"

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Bienemey's record away for Andy Reid scares me. My vote is for Jerry Glanville (are you not entertained?) or whomever the new GM decides on.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Of the given options , I'm torn between the defensive guy in Saleh and the offensive guy that Watson wants in Bieniemy .

Too bad we can't have both.

As for who I think it will be .... Bieniemy. I thought it was a foregone conclusion the day OB was fired , that hasn't changed with the passing of time.

I just hope whoever it is puts together a better coaching staff than OB did .... Other than Romeo and Tracy Smith , OB's staff was awful.

michaelm

vox nihili
Marvin Lewis is a decent HC but not really that inspiring to me.

After all, he got bounced from the playoffs twice by the Texans, who have a solid reputation for losing to playoff caliber teams.
I know the Bengals were favored in at least one of those games if not both

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Marvin Lewis is a decent HC but not really that inspiring to me.

After all, he got bounced from the playoffs twice by the Texans, who have a solid reputation for losing to playoff caliber teams.
I know the Bengals were favored in at least one of those games if not both
Not to mention TJ Yates having to beat them in Cincy to secure the franchise's first division title. Good times.

He seems like a good dude, but as a HC, his playoff record scares me off.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Let's say they do hire Marvin Lewis: what is your standard that he should be held to? Again...you didn't address the cluster issue that he would be facing the same as Kubiak faced. We have 1 elite player on this team. We have several good players and 1 older former elite defensive player that is still better than most on this team. (That's not saying a lot right now)

And how many of those recent first time HC's have achieved more playoff wins than Marvin Lewis? Doug Marrone has more playoff wins....

I've never said don't give a former HC another opportunity. I just don't think Marvin Lewis is, or ever will be a good coach when it comes to the playoffs.
the Bengals were arguably in worse shape than the Texans are now when Lewis took over. Dude came in,got a lot of good talent in and turned them around. You could argue that the only reason he doesn’t have a playoff win is b/c Palmer’s knee got shredded and b/c Andy Dalton just wasn’t good enough. He’s the winningest coach in Bengals history.

& yeah Doug Marrone & BoB have more more playoff wins...Mike McCarthy has won a SB....the combined record of all three of those guys this year was 6-30. that should tell you how much weight a few wins in the playoffs mean....as it pertains to whether a guy can coach or not...IOW’s not a whole lot.

Any HC brought in should be held to the same standard...which is get to and win a SB. & NONE of the guys out on the market have done it as a HC.

As for those 1st time HC’s:

Doug Peterson hadn’t won **** prior to 2017 when he got on a lucky run and rode it all the way to the SB...has yet to do anything and Has been mediocre at best since then.

John Harbaugh inherited a championship ready defense and came in under 1 of the best GM’s in the history of the game...so yeah, he won right away.....but it still took him 4 years to break through and win a SB....that he barely won.

Regardless, 1, 2 or even multiple playoff wins aren’t some great sign of any coaching greatness.... And again, just b/c the other newbies don’t have a record of failure, doesn’t mean they’re gonna fair any better. Hell BoB has multiple playoff wins. We ran that dude out of town.

JWTexans

Waterboy
It sounds like Caserio at GM, which means Easterby is pulling more strings than Cal wants people.to really know. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh McDaniels is the next HC. McNair can't get off of this "Patriots" South BS.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
It sounds like Caserio at GM, which means Easterby is pulling more strings than Cal wants people.to really know. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh McDaniels is the next HC. McNair can't get off of this "Patriots" South BS.
McDaniels is staying in NE. He turned down the gig in Miami after talking to Kraft and Hoodie. No question that it was a pay raise and a garranty for the HC job in a set amount of time.

But I will happily take a GM who is doing what NE has. Finding players who are very good and fit well in the later rounds of the draft. Signing FAs and going after the positions that they need. I will happily take it.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
McDaniels is staying in NE. He turned down the gig in Miami after talking to Kraft and Hoodie. No question that it was a pay raise and a garranty for the HC job in a set amount of time.
LMAO. Did you get this from the same source who told you Watson wanted a black GM and HC?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
LMAO. Did you get this from the same source who told you Watson wanted a black GM and HC?
No common sense. He flipped off Miami after taking the job. What happened? He met with Kraft and Hoodie literally about 2hrs before Miami announced he turned down the job. He has said that he wants to be a HC. Hoodie is getting ready to step down. He has even indicated that during his press conferences the past few years. After the last SB he was asked about it and he said "not just yet...a couple more years maybe"

Do the math. Plus, until Brady left the Pats were my favorite team. Because I was born in Michigan and family went to UM and I was recruited until I blew my knee. The Pats forums are full of information on the subject.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
No common sense. He flipped off Miami after taking the job. What happened? He met with Kraft and Hoodie literally about 2hrs before Miami announced he turned down the job.
You're confusing Miami with Indianapolis.