Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans whistling past the graveyard at Kicker

I agree with Wonger. Bring in some free agent kickers. The Texans can't go through this season with an unreliable kicker. They're struggling enough as it is to win against average teams. They can't afford to spot better opponents good field position all the time not to mention not putting points on the board. Even if they have to sign a kicker that is only accurate under 50 yards I would take it. At least you know what you have and where you need to get to for the kick.

Bullock gets that "Al Del Greco" worried look on his face and it makes me think his problem is mental. But I would take ol Al right now over Bullock.

Maybe.

I'd give him more than two games. If it's not fixed going into the 2nd half of the season then I'd start looking around.

I might give him more... it really depends. If he were a vet & this was par for the course, he'd already be gone.

But they drafted this guy, they held the roster spot for him. They see something they like. Looks like he's got the legs, both of the 50 yard misses looked like they had the distance for 60.

I'd liked to have seen a close up of the hold.

In a post game interview, he said it felt like good contact, so I question the hold.

We are shooting for the Super Bowl. We can't afford to not have a backup plan.

Our back up plan is the same as every other team. If Bullock isn't the guy, we'll ditch him & pick up some guy off the street. He's going to be some scrub that nobody else wanted & signing him to the roster in week 3 isn't going to make him better if we sign him in week 15.

Heck, Rob Bironas.... the third most accurate kicker in the NFL (that's what they just said as I rewatch the game) missed a kick today.

This game, the three misses, was probably the thing to make Bullock the most accurate kicker anyone's ever seen from here on out.

Our back up plan is the same as every other team. If Bullock isn't the guy, we'll ditch him & pick up some guy off the street. He's going to be some scrub that nobody else wanted & signing him to the roster in week 3 isn't going to make him better if we sign him in week 15.

Heck, Rob Bironas.... the third most accurate kicker in the NFL (that's what they just said as I rewatch the game) missed a kick today.

This game, the three misses, was probably the thing to make Bullock the most accurate kicker anyone's ever seen from here on out.

Agree. If they don't give up on him he will probably be fine.

eza7yhej.jpg

Maybe you missed it but...Bullock was injured. He tried to play through the pain and it affected his performance. Is it a question mark for the team? Sure but not a big one until we see him in the preseason.
You didn't miss it. Today's performance indicates that Bullock's legendary inaccuracy last season was not caused by being hurt. They say Lechler is also a competent place kicker. Bring him on.

There seems to be a lack of recognition of what Kubiak was asking of Bullock during this game. By week 2, Bullock is the only kicker to attempt three kicks of over 50 yards. Here is how he compares to other kickers in the league at this point.

Player: 40-50 yard - 50+ yards

Garrett Hartley: 3/4 - 0/0
Dan Bailey: 1/1 - 2/2
Sebastian Janiko: 1/2 - 0/0
Stephen Gostko: 1/2 - 0/0
Greg Zuerlein: 1/1 - 0/0
Jay Feely: 2/2 - 0/1
Nick Folk: 2/2 - 0/0
Rob Bironas: 2/3 - 0/0
Caleb Sturgis: 2/2 - 1/1
Josh Brown: 1/1 - 0/0
Blair Walsh: 0/0 - 1/1
Alex Henery: 2/3 - 0/0
Nick Novak: 3/3 - 0/0
Billy Cundiff: 0/0 - 1/1
Graham Gano: 0/0 - 0/0
Dan Carpenter: 1/2 - 1/1
Steven Hauschka: 1/1 - 0/0
Phil Dawson : 0/1 - 0/0
Adam Vinatieri: 0/0 - 0/1
Justin Tucker: 0/1 - 0/1
Matt Bryant : 0/0 - 0/0
David Akers: 1/3 - 0/0
Robbie Gould: 0/0 - 1/1
Matt Prater: 2/2 - 0/0
Josh Scobee: 0/0 - 0/0
Rian Lindell: 0/1 - 0/0
Ryan Succop: 1/1 - 0/1
Randy Bullock: 1/2 - 0/3
Mason Crosby: 0/0 - 0/0

Two things should stand out: Dan Bailey is having an incredible season, and Randy Bullock has attempted more 40+ yard field goals than anyone not named Dan Bailey.

Other kickers who have already missed kicks of over 50 yards are Justin Tucker, Adam Vinatieri, and Jay Feely. Other kickers who have missed 40 to 50 yards out are Sebastien Janikowski, Stephen Gostkowski, and David Akers.

Those are veterans. Randy Bullock is on game 2 of his career. If Kubiak wants to set up Bullock for statistical success, he will have him kick from the 25 instead of the 40. But Kubiak obviously wants him to develop into a 50 yard kicker, and he is putting Bullock in tough situations in order to learn.

Those are veterans. Randy Bullock is on game 2 of his career. If Kubiak wants to set up Bullock for statistical success, he will have him kick from the 25 instead of the 40. But Kubiak obviously wants him to develop into a 50 yard kicker, and he is putting Bullock in tough situations in order to learn.

MSR... not that I necessarily agree, but your post makes sense.

I'm not worried about Bullock's last three kicks. I'm worried about his next three.

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Last year, Shayne Graham made just 1 of first 5 kicks of 46 yards or longer. Bullock: 0-4 on same distance so far. Graham: 5-12 from 46+ overall last year. #Texans

Graham was 26-26 on FGs less than 46 yards last year. Bullock is 1-1. Team hasn't missed a FG shorter than 46 yards since 2011 season with Neil Rackers. #Texans

Bullock also has 8 touchbacks on 9 kickoffs (4-4 today). After 9 games last year, Graham still only had 11 touchbacks (on 52 kickoffs). #Texans

We should have gone with a winner like Justin Tucker who has been awesome with the Ravens instead of the fat, loser aggy. aggy=losing

Kubiak is putting him out there because the offense stalled and its 4th down. The Texans need the points and Bullock is the kicker. Kubiak is not developing Bullock with games on the line. He is a kicker for crying out loud. That's all he does. The mental part is all on Bullock. Either he handles the pressure or chokes but he is not out there to develop with games on the line. Can he learn from it? Lets hope so but I guarantee you he is on a short leash after yesterday.

bckey said:

Kubiak is putting him out there because the offense stalled and its 4th down. The Texans need the points and Bullock is the kicker. Kubiak is not developing Bullock with games on the line. He is a kicker for crying out loud. That's all he does. The mental part is all on Bullock. Either he handles the pressure or chokes but he is not out there to develop with games on the line. Can he learn from it? Lets hope so but I guarantee you he is on a short leash after yesterday.
yeah, no learning on the job for kickers. Ask Ian "there's no crying in football" Howfield.

I did have some Skip Butler Oiler flashbacks yesterday though. Rare when a player can conjure the Skip Butler imagery of the ball matriculating wide left with the game on the line.

There seems to be a lack of recognition of what Kubiak was asking of Bullock during this game. By week 2, Bullock is the only kicker to attempt three kicks of over 50 yards. Here is how he compares to other kickers in the league at this point.

Player: 40-50 yard - 50+ yards

Garrett Hartley: 3/4 - 0/0
Dan Bailey: 1/1 - 2/2
Sebastian Janiko: 1/2 - 0/0
Stephen Gostko: 1/2 - 0/0
Greg Zuerlein: 1/1 - 0/0
Jay Feely: 2/2 - 0/1
Nick Folk: 2/2 - 0/0
Rob Bironas: 2/3 - 0/0
Caleb Sturgis: 2/2 - 1/1
Josh Brown: 1/1 - 0/0
Blair Walsh: 0/0 - 1/1
Alex Henery: 2/3 - 0/0
Nick Novak: 3/3 - 0/0
Billy Cundiff: 0/0 - 1/1
Graham Gano: 0/0 - 0/0
Dan Carpenter: 1/2 - 1/1
Steven Hauschka: 1/1 - 0/0
Phil Dawson : 0/1 - 0/0
Adam Vinatieri: 0/0 - 0/1
Justin Tucker: 0/1 - 0/1
Matt Bryant : 0/0 - 0/0
David Akers: 1/3 - 0/0
Robbie Gould: 0/0 - 1/1
Matt Prater: 2/2 - 0/0
Josh Scobee: 0/0 - 0/0
Rian Lindell: 0/1 - 0/0
Ryan Succop: 1/1 - 0/1
Randy Bullock: 1/2 - 0/3
Mason Crosby: 0/0 - 0/0

Two things should stand out: Dan Bailey is having an incredible season, and Randy Bullock has attempted more 40+ yard field goals than anyone not named Dan Bailey.

Other kickers who have already missed kicks of over 50 yards are Justin Tucker, Adam Vinatieri, and Jay Feely. Other kickers who have missed 40 to 50 yards out are Sebastien Janikowski, Stephen Gostkowski, and David Akers.

What about the fact that a lot of the guys that have actually kicked long field goals are making more than missing.

I don't think the comparison you're making really matters. Bullock kicks for us. He's been shaky. He's proven that. All yore showing is that other kickers haven't gotten as many chances to show their long FG ability.

But again, Randy has.

Doesn't mean that he will suck forever, but as of right now he has not been good and that doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.

It's like if you took stats at a club of guys talking to women of equal caliber and getting phone numbers.

Guy A: 0/12
Guy B: 3/6
Guy C: 0/2
Guy D: 0/0
Guy E: 6/7

Those other guys not talking to as many women doesn't change the fact that Guy A is looking like a loser.

I'm not commenting on whether or not bullock can get better. But his body of work so far is bad regardless of what anyone else has of hadn't done.

We should have gone with a winner like Justin Tucker who has been awesome with the Ravens instead of the fat, loser aggy. aggy=losing

Still bitter over those two losses to open your season? Now go to the corner with your biased BS :)

Now as to the subject matter, I'm thinking he's inbred, and cockeyed, thus why he either hits it wide right or hooks it left :worldpeace:

Correct

But seeing that Bullock played for A&M and Gary's lgendary quality of playing favorites when it comes to K's. (Kris Brown) The leash is probably alot longer than we would like it to be.

Kubiak to Foster: Don't get a first down, now, because I wanna see if Bullock can make the 50 yarder. :kubepalm:

Doesn't mean that he will suck forever, but as of right now he has not been good and that doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.

The bolded is the best perspective to have right now. The knee-jerk folks require statistic comparisions and long explanations just to make the point: "Take a moderate approach and consider that this kid is still in development, and it is way too soon to conclude that he's damaged goods."

By the way, Trindon Holliday ran in a touchdown yesterday. That was followed by a nationwide Verizon commerical featuring Jacoby Jones.

Kubiak to Foster: Don't get a first down, now, because I wanna see if Bullock can make the 50 yarder. :kubepalm:

Kubiak to Lechler: Don't punt now, because I wanna see if Bullock can make the 50 yarder.

Which is actually what happened.

Looks like Aggies are doing a lot better at winning these days than that other Texas school and I don't have a dog in this fight either, I could care less either way.

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Last year, Shayne Graham made just 1 of first 5 kicks of 46 yards or longer. Bullock: 0-4 on same distance so far. Graham: 5-12 from 46+ overall last year. #Texans

Graham was 26-26 on FGs less than 46 yards last year. Bullock is 1-1. Team hasn't missed a FG shorter than 46 yards since 2011 season with Neil Rackers. #Texans

Bullock also has 8 touchbacks on 9 kickoffs (4-4 today). After 9 games last year, Graham still only had 11 touchbacks (on 52 kickoffs). #Texans
Speak of the devil... :stirpot:

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Steelers released veteran K Shayne Graham.

It would be nice to ease him into pressure situations by letting him kick gimmes first but game situations seldom cooperate with that sort of plan.

If it's technique that can be analyzed and fixed. If it's truly mental, he may be in trouble.

Not sure I can agree. With the game on the line, Kubiak called three very-low-percentage plays in a row and figured he was in Bullock's range. Those were calls designed to not have a chance at a turnover and included the high likelihood that the game would rest on the kicker.

Bullock was definitely in range, but of 3 "real" attempts, only the first on went through. One was a BAD shank, and the other hit the upright.

I like the guy, but I think the issue is upstairs. If I'm an opposing coach, it's worth every timeout I have to ice him at the moment.

I guess we have our answer now. We have to figure an ultra-conservative organization like the Texans are going to wait until it's way too late before making necessary moves to win football games since this is the approach they have used almost exclusively in the past.

Back