Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS VS VIKINGS VS COVID WEEK 4

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Surprisingly,
..........the Vikings’ wide receivers, even without Stefon Diggs, have been really good.
With grades of 85.3 and 84.5, Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen rank fourth and fifth, respectively, among receivers over at Pro Football Focus.
For whatever it’s worth, Diggs ranks 13th with a grade of 77.3.

With how bad the Vikings’ defense appears to be, Jefferson and Thielen should get plenty of opportunities in the passing game.
Through three weeks, Jefferson has 12 catches for 245 yards and a touchdown. Thielen has 12 catches for 170 yards and three touchdowns.
link

Last game, Jefferson racked up 175 yds and 1 TD on only 7 receptions.

Cousins looked like Cousins with 16 for 27, for 254 yds.................with 3 TDs tethered by 2 INTs.

The Vikings didn't show much of a pass rush in the first 2 weeks, but seemed to really high-tail it against Cousins. Likewise, The Vikings running game looked quite mundane in weeks 1 and 2.....and got a real shot in the arm last game.

Last week, RB Dalvin Cook fumbled, but came back the next offensive series with a 39 yd TD run. He finished with 22 carries for 181 yds.

The question that has to be asked........... is it that the Vikings last game looked so good.............or was it that the Titans are just not that good.

1601414683882.png

Attachments

JWTexans

Waterboy
If this game happens, Dalvin Cook is gonna eat this defenses lunch. I think this game, even more than the first 2 could get ugly quick.
Their OL is pretty good and we have no pass rush as it is, and we all know we can't stop the run and Cook is one of the more explosive backs in the league. Cousins is hot or cold, but there's no reason to think our DBs are gonna stop him and Theilen/Jefferson/Rudolph.
Their D isn't special, but does have some playmakers on it. And if this team has lost its heart, which may be the case, it could get bad.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Its all coming together.

If we had kept Capers:
We would be at this point.

If we had kept Kubiak:
We would be at this point.

Would we have been better keeping Kubiak instead of OB:
We will have the answer with the outcome of this game.

The "stars are aligned" its all coming to an end, the prophecy is to be fulfilled and the football curse shall end.... when all the Texans HCs are under one roof, in the same game....................now, we just need DW to realize.............

................... there is no spoon. :kitten:

mws

Rookie
The game against the Vikings will be the 100th regular season game with O'Brien as HC.

Overall Record 52-47 .525

Monthly

September--10-14 .417
October------14-11 .560
November---13-8 .619
December---14-13 .519
January-------1-1 .500

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Hopefully, they are taking the feedback from the veteran WRs into the game plan. Cobb is almost begging for the quick game. "Install some quick game into our offense"

More of what I've talked about for over a year ....

There are many of these throws available already - You have to wonder how much / if Watson trusts his playmakers to produce. Maybe that has something to do with him hanging onto the ball , waiting for this perfect moment that never seems to materialize.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
More of what I've talked about for over a year ....

There are many of these throws available already - You have to wonder how much / if Watson trusts his playmakers to produce. Maybe that has something to do with him hanging onto the ball , waiting for this perfect moment that never seems to materialize.
Like in this drive? :brando:

621:14HTX 2550:5075Touchdown

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Cook scares me...but i think the key to this game will be how we defend the short passing game. Will we be sitting way back in off coverage trying not to get beat deep like we were against the chiefs, ravens and steelers? Or will we start run blitzing and attacking Cousins and dare him to beat us deep? I like the latter. Cousins has been known to throw a few picks, its time we got on the TO board.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Cook scares me...but i think the key to this game will be how we defend the short passing game. Will we be sitting way back in off coverage trying not to get beat deep like we were against the chiefs, ravens and steelers? Or will we start run blitzing and attacking Cousins and dare him to beat us deep? I like the latter. Cousins has been known to throw a few picks, its time we got on the TO board.
That's the way I see it too. Make Cousins beat us.

On offense, people won't like this, but be dedicated to the run. We should be able to run on this team.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He's been sacked 7 times, had 5 TDs and 6 INTS.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Could this be the modern day Toilet Bowl game..l..............where the best of the 2 floats to the top to live another day?

**************************************************************************************************
Quick Hits: Texans-Vikings Statistical Preview
Football stats make the world go round.
By Mike Bullock Oct 1, 2020, 10:00am CDT

I had the pleasure of speaking with the Vikings SB Nation guys yesterday, and one thing they mentioned that really stuck out to me was, “We can’t stop the pass but we make up for it with a bad run defense.” It took a split second to realize they weren’t talking about our Houston Texans with that statement.

With that foundation to build from, Deshaun Watson, David Johnson, Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook should have a field day racking up yards and points at NRG Stadium on Sunday. Adam Thielen, Brandin Cooks, Kenny Stills and Justin Jefferson should all have season best days, too. If you’re a defensive minded fan, dial down the enthusiasm to “maybe next week” because this game features the third worst passing defense (MIN) versus the worst rush defense (HOU). Some more stats:
  • The Vikings lead the all-time series 4-0.
  • Last meeting was on 10.9.16. Final score was Texans 13, Vikings 31.
  • Houston’s offense is averaging 19.0 points per game.
  • Minnesota’s offense is averaging 25.0 points per game.
  • Houston’s defense is surrendering 31.7 points per game.
  • Minnesota’s defense is giving up 34.0 points per game.
  • Houston’s offense is gaining an average 308.0 yards per game.
  • Minnesota’s offense is gaining an average 340.3 yards per game.
  • Houston’s defense has surrendered 387.7 yards per game.
  • Minnesota’s defense has surrendered 440.0 yards per game.
  • Deshaun Watson has thrown 95 passes, completed 64 for 792 yards, 4 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, and has a QB rating of 93.8.
  • Kirk Cousins has thrown 78 passes, completed 46 for 623 yards, 5 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, and has a QB rating of 73.8.
  • David Johnson has carried the ball 35 times for 134 yards, 2 touchdowns, and has a 3.8 yards per carry average.
  • Dalvin Cook has carried the ball 48 times for 294 yards, 4 touchdowns, and has a 6.1 yards per carry average.
  • Will Fuller V has caught 12 passes for 166 yards—13.8 YPC—and 1 touchdown.
  • Justin Jefferson has caught 12 passes for 245 yards—20.4 YPC—and 1 touchdown
THE REST OF THE STORY

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If the players would just make up the plays in the huddle the offense would probably do better.
Let me direct you to this post in another thread - This is a prime example of what's wrong with this offense and why much of it is on the signal caller -

This is a common occurrence , not a rarity. The opportunities are there to be had , the wrong decision is often made.

As promised, here is another instance of DW4 trying to force the ball a little further downfield than he really has to. 2nd qtr, ball is in Pitt's red zone on the 11. We have twins right with an unbalanced TE look on the left. DW4 has a single safety up top.

View attachment 6724

Just before the snap, we send Akins who is the TE lined up off the LOS, in motion to the left...most likely to create a little more space in the middle for the route combo coming.
View attachment 6726

At the snap, we have Fells run a fade off the hash with DJ31 running a texas route right behind him. The read here is the LB's & you get easy an high low read. In zone, if the LB's drop too deep, you hit DJ31 in the middle for an easy 5 yard or more gain. If they don't drop at all &/or shift up towards the other hash, you hit Fells over the top of them on the fade with a bullet.
View attachment 6727

Fells' route is a fade b/c he's fading away from the safety which makes it harder for him to get over the top to defend it. The off safety has to stay centerfield b/c he has to protect on a potential slant from the WR in the slot up top. It’s somewhat a moot point b/c the Steelers tried to disguise it as zone, but they are in fact in man coverage.
View attachment 6728
at the snap the play works to perfection. Fells' fade route helps to clear the middle of the field even more as his man follows him... DJ31's man is well out of position and he is frantically trying to get over to cover DJ31 as he thinks he's running to the flats..then the 2nd leg of that texas route kicks in, DJ31 reverses directions into the middle of the field which is WIDE OPEN. His man was completely out of position. Yet DW4 attempts to push it downfield to Fells who is covered up pretty well by Bush. No significant pressure. No obstructed passing lanes, it appears he just predetermined where he wanted to go with the ball b/c it came out pretty fast. This is yet another instance of him trying to push it down the field & he didn't need to do that. DJ31 probably walks in if he reads it out & gets it to him on time.

The scheme/playcall provides opportunities..DW4 has to be better in seizing them.

Taking the underneath here to DJ31 should've been where he went with the ball

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' P.J. Hall has 'good juice,' emerges as a starter
Aaron Wilson Oct. 1, 2020

Once discarded by the Las Vegas Raiders, defensive tackle P.J. Hall has emerged as a starter for the Texans.

Hall has started two of the past three games and has recorded 11 tackles with one for a loss.

Hall played 73 percent of the snaps against the Baltimore Ravens and 56 percent of the snaps against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I think he’s done a good job," Texans defensive end J.J. Watt said. "I think he’s got very strong hands. I think he’s got good power. I think he has some good juice to him. I enjoy seeing him out there playing and I’m looking forward to continuing to see him improve and get better.”

In his first game with the Texans afer getting into better shape, Hall played 25 percent of the snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs and had four tackles with one for a loss.

The highest drafted player in school history, Hall is 6-1, 310 pounds and has run the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds. Hall had 42 sacks in college with four interceptions, nine forced fumbles and 14 blocked kicks.

“P.J. Hall has a very unique skill set," Texans defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver said. "You talk about a guy who weighs 310 pounds, when he got timed for his 40 coming out it was 4.73 or 4.68 or something like that.

"I don’t know a lot of those humans roaming the earth. He’s such a unique guy in his ability and as his technique continues to grow and his confidence grows, we see there’s a lot of upside there with him.”

badboy

Hall of Fame
Texans' P.J. Hall has 'good juice,' emerges as a starter
Aaron Wilson Oct. 1, 2020

Once discarded by the Las Vegas Raiders, defensive tackle P.J. Hall has emerged as a starter for the Texans.

Hall has started two of the past three games and has recorded 11 tackles with one for a loss.

Hall played 73 percent of the snaps against the Baltimore Ravens and 56 percent of the snaps against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I think he’s done a good job," Texans defensive end J.J. Watt said. "I think he’s got very strong hands. I think he’s got good power. I think he has some good juice to him. I enjoy seeing him out there playing and I’m looking forward to continuing to see him improve and get better.”

In his first game with the Texans afer getting into better shape, Hall played 25 percent of the snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs and had four tackles with one for a loss.

The highest drafted player in school history, Hall is 6-1, 310 pounds and has run the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds. Hall had 42 sacks in college with four interceptions, nine forced fumbles and 14 blocked kicks.

“P.J. Hall has a very unique skill set," Texans defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver said. "You talk about a guy who weighs 310 pounds, when he got timed for his 40 coming out it was 4.73 or 4.68 or something like that.

"I don’t know a lot of those humans roaming the earth. He’s such a unique guy in his ability and as his technique continues to grow and his confidence grows, we see there’s a lot of upside there with him.”
PJ "the juice!" Oh, wait. Maybe pajamas? He hits so hard you want to put on pajamas, go to bed, hide under covers?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I predict the Texans will win this game convincingly. They will look brilliant on offense and play solidly on defense on special teams. There will be much rejoicing. Then next Sunday they’ll lay an egg on our face.
You've seen this act in the play before. 2019 Denver