Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Vs Saints Gameday Thread

At least I know now that we're not making the playoffs. Not from this division, and not with this schedule.

I'm not totally ready to completely write us off for the season. As I said last week, this is one of two tests. Let's see what they do against the Cowgirls
...at home.

I'm not totally ready to completely write us off for the season. As I said last week, this is one of two tests. Let's see what they do against the Cowgirls
...at home.

Last season, test #1 was the Saints. Their second string exposed our
inability to stuff the run. In test #2, the Vikings picked up where the
Saints left off, and gashed us again. The Texans gave up 190 yards
today on the ground.

I'll hold off to see what they do against the Cowpokes. The Texans
have yet to show us that their preseason will be ANY different than
how they start the regular season. They MUST show well next week,
because they don't have the experience of being better this time
of year to call it "just preseason."

Last season, test #1 was the Saints. Their second string exposed our
inability to stuff the run. In test #2, the Vikings picked up where the
Saints left off, and gashed us again. The Texans gave up 190 yards
today on the ground.

I'll hold off to see what they do against the Cowpokes. The Texans
have yet to show us that their preseason will be ANY different than
how they start the regular season. They MUST show well next week,
because they don't have the experience of being better this time
of year to call it "just preseason."

Exactly. We looked like **** last preseason too. Carried right over into the reg. season, right up until week 3 until things changed, whether that was due to Pollard, the light bulb went on, whatever but it carried over.

Anyhow, Listening to 610: Andre Ware: It's preseason, guys are tired. Just kinda toss this in the garbage. Not sure what you can learn.

We got beat by the Super Bowl champs. No big surprise there, but Texans better work on their tackling. Its all about the details and I'm sure practicing against the Saints all week was extremely beneficial for our guys.

We got beat by the Super Bowl champs. No big surprise there, but Texans better work on their tackling. Its all about the details and I'm sure practicing against the Saints all week was extremely beneficial for our guys.

We spotted them 14 points on turnovers. You can't do that to any team and expect to win. Turnovers, slow QB, sacks, penalties, poor blocking/tackling--just same ol crap.:kitten:

Exactly right. The Texans got beaten by the super bowl champions in preseason. Shocker.

Exactly right. The Texans got beaten by the super bowl champions in preseason. Shocker.

"Beaten" is not the appropriate verb. The Texans were "taken-out-to-the-
woodshed" by the Super Bowl Champions in preaseason is more appropriate.

THAT was the shocker. The "New-and-Improved" Texans didn't belong
on the same field as the Super Bowl Champions. Yet, they expect
to be a playoff team.

I have visions of the Colts shoving the run on the Texans, only
to pound them merciless with the playaction pass during week one.

I pray I'm wrong.

Maybe this was just the result of too much ego? Maybe Texans had a mindset that they are already a dominant D because of the performance in the cards game and today they had a reality check. I expect Demeco and Pollard use this as a lesson and pump up the defense. You know, like use this embarrassment to fight harder the next game.

Just giving a thought out there. But I truly think that they weren't playing all out . Just looked weak. And today I learned that we are just a Stud DT away from being one of the beast defensive teams in the league.

The Texans dont have a dominant defense. They better learn that quick. They are small. Big Olines will push them up and down the field if they dont figure it out.

well good thing Buffalo hung 34 on Indy (Indy gave up 31 to SF) ..so we have a chance in all this doom and gloom

:kitten::ant:

:runaway:

I personally am going to take the middle road here, I don't think the defense is going to be as bad as we saw tonight and I hope the defense will be more like what we saw in Arizona (but it is Arizona) so, I think it will be more in the middle.

Preseason is funny to me, how vanilla is vanilla when it comes to playing? Is one team playing more vanilla on offense than the other team is on defense? (or vice versa)? Coaches are (hopefully) working on player evaluations to get ready for the season..

I don't care that we lost (it's preseason) but I do care how flat and uninspired we looked out there.

I know it is tough to get motivated for a practice game that doesn't count, but they have a history of not getting their act together until Game 5 or 6 in the regular season so that has me concerned. Other payoff teams seem to be able to walk through pre-season and then bring it when it counts but the Texans have never done that. This would be a good year to start.

I don't care that we lost (it's preseason) but I do care how flat and uninspired we looked out there.

I know it is tough to get motivated for a practice game that doesn't count, but they have a history of not getting their act together until Game 5 or 6 in the regular season so that has me concerned. Other payoff teams seem to be able to walk through pre-season and then bring it when it counts but the Texans have never done that. This would be a good year to start.

This.

"Beaten" is not the appropriate verb. The Texans were "taken-out-to-the-
woodshed" by the Super Bowl Champions in preaseason is more appropriate.

THAT was the shocker.

I agree. I didn't expect them to dominate or win. I did expect more than 12% 3rd down conversions and 20 minutes time of possession. I also expected the defense to do more than just go through the paces with no enthusiasm.

This game just reminded me of so many others. The good news is that it is pre season and I'm not going to be depressed for 2 days.

OK, so last night I watched what appeared to be a scrimmage. When does the actual Saints-Texans preseason game start?

What a train wreck that was. Absolute garbage.

OK, so last night I watched what appeared to be a scrimmage. When does the actual Saints-Texans preseason game start?

What a train wreck that was. Absolute garbage.

I think what suprised me the most was the way they were able to run on our 1st team defense. Our first team defense is better than that. They were just sloppy and mentally unprepared for this pre-season game is my opinion.

If Dallas does this to our first team defense, then I'll be officially worried. I'm going to just wait and grumble about until then.

I think what suprised me the most was the way they were able to run on our 1st team defense. Our first team defense is better than that. They were just sloppy and mentally unprepared for this pre-season game is my opinion.

If Dallas does this to our first team defense, then I'll be officially worried. I'm going to just wait and grumble about until then.

I hear ya'.

I'm not spending much time today on posting about the Saints game. There's nothing more to say on it. Hardly any of our players appeared to be dialed into the game last night. So there's nothing to really examine or debate.

There is truth to this. Dallas first team offense has scored only one TD in three pre-seaon game and that on a 8 yeard drive, set-up by a turnover. The offense line is banged up and neither pass not run is working at all.

Just about everything you needed to know about the Texans vs. Saints can be summed up by the Saints first drive of the game.

On their opening drive, the Saints cut through the Texans defense like a hot knife through butter with a combination of power, misdirection, traps, and cutbacks.

If you have the game DVR'd check out these plays (and then I recommend hitting the delete button):

13:11 of the first quarter, Saints 2nd and 6 from their own 43, If this is an example of the lighter, quicker Amobi Okoye, we are in deep trouble. Saints left guard Carl Nicks, who goes somewhere around 340, stood up (ate up) 290 lb. Amobi Okoye on a pass block that reminded me of the days when I tried to take on my older brother in the backyard.

12:55 Saints 3rd and 6 from their own 43 (the next play). Saints strong left, single setback (Bush). Texans in a nickel with Barwin, Smith, Okoye and Mario on the DL, Cushing and DeMeco at LB. Corners man up on the X, Y, and Z receivers and Wilson and Pollard in a cover-2. Cushing sets up 5 yds deep off the center and 59 is to his right over the TE. Barwin standing up - outside shoulder of RT, Smith playing the 1-tech (right shoulder of center). At the snap, Bush moves right to take a delayed handoff from Brees but Smith inexplicably crashes hard on the A-gap making him easy fodder for a guard trap (which is exactly what happened). Barwin bit on a 'pass block look' by Saints right tackle Zach Streif and took a hard outside rush - and in the process took himself completely out of the play, parting the Red Sea on the left side of the Texans defense. With Barwin out of the play, Streif was able to get downfield and block Brian Cushing. Pollard was deep (over the top help for Brice McCain who was man up on Marques Colston) and eventually came over to make the tackle but not after an 8 yard gain and a first down.

Another 3rd and 6 for the Saints at around the 11:00 minute mark gave the Texans another opportunity to get off the field. Texans show blitz and the Saints isolate Jeremy Shockey on Bernard Pollard. Pollard can't keep up with Shockey and as a result commits an ugly pass interference, extending the Saints drive.

On the ensuing 1st and 10, the Saints line up in an offset-I, lead back right, TE left, two WRs right. Antonio Smith is at RDE lined up at the 5-tech between the TE and LT. Earl Mitchell is head up on the LG. At the snap, the flow is to the right and Mitchell gets caught inside by Saints LT Jermon Bushrod, Smith gets a light chip from the TE and doesn't see Brees handoff to Pierre Thomas who starts right and then cuts back against the flow for another huge run.

After two more big gains helped by poor tackling by the Texans, the Saints lined up for a first and goal at the 9 yard line. Defensive tackle remains a major weakness on the Texans and this play was a good example why. Shaun Cody lined up at the 1-technique (center's left shoulder), and Amobi at the 3-tech ( RG's right shoulder). DeMeco was 5 yards deep over center. At the snap, the center takes Cody left and out of the play. The Saints RG lets Amobi come through clean (football instincts should kick in here) and he's easily trapped by the LG who fired over at the snap. Meanwhile, the Saints RG, Jahri Evans (all 318 lbs of him), makes a beeline for Ryans and takes him out of the play while Zach Streif takes out Brian Cushing.

The Texans offense scored four times in nine drives but their longest drive of the night was 3:53 and they lost the time-of-possession game by a whopping 40:00 to 20:00. The Texans had two lost fumbles (Foster and Holliday) and picked off the Saints one time (Clark).

The Texans were two for three in redzone efficiency but allowed the Saints to score four out of five times they visited the redzone

http://www.examiner.com/mma-in-houston/texans-are-one-big-easy-for-saints

Paul Kuharsky:

Impressive:
Neil Rackers
Steve Slaton
Danny Clark
Dan Orlovsky

Disappointing:
Defense
Interior D-line
Arian Foster
Texans
Pass Defense
Trindon Holliday
Texans O

Post game quotes

Holliday has a hurt thumb? Better get it fixed quick 'cause Slaton, Jones, and McManis all did well.

Kubiak (on rookie returner Trindon Holliday) "We are trying to find out if he can play with his thumb. We put him back there, and he practiced all week, but obviously it is a problem. If he can't hang on to the ball, we need to find somebody else to do it. He is obviously struggling with the thumb, in fairness to him."

(on the Texans' return game) "I was real impressed with Steve Slaton going back there. I was real impressed with (Sherrick) McManis, I thought he looked good. Jeremiah (Johnson) goes back at the end. I think we have some options there....

(on injuries to the Texans) "Danny Clark looks like the biggest one. He has some type of knee strain."

(on the severity of Danny Clark's injury) "No, I don't. I know he is the most significant of anybody that came out of the game. How bad? I don't know."

(Another area of game notes mentions :Clark "looks like he has some type of knee strain," per Kubiak)

Didn't see anything on AJ - so whatever happened must be fine.

Matt Schaub (on his reaction to the loss) "I don't think we have to panic. We still have two more preseason games to go and I feel we will be ready for the beginning of the season. I know a lot of us here in the locker room feel we could have had more intensity, but I'm not worried. We had a great week of practice. Now all we have to do is make sure we are ready once the real game begins."

Kubiak conference just awhile ago:

Danny Clark status?

Lost some players with Adibi and Danny there for some time last week. Questionable going into next weeks game. Had bumps and bruises. Sprained knee basically

How did Spencer workout go?

Didnt go to it. Briefly talked to Rick. Worked out him and Ephraim. Just wanted to work them out should something come up later.

Seen enough from Earl to give him reps at 1?

He's getting reps there with 1s. He's playing and good level. Deserves more time. Sees how it goes.

Like what you saw from Steve Slaton?

Looked good out there. Looked at few guys for KR. Trindon had some issues. Gotta look at other guys.

How much do you look at this as it's just preseason and how much concern is there?

Got pushed around. They controlled clock. Wasnt good. Our attention to detail, effort, not what it needs to be. Got things to fix, issues to attend to.

Offensively, what did NO do?

Kept pounding away. Couldnt get off the field on 3rd down.

How did you feel about Wade?

Started the game, rotated some guys. Excellent chance to be a fine player.

K competition?

Both were good. Disappointing on kickoff. Both are better than that. New week ahead.

What is wrong with Holliday's thumb?

Def. an issue. Got ligament issue. Not sure what. Doctors thought he could play through. Handled well in practice, not in game. He will see a doc tomorrow.

How did yall turn it around last year after the bad start?

We stopped the run and didnt do that last night. They ran the ball well. Couldnt get off the field.

Surprised Daniel played well?

Looked good in practice. Makes good, quick decisions.

Now you're on national TV against America's team. What will you tell team?

Better not have to tell them anything. Spend a lot of time talking about issues we have, preparing for game, etc.

Unhappy with a lot of practices this year?

I wouldnt say that. Thought we had good practices against NO.

Is there anyone in front 7 that did something good?

Earl shows up with effort. Frank made some nice plays but hard to go anywhere when they ran the ball so well. Troy continues to stand out. Kareem was solid.

What was Nolan doing?

Aggressive. SOlid tackler. Our concern was mental aspect but hes showing progress.

[missed question]
I dont think we tackled well. They're gonna make plays. We didnt tackle well in space as a group. We couldnt get off the field. Too easy for them. Nothing scheme wise.

Dan O take another step forward?

Continues to improve. #s were good. I'm always on him. I want to see him become great, not just ok. I'll keep pushing him

Briesel at C? Status?

Mike was sick last week. Want him to work at G and battle there. Wanted to see him play C since Helms is out. Who is our backup C, who is our swing guy, etc. He played ok.

Other injuries?

Barwin, Bentley had ankle soreness. Should be fine. General soreness. Sharpton got a knee bruise, should be fine, Mario ankle sore, should be fine.. Decision time on Cushing situation soon.

[missed question]
Thought he would be back this week. Had a setback. Will let you know's later(assume Adibi?)Edit: It is Adibi.
McClain_on_NFL

Texans were hoping to get back OLB Xavier Adibi but he's suffered setback with groin injury and won't be available.

What will tell you you're ready next week?

1s will play 3 Q's. We'll see where we're at.

"If we have the right guys, then they'll come back and play a lot better this week." - Coach Kubiak

Back