Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs. Raiders . . . in the trenches

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I noticed that there's a prediction thread up already, but I usually don't go there because I'm frowned upon if I predict with my head instead of the heart.

The first 3 games, the Texans have been beaten on the line of scrimmage . . on both sides of the ball. Now, we're finally playing a 'good' football team. The Raiders offensive line is one of the best in the NFL. When the Texans have the ball, I don't like the matchups there either. Not even counting Warren Sapp, the Ted Washington/Steve McKinney matchup is going to be an ugly thing to watch.

So that means Kerry Collins is going to get too much time to throw, and Carr ain't gonna get enough. (sound familiar?)

Now, having said all that, the Texans could be 3-0 if the breaks went entirely their way, and didn't have those turnovers in the first two games. But that was against 3 "inferior" teams.

The only way the Texans can beat a better team than them, (which the Raiders are) is if they play mistake-free football. NO TURNOVERS! And very few penalties. They'll have to take chances with some all-out blitzes, and throw the ball up for grabs into double coverage, and hope they get lucky. And the Raiders will have to play sloppy . . turn the ball over, and other things to beat themselves.

But if the Raiders come into Reliant focused, and ready to play some football . . . yuk! And the "Playcalling Posse" and the "Fire X Brigade" will all come crawling out from under their rocks.

Look for us to blitz to the rookies' side, and alot of it might be from Peek. IF we can get pressure on Collins, he could easily throw 2-3 INTs.

As Marcus has stated, the line for both the offense and defense will be key on this one. If they don't hold up, we will have our heads handed to us. If they do, then it will likely be a low scoring game and that is one I think we can win. If Gannon/Collins can sit back there in a rocking chair it will be a VERY long game for us. The Raiders game is the long ball style and they will put up points if we don't get pressure. Collins in particular has a hard time dealing with pressure and can be rattled. Gannon on the otherhand has more difficulty throwing deep, but will cut you apart with the underneath stuff. Their defense seems strong up the middle, but can be had to the outside on the run. The secondary is fair and should be able to be exploited.

I agree. I'd like to see Fangio use some blitz packages all game long similar to what the Eagles did to the Vikings last Monday night. Granted, it will make us vunerable to the big play, and we'll probably get burned a couple of times for doing it. But damn those torpedoes! I think it's worth the risk in that it could payoff big in the takeaway/giveaway numbers.

Well, we don't have to worry about Gannon because he is out for 6 weeks, and might be out for the entire season.

If we get to Collins than we could have a good day regardless. Hes prone to throwing the INT when hes under pressure (why he isnt in NY anymore) so I think thats the key and I hope the coaches use that to their advantage. One of these days the lines are going to step up. They cant play this bad all of the time it just takes a while to gel. Who knows maybe this it the week they do that. We werent supposed to beat KC either, thats why we play the games.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
We have to get to Collins, if we get beat downfield and loose horribly...SO BE IT!

I rather that we lose fighting than for Collins to stand there, pick us apart and eat up all the clock! :hmmm:

Exactly! I don't want to hear the words, "Look at the time!" comng out of the play-by-play announcer's mouth, because I'll know that the Texans' defense is on the field.

Back