Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Cowboys Preseason Game 2 Thread

badboy

Hall of Fame
They got 3 picks from a 7th round 4th string nobody QB. They also had 75% of Dallas QBs passes completed on them.

Didn't get to watch the game, will try to later, but looking at the boxscore and some highlights, looks like it was a really boring game.

The run D looks like it played well again this week, and a 5 sack night looks pretty nice, especially with Omenihu getting a couple.

The offense? Yikes! 0-10 on 3rd down? WTF? Without Driskel's 23 rushing yards, the Texans were 2.8 per carry on the night? Starting-ish offense with just 13 snaps, looks like they could use a lot more work.

I'll have to wait and watch the game to comment on Mills. His stats certainly look better, but 141 yards total offense in his 6 drives with 5 of those 6 being 25 yards or less, no 3rd down conversions and 1 FG scoring drive was his night?

Zero TD passes by any Texans QB in 2 games.

Somewhat disappointed to see Phillips only get 4 touches but at least he averaged 4 yards per. Lindsay and Ingram combining for 2.3?

TEs got 2 targets the entire game, both to Jordan. So it looks like the O'Brien Kelly offense is in full swing.

And where was Nico?

Looks like a practice I was lucky to miss, but I'll take a look at it anyway.
Nicole had bo bo but could have played regular game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I was expecting more.

After the first two games I’m less optimistic about this team winning more than 4 games. & it starts up front. I thought the OL was the strongest part of our team & a new OL coach was going to establish a true running game.

We saw Dallas’ “1st team” open a gaping hole allowing their 2nd string RB to run 12 yards untouched, while our “1st team” couldn’t afford two yards to our RBs untouched.

If we can’t run the ball, we’ve got nothing. If we can’t stop the run, we’ve got nothing.
We have a 1.1 in 2022 draft...

badboy

Hall of Fame
Think about it from the perspective of Dallas. Here they are supposedly contending with Washington for their division. They were expected to dominate a no-talent team which is projected to be the worst team in the league. Pre-season or no, they lost . This was their 3rd pre-season game, the game they should have been preping for the season opener. And they lost. Against a bum, no talent bottom dweller team.
Oh goody our opponent feels bad because we beat them

Number19

Hall of Fame
Offense snaps %
G Christian T 36 67%
D Mills QB 31 57%
C Heck T 27 50%
M Scharping T 27 50%
C Green T 27 50%
J Veasy WR 26 48%
C Conley WR 25 46%
T Taylor WR 24 44%
A Erickson WR 23 43%
J McCray C 23 43%
D Isidora G 20 37%
T Howard T 19 35%
J Steckler T 18 33%
R McCollum C 18 33%
H Froholdt G 18 33%
A Auclair TE 17 31%
C Toner C 17 31%
B Jordan TE 17 31%
R Izzo TE 16 30%
B Howell RB 13 24%
B Cooks WR 13 24%
J Britt C 13 24%
K Coutee WR 13 24%
T Taylor QB 13 24%
C Moore WR 12 22%
S Phillips RB 12 22%
P Quessenberry TE 11 20%
J Driskel QB 10 19%
P Brown TE 9 17%
R Burkhead RB 9 17%
M Ingram RB 8 15%
D Jackson C 7 13%
P Lindsay RB 6 11%
D Johnson RB 5 9%
K Warring TE 4 7%
J Akins TE 4 7%
D Jackson RB 3 6%
I'm not sure how accurate this is as for the positions played. I've already deleted the game so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that Scharping was playing RG rather than OT, at least some of the time. He and Heck were in the game at the same time. Also, wasn't Howard playing LG and not OT, with Christian at LT? Snap count is accurate, I'd say, but, for the OL, not where the snaps were taken.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm not sure how accurate this is as for the positions played. I've already deleted the game so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure that Scharping was playing RG rather than OT, at least some of the time. He and Heck were in the game at the same time. Also, wasn't Howard playing LG and not OT, with Christian at LT? Snap count is accurate, I'd say, but, for the OL, not where the snaps were taken.
Counts are accurate, they just have the positions listed there differently for whatever reason.
Lineups show that Christian started at LT, Howard-LG, Britt-C, Scharping-RG, Heck-RT.

Full gamebook

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Looks like most of the OL were listed by their depth chart positions...........except for Scharping.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Scharpie did play RG as did #75 McCollum some who also played some center.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

So, it's confirmed that the Cowboys were without 3 presume starters on the defensive front.
Lawrence (DE), Gallimore DT, and Watkins DT were out.
The FA they signed during the off-season (9 starts for the Jets 4 Sacks), Basham (DE), who was supposedly to be a part of the rotation, was also out.

The 4th starter, DE Gregory, was limited to 14 snaps due to an injury he suffered in the previous season game.
He did not show up on the stat sheet (gamebook provided by Speedy above).

Basically, the Cowboys had no pass rushers.
Probably why they decided to work on numerous zone dog.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Counts are accurate, they just have the positions listed there differently for whatever reason.
Lineups show that Christian started at LT, Howard-LG, Britt-C, Scharping-RG, Heck-RT.

Full gamebook
Britt (24% snaps) and Howard (35%) must be looking pretty good to the coaches. Scharping and Heck, with 50% snaps, getting a lot of work. Christian getting the most work and looked really bad on one play in particular. We need Tunsil back anchoring the left side.

Tunsil was placed on the Covid list on Friday the 13th, so should be returning to the team this week. Camp ends Thursday, so he may not practice much, if any; depends on when they started the 2 week countdown. Covid shouldn't have affected him physically and he should be chomping at the bit to get back onto the field.

We'll see our starting 5 against the Bucs.

Also, I see our starting RB's and TE's had limited snaps.

Haven't heard anything about the return of Cannon and Taylor.

The Bucs are going to be a good test for our starters.

At least one was on Dallas' first offensive series, the strip-sack fumble recovery. But IMO that was more on their QB than the line.
There has to be some good to take from that turnover and all the other turnovers we've caused. It was the second game in a row where our opponents Qb was strip sacked and we also won the turnover battle overall. Being that we put a premium on doing better at causing turnovers, I would say mission accomplished and it does not matter whether it was their best players or not. The fact that we are winning the turnover battles has to count for something. Our guys have put forth the effort to cause turnovers and it has worked out so far! I will take whatever signs I can take that shows we are on the right track!

Texansballer74

The Marine
Britt (24% snaps) and Howard (35%) must be looking pretty good to the coaches. Scharping and Heck, with 50% snaps, getting a lot of work. Christian getting the most work and looked really bad on one play in particular. We need Tunsil back anchoring the left side.

Tunsil was placed on the Covid list on Friday the 13th, so should be returning to the team this week. Camp ends Thursday, so he may not practice much, if any; depends on when they started the 2 week countdown. Covid shouldn't have affected him physically and he should be chomping at the bit to get back onto the field.

We'll see our starting 5 against the Bucs.

Also, I see our starting RB's and TE's had limited snaps.

Haven't heard anything about the return of Cannon and Taylor.

The Bucs are going to be a good test for our starters.
I don’t think the starters will see any action against the Bucs. Usually the last preseason game is played by those that are trying to make the final cut. But hey Coach might do something different. The Bucs on the other more and likely won’t play none of their starters at all.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t think the starters will see any action against the Bucs. Usually the last preseason game is played by those that are trying to make the final cut. But hey Coach might do something different. The Bucs on the other more and likely won’t play none of their starters at all.
If teams dont play their starters the last preseason game it will have been 3 weeks before the start of the regular season since the starters have played.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If teams dont play their starters the last preseason game it will have been 3 weeks before the start of the regular season since the starters have played.
I imagine the first four weeks of the season are going to be pretty bad across the league. I mean there was a major drop in quality play after the last CBA with the new limits on practice & padded practice.

It’s especially been bad for bad teams, taking them about 8 weeks before they’re playing good football.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Things are different this year though. If they don't play next week, it will be 3 weeks of no live game action. That's a long layoff IMHO. And after Saturday, particularly on offense, it really looks like they could use the reps.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I've seen it reported twice, once by someone on this forum and again by McClain in the Chronicle, that the Bucs will play their starters and that Brady will also play.

Dejaview

All Pro

0-10 on third downs

0-10 on third downs
Oh wow I did not see that Ingram was in the game on the third down offenses.Thanks for telling me! BTW, who is Cole Thompson, lol.

Dejaview

All Pro
S

So, it's confirmed that the Cowboys were without 3 presume starters on the defensive front.
Lawrence (DE), Gallimore DT, and Watkins DT were out.
The FA they signed during the off-season (9 starts for the Jets 4 Sacks), Basham (DE), who was supposedly to be a part of the rotation, was also out.

The 4th starter, DE Gregory, was limited to 14 snaps due to an injury he suffered in the previous season game.
He did not show up on the stat sheet (gamebook provided by Speedy above).

Basically, the Cowboys had no pass rushers.
Probably why they decided to work on numerous zone dog.
sounds fair. All Texans QB’s really are backups with a grand total of ONE preseason game in a new system under their belts at game time against the boys. Love it that the haters have to resort to our opponents media to find excuses for a team that won’t roll over for their hate attacks. What did their media say about our QB backups? Nothing from their reports other than gloating how their poor depleted defense shut the Texans down.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans are in essence an expansion team again considering all that's happened this off season. It doesn't bother me at all they'll have a bad to mediocre year, I expect it. Next year is when I expect some improvement. The fact that this team seems to already be playing more disciplined football than OB's team did at ANY part of the season is encouraging to me.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I seriously doubt they care. Their backup was strip sacked & their backups backup threw a pick six... neither would happen in a real game.

Texans did not convert a single third down. I'd rather hang my defensive hat on that, than winning a meaningless game.
Honestly, the biggest talk from Cowboys sitting near me and on the boards was can we get a flight out of Dallas for DiNucci and wasn’t fond of Knox either. I’m waiting for the next round of cuts and seeing who on my list will be in the next round, yeah I was taking notes. My biggest worry is having a quarterback that can step up if something happens to Dak, and one who gift wraps and places a bow on the ball before throwing out the gifts is very distressing.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
S

sounds fair. All Texans QB’s really are backups with a grand total of ONE preseason game in a new system under their belts at game time against the boys. Love it that the haters have to resort to our opponents media to find excuses for a team that won’t roll over for their hate attacks. What did their media say about our QB backups? Nothing from their reports other than gloating how their poor depleted defense shut the Texans down.
They did.
0-10 in third down conversions.
I bet that will win a lot of games.

It's funny/ironic how a positive guy can be so hateful with facts.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Texans are in essence an expansion team again considering all that's happened this off season. It doesn't bother me at all they'll have a bad to mediocre year, I expect it. Next year is when I expect some improvement. The fact that this team seems to already be playing more disciplined football than OB's team did at ANY part of the season is encouraging to me.
Well if they look ready to play then they 're not an expansion team.
And they aren't an expansion team.
This roster is better, at least on paper, than the 2006 team.
That team won 6 games, including one against the 12-4 Colts and one against the Jags (9th in offensive scoring, 4th in points allowed and 2nd in yard allowed).

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Honestly, the biggest talk from Cowboys sitting near me and on the boards was can we get a flight out of Dallas for DiNicci and wasn’t fond of Knox either. I’m waiting for the next round of cuts and seeing who on my list will be in the next round, yeah I was taking notes. My biggest worry is having a quarterback that can step up if something happens to Dak, and one who gift wraps and places a bow on the ball before throwing out the gifts is very distressing.
I mentioned last year that the Texans should’ve picked up QB, Cooper Rush when the Cowboys cut him. He might be better than anyone the Texans could put under center this season.

Worth mentioning, I wanted the Texans to invest a late round pick on Rush (Central Michigan University) or pick him up as an UDFA when he wasn’t drafted.

Dejaview

All Pro
They did.

Whose hateful with facts? I don’t recall discussing 0-10 third down conversions. This team has very few players that will start in a position they played with this team last year….basically all backups when it comes to the new system they are in. Yet these past two games the big excuses were for our opponents weren’t playing all their starters. where Is the story in that? That’s my point. The big story is watching this American hockey team being constructed to play with the Russians. Besides the third down thing, which has to be fixed, Texans have only allowed 70 rushing ypg so far. cant remember. Has anyone scored on them after the half? Yeah preseason. But it is what you want to see and it’s coaching points. What about our turnover ratio and all the sacks from the DL in a base D? Yep, playing backups. But it is what you want too see. there Is lots to cleanup and the mantra from the HC is about consistency. Do it right then keep doing it right or you don’t make the cut. We are already cutting players from last year that never got that point. Homerism? Nope. It’s like laying the foundation for a house then building it. The folks that are really hateful with the facts are all those wanting a pop-up house.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
True that Thorn and my sentiments are very close to yours, because I feel like we've already got an upgrade in the coaching staff, and that's the HC and assistants, especially with coordinator Lovie S. and OL coach Campen.
Even if it's still preseason this Saturday I expect the Texans to be pumped for their home game premiere vs the Champs & the GOAT,
so I'm hoping Brady does play atleast a single series.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I mentioned last year that the Texans should’ve picked up QB, Cooper Rush when the Cowboys cut him. He might be better than anyone the Texans could put under center this season.

Worth mentioning, I wanted the Texans to invest a late round pick on Rush (Central Michigan University) or pick him up as an UDFA when he wasn’t drafted.
Please forward your resume to Cal McNair

Dejaview

All Pro
They did.

Let’s look at some facts.…You state the obvious. You don’t win that way. Davis Mills played most of the QB minutes. This was his second game and is a rookie. He hasn’t faced blitz schemes before so he couldn’t make them pay for it. The OL backups and esp. the backup centers had communication issues. When you are a rookie in his second game and not having seen a blitz before given those odds it doesn’t matter if the blitz came from starters or backups and I’m pretty sure this is why Driskel came in to run and not pass. In the face of those odds some facts are worth noting. From game one to this game. Mills raised his completion ratio and almost doubled his passer rating. He didn’t commit any turnovers either. He never panicked and now has that experience to go to practice with. It’s up to the coaches to fix and call the right plays but as DC later said it was the blitzes that disrupted their offense. We didnt get a chance to see what some of those third down play calls were but pretty sure some of the runs were made to save Mills.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Let’s look at some facts.…You state the obvious. You don’t win that way. Davis Mills played most of the QB minutes. This was his second game and is a rookie. He hasn’t faced blitz schemes before so he couldn’t make them pay for it. The OL backups and esp. the backup centers had communication issues. When you are a rookie in his second game and not having seen a blitz before given those odds it doesn’t matter if the blitz came from starters or backups and I’m pretty sure this is why Driskel came in to run and not pass. In the face of those odds some facts are worth noting. From game one to this game. Mills raised his completion ratio and almost doubled his passer rating. He didn’t commit any turnovers either. He never panicked and now has that experience to go to practice with. It’s up to the coaches to fix and call the right plays but as DC later said it was the blitzes that disrupted their offense. We didnt get a chance to see what some of those third down play calls were but pretty sure some of the runs were made to save Mills.
Texans had 6 possessions with Mills at QB. They gained 25 yards or less in 5 of them. If you’re going to make excuses for the 3rd down conversion rate, what’s your excuse for not being able to move the ball for 5 of 6 drives?

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I seriously doubt they care. Their backup was strip sacked & their backups backup threw a pick six... neither would happen in a real game.

Texans did not convert a single third down. I'd rather hang my defensive hat on that, than winning a meaningless game.
It happened last year and now this..

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I totally agree, difference is with this "expansion" team I believe we already have a young future QB to build around. I don't just look at stats in these games, especially when it comes to rookies. Mills already possesses textbook footwork and QB mechanics/throwing release. He's already progressing through multiple reads extremely fast for a rookie and for the most part decision making has been spot on.

That's over half the battle with young QBs. Mostly when you get QBs like that in the 3rd round they have large physical limitations like a noodle arm or smaller size. Mills has a even stronger arm than I expected (fantastic arm/can make every throw) and great size/mobility for that size. I can easily see why people thought if he returned to college He'd be a top pick. I also believe He'll end up being better than a couple of first rounders in his own draft.

People harp on the 3rd down conversion rate vs Dallas.. Mills made multiple good reads/throws on 3rd down (like he did against the Packers) only to have them fall incomplete, Conley had multiple. I see this kid starting at some point this season.. sooner than others think (given the line isn't total crap). Mills can put pressure and challenge defenses just where Taylor can't. Culley was right, He just needs consistently and you don't get that by sitting on a bench very long.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Whose hateful with facts? I don’t recall discussing 0-10 third down conversions. This team has very few players that will start in a position they played with this team last year….basically all backups when it comes to the new system they are in. Yet these past two games the big excuses were for our opponents weren’t playing all their starters. where Is the story in that? That’s my point. The big story is watching this American hockey team being constructed to play with the Russians. Besides the third down thing, which has to be fixed, Texans have only allowed 70 rushing ypg so far. cant remember. Has anyone scored on them after the half? Yeah preseason. But it is what you want to see and it’s coaching points. What about our turnover ratio and all the sacks from the DL in a base D? Yep, playing backups. But it is what you want too see. there Is lots to cleanup and the mantra from the HC is about consistency. Do it right then keep doing it right or you don’t make the cut. We are already cutting players from last year that never got that point. Homerism? Nope. It’s like laying the foundation for a house then building it. The folks that are really hateful with the facts are all those wanting a pop-up house.
You can do whatever you like.
I was simply putting down the facts.
Whatever people want to do with them, it's their choice.

I don't want to spend time going back and forth.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
In football, one person's facts is another person's fiction.

But yall keep at it. Gotta do something before the season starts anyways. :lol:

badboy

Hall of Fame

What do you base that on? NFL career stats were in 2017 only: 2 games played; 1/3 completed passes for two yards; he ran twice for 13 yards total...

*Do not mean to offend but if that's your evaluation...no thank you. But hey {as Charlie Casserly used to say} you did get 4 other posters to agree with you!
His best season [college] came as a junior in 2015, through the first 13 games he had 3,703 passing yards, which was a new school single-season record.[7] He completed 66.3 percent of his passes for 3,848 total passing yards, 25 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions.[8]
As a senior, his production dropped to 3,540 passing yards, 23 touchdowns, but with 16 interceptions and a low 59.8 completion percentage.[9
had some of the lowest marks at the combine----- Rush was ranked the 14th best quarterback prospect in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
What do you base that on? NFL career stats were in 2017 only: 2 games played; 1/3 completed passes for two yards; he ran twice for 13 yards total...

*Do not mean to offend but if that's your evaluation...no thank you. But hey {as Charlie Casserly used to say} you did get 4 other posters to agree with you!
Unfortunately, I didn't bother with his NFL starts simply b/c there wasn't enough to work with.....so I stayed with why I liked his output in CFB. I'd like to see if his game could mature with more time under center. In Dallas, Dak is on the perch and he had Dalton as QB2 in 2020....not going to get a lot of reps in Dallas. Cowboys liked Cooper Rush enough to keep him on the team from 2017 through last season. They did cut him 2020 only to turn right around and re-sign him. Personally, I think the Cowboys have done a fine job developing Rush and maybe it finally pays by moving him to QB2 in 2021.

Like I stated, CR would've came very cheap in 2020.....that's all I was saying.

It'd be nice if the Texans and Caserio would look at signing Josh Rosen since he to could be had for the right price. At this stage, I'd certainly be more enthralled with Rosen in the mix over Driskel.....and probably at less money.

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, I didn't bother with his NFL starts simply b/c there wasn't enough to work with.....so I stayed with why I liked his output in CFB. I'd like to see if his game could mature with more time under center. In Dallas, Dak is on the perch and he had Dalton as QB2 in 2020....not going to get a lot of reps in Dallas. Cowboys liked Cooper Rush enough to keep him on the team from 2017 through last season. They did cut him 2020 only to turn right around and re-sign him. Personally, I think the Cowboys have done a fine job developing Rush and maybe it finally pays by moving him to QB2 in 2021.

It'd be nice if the Texans and Caserio would look at signing Josh Rosen since he to could be had for the right price. At this stage, I'd certainly be more enthralled with Rosen in the mix over Driskel.....and probably at less money.
I'm sure they at least thought about Rosen, but I've heard he's signing with Atlanta at this point.

grizzgolf

Practice Squad
So are we 100% sure we wont play Watson this season? I'm guessing that's a yes but I just wanted to see what you guys think.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Rush is practicing with the starters and chances are he will be the Cowboys #2 QB. I'm not sold, but IMO, he is the best we have on the roster for now.

Rush is practicing with the starters and chances are he will be the Cowboys #2 QB. I'm not sold, but IMO, he is the best we have on the roster for now.
What do you think of the possibility of the Cowboys trading for Nick Foles? I saw it mentioned in trade rumors. I realize that Foles has not been anywhere near as good as he was since his Super Bowl run but I think a lot of that is the fault of the teams he has been on more than his fault personally.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

@Steelb and I, we both liked him to a certain degree.
I was able to watch some of his college tapes, but not enough to come to a personal opinion.
I needed to see why he had a 90/55 TD/INT ratio in the MAC.