Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Colts GameDay Thread

76Texan

Hall of Fame
On the INT by Taylor, the receiver, 81 Davion Davis, an UDFA in 2019.
He appeared in two games for the Vikings (3 snaps total), no catch.
Got a DUI that year and was cut.
He was out of football since then.

The Browns brought him in for pre-season this year.
Davis was suspended without pay for the first 2 games for violating the drug policy.
He was the cut by the Browns without playing a snap.

The Texans picked him up, but yesterday was the first time he saw the field.

The job of the receiver is to create separation and/or to shield the defender from the ball so that the QB can get the ball to you.
Davis did neither.

In fact, by falling out of bound (maybe with a little nudge by the LCB), Davis gave the defender all the room needed to intercept the ball.
He needed to attack the ball, to be the aggressor, and not letting the CB to walk all over him like that.
It's like he took himself totally out of the field of play so the defender can have an easy time to get to the ball.

It was really perplexing.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Davis was suspended without pay for the first 2 games for violating the drug policy.

The job of the receiver is to create separation and/or to shield the defender from the ball so that the QB can get the ball to you.
Davis did neither.

In fact, by falling out of bound (maybe with a little nudge by the LCB), Davis gave the defender all the room needed to intercept the ball.
He needed to attack the ball, to be the aggressor, and not letting the CB to walk all over him like that.
It's like he took himself totally out of the field of play so the defender can have an easy time to get to the ball.

So, opening play of the game. Kelly called a play with their best WR (Cooks) running a deep route to be a decoy for the UDFA with little to no playing time to catch a five yard pass?

Genius. No one including the intended receiver will see that coming. lol

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So, opening play of the game. Kelly called a play with their best WR (Cooks) running a deep route to be a decoy for the UDFA with little to no playing time to catch a five yard pass?

I don't know if that's the way it works. Usually the play has a route combination or two to attack a defense a particular way.

It's at the LOS the QB reads the defense & anticipates how the play will play out. He'll pick his primary read & work from there.

However, on this particular play Taylor is chased out of the pocket & makes a last minute decision to throw to Mr irrelevant.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Yeap.
Trying to outsmart themselves there.
I think we'll have to add Culley to that decision.
Letting an inexperienced receiver getting the first target on his first play in like forever.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't know if that's the way it works. Usually the play has a route combination or two to attack a defense a particular way.

It's at the LOS the QB reads the defense & anticipates how the play will play out. He'll pick his primary read & work from there.

However, on this particular play Taylor is chased out of the pocket & makes a last minute decision to throw to Mr irrelevant.
It was a designed PA roll out from the I formation.
Three routes to that side.
Cook, the Z, ran a fly route along the right sideline (covered) with the deep safety back to help.
Davis ran up and out from the right slot.
The X ran a crossing route from the other side (covered).
Davis needed to push the RCB back (bumping him as much as possible without getting called).
At the least, he needed to stay inbound and shield the defender away from the ball.

Inexperienced route runner is what it was.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It was a designed PA roll out from the I formation.
Three routes to that side.
Cook, the Z, ran a fly route along the right sideline (covered) with the deep safety back to help.
Davis ran up and out from the right slot.
The X ran a crossing route from the other side (covered).
Davis needed to push the RCB back (bumping him as much as possible without getting called).
At the least, he needed to stay inbound and shield the defender away from the ball.

Inexperienced route runner is what it was.
The point was that the plan was not to use Cooks as a decoy & target dude who hasn't played in forever

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The point was that the plan was not to use Cooks as a decoy & target dude who hasn't played in forever
The plan was to have 3 routes for the QB to choose from.

The Colts didn't buy the fake even though it was decent.
They're very familiar with this offensive play having running it from the days Luck was still there.
The Colts are still a play action team.
The easiest throw for the QB is the short route.
That ball was at worst to be an incompletion.

The point is why having an inexperienced WR starting the game and involved in the passing game right on his first snap.
What have he done to get the start to begin with?
They have Cooks, Conley, Collins, and Moore.
(Moore had 14 catches on 15 targets so far.)

Heck, they could line up with a 21P and two receivers if they wanted to.
Or they could start with a run.

Davis did neither.

The only WR who would sign?

Texansballer74

The Marine

Bro I'm so tired of this team. Why was dude even on the field let along picked up by Caserio.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The plan was to have 3 routes for the QB to choose from.

The Colts didn't buy the fake even though it was decent.
They're very familiar with this offensive play having running it from the days Luck was still there.
The Colts are still a play action team.
The easiest throw for the QB is the short route.
That ball was at worst to be an incompletion.

The point is why having an inexperienced WR starting the game and involved in the passing game right on his first snap.
What have he done to get the start to begin with?
They have Cooks, Conley, Collins, and Moore.
(Moore had 14 catches on 15 targets so far.)

Heck, they could line up with a 21P and two receivers if they wanted to.
Or they could start with a run.
:uprights:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Tyrod should’ve thrown that out of bounds.
Play this at .25 speed; you can see it better.

Notice how 81 fell completely out of bound, giving the CB a clear path to the ball.

I see QBs almost always throw this ball.

The only way a receiver leans outside of the playing field is when the ball gets thrown a bit too far outside.

If only 81 had stood up straight right next to the sideline, I'd say the ball would still be to this outside, right at the edge of the field.

The CB would have to go through him to get to the ball.

Also, the more the ball is thrown inside, the more reason for the receicer to lean it toward the bal, not to the outside like we see here.

There's another angle that isn't shown here.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Play this at .25 speed; you can see it better.

Notice how 81 fell completely out of bound, giving the CB a clear path to the ball.

I see QBs almost always throw this ball.

The only way a receiver leans outside of the playing field is when the ball gets thrown a bit too far outside.

If only 81 had stood up straight right next to the sideline, I'd say the ball would still be to this outside, right at the edge of the field.

The CB would have to go through him to get to the ball.

There's another angle that isn't shown here.
Yes the receiver messed up. But TT threw a lazy pass as well. Dude did not look like he wanted to be out there.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yes the receiver messed up. But TT threw a lazy pass as well. Dude did not look like he wanted to be out there.
Sure, he could have put a little more mustard on it, maybe.
I honestly don't know how them coach like the QB to throw it at (how much zip).

But if Davis runs the route like Hilton did in a different play where he bumped the defender off just a tad to get separation, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Or if he didn't lean and fell outside.
(Now, the DB may have given him a little nudge, but that would also goes back to what I've been trying to say: "That the receiver needs to be the aggressor instead of allowing the DB to be the aggressor ".

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Oh and Tyrod has a million reasons to want to be out there.

He now needs to play pretty much the rest of the starter snap to earn an extra million bucks.

He gets a small bonus for each game he suits up, too.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Sure, he could have put a little more mustard on it, maybe.
I honestly don't know how them coach like the QB to throw it at (how much zip).

But if Davis runs the route like Hilton did in a different play where he bumped the defender off just a tad to get separation, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Or if he didn't lean and fell outside.
(Now, the DB may have given him a little nudge, but that would also goes back to what I've been trying to say: "That the receiver needs to be the aggressor instead of allowing the DB to be the aggressor ".
TT saw that his receiver wasn't winning there and he still threw a weak pass. It's not like he was being pressured. It was a last minute split decision on his behalf. He could've tucked it and ran for 3-5 yards.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
TT say that his receiver wasn't winning there and he still threw a weak pass. It's not like he was being pressured. It was a last minute split decision on his behalf. He could've tucked it and ran for 3-5 yards.
I'm not sure he can even make it back to the LOS alive.
The LB was boring down on him hard.
One thing for sure he will be blasted if he had kept on running.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm not sure he can even make it back to the LOS alive.
The LB was boring down on him hard.
One thing for sure he will be blasted if he had kept on running.
I've seen him make players miss. So if he wanted it, he could've picked up positive yards. He clearly gave up on that play and made a very terrible decision. For a player who is known for protecting the ball, that was very uncharacteristic of him. That's the second time he did that this year.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans