Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans versus Buccaneers

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Whether Mills starts in game 1 or game 10 there will be enough data to determine whether he’s got the stuff to keep team from drafting a QB #1. No need to rush the process. Tyrod won the job in camp. Now he gets to prove he can keep it.
Clint Steorner said without question Mills was the most talented QB in camp. I’m not seeing it. Even if it were true we know it takes more than talent to play at this level & Mills is way behind Taylor in those aspects. As he should be.

Driskel or Mills... Mills.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I keep reading that Mills has a strong arm. Frankly, I just don’t see this strong arm QB. Too many floaters. I know it’s a small sample, but his arm does not seem stronger than Schaub.
We are clearly not seeing the same thing.. Not only is his arm stronger than Schaub's, he has a better arm than Watson. His ball placement is fleeting at times and he's making rookie mistakes. He needs to figure that out, but arm strength is definitely not a issue with him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We are clearly not seeing the same thing.. Not only is his arm stronger than Schaub's, he has a better arm than Watson. His ball placement is fleeting at times and he's making rookie mistakes. He needs to figure that out, but arm strength is definitely not a issue with him.
Both of those picks were underthrown due to poor footwork. Mills has a good arm. Not good enough to overcome throwing an out route off his back foot.

I get the 1st one, rookie mistake. The coaches should have been up his arse after that. The 2nd one? Lack of poise in the pocket.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't necessarily push it. Let's see what's coming down the pike in '23. But certainly looking like '22 or '23.
I would push it if Mills is only a backup and I think he is and there will be a franchise QB or two available when we pick; that's where I'm going.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I keep reading that Mills has a strong arm. Frankly, I just don’t see this strong arm QB. Too many floaters. I know it’s a small sample, but his arm does not seem stronger than Schaub.
I think many of his passes are floating because of him not taking a sack. He just flings it often off balance and feet not set.

I am not against Mills but think he needs more than just 2021 and another offseason before he can be a starter.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I just haven't seen anything from Mills that screams winning NFL QB. I don't see the instinctive plays. Looks like he's painting by numbers. Too much information, too much coaching, I don't know. I need to see a lot more. And we're out of preseason.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think many of his passes are floating because of him not taking a sack. He just flings it often off balance and feet not set.

I am not against Mills but think he needs more than just 2021 and another offseason before he can be a starter.
A couple of those throws either had a defender in his face or his own linemen pushed back into his throwing lane. Kid just couldn’t step into his throws. The problem is consistence.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Both of those picks were underthrown due to poor footwork. Mills has a good arm. Not good enough to overcome throwing an out route off his back foot.

I get the 1st one, rookie mistake. The coaches should have been up his arse after that. The 2nd one? Lack of poise in the pocket.
I agree, but I wonder if unfamiliarity is the reasoning behind the poor ball placement.

I can see not leading a receiver too much if you don't trust him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Anyone expecting ANYTHING of 2021 beyond baby steps is IMO going to be disappointed.
Personally, I don't think it's all about the Texans. It takes two to tango. A lot of the teams we will play have their own dysfunctions. We'll see how that plays out on the field.

I didn't watch as much preseason football as I thought I would, so I don't know where the other teams stand.

So I couldn't even fake a prediction.

But I do like what I see from the Texans & feel they'll compete each game of the 2021 season. We'll most likely lose a bunch of games, but I think they'll all be contested into the 4th qtr. Much like last year.

All the proof we need that preseasons are not meant as a measuring stick into how good a football team will be in the regular season is the butt whoopin the Jaguars handed the Cowboys today. That and several other lop sided wins this preseason by teams that did not seem to make sense.

Personally, I don't think it's all about the Texans. It takes two to tango. A lot of the teams we will play have their own dysfunctions. We'll see how that plays out on the field.

I didn't watch as much preseason football as I thought I would, so I don't know where the other teams stand.

But I do like what I see from the Texans & feel they'll compete each game of the 2021 season. We'll most likely lose a bunch of games, but I think they'll all be contested into the 4th qtr. Much like last year.
Although we played in some close games last season I don't think we got our teams best effort in a lot of those games. I don't see that happening this season.

I also see that the team fulfilling the things the team focused on during training camp is a good sign that they have had some good coaching. They forced a lot of turnovers and they cut cut down on stupid penalties and they did well running the football. Those things matter.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Especially if the team establishes and commits to running the ball while limiting penalties/turnovers. More running over passing and less penalties/turnovers means the clock is running more and there are less overall plays. Less plays means less opportunity to get blown out!

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity. Do you have a play in mind that demonstrated his strong arm and I will take another look. Maybe I missed it.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Anyone expecting more than five wins this season will be disappointed. And they may not even get that.
Let's see...

1. JAX - W
2. @CLE - L
3. CAR - W (maybe)
4. @BUF - L
5. NE - L
6. @IND - L (they have their own issues, but it's an L imo because it's a road game)
7. @ARI - L
8. LAR - L
9. @MIA - L
10. BYE (woo-hoo, count this as a W)
11. @TEN - L
12. NYJ - W (but probably another L)
13. IND - W
14. SEA - L
15. @JAX - L (maybe they'll start figuring things out by then, who knows)
16. LAC - L
17. @SF - L
18. TEN - L

So, that's 4 W's. And I think I've been generous. Someone convince me I'm wrong.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I would push it if Mills is only a backup and I think he is and there will be a franchise QB or two available when we pick; that's where I'm going.
The key words in your comment: "...and there will be a franchise QB or two two available when we pick..."

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Especially if the team establishes and commits to running the ball...
Last week I was disturbed by the Texans inability to get free yards for the RBs. You know two to 5 yards untouched.

The OL did a much better job of it yesterday. 1st team, 2nd team & the guys playing at the end of the game.

If they can do that consistently, yes a lot of games will be decided in the 4th qtr.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Let's see...

1. JAX - W
2. @CLE - L
3. CAR - W (maybe)
4. @BUF - L
5. NE - L
6. @IND - L (they have their own issues, but it's an L imo because it's a road game)
7. @ARI - L
8. LAR - L
9. @MIA - L
10. BYE (woo-hoo, count this as a W)
11. @TEN - L
12. NYJ - W (but probably another L)
13. IND - W
14. SEA - L
15. @JAX - L (maybe they'll start figuring things out by then, who knows)
16. LAC - L
17. @SF - L
18. TEN - L

So, that's 4 W's. And I think I've been generous. Someone convince me I'm wrong.
The 3 to 5 wins I've been predicting I have no idea of where they will come from. Probably on days where the defense is playing well would be my guess.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Clint Steorner said without question Mills was the most talented QB in camp. I’m not seeing it. Even if it were true we know it takes more than talent to play at this level & Mills is way behind Taylor in those aspects. As he should be.

Driskel or Mills... Mills.
Who cares. He’s a 3rd round draft pick.
If he doesn’t work out, it’s not a big deal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Anyone expecting more than five wins this season will be disappointed. And they may not even get that.
I'm hoping at a minimum Nick Caserio wants to win more than the four games the Texans won last season.

The goal should be to win 12+ games. & consider less than 6 wins complete failure.

I understand it's not probable that this team will win 12 games. But everything everyone does should be about winning 12 games.

badboy

Hall of Fame
A couple of those throws either had a defender in his face or his own linemen pushed back into his throwing lane. Kid just couldn’t step into his throws. The problem is consistence.
Yes he probably should have taken a sack or two rather than risk an interception.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The key words in your comment: "...and there will be a franchise QB or two two available when we pick..."
Based on what I know today I think that will happen. The only team I see beating us out for 1.1 would be the Detroit Lions. I think there are at least two quarterbacks again based on info today that could be there.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm hoping at a minimum Nick Caserio wants to win more than the four games the Texans won last season.

The goal should be to win 12+ games. & consider less than 6 wins complete failure.

I understand it's not probable that this team will win 12 games. But everything everyone does should be about winning 12 games.
Exactly, I’m not predicting that many wins but like you said the goal should be winning 10+ games and making a serious playoffs run.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying we’re making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Based on what I know today I think that will happen. The only team I see beating us out for 1.1 would be the Detroit Lions. I think there are at least two quarterbacks again based on info today that could be there.

The Jets, Giants and maybe even the Panthers will be in the running. There’s a possibility that Dak is out for the entire season. If so they’ll be in the running as well. I don’t see the Bengals winning over 5 games either.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Jets, Giants and maybe even the Panthers will be in the running. There’s a possibility that Dak is out for the entire season. If so they’ll be in the running as well. I don’t see the Bengals winning over 5 games either.
True but Jets, Dallas and Bengals will not be drafting quarterbacks no matter how high they are. Pun intended.

austins23

Hall of Fame
The most embarrassing losses came under the OB regime. No matter how “talented” the team was on paper they were good for at least two completely lifeless performances each season where they were down 4 tds or so by halftime. It did not matter if they were playing Super Bowl contenders or a .500 team it could happen any given week.

I don’t want to see that type of loss again. It usually starts off with a bunch of boneheaded penalties and turnovers that exacerbate themselves by boneheaded playcalls driving the team further down into the quicksand.
Exactly… the Broncos home loss comes to mind. The Chiefs playoff game at home as well. It’s one thing to get beat, it’s another thing to look completely incompetent while losing.
Here’s to hoping this years team is at least prepared to avoid those kind of games.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Exactly… the Broncos home loss comes to mind. The Chiefs playoff game at home as well. It’s one thing to get beat, it’s another thing to look completely incompetent while losing.
Here’s to hoping this years team is at least prepared to avoid those kind of games.
Foster’s final game against Dolphins as well… think Falcons that same season… too many to list!

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Exactly, I’m not predicting that many wins but like you said the goal should be winning 10+ games and making a serious playoffs run.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying we’re making the playoffs.
ANYONE in the Texans organization that is aiming for less should have been shown the door and immediately replaced before preseason.

Im a fan, Im allowed to be a pessimistic jerk that leans on likelyhood not hopes saying 0-17

IF it's my job, pessimism isnt a luxury afforded to myself, figuring out how to make it work, despite expectations is what they are paying me for. I should demand those around me expect no less than 17-0. Reality can set in after the loss and as a group learn from it... but if the aim before the game begins is to not wet yourself... whats the point?

badboy

Hall of Fame
ANYONE in the Texans organization that is aiming for less should have been shown the door and immediately replaced before preseason.

Im a fan, Im allowed to be a pessimistic jerk that leans on likelyhood not hopes saying 0-17

IF it's my job, pessimism isnt a luxury afforded to myself, figuring out how to make it work, despite expectations is what they are paying me for. I should demand those around me expect no less than 17-0. Reality can set in after the loss and as a group learn from it... but if the aim before the game begins is to not wet yourself... whats the point?
Aw, you are not pessimistic

Number19

Hall of Fame
And these are QB's you are willing to hang the Texans hat on for the following 8 to 12 years? Is the QB class going to be that strong next year?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Aw, you are not pessimistic
I am, but... my role is as a fan... which has ZERO relevance to any outcome of any game.

Unlike a player or coaching staff.

Been a Houston fan long enough to know that in regards to my fandom... optimism is not my friend... it is a cruel mistress that will make you think she loves you... only to stab her high heel where the sun dont shine once you believe.

That may be appealing to some... but we cant all be QBs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am, but... my role is as a fan... which has ZERO relevance to any outcome of any game.

Unlike a player or coaching staff.

Been a Houston fan long enough to know that in regards to my fandom... optimism is not my friend... it is a cruel mistress that will make you think she loves you... only to stab her high heel where the sun dont shine once you believe.

That may be appealing to some... but we cant all be QBs.
Wait!! You mean that my screaming at the TV and throwing enchiladas at the wall does not make any difference on how the Texans play? Where did I put Cal's cell phone number?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Wait!! You mean that my screaming at the TV and throwing enchiladas at the wall does not make any difference on how the Texans play? Where did I put Cal's cell phone number?
About as much as me going undefeated in multiple consecutive years of Madden in career mode sadly.

If so, Texans history would make Brady's legacy look like David Carr's