Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp Preview 2023

There's always hope but I really just don't see a season that bad in store for the Browns. They have a good roster and even if Watson plays like last year they're gonna win 5-6 games. If he gets back to his old self they are a playoff contender. Best realistic hope for the Browns pick is 10-15 I think. But I do love dreaming of MHJ

Based on reports..ever since that midweek off day, CJ is looking better and better and is in a big uptrend.

Again…basing this on guys that have eyes out their daily.

This so-called competition is coming to a relatively short end imho. Sometime after the NE game, I’m guessing it will be official or at least whispers that the comp is over. While it’s quite possible Davis gives you a better shot to beat Baltimore, I’m guessing DeMeco and staff are looking at this from the 10,000 foot view. In a perfect world, I’d start Mills week 1, then CJ week 2 in friendly confines. But that’s unlikely to happen for multiple reasons.

Sometime after the NE game, I’m guessing it will be official or at least whispers that the comp is over.
personally I hope they hold off naming him the starter as long as possible. Then they don't have to answer stupid questions when he gets the majority of the snaps in the pre-season games.

Forgive me if I've had enough star gazing in the last 20 plus years. Od was the only accidental pick in the batch.

I can't help but imagine the wagon from Django unjained bumping and rattling in the night...

"Hello, weary travlers! I've got an elixir of moon dust and snake oil that'll fix all you ailments."

Te's are the last piece of the puzzle.
Benny Joppru says hi.

The best teams have the best Te's. Kelce, Kittle, Andrews etc. Teams that can control the middle of the field.
Kelce, kittle, who else? Keep going...
Andrews, Pitts, Gronk back in the day etc....
Got to throw to the TEs to see what you got! How many times did the TEs go games in a row with like 4 targets?
OD was always open! It seemed to me. Ahh, the good ol days!

Here are 11 observations from the workout on August 5.

1. C.J. Stroud took all the reps with the first team.He had another great day passing the ball. Stroud was accurate with almost every pass. He made excellent decisions promptly. The offense operated well mixing Stroud’s accuracy with a couple of runs. Stroud didn’t try to do too much either. DeMeco Ryans said he continues to see improvement in Stroud.

2. There was a simple play that C.J. Stroud made that stood out. I say simple, but the actual execution was hard. The offense needed three yards to get a first down. Stroud took the snap and whipped it out to John Metchie as a defender was right in his face. Metchie got four yards and a first down. The offense kept moving. It was simple in that it was just three yards, but it was executed well.

3. The chains kept moving for C.J. Stroud and the offense. Needing 10 yards Stroud found Dalton Schultz for 11 yards and the first down. It was methodical but also impressive. Stroud dealt with some pressure but was constantly scanning the field hitting his pass catchers. Robert Woods caught some quick outs. Dameon Pierce had a reception as well as the offense was rolling.

4. It wasn’t all the offense on Saturday night. The defense had some wins. Will Anderson earned a sack in one of the team periods. Jacob Martin blew up some plays from the backside. Maliek Collins had one of the best combos of plays in all of training camp. Collins flew in for a sack. The offense attempted a screen to get some yards back, but Collins was there again for a big loss leading to the offense needing 25 yards for a first down.

5. Tank Dell stood out in a big way on Saturday. Dell was the go-to guy for Davis Mills on a drive where he hauled in two big catches. The first one Dell started outside but then cut inside for a 20-yard reception. The next one a few plays later Dell had to contort his body to get into position for the catch but gained almost 20 yards on that play. After practice slot cornerback Tavierre Thomas gushed about the talent and quickness of Dell.

6. During the 7-on-7 portion of practice the offense and defense traded shots. Steven Nelson had a nice pass breakup early. Derek Stingley forced Nico Collins to the sideline and the pass was too far outside. The offense scored a couple of times. C.J. Stroud found tight end Mason Schreck for a score. Later the play of the day was a reception from Dameon Pierce. The running back turned around and left his feet to haul in a perfectly placed pass from Stroud. Pierce is going to have some opportunity in the passing game.
    1. This entire wide receiver group feels interchangeable but in a good way. It seems like the hope is all the wideout to be able to play more than one spot. It makes practice hard, I’m sure, but it also will make it hard to gameplan and predict the Texans. If Bobby Slowik can use versatility to close the talent gap he faces each week it will go a long way for this offense.

2. Davis Mills had a nice throw to Jesse Matthews. It was one of the first times Matthews jumped off the page. He was covered well but skied for the ball and tapped both toes for a catch. The defense was yelling at the official, but it looked like a catch to me. Steven Sims also had a catch on a short third down to move the chains. Rookie running back Xazavian Valladay had a good run and catch over the middle.

3. I will finish with how the practice finished.C.J. Stroud was leading the team in a situation where the offense had about 70 yards to go and needed a touchdown to tie the game. Stroud moved the team down and even took a risk going over the middle and needing a spike. It came down to one play, about 20 yards out, for the chance to tie the game. The final play saw Stroud attempt to extend the play the best he can and finally rocket one into the endzone. Incomplete. Now, the question I have is if that scenario occurs in week one against the Baltimore Ravens how would you feel? Let me know in the comments.
https://www.houfootball.com/p/11-observations-from-day-nine-of

Last edited:
Based on reports..ever since that midweek off day, CJ is looking better and better and is in a big uptrend.

This so-called competition is coming to a relatively short end imho. Sometime after the NE game, I’m guessing it will be official or at least whispers that the comp is over. While it’s quite possible Davis gives you a better shot to beat Baltimore, I’m guessing DeMeco and staff are looking at this from the 10,000 foot view. In a perfect world, I’d start Mills week 1, then CJ week 2 in friendly confines. But that’s unlikely to happen for multiple reasons.
That’s not a bad idea. Let him watch and learn a little from the preview then turn him loose in game two. Edit. Forgot about the preseason games. Start him game one.

CJ Stroud is your new starting QB.

Id be surprised if he is not the starter and hes taking ALL the first team reps with a game less than a week away.

It's his job to lose at this point.
It was always going to be this way. QB's aren't picked 1-2 to sit on the bench. You can't market a guy when he's sitting on the bench.

Funny how when Stroud wasn't doing well these same reporters were just looking for click bait. Now that he's improving these same reporters words are golden. LMAO

Not saying you are that guy, because you put down multiple reasons, which is the truth.

It was always going to be this way. QB's aren't picked 1-2 to sit on the bench. You can't market a guy when he's sitting on the bench.

He was drafted to start at some point - 100% true. That’s different then the guy clearly standing out as the best heading into week one. There were plenty of folks indicating that Mills had at least a bit of a lead on Stroud in week one. Pair that with the fact Mills has a lot of starts under his belt and is more likely to win game 1 than a fresh as a daisy rookie being thrown in the river hoping he swims and doesn’t sink… and it wouldn’t be shocking at all if Mills was named the starter for week one.

On the road at Baltimore is a tough challenge for anyone. Fans need to have very reasonable expectations for CJ if he starts. They will throw the kitchen sink, a bathtub, a spigot, and a few spare nuts and bolts at him. He will see things he has never seen and it’s likely to be a rough day at the office. But he will learn from it.

The guy with the 22% winning percentage? No. Stroud needs to start. The Texans need Stroud to start. The more tough games on the road for CJ the sooner the Texans start winning them.
I'm all for getting him on the field as soon as possible. Sink or swim

Winning them should start sooner rather than later, regardless.

The guy with the 22% winning percentage? No. Stroud needs to start. The Texans need Stroud to start. The more tough games on the road for CJ the sooner the Texans start winning them.

If it is better for Stroud to sit a game or two than sit Stroud.

If it is better for Stroud to start day one than start him.

Do whatever is best for his development. Don’t worry about Ws or Ls.

I think he’s been injured, but I’m not sure where I saw that.

Notes from Practice on 6 Aug 2023

NOTES: Howard left practice early with a hand injury and it’s not expected to be a long-term recovery, per a league source.
Veteran tackle George Fant, signed to a one-year, $4 million contract, filled in for Howard at right tackle Saturday.
Offensive tackle Charlie Heck remains on the physically unable to perform list with a foot issue.
Undrafted rookie offensive lineman D.J. Scaife injured his right leg and was carted off the field. The former University of Miami starter, previously with the Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins, is still being evaluated for what’s believed to be a serious injury, per a league source.
Several players didn’t practice Saturday, including linebacker Christian Kirksey (hamstring), safety Brandon Hill (hamstring), defensive tackle Thomas Booker (leg), defensive tackle Kurt Hinish (calf), wide receiver Noah Brown (rest day), defensive end Dylan Horton (groin).
Tight end Teagan Quitoriano is on the physically unable to perform list with a quadriceps muscle he pulled during the summer. Quitoriano is running at nearly full speed and is expected to be activated as soon as next week.

Friday

On Friday during 1 on 1 drills with the WR’s v. CB’s it was quite a sight to see 2nd year WR John Metchie work. Yes I realize I mention Metchie a lot, but the player is a tactician with his foot work. Twice he put CB Desmond King on his heels.

Conversely, and direct competition for King, CB Tavierre Thomas was locking down players in his drills. Getting his hands on the receiver early within the 3 yard mark to shut down any movement.

Moving on to 7 on 7 work we witnessed C.J. Stroud take some positive steps. After a mixed bag earlier in the week, Stroud put his stamp on practice with a big hit to Nico Collins down the sideline for a touchdown with Shaq Griffin in coverage.

Stroud continued his work with later hitting Tank Dell on a quick out route to keep the chains moving. Dell’s confidence continues to shine through (more on that later).

Andrew Beck…FB o TE? Nobody knows. I asked a few folks today, do we call it 12 or 21 personnel when Beck is on the field? I’ve seen Beck line up at full back, in the slot, inline tight end, and even in motion. Mills caught Beck on a big gain with a pass down the seam where the safety (didn’t see who) couldn’t get over in coverage in time.

Robert Woods hasn’t made much noise but when he’s needed he is there. Stroud lined up the offense on a 3rd and 2 with Woods lined up next to Schultz. Schultz ran a clear out route with Woods running a quick dig route just past the first down marker for an easy first down.

DeMeco Ryans had Chris Burke handling the play call duties during 11 on 11’s on Friday. Burke called up a variety of play calls. One defensive formation caught my eye with what I believe is called a “bear front”. The defense had 5 defensive linemen at the LOS with three defensive tackles.

The team then shifted over to 11 on 11 with the offense at their own 2 yard line trying to get out of their end zone. It was ugly. The offense had two straight false starts, unknown if the cause was on Stroud or Scruggs, but it was rough to watch. On the other hand DE Jacob Martin was loving ever minute of it.

During this team set, LB Henry To’o To’o made a fantastic read stuffing Pierce at the LOS. To’o To’o is in a heavy battle for the “mike” linebacker spot with the 1s against veteran Denzel Perryman.

Just a few players later LB Christian Harris chased down C.J. Stroud on a bootleg in the end zone finishing with what would have been a safety. Harris’ change of direction is still on point.

The finale of the fantastic defensive stand during this set was DE Jacob Martin blowing past LT George Fant for a would be sack. Fant was filling in at left tackle for Laremy Tunsil who had a veteran day off.

Scanning my notes I have another entry “45 TFL”. I will admit with the signing of Jacob Martin I did not expect him to make much noise. Clearly I am wrong as Martin is a major player in the 4 man edge rusher rotation with Anderson, Hughes, and Greenard.

LB Denzel Perryman capped off the defensive stand with a fantastic read and interception of C.J. Stroud. There is work to be done for the offense when their back is up against the wall.

Saturday

Saturday was another open practice to the fans and the team did not disappoint.

The fireworks started early when CB Kendall Sheffield broke free for a would be kick off return touchdown down the line in front of the fans. The cheers roared and caught many of us in the media tent off guard. I was chatting with one of the nicest people in the world in Deepi Sidhu; and it was a “back to work” moment for both of us.

The team started off with 7 on 7 in the red zone. What happened next was a pure clinic by the C.J. Stroud led offense. The defense got one stop on the first snap with CB Steven Nelson breaking on a pass heading for WR Nico Collins for a nice pass break-up. That’s all they would get.

Three touchdowns later by the offense (well two because one was called out of bounds but I disagree with the call).

1. Stroud connected with RB Dameon Pierce for an acrobatic catch with CB Desmond King in coverage. Oddly enough the RB’s were working on end zone double moves just prior to this touchdown.

2. Stroud finds an open TE Mason Schreck at the back of the end zone placing the ball where only Schrek can get to it.

3. Stroud finds TE Dalton Schultz in the back corner on a big miss match with CB Kendall Sheffield in coverage. The ref ruled it incomplete but it was a touchdown in our hearts.

4. Stroud tried to find WR Nico Collins on a fade to the back corner but this time was off target.
Stroud came out of the drill with 3 touchdowns, and Mills finished with 0 touchdowns.

The team then moved to 11 on 11 work where we got to witness the Will Anderson v Laremy Tunsil show. Each player had their wins. It was clear there was something to prove here.

A few plays later the team was lined up with Stroud in shotgun with Pierce to his right. Before the snap we see Stroud take off to his left in an orbit motion. Stroud hits Pierce in a stride for a nice gain.

C Juice Scruggs was looking for work today, clearly his best day after finding his footing with the 1’s. The defense tried a stunt with LB Denzel Perryman and DE Will Anderson with Anderson darting inside only to be confronted by Scruggs to give the quarterback time to make a throw.

We finally witnessed the fabeled zone block RB toss with the cutback. RB Devin Singletary made a clear read, put his foot in the ground, with a beautiful cut back for a big gain. It was pretty.

Stroud continued to work the defense over. Finding WR Metchie for a chain moving first down in the flat. Followed by a play action bootleg for an easy gain with Stroud finding TE Eric Tomlinson in traffic.

One final play saw some go routes clear out a big zone for Dalton Schultz to turn and stop just past the chains for Stroud pass for an easy first down.

Favorite Plays of the Night

“Look at 51” I am quietly told. I look up to see DE Will Anderson lined up inside OG Shaq Mason’s shoulder. Anderson blasts off out off a cannon, Mason looked like he was in slow motion. Easy sack for Anderson.

WR Jesse Matthews puts a double move on CB Jacobi Francis heading towards the sideline with a Davis Mills ball headed his way. Matthews goes up over Francis pulling in the reception landing on the sideline. Ref calls it good. Defense goes into an uproar pointing to the divots in the grass beyond the chalk line.

WR Tank Dell ran a wild route covering a lot of ground with a crazy change of direction at the hash marks. Mill hit Dell over the middle of the field with an off placement throw, but Dell adjusted mid-air to pull in the pass.

Summary

Stories to continue to watch:

• C.J. Stroud is QB1. No further discussion needed.

• Middle linebacker battle with Perryman and To’o To’o.

• Tight end 2 with Eric Tomlinson and Teagan Quitoriano (when he returns from PUP/Active). The team does not have much depth at the position.

Back