Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans trading for QB Ryan Finley

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They judged Driskell to be better than Finley. All it cost was a 6th/7th rd pick swap and a vet min contract. You would think around these parts Caserio traded a 1st rd pick for Driskell. I would like to thank the usual suspects for humoring me this morning.
When did it dawn on them that Driskel (who I do like) would be available? There’s no good answer.

Unless Driskel was unexpectedly cut recently, which he wasn’t

Texian

Hall of Fame
Actually, here’s the following exchange:

Team: Finley, here’s your playbook on iPad.

Finley: Duhhhhhhhh!!!

Team: Duhhhh, gave you the wrong item. Give me the iPad and here’s your Pink Slip. Now get to steppin and good luck in the future.
And it was only a month ago you were touting Finley's 43 on his Wonderlic test.

Texian

Hall of Fame
They judged Driskell to be better than Finley. All it cost was a 6th/7th rd pick swap and a vet min contract. You would think around these parts Caserio traded a 1st rd pick for Driskell. I would like to thank the usual suspects for humoring me this morning.
Your attempts to justify Nick's incompetence is amusing.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Late ones is correct.

Early ones, he cares about.

I just really dont think that changing out a 6th rd pick for a 7th rd pick is a big deal when you have the QB issues the Texans have.

I do have an issue using a 2022 4th rd pick to trade up for Collins. I want as many picks as possible in the deep 2022 draft.

There is the chance we will have a plethora of draft picks, if / when we trade DW.

If the haul is anywhere near what some project, A #4 is expendable.

That's all I got.

:coffee:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Something must’ve happened that’s why they cut him so soon.
Davis Mills fell to them is what happened.
I wouldn't become too attached to Driskel, better options will become available. Low bar, but still.
Creating competition by using a 7th Rd pick on a blocking TE is a bad thing?
2022 depth picks are higher relative value than 2021, by a lot, so yeah didn't like that one. 2023 will be moreso, but at the top of of that draft. It's about who'll be declaring for those years.

Caserio has to balance the tension of wanting to win now (coaches, players, himself) with looking at this build through a longer lens. A few things seems clear: 1) He has a lot more realistic view of the draft, it's more a crapshoot than having super secret special insight that others don't; 2) He's going to take a lot more injury risks; 3) He going to be very active in the draft and has a history of same in the 'free' part of free agency; and 4) He'll lie to the media ('Deshaun Watson is our QB').

Unlike Rick who spent the majority of his days deciding what he was having for lunch and chasing skirts in corporate sales, Nick is all business all the time. The atmosphere in the building on the personnel side is muuuch different already. He's going to be good in pro personnel, it's wait and see on the draft. 2022/2023 will tell that tale. But for the first time in franchise history, we have a competent respected professional GM. We also have dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks Cal interfering, and that is a limiting factor. GMs need decent owners to have success -- Nick's fortunes may rest with how much he can reduce Cal's role.

Dejaview

All Pro
When did it dawn on them that Driskel (who I do like) would be available? There’s no good answer.

Unless Driskel was unexpectedly cut recently, which he wasn’t
Finley was signed in March. Driskel wasn’t cut until May 3. All reports had him signing with the Cowboys until Texans signed him May 20. Reports say Texans liked his veteran presence. After two workouts in OTA’s NC released Finley. My guess is Mills showed to be >>> Finley and NC wants veterans to accelerate Mills growth. Seems to me competition is working.

Dejaview

All Pro
Thinking trading out a 6th for a 7th for a backup QB is some kind of game changing mistake is amuzing.
Yep. Unfortunately the Texans, moving on from DW, needed to make the best decisions they can regarding camp QB’s because future releases can’t be predicted. So nice for some posters to live in second guess time and not real time. Makes em look sooooo smart. Now Mills won’t have to compete with Finley for throws in TC. All this could have been really different but the present just had to get in the way.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Davis Mills fell to them is what happened.

I wouldn't become too attached to Driskel, better options will become available. Low bar, but still.

2022 depth picks are higher relative value than 2021, by a lot, so yeah didn't like that one. 2023 will be moreso, but at the top of of that draft. It's about who'll be declaring for those years.

Caserio has to balance the tension of wanting to win now (coaches, players, himself) with looking at this build through a longer lens. A few things seems clear: 1) He has a lot more realistic view of the draft, it's more a crapshoot than having super secret special insight that others don't; 2) He's going to take a lot more injury risks; 3) He going to be very active in the draft and has a history of same in the 'free' part of free agency; and 4) He'll lie to the media ('Deshaun Watson is our QB').

Unlike Rick who spent the majority of his days deciding what he was having for lunch and chasing skirts in corporate sales, Nick is all business all the time. The atmosphere in the building on the personnel side is muuuch different already. He's going to be good in pro personnel, it's wait and see on the draft. 2022/2023 will tell that tale. But for the first time in franchise history, we have a competent respected professional GM. We also have dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks Cal interfering, and that is a limiting factor. GMs need decent owners to have success -- Nick's fortunes may rest with how much he can reduce Cal's role.
The only hiccup here is it was Cal McNair, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby who were all in on Nick Caserio becoming the Texans new GM. This should scare the bejeezus out of you.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The only hiccup here is it was Cal McNair, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby who were all in on Nick Caserio becoming the Texans new GM. This should scare the bejeezus out of you.
Except Bob McNair wanted Caserio before Easterby came on board.

But, yes this fact does make me apprehensive.

With that said, I'm willing to see how things turn out for a couple of yrs and I'm not going to be judging by W/L's, I'm going to be judging on if the rebuild is going properly and how many difference makers are added in the next couple of yrs. It's way to early to be making the judgements you're making Although I understand with the McNair's track record why you would think negatively about anything the McNair's do and chances are you will be correct.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Bob wanted Caserio simply b/c he was part of the team who was simply the best in NFL history. Fully understandable. Unfortunately, he passed before getting to see this move come to light.

OB wanted Caserio b/c he’d already worked with him in NE and probably felt Caserio could help him see his vision of building the Texans. My prediction, like Gaines this relationship would’ve soured if OB wasn’t getting his way.

Easterby arrived and kept both OB and Cal on the Caserio train.

OB finally proves his ineptitude as both a GM/HC and Cal finally came to his senses and fired OB.

Cal was in no position to play Jerry Jones and finally decided to reach out to Caserio with the help of Easterby and the Texans finally got their GM.

As for Caserio......he came into a very ugly situation and I’m sure he convinced Cal that his first moves in a handcuffed 2021 season were mostly going to be a simple culture change....out with the old and in with the new and hungry.

I’m really interested in seeing how Caserio moves his chess pieces between now and 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bob wanted Caserio simply b/c he was part of the team who was simply the best in NFL history. Fully understandable. Unfortunately, he passed before getting to see this move come to light.

OB wanted Caserio b/c he’d already worked with him in NE and probably felt Caserio could help him see his vision of building the Texans. My prediction, like Gaines this relationship would’ve soured if OB wasn’t getting his way.

Easterby arrived and kept both OB and Cal on the Caserio train.

OB finally proves his ineptitude as both a GM/HC and Cal finally came to his senses and fired OB.

Cal was in no position to play Jerry Jones and finally decided to reach out to Caserio with the help of Easterby and the Texans finally got their GM.

As for Caserio......he came into a very ugly situation and I’m sure he convinced Cal that his first moves in a handcuffed 2021 season were mostly going to be a simple culture change....out with the old and in with the new and hungry.

I’m really interested in seeing how Caserio moves his chess pieces between now and 2023.
Dysfunction

The McNair's wanted Caserio all along.

Kraft/Belichick screwed the Texans org and are the main reason the Texans are where they are. Except for RS picking DW4 and extending him to a max deal this was the greatest mistake the McNair's made.

Except for RS picking DW4 and extending him to a max deal this was the greatest mistake the McNair's made.
Hindsight is 20/20! I understand your feelings in regards to RS, but DW4 would have been taken by a lot of other teams, so a lot of GM's would have done as RS did. Unfortunately there is no way anybody could have known the situation DW4 would be in. If DW4 had not had these legal issues, RS's mistake could have been worth quite a bit in a trade this season. Maybe by next season his value goes back up. Hopefully that is the case.

texanhead08

All Pro
The worst part of the Caserio hiring was they spent 6 figures on a search firm to give them candidates and hired someone the search firm didn't recommend.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hindsight is 20/20! I understand your feelings in regards to RS, but DW4 would have been taken by a lot of other teams, so a lot of GM's would have done as RS did. Unfortunately there is no way anybody could have known the situation DW4 would be in. If DW4 had not had these legal issues, RS's mistake could have been worth quite a bit in a trade this season. Maybe by next season his value goes back up. Hopefully that is the case.
Remember in the draft thread posters go to they're professionals they know more than anybody else? LMAO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The worst part of the Caserio hiring was they spent 6 figures on a search firm to give them candidates and hired someone the search firm didn't recommend.
Cal went against the firm that gave him BOB. I would consider this a positive.

Was Cal spending your $$$$?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
We don't know what Cal asked the search firm, but I bet since they had been targeting Caserio for years it was show me who else I should consider so his name was never going to be on the list. Then he took Dungy's advice and did what he felt in his gut. We all have seen now that the curtain has been pulled back how awful it was in terms of culture and talent, so judging Caserio in year one is very hard with the cap and drafts he had to work with while he did a tear down and tried to keep a product on the field. Most GM's will miss or make mistakes, I like that he corrects his mistakes and to be honest none of the things we are hitting him hard on are the franchise weakening mistakes BOB was doing several times a year. While not perfect and I am still judging him (gave up my PSL's and tickets!), I bet he will be the best GM this franchise has had which isn't saying much