Texans Tight Ends

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Dalton Schultz (Yes!)
Teagan Quitoriano
Brevin Jordan
Andrew Beck (FB flexibility)
Mason Schreck

This room looks a whole lot better with a bonafide TE1. I’d still like to add another rookie to the mix, maybe where the team drafted their last two (5th round). But if one of the studs drops to 33 then its hard to pass on BPA and be giddy about all the two TE sets they will be able to run next season! TE is no longer a need position, but it could be BPA especially when considering scheme fit.

I like what Quitoriano showed last season. I think he is a capable blocker and his size gives him Darren Fells upside as a red zone threat in the passing game.

I think Jordan took a step back last season. I want someone that can be an upgrade over him for that move TE/H back role. Maybe Beck is that guy? Maybe Jordan steps it up in year three?

Schreck i’d say is a camp body.

As it stands now, this is the best TE room the Texans have had since the OD/Dreesen/Graham era.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Dalton Schultz (Yes!)
Teagan Quitoriano
Brevin Jordan
Andrew Beck (FB flexibility)
Mason Schreck

This room looks a whole lot better with a bonafide TE1. I’d still like to add another rookie to the mix, maybe where the team drafted their last two (5th round). But if one of the studs drops to 33 then its hard to pass on BPA and be giddy about all the two TE sets they will be able to run next season! TE is no longer a need position, but it could be BPA especially when considering scheme fit.

I like what Quitoriano showed last season. I think he is a capable blocker and his size gives him Darren Fells upside as a red zone threat in the passing game.

I think Jordan took a step back last season. I want someone that can be an upgrade over him for that move TE/H back role. Maybe Beck is that guy? Maybe Jordan steps it up in year three?

Schreck i’d say is a camp body.

As it stands now, this is the best TE room the Texans have had since the OD/Dreesen/Graham era.
While I agree this is the best TE group in a while, it is only because of the Schultz signing that makes it so. Everybody else is JAG. I would also like to see one of the top TE prospects drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Porky

Hall of Fame
And Schultz is a one year rental unless Nick steps up to the plate and locks him down. Take away Schultz and this group is dismal. I’m with the OP. It’s no longer a must have, but if a TE is BPA sooner rather than later, I’ve got no problem with the pick. That said, id expect a guy in the 4th-6th range as a developmental type.

And Schultz is a one year rental unless Nick steps up to the plate and locks him down. Take away Schultz and this group is dismal. I’m with the OP. It’s no longer a must have, but if a TE is BPA sooner rather than later, I’ve got no problem with the pick. That said, id expect a guy in the 4th-6th range as a developmental type.
Some of these 1 year deals make sense but wish we could have signed Schultz to a 2-3 year contract. That could’ve been Schultz’s preference rather than Casserio’s on this one.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Some of these 1 year deals make sense but wish we could have signed Schultz to a 2-3 year contract. That could’ve been Schultz’s preference rather than Casserio’s on this one.
Agreed. This is a total guess, but I think GM's might have been turned off by the last film they have on him from the playoff game where he loafed and made a couple of very lazy plays in key spots. I think that might be impacting his market right now. So...I'm guessing we won't see that loafing. He will ball out because he's playing for a LT contract. If he likes it here, I could see him signing if Nick would be willing to go longer term, but the more likely scenario is he takes off for greener pastures. Nick hasn't really shown much history of locking his short term rentals up to longer terms. If you're making an exception, a guy like Schultz would be one to make due to age and ability, but I'm leery that he'll do it.

And that would put TE right back under the microscope and a true need position in 2024. Of course, Nick will just find another 1 yr rental.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
If one of the big 4 TEs are at 33 its a good chance they are BPA. I would love to take one to pair with Schultz!

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Would Tucker Kraft (South Dakota State) be one of those 4 TE’s? If not, I’d be fine with drafting him in RD3.

For me its Mayer, Musgrave, Washington and Kincaid.

I’d put Kraft along with Laporta and Schoonmaker and they’d be in consideration round 3.

Day 3 targets would be Payne Durham and Brenton Strange. I think Strange would be a fun H back type. He is a tough blocker and good run after catch skills.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watch them extend him.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Just don’t think he’ll last that long, despite depth of class. Lot of teams are targeting TE in this draft class to get a stud on the cheap and develop into their culture.

Makes for some difficult decisions.
Agreed, best TE class in awhile. I have him, Kraft and Schoonmaker in that second tier after the top 4. I feel like one would be in the top 73. And if not, then i’d hope to get Strange or Durham late.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Agreed. This is a total guess, but I think GM's might have been turned off by the last film they have on him from the playoff game where he loafed and made a couple of very lazy plays in key spots. I think that might be impacting his market right now. So...I'm guessing we won't see that loafing. He will ball out because he's playing for a LT contract. If he likes it here, I could see him signing if Nick would be willing to go longer term, but the more likely scenario is he takes off for greener pastures. Nick hasn't really shown much history of locking his short term rentals up to longer terms. If you're making an exception, a guy like Schultz would be one to make due to age and ability, but I'm leery that he'll do it.

And that would put TE right back under the microscope and a true need position in 2024. Of course, Nick will just find another 1 yr rental.
Was Schultz loafing, or possibly fighting through an injury? I dunno. If he was loafing and balls out for a LT contract, I'd be very leery of signing him to that LT contract. If he was loafing, in a freaking playoff game, how is he going to do once he gets paid?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I absolutely love the Schultz signing and hope it means we don't chase unicorns in the draft. We've blown enough draft capital on te's in the last 2 decades.

Ps: Bennie Joppru coauthored this post. He wishes you all well but doesn't expect to take a snap this season either due to injury. Maybe next year?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Was Schultz loafing, or possibly fighting through an injury? I dunno. If he was loafing and balls out for a LT contract, I'd be very leery of signing him to that LT contract. If he was loafing, in a freaking playoff game, how is he going to do once he gets paid?
Some people were just making things bigger than it should.

Schultz' momentum was going to carry him out of bound.

I don't know how people think Schultz can be superhuman and do it better.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/dalton-schultz-pathetic-effort-cowboys-final-drive/610539

At the least, I don't see any evidence of him loafing.
The commentator was being over critical in the heat of the moment, I believe.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Some people were just making things bigger than it should.

Schultz' momentum was going to carry him out of bound.

I don't know how people think Schultz can be superhuman and do it better.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/dalton-schultz-pathetic-effort-cowboys-final-drive/610539

At the least, I don't see any evidence of him loafing.
The commentator was being over critical in the heat of the moment, I believe.
Honestly, after 47 years of watching NFL football, I didn't know that you had to be going forward while going out of bounds to stop the clock. I agree with you, that it would've taken superhuman effort to go forward after that hit he took, that close to the sideline.

michaelm

vox nihili
Honestly, after 47 years of watching NFL football, I didn't know that you had to be going forward while going out of bounds to stop the clock. I agree with you, that it would've taken superhuman effort to go forward after that hit he took, that close to the sideline.
The rule that a player must be going forward when going out of bounds in order for the clock to stop is relatively new. Maybe around five years or so? Memory fails me on the exact year

*edit* yes my memory failed me, catastrophiclly. The rule apparently changed in 2008.

Number19

Hall of Fame
The rule that a player must be going forward when going out of bounds in order for the clock to stop is relatively new. Maybe around five years or so? Memory fails me on the exact year

*edit* yes my memory failed me, catastrophiclly. The rule apparently changed in 2008.
What if the player is going forward, but is hit by the defender in bounds knocking him backwards out of bounds.