Who will start?

• Deshaun Watson

• Tyrod Taylor

• Rookie

• Other - post your choice

Results are only viewable after voting.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This is the most important issue on Texans horizon right now.
Please post any other thoughts relevant to this issue.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think Watson will be so embroiled in this litigation he will stay in Houston until next season when it will hopefully all be resolved one way or the other.
However, we will likely see T T starting games as Watson attends court, etc,.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Hell, Tyrod was probably brought in to simply be the starter since now Deshawn is looking at being suspended for a year. That’s why he was signed.
Yeah, Deshawn. Your going to sit out a year. But it has nothing to do with what you want and everything to do with the league.
It’s no coincidence that Taylor can start today and play in this specific offense.

Dejaview

All Pro
My guess is Taylor. DW isn’t playing for anyone until this issue is defined. The reputation of the NFL is at stake with these types of allegations And I can’t see them making any kind of decision until this has fully played out. if he’s guilty he’s probably screwed the pooch in the NFL. If he’s innocent I’m thinking a real mentor like DC is just what he will need to get his head straight again and hopefully this is his epiphany.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
My guess is Taylor. DW isn’t playing for anyone until this issue is defined. The reputation of the NFL is at stake with these types of allegations And I can’t see them making any kind of decision until this has fully played out. if he’s guilty he’s probably screwed the pooch in the NFL. If he’s innocent I’m thinking a real mentor like DC is just what he will need to get his head straight again and hopefully this is his epiphany.
If this litigation drags on into the regular season, I wouldn't play him as his mind is gonna be all messed up.
I am hoping this will all be done before then.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Right now, I don't really care who the QB is. 2021 is going to suck, and frankly, needs to suck, for the Texans to get some draft capital and start climbing out of this shithole they're in.

Not to demean the seriousness of what's going on with Watson and his accusers, but damn if the football gods couldn't have waited until after the draft for this **** to hit the fan. That is, if the Texans were going to trade him and collect a haul.

Dejaview

All Pro
If this litigation drags on into the regular season, I wouldn't play him as his mind is gonna be all messed up.
I am hoping this will all be done before then.
Who said he’s gonna play here. Thats the big 156 million dollar question. You can’t trade him. Who would trade a butt load of picks for a guy that could be possibly out of the NFL for an indefinite period? His eligibility to play has to be in the hands of the NFL who will do anything to make the game family friendly and politically correct. DW needs to get on his knees in Galveston and crawl to NRG to ask for forgiveness. This guy is headed towards being a picture in a dictionary.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Who said he’s gonna play here. Thats the big 156 million dollar question. You can’t trade him. Who would trade a butt load of picks for a guy that could be possibly out of the NFL for an indefinite period? His eligibility to play has to be in the hands of the NFL who will do anything to make the game family friendly and politically correct. DW needs to get on his knees in Galveston and crawl to NRG to ask for forgiveness. This guy is headed towards being a picture in a dictionary.
He definitely needs to climb down off his high horse now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
WTF are these guys doing with the trades for guys about to be cut? So far, not impressed with Mr. Caserio, of course I still believe the guy who's had a hand in the very bad deals recently, still has quite a bit of sway.
I agree, trading for guys about to be cut looks bad on Caserio. But... I’m not seeing the Easterby connection.

for this guy, I wonder how attached Caserio got to him when scouting him. Still, you’d think he could wine & dine mr nobody & still get him cheap.

Number19

Hall of Fame
WTF are these guys doing with the trades for guys about to be cut? So far, not impressed with Mr. Caserio, of course I still believe the guy who's had a hand in the very bad deals recently, still has quite a bit of sway.
If you wait until he's cut, he becomes a free agent and you are bidding against other teams. He has two years left on his contract. That is what you are getting with a trade.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If you wait until he's cut, he becomes a free agent and you are bidding against other teams. He has two years left on his contract. That is what you are getting with a trade.
Don't these guys have to go through waivers? If so, the Texans are 3rd.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Don't these guys have to go through waivers? If so, the Texans are 3rd.
I don't know. Good question. If he must go through waivers, does that mean his old contract is still valid, or can the player negotiate a new contract? What if he doesn't like the terms being offered? I don't know how this works.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don't know. Good question. If he must go through waivers, does that mean his old contract is still valid, or can the player negotiate a new contract? What if he doesn't like the terms being offered? I don't know how this works.
If he has to go through waivers, he's a FA and has no contract

Number19

Hall of Fame
If he has to go through waivers, he's a FA and has no contract
I googled on my computer when I got home and it seems to me only veterans with 4 years are FA's. Otherwise, for those players with less seasons, I read that: "Any player on waivers is subject to having their contract claimed by any other NFL team"

Do you think I interpreted this incorrectly?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I googled on my computer when I got home and it seems to me only veterans with 4 years are FA's. Otherwise, for those players with less seasons, I read that: "Any player on waivers is subject to having their contract claimed by any other NFL team"

Do you think I interpreted this incorrectly?
No, until they become vested they are RFA's

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Looks like its Tyrod Taylor's job to lose at this point.
Once Watson is traded, we will need another QB.
Unless he has already been signed, one guy that could be on Caserio's radar is Joshua Dobbs.
Said to be very intelligent and has good size, arm strength and mobility.
Wonder what it would cost to lure him away from Pittsburg?

Jack Burton

Veteran
Unless he has already been signed, one guy that could be on Caserio's radar is Joshua Dobbs.
They would have to trade from him, correct?
They just traded for Finely. I think QB is basically set regardless of Watsons situation.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think McCarron is still a FA. If he isn’t signed, I think the Texans would sign him back.

TexCanada

All Pro
At this point we should just be going full tank for a couple years, and trading Watson if he ever becomes a positive asset again. We really shouldn’t be drafting a QB for a couple seasons until we’ve built up the rest of our team, or unless we feel like a top tier QB has fallen in our laps. Invest in the trenches and go from there. Embrace the suck.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At this point we should just be going full tank for a couple years, and trading Watson if he ever becomes a positive asset again. We really shouldn’t be drafting a QB for a couple seasons until we’ve built up the rest of our team, or unless we feel like a top tier QB has fallen in our laps. Invest in the trenches and go from there. Embrace the suck.
We should be building a competitive team & stockpiling draft picks so when there is a QB we believe in we can maneuver to get him

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
When is a "Pocket QB" not a pocket QB? When they have the Texans OL.

When is a "Dual Threat QB" most effective? When they have an OL that permits them to be a "Pocket QB" first and a running/throwing QB second.

What should the term be for a Texans QB not yet coined in the annals of NFL QB discussions? "Survivalist QB" Definition: A QB that has a set passing play and on 70% or more of their dropbacks must survive the defensive onslaught from most any direction or all directions on the majority of dropbacks, thus scrapping called play and finding a way to survive to play another down.

Texans have proven hands down that they have no idea how to develop a QB or build an OL (sorry maybe 3 years of decent to top 5 OL). I hope Caserio decides to make the OL the "FIRST" priority and QB later. Texans have Taylor for the next 2 seasons and I'd truly be disappointed if they wasted their #67 pick on a QB......this is not a position of need at the moment.
I am confident new oline coach Campen will be a dramatically better coach than Devlin.
That does not mean the oline will have moments where a bullrush or three won't get through but then again even good ones can break down under a good attack - that is when a good QB who can move in or out of the pocket proves his value.
You don't want the best pocket passer in the world if he is a statue.

Jack Burton

Veteran
A lot here. I'll give it more attention later. Right now I'm at Whataburger.

But my research of Reid's offense is that he has designed plays for the QB running the ball. His offense puts pressure on the defense because they always have to account for this. That's why the QB is a dual threat.

I read mention that there is a play in their playback called an inverted wishbone. Don't know what that is but it sounds interesting.
Dude, every team has plays that call for the QB to run the football. Cmon, man.
Mahomes had 300 rushing yards and 2 TDS last year.
He threw for 5000 yards and almost 40 TDS
He’s a pocket passer.

This idea that these QBs are “dual-threat” is just a bad take.
All that means is your QB is terrible in the pocket so as the HC, you have to get him in space and free him up to make plays on the run or with his feet. This is also common in young rookie QBs because they are comfortable doing this. This works for just a short period of time and teams are able to contain the QB in the pocket and force him into his biggest weakness. If the HC presses the issue and tries to continue on this course, the QB inevitably ends up injured from taking too many hits outside the pocket where teams can tee off on him.

Justin Herbert had nearly identical numbers as Mahomes and he was a rookie. Both are able to break contain take off and make plays with their feet when they have to, but that is not the primary focus of their offense.
Throwing from the pocket is.

You do understand that pocket accuracy is the benchmark by which all of these NFL teams draft QBs, right?
By far the most important trait in a QB to any NFL team is making plays CONSISTENTLY from the pocket.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
Dude, every team has plays that call for the QB to run the football. Cmon, man.
Mahomes had 300 rushing yards and 2 TDS last year.
He threw for 5000 yards and almost 40 TDS
He’s a pocket passer.

This idea that these QBs are “dual-threat” is just a bad take.
All that means is your QB is terrible in the pocket so as the HC, you have to get him in space and free him up to make plays on the run or with his feet. This is also common in young rookie QBs because they are comfortable doing this. This works for just a short period of time and teams are able to contain the QB in the pocket and force him into his biggest weakness. If the HC presses the issue and tries to continue on this course, the QB inevitably ends up injured from taking too many hits outside the pocket where teams can tee off on him.

Justin Herbert had nearly identical numbers as Mahomes and he was a rookie. Both are able to break contain take off and make plays with their feet when they have to, but that is not the primary focus of their offense.
Throwing from the pocket is.

You do understand that pocket accuracy is the benchmark by which all of these NFL teams draft QBs, right?
By far the most important trait in a QB to any NFL team is making plays CONSISTENTLY from the pocket.
I'm not saying a dual threat QB can't, or doesn't, throw from the pocket. The definition of dual threat is exactly that, both running and passing. A dual threat QB is one that puts pressure on the defense because the defense has to respect, and plan for, the QB run. This dimension is a major component of the offense, although it may not be as important as the pocket pass or a RB run.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I'm not saying a dual threat QB can't, or doesn't, throw from the pocket. The definition of dual threat is exactly that, both running and passing. A dual threat QB is one that puts pressure on the defense because the defense has to respect, and plan for, the QB run. This dimension is a major component of the offense, although it may not be as important as the pocket pass or a RB run.
Yeah, that’s not really what the definition of “dual threat QB” historically means though.
It means a QB who rushes for a thousand yards and passes for two thousand in a season. Like Michael Vick did in 2006.
Problem is injuries. Vick simply could not sustain those rushing attempts and his numerous injuries took their toll on him. These kinds of QBs never last because once he breaks contain and takes off, all bets are off and he’s an easy target for the defense.

I think ideally we’re on the same page though.
We want a QB who can throw consistently from the pocket and when the pocket collapses for whatever reason, he can take off and make plays with his feet.
Like Watson, like Mahomes, like Herbert, like Allen, like Jackson, like Wilson.

Im not sure Mond is truly one of these guys. He has some traits of both but he is wildly erratic at times too. I do think Mond is better than Fields and light years better than Lance.
Mills is elite in the pocket and can when pressed make plays with his feet but he’s definitely not Mahomes level.
The more we talk the more I think we need to wait until next year and tank this season.
HOU would have its choice of Howell or Rattler.
I really like both of them.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, that’s not really what the definition of “dual threat QB” historically means though.
It means a QB who rushes for a thousand yards and passes for two thousand in a season. Like Michael Vick did in 2006.
Problem is injuries. Vick simply could not sustain those rushing attempts and his numerous injuries took their toll on him. These kinds of QBs never last because once he breaks contain and takes off, all bets are off and he’s an easy target for the defense.

I think ideally we’re on the same page though.
We want a QB who can throw consistently from the pocket and when the pocket collapses for whatever reason, he can take off and make plays with his feet.
Like Watson, like Mahomes, like Herbert, like Allen, like Jackson, like Wilson.

Im not sure Mond is truly one of these guys. He has some traits of both but he is wildly erratic at times too. I do think Mond is better than Fields and light years better than Lance.
Mills is elite in the pocket and can when pressed make plays with his feet but he’s definitely not Mahomes level.
The more we talk the more I think we need to wait until next year and tank this season.
HOU would have its choice of Howell or Rattler.
I really like both of them.

Check out Strong from Nevada too.

He's very talented.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
No. This team has never focused on stockpiling draft picks for future use. When we trade multiple firsts, we trade future picks.

If we had a 1st this year, instead of picking a flashy could be, we should trade down acquiring future picks & a solid player.
Makes sense when you put it that way.

I know you know this but I will type it anyway. You got to have a willing trade partner.

If I remember correctly Texans couldn’t find a willing trade partner to trade the pick they used on Clowney.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Mods move to correct thread. I figured it was tied to Watson's legal issues with the start of the article. But could be also about Nick C, Culley or something else.

Guess it finally comes out to why we signed Taylor. Found this in my news feed. Apparently Nick C indicated that we were going to have to get a plan B if Watson could not be kept and/or due to the legal issues.

The part I found interesting was the comments in the article about Taylor being familiar with the system. The question is WHAT system? Is he saying that we are going to use the system he used in Buffalo? Or a system similar to another that Taylor has played in? It says that he knows Culley and Pep. So anyone else know what it could be indicating as a system?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Just a crazy thought. Let’s say Wentz has a solid 2021 season with the Colts and they now see him as their long-term solution. In the meantime, Caserio and the Texans have put feelers out to Andrew Luck and his potential desire to return......and he’s leaning towards the idea of returning. How would folks feel if the Texans offered the Colts their 2022 RD2 (1st) or RD1 (last option) for the rights to Andrew Luck? Of course this offer would only be extended if the Texans have confirmed Luck is willing to come back and play for them. The last hurdle would be to finalize his contract.